View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 1:04 pm

Quite a big subject Razz

But with Clif, we have begun to try and make some basics of Felarya established once and for all. Until now, the foundations were not very stable and pretty vague. So we are looking to make things more coherent and established now. And you are welcome to participate Wink

Here is the text that Cliff wrote ( with slight additions by me )

Quote :
- The Felaryan plane
Felarya, despite its initial appearance is not a world in the sense of the word that we are familiar with. It is a nearly infinite, and ever expanding dimensional plane. The easiest way to picture Felarya is to think of it as a massive disk that is gradually expanding outward. Forming a ring around the perimeter of the disk is a massive dimensional rift. This rift connects to the opposite side of the rift. This gives Felarya the appearance of a spherical world, and it is indeed possible to circumnavigate Felarya, if you can survive the trip.

The next main feature of the Felaryan dimensional plane is the sky itself. Felarya has no “space” around it like a normal world would. There is no way to view it from space. The sky of Felarya is divided into layers, like the atmosphere of a normal planet, but at the point where you would enter into orbit on a normal world, is a massive dimensional rift in the sky of Felarya. Once you pass through this rift, you leave Felarya and appear at a random point in the empty space of the universe.
For example, if you were to fly straight up in a rocket, you would eventually reach the rift and pass through. If you only looked straight ahead, it would appear to you like you’d simply flown into orbit and entered space. Upon looking behind you, all you would see is empty space, since you have left Felarya through the rift. Once you exit this way, there is no way back.
Of course, if Felarya has a vertical barrier to its plane, there must also be a subterranean one as well. The ground of Felarya is also layered and structured similar to a normal planet’s. But if you were to dig down deep enough (many miles) you would pass through the subterranean rift. You would then appear several miles under the ground of a random planet in the universe. If you kept looking straight ahead, you would just seem to be digging like normal, but once you pass the rift, looking back would only reveal a wall of dirt. Felarya would be gone and you couldn’t go back. This scenario is highly unlikely though, since it would be nearly impossible for any living creature, or machine to dig that deep.

The Felaryan sky
One of the great mysteries of Felarya is the sky itself. It is a documented fact that Felarya has no “space” around it and is essentially a flat, disk-shaped plane lying under a dimensional rift in the sky. This brings certain questions to mind, like, How is there a sun? How is there a moon? How is there a day/night cycle? and so on.
The rift in the skies of Felarya shifts nearly as much as the world itself and observant people will notice that the stars and moons change sometimes - ( though this occurs not very often ) . The rift in the sky aligns itself to a random star in the universe to use to heat Felarya.

*Something* in the dimensional chemistry of Felarya itself actually controls, to a degree, where the dimension of Felarya will connect to real-space. This is why the rift in the sky always connects to certain sized stars and at a certain distance from them. This keeps Felarya at roughly the same temperature. The same principle applies to the night cycle. The rift will connect to certain sized moons, at a certain distance to maintain Felarya’s tidal cycle and so on.
This control in the dimensional chemistry of Felarya could also explain why it seems that only human inhabited worlds get connected to Felarya. The plane of Felarya only seems to connect to worlds with a similar environment to its own.

This is most likely a safety measure in place to ensure a natural equilibrium. Given the sheer size of the universe, and the possibility that Felarya can potentially connect to multiple universes…there would still be millions, if not billions of compatible worlds, stars and moons for Felarya to potentially connect to.

Nothing is engraved in the stone at this point, so thoughts, remarks and suggestions welcome ^_^
But keep the conversation CVIVIL please
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Flare
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 1:32 pm

So, correct me if I'm wrong...but this mean Felarya's actually flat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Flare wrote:
So, correct me if I'm wrong...but this mean Felarya's actually flat?

Essentially. Although, you DO have mountains and deep seas and such. Its only flat in the sense that it isnt spherical. The rift around the perimeter gives the appearance that it is spherical though. You'd never notice the rift was there. To you, the world would just seem to go on and double back on itself like a spherical one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
observer88
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Though if Felarya is flat then there wouldn't be any curvature of the horizon when seen from high up. In fact would there even be a horizon? I guess it would be quite a panorama.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://observer88.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm

An explanation about the gravity is missing, I mean a little explanation about how things and the inhabitants are attracted to the ground. About the sky an explanation which give an idea about the meteorological activities in overall. Some example of phenomenons watched in different area of Felarya showing how the different change of moons and stars can affect some phenomenon liked the tide Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 2:05 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
An explanation about the gravity is missing, I mean a little explanation about how things and the inhabitants are attracted to the ground. About the sky an explanation which give an idea about the meteorological activities in overall. Some example of phenomenons watched in different area of Felarya showing how the different change of moons and stars can affect some phenomenon liked the tide Razz

Hmm, well keep in mind, the ground of Felarya IS many miles deep. The plane of Felarya would still have mass and have a gravitational force. Or it could be explained by the dimensional chemistry of Felarya. Its a dimensional plain trying to mimic a planet. The gravity could be generated by the dimensional plane itself. Some things will be impossible to adequately explain, im afraid...and will have to be blamed on extra-dimensional physics, and the unique behavior of a pocket dimension like Felarya.

As for the moons and such, I even said in my theory that the dimensional chemistry of Felarya makes sure that when it does align to a different moon or star, it keeps at the proper distance to ensure that the natural equilibrium is maintained. The tidal cycles of Felarya would continue like normal.
Back to top Go down
Asuroth

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 pm

A little curious here about the size of Felarya's atmosphere and it's connecting to moons and stars- first the big question on my mind is, does this mean Felarya temporarily grapples a different moon or star when it adjusts to a new one into its dimension for the time being? As I understand from a far enough distance away from Felarya, namely the atmosphere layers mentioned, other things in space have no real effect because it's not really there so a sun at a proper distance to say heat the planet would be rather far away... Put short, if the dimension limit is only it's atmosphere that doesn't leave much room for a sun to heat it without having the place burn up or are star's heat energies allowed to cross this rift where Felarya is placed?

Another thing to note is if Felarya is aligning to different stars to keep its chemistry stable could this mean it throws stars not in its universe out of orbit elsewhere by introducing a new mass for that star to be effected by its gravity? The last question doesn't concern me as much but the first is a bit confusing for me if that could be clarified some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asuroth.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Asuroth wrote:
A little curious here about the size of Felarya's atmosphere and it's connecting to moons and stars- first the big question on my mind is, does this mean Felarya temporarily grapples a different moon or star when it adjusts to a new one into its dimension for the time being? As I understand from a far enough distance away from Felarya, namely the atmosphere layers mentioned, other things in space have no real effect because it's not really there so a sun at a proper distance to say heat the planet would be rather far away... Put short, if the dimension limit is only it's atmosphere that doesn't leave much room for a sun to heat it without having the place burn up or are star's heat energies allowed to cross this rift where Felarya is placed?

Another thing to note is if Felarya is aligning to different stars to keep its chemistry stable could this mean it throws stars not in its universe out of orbit elsewhere by introducing a new mass for that star to be effected by its gravity? The last question doesn't concern me as much but the first is a bit confusing for me if that could be clarified some.

Well, as far the size...the Felarya atmosphere would probably not be too different from Earth's. That includes a layer to protect against too much radiation. It doesnt "draw in" other stars and moons to it. It aligns itself to them. The rift allows the heat of the star to come in and heat the world. Its more like opening a window than anything else. It doesnt actually influence the star at all. Felarya doesnt draw the star out of real-space or appear in real-space near the star. It just positions its rift so that its the proper distance away to maintain Felarya's natural equilibrium as it lets the heat and the light of the star in.

Its kind of like a two-way mirror. No one in real-space would see anything different than than the usual...but people in Felarya would be able to see the star the sky is aligned to just fine.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 3:09 pm

It's good to rest assured that Felarya isn't Discworld.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asuroth

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 3:15 pm

First...I couldn't help but laugh seeing that picture, I'd imagine those elephants would get bored just standing there all the time! And thanks for the response about that stuff, I had a feeling it might have been envisioned to work something like that way with regards to the mirror but wasn't quite sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asuroth.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Asuroth wrote:
First...I couldn't help but laugh seeing that picture, I'd imagine those elephants would get bored just standing there all the time! And thanks for the response about that stuff, I had a feeling it might have been envisioned to work something like that way with regards to the mirror but wasn't quite sure.

You're welcome. Im trying my best to make these ideas coherent, lol. I know Karbo and I hurt our brains a couple times when we thought some of this up.

lol, nice pic, Fish. But no worries, Felarya isnt disk world. The rift around the end connects to itself to give the illusion of a spherical world. You'd never know the rift was even there. The world would just go on and you'd come out on the opposite side of the plane.
Back to top Go down
Flare
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Something now I have to ask: Tides. What's up with them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 6:24 pm

Wait, so if Felarya is a pocket dimension, whose pocket is it in! oh I hope they don’t wash their pants, or else Felarya is going to get all wet and soapy! Maybe we better go find someone that can keep Fealrya safe for us. I think I know a friend who has a little extra dimensional space that would work nicely Razz

And if Felarya is a disk, then wouldn’t that mean that there is an exact center of Felarya? Hmm, I wonder where that could be. Perhaps there is some significant landmark there, such as a temple or a mountain or a GAINT TREE! Buh buh BUM!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Flare wrote:
Something now I have to ask: Tides. What's up with them?

A combination of the moons in the sky and the dimensional physics of Felarya that cause it to mimic a "real" world, I imagine.

Quote :
Zalzas:
And if Felarya is a disk, then wouldn’t that mean that there is an exact center of Felarya? Hmm, I wonder where that could be. Perhaps there is some significant landmark there, such as a temple or a mountain or a GAINT TREE! Buh buh BUM!
Hmm...technically, I guess there could be a "center" but since the rifts on the perimeter connect to eachother and make the world act as if it was spherical, I dont know if you could have a center. It depends how you look at it, I guess, lol.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun

PostSubject: Re: Felarya physics   Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 pm

Well, if it was a disk, regardless of how the edges acted, there would still have to be a center. The giant tree might actually be the centre...I think for map making ease it would be useful to put the first map area on the map (the familiar map) the center of Felarya and everything is built outwards from there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/

Felarya physics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next