Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Legendary Dryads

Go down 
+2
Pendragon
Rythmear
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

The Legendary Dryads Empty
PostSubject: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 5:41 am

(This came to me in a dream - I suspect I was influenced greatly by the television show "Twin Peaks")

At a certain time of year, for a span of exactly one month, it is possible to encounter what is possibly the most sinister creature - if creature it is - in Felarya, at least as far as the Dryad's are concerned... Or so say the maddened explorers who endlessly gibber in the corners of taverns, living off scraps and terrifying those around them with rambling tales of the legendary Black Dryad.

The Black Dryad exists only for a short span say these few men who claim to have seen it... it shimmers into vision only for those consumed by fear, for it is they who are most afflicted by it. It is still possible for the brave at heart to behold it, but only if in the company of one whose heart is stung by terror.

Unlike normal Dryads, and other creatures of Felarya, the Black Dryad is not truly 'alive'... nor is it dead. It almost works like clockwork, its hollow eyes sockets never really focussed on you as its black thorny roots take hold of you. It's charcoal black skin melds with ashen bark to form a towering being of evil that is almost invisible at night.

But beyond its skin, lies an even more maddening interior...

When consumed by the Black Dryad - and here many tavern goers begin to doubt the story - there is no 'digestion' as such, no stomach acid... it's as if beyond their surface they are empty, pure darkness. You fall, and fall, and fall, and finally land in black oily water...

You can flail in desperation to keep from drowning, but even the most powerful swimmer will be sucked under eventually... strangely everything is clear in this liquid, and you see in the water, your own self... your double... where you are weak and afraid, with a good heart, they are strong and confident... and as wicked as the creature that consumed you...

They know you - they know all your fears and secrets... they use them against you... drive you mad.

And if you are not already consumed by insanity, then you finally feel the oily water turning to earth around you, and you claw desperately to the surface, and find yourself surrounded by the forest, far from where you were, blessing the day you escaped from that awful place.

Many are skeptical at the existence of such a horrifying creature, but as much as these people would like to discount these rumors, there remains still one more part of the story...

Just like everything in nature, the Black Dryad has its opposite... the White Dryad.

If the sightings of the Black Dryad are rare, almost non-existent are those of the White Dryad...

Only one man claims to have seen it and walk away, but he is conveniently the only sane person to have ever brought proof back of these Dryads...

If you ask Gunther nicely enough, and he trusts you, he will share his most closely guarded secret with you...

He will tell of the day he encountered a twitching young man in the Felaryan jungles, crawling slowly forward with a look of total bliss on his face.

He knew in an instant the young boy was quite, quite insane... and he was inexplicably soaking wet, even though there was no water for miles... and yet, something happened then that no amount of insanity can account for.

Gunther saw no flesh, no bark, but he did see the glow... the light. It was bright in a way that made him remove his goggles, and actually bare his face to it, as though it actually cleansed him just to be touched by it.

It was as though a hand of pure light reached for the young man, tenderly scooping him from the ground... and through his twitching and mental instability... Gunther saw a look of peace on the young mans face.

And a voice echoed then in Gunther's head, as though he was thinking the words rather than hearing them. And it sounded almost like the voice had been spoken backwards, and then played forwards, so each word was warped...

"Boy who has seen himself... next time you see someone you know, you will not leave them, and you will not want to..."

And in one, tender motion, the hand lifted the boy to where the face would presumably be, and placed him inside, where a bright flash of light signaled his disappearance... and then the voice spoke again.

"Man who sees much..." And here the voice spoke almost warningly. "Next time you see me..." and the next words filled Gunther with fear, as it was clearly two voices that spoke, "It Will Not Be Me..."

To this day, Gunther always flees the forest to a village whenever he feels fear beginning to overtake him... and he constantly works to drive fear from his heart, lest the White Dryad's warning ring true, and his judgment await him in the depths of the Black Dryad...
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 6:17 am

Whoa.

You've left me speechless. Such an incredible find... It's... beyond words.

I can't even contemplate these dryads, let alone imagine encountering them. It scares me to no end.

At least the people survive the encounters (if you really call that "surviving")
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Wow interesting Smile
The descriptions are amazing ! I like how mysterious it sounded , it really loked like a legend ^_^
As you see it, what happens to those that are "consumed" by a white dryad ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Icalasari
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Icalasari

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Holy hell...

You have just inspired me, good sir. You put the very GODS in my card game to shame with your description of such beasts...

And from that description, I get the feeling that the white dryad and the black dryad may be one and the same...
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Karbo wrote:
Wow interesting Smile
The descriptions are amazing ! I like how mysterious it sounded , it really loked like a legend ^_^
As you see it, what happens to those that are "consumed" by a white dryad ?

Well, I personally see it as essentially being a sort of personal paradise. A place of eternal rest and bliss where people who are troubled can find refuge from the world. It's not so much heaven as it is a place of peace, sort of like Limbo - except for those who aren't really dead.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:01 pm

So, its either madness by bliss or insanity from fear? Anyway, are there any rumors on their origins that you could state? I'm interested as to how they were formed.
Back to top Go down
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Origins I haven't really thought about... I've always seen them as a kind of 'always been there' thing.
Back to top Go down
Hunter
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 1:29 pm

pale
Back to top Go down
http://X89.deviantart.com
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 3:27 pm

Eh?
Back to top Go down
Hunter
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 7:34 am

I is scared
Back to top Go down
http://X89.deviantart.com
Rythmear
Survivor
Survivor
Rythmear

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 5:27 pm

*ahem* Well put.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Legendary Dryads   The Legendary Dryads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Legendary Dryads
Page 1 of 1