Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How big are the Titans?

Go down 
+7
Oldman40k2003
rcs619
FalconJudge
/Fish/
Sillysausage
L'Ryn
spike833
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
spike833
Marauder of the deep jungle
spike833

How big are the Titans? Empty
PostSubject: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 11:10 pm

I don't think its been brought up, and if it has, I haven't seen it, but how tall are the titans that existed (still exist?) in Felarya.

My friend Nickster 5 and I were working on our own Felarya story and it involves a few titans awakening in Felarya and causing trouble for the main
protagonists including official Felarya characters (generally more indirectly) and protagonists of our own (see the monster character whose name we are voting on in the character forum).

With Felarya having so many giant creatures and people anyways, to have the titans be depicted as being far more enormous than many beings and being able to crush trees and massive destruction that would take centuries to fix (as said in the wiki), Nickster 5 and I figure that they would have to be pushing the 2,000 - 4,000 foot range.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
L'Ryn
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
L'Ryn

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 1:53 am

I'm going to try to be nice here.

If the Titans woke back up and some 167 foot dragon dude starts duking it out with them, this would wreak massive damage upon Felarya. The Guardians will probably step in and stop it. I'm sorry, but Felarya is not the place for kaiju battles of epic proportions like you seem to be planning.

What I'm trying to say is, this is well on the verge of becoming the next Crisis and Scarecrow. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but it's true. Anyway, I'm sure you all are perfectly capable of making your own world where 60,000 foot titanic people can fight against 167 foot dragon dudes who wear nonsensical shades.
Back to top Go down
Sillysausage
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Sillysausage

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 2:11 am

I'll have to agree with L'Ryn here. I know that everyone's interpretation of Felarya is different, but I can say with total honesty that if you hadn't used the words Crisis and Felarya in your descriptions, I would have thought you were making your own world, because it seems so different from everyone elses verisons.

I know that stories with huge epic threats that endanger the whole planet can be really cool - but Felarya's different from normal fantasy, in that it's hundreds of smaller, more personal characters, not some muscle-bound hero who has to save all the nameless nagas and faeries because they apparently can't look after themselves.

And the Guardians are the most powerful known beings on the planet, and their main purpose seems to be to keep the balance by destroying huge threats themselves. They'd have to be either destroyed, incapacitated or simply not strong enough, and making a character that is either more capable of them, or making him do their job for them is pretty much jumping the shark right from the start.
Back to top Go down
http://ironkitty.deviantart.com/
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 3:40 am

Perhaps it may have been the way I've revealed the story so far, or perhaps some misunderstanding, but our story is not some mind numbing, action fest with a kaiju that becomes some sort of supreme protector of Felarya, or champion of the Guardians, or whatever. Sure, there IS action, and some of the characters are a bit more fast paced and creepy than most others, but the story becomes far more intimate than that.

I don't know, maybe in some of the writing, I'll admit, I've most likely made some of the big characters sound alot more like a bunch of UPC's rather than what they actually are.

Now, the story we had planned is sort of a long running one, and these titans are only a small part of the story. There are very few fight scenes with these characters, and most of which take place a great distance away from the main characters. When the number of titans reaches 5 titans, it VERY VERY quickly goes back down to 4 when Quaz appears and shows them one essential rule: size doesn't matter that much. In a very short time, he effortlessly kills one of the titans, causing the others to retreat.

As for the kaiju character, yes I know, he's probably one of the weirdest suggestions for a Felarya character anyone has seen yet. Once again, I'm pretty sure I probably made him sound like some sort of uber powerful bigshot who fights the bad guys, saves the day, and wins the girl in the end.

No, its too dull. It goes far deeper than that. I don't like the idea that he wins easily and saves the girl. Besides, I really don't see Crisis as the type who goes "Yay! You saved me! I'm all yours". Its a little more like "Thanks, but, whats the catch?"

This may sound like I'm trying to change the discussion, but I put this thread up to discuss how big are titans in Felarya. After all, the character forums is a better place to settle the issue regarding our story. I know that our story is very unusual, and looks like it would be a disaster, but its in development and we are open to suggestions and are working to get this thing as Felarya compatable as possible.

Sometime, I'm going to put up a thread in the story discussion forum, and there, I'll clear up any misconceptions, explain our angle, and take suggestions and advice to make the story work out for Felarya.

Last edited by G-Man1989 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:20 pm

G-Man1989 wrote:
Perhaps it may have been the way I've revealed the story so far, or perhaps some misunderstanding, but our story is not some action fest with a kaiju that becomes some sort of supreme protector of Felarya, or champion of the Guardians, or whatever you may think. Sure, there IS action, and some of the characters are a bit more fast paced and creepy than most others, but the story becomes far more intimate than that.

I don't know, maybe in some of the writing, I admit, I most likely made some of the big characters sound alot more like a bunch of UPC's than what they actually are.

Now, the story we had planned is sort of a long running one, and these titans are only a small part of the story. There are very few fight scenes with these characters, and most of which take place a great distance away from the main characters. When the number of titans reaches 5 titans, it VERY VERY quickly goes back down to 4 when Quaz appears and shows them one essential rule: size doesn't matter that much. In a very short time, he effortlessly kills one of the titans, causing the others to retreat.

Protip: Don't use Guardians in your story. They were never intended to be usable characters one can borrow, or plot devices you can invoke. However cool it would seem. If what you want to do requires them to show up, you're probably really doing it wrong.

Quaz might want to sleep in that day and doesn't want some whipper-snapper writer to make him go and stab something.

Titans were large beings which are now cryptic. I think it would be logical to assume that now, the ones that would pose a significant danger, no longer exist or there are sufficient means in place to prevent them from becoming a danger (ala the alleged sealing of Alcazath the Titan King). In other words, no good reason to assume you'd have any kind of immediate danger for your plot should some happen to start walking around, or that they would even be available to be. Not exactly the Titans of Greek mythology here- no busting a bunch of nasties out of Tartarus for a brawl methinks..

My guess is that Titans are somewhere in the 150 - 300 foot tall range. I think you'll really just have to ask Karbo when he gets back before you jump into your plot, both about size and threat. Because ' 2,000 ft tall immediate threat to Felarya that needs a Guardian to bonk them in the head' does not sound right to me.

May I interest you in a giant grumpy earth elemental instead?
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:18 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Protip: Don't use Guardians in your story. They were never intended to be usable characters one can borrow, or plot devices you can invoke. However cool it would seem. If what you want to do requires them to show up, you're probably really doing it wrong.?

So... We can't use Guardians as plot devices? May I ask for some clarification: One of the (many) storys I'm thinking of writing involves the main characters being sent to deliver a powerful artifact to Nemyra for safe-keeping, the actual point of the mission secretly being to get eaten on the way so the treasure would never be found...

Does using a Guardian as an unobtainable bait-and-switch goalpoint for an adventure count?

/Fish/ wrote:

I thought that Titans were exactly like that...
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:34 pm

FalconJudge wrote:
/Fish/ wrote:
Protip: Don't use Guardians in your story. They were never intended to be usable characters one can borrow, or plot devices you can invoke. However cool it would seem. If what you want to do requires them to show up, you're probably really doing it wrong.?

So... We can't use Guardians as plot devices? May I ask for some clarification: One of the (many) storys I'm thinking of writing involves the main characters being sent to deliver a powerful artifact to Nemyra for safe-keeping, the actual point of the mission secretly being to get eaten on the way so the treasure would never be found...

Does using a Guardian as an unobtainable bait-and-switch goalpoint for an adventure count?

/Fish/ wrote:

I thought that Titans were exactly like that...

I believe this is said in the wiki, but I know Karbo has said it before too. The Guardians aren't meant to be developed characters to be used by people. They are more of an unseen force, looking on from their dens, not interfereing unless absolutely needed.

We are given a brief description of appearance, but the personalities are left interntionally vague. They aren't meant to be used. Even the weakest of the guardians, the human one I believe, can obliderate an entire army single-handedly if it wanted to.

They are all ludicrously strong, and extremely old. They could take out armies, cities...hell, Notys can manipulate time and the fabric of reality just by stretching wrong and cause all kinds of mischief. They don't really make for interesting stories. They certainly don't need anyone's help to do anything. Nemyra, for example, is probably more than capable of just popping up wherever she wants through the near infinte amount of doors in the pocket dimension her home is located in. Or she has 1000s of fairies she could send, being their queen and all.

Even Guardian intervention is EXTRMELY rare. They have only intervened three or four times in all of Felarya's known history, and those were to take down a rogue titan, the dridder queen who nearly rivaled them in power, the most powerful and advanced human civilization in the history of Felarya, and a darkness elemental that could have wiped out everything.

They aren't a very active bunch, and justifying their involvment in a story is extremely difficult. Then you have to deal with their personalities which no one besides Karbo has any idea of.

Also, keep in mind that other than the fairies that serve Nemyra, and the VERY few survivors from the fall of Ur-Sagol (if any are still around), most people would not know about the guardians, outside of rumors and myths. We know way more about them than any Felaryan would.
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Er, that wasn't my question... I mean, as long as everyone knows interacting with one is a near impossiblility ecxept those who know nothing about it, and they never enter the actual story exept as a vague, misleading focus of a suicide mission, does it really count as involvment...? I mean, she doesn't do anything and they will never actually get there. You're talking about actual story interaction, right? But if they're treated as a legend within the story itself, is it okay to use them as a plot device?

Again, I understand what you're saying, and I never intended for her to actually be in the main story.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 7:38 pm

FalconJudge wrote:

See, now I would think that using a guardian in this manner wouldn't be all that bad, because it's not really using the guardian. However, you could make a minor change to their mission and not even directly involve Nemyra at all, even in theory: "Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take this powerful artifact and place it where Nemyra's servants will be able to find it. Only they have the power and knowledge to destroy/contain it."
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Ah...? But that would sound like you deliberately tried to avoid using her while still acknowledging her existance... The whole point of telling them to go there is a lie taking advantage of their lack of knowledge about the guardians, so why say the "servants"... They wouldn't know the difference...
Back to top Go down
Asuroth
Asuroth

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 1:50 am

Just cause I like Titan stuff so much...I'd have to agree on Fish's guess. If the Titans were any larger than that the mysterious temple would be REALLY freakin huge to house a lot of those guys in it, we're talking the water surrounding that temple would have to be a big ocean or something. They sorta come off as kinda bigger than big giant guys made outta stone materials not so much to dwarf everything else from the look of it. The whole thing with them being easily replaced when felled in the lore thing seems to imply they weren't all just mega gigantic things of incredible power. Strong yes, it's a giant made out of rocks c'mon, but nothing even close to rival a Guardian- they were just the grunts for their forces.
Back to top Go down
http://asuroth.deviantart.com/
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Alright, since I tried writing this earlier in great detail before the computer screwed up on me, I try to be brief:

Basicly, if its true that Karbo specifically said that the Guardians are not to be included in actual physical appearances in stories, then we (Nickster 5 and I) can adjust that scene.

Quote :
I believe this is said in the wiki, but I know Karbo has said it before too. The Guardians aren't meant to be developed characters to be used by people. They are more of an unseen force, looking on from their dens, not interfereing unless absolutely needed.

Besides, if I am interpreting this correctly, they are vague and mysterious, and not fully developed. If that is the case, the scene can very well be described as a "warning" to the titans.

With the titans depicted in our story, I know that people are going to think of them as a clan of UPC's, and then when they are defeated by our main protagonist, that'll in retrospect make him a UPC.

No, no, and definently no!

Heres a little fact about survival, and its that it can be summed up int three categories:

-strategy/one's own attributes

-help from a thrid party

-luck/coincidence/whatever you want to call it.

Since this thread is NOT about our story, but the size of Felaryan titans in general, I'll just say this again, I'll go into further detail about the plot and how we can adjust/rearrange/whatever in a more appropriate thread.

Now back to the main point, to support the greater size range (2,000+ ft in height):

-the Mysterious Temple was supposed to be incredibly huge above ground anyway, and with the defeat of Alcazath, most of the thing was buried deep underground, even under the lake's bottom.

-the titans described were able to trample trees effortlessly. And in Felarya, especially from the stuff I saw Karbo make, trees can grow to incredible sizes, surpassing that of most buildings. Now what trees are they talking about anyways? The regular stuff you see here, or am I correct and those super-sized trees got some damage too?

-The Felaryan Titanomachy (a little joke for you greek buffs out there) cuased major destruction that would take Felarya literally centuries to heal. With alot of titans that big and running around, it would make more sense, since most of Felarya's predators are so big anyways, they could cuase damage like that on a smaller scale. To really be something outstanding for Felarya, bigger titans make more sense.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I really think using an earth elemental or some golem unrelated to the Titans for your story would be better than being hung up on the Titans.
Back to top Go down
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Well, if the description of the titans in Felarya don't exactly match, I'm sure we could go for a classification similar to that, without changing the size or characters too badly I guess.
Back to top Go down
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 am

So has an official size range been agreed upon yet?

I talked to Karbo on the chat box a couple of weeks ago, and he said since they were artificial constructs, the size would vary.

But I still feel that would should explore what size the tedrek titans and Alcazath were to give us a better idea.

Karbo, if you could, please shed some more light on this one. This is something that would help alot, and don't worry about hurt feelings and stuff like that, as long as no one is being rude, I am okay with objective criticism. Smile
Back to top Go down
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Okay, it has been confirmed by Karbo that the accepted maximum height for a titan in Felarya is 500 feet.

Thanks for wrapping that up Karbo!^^

I would like to request that this thread be locked, now that the question has been answered.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 pm

ur wrong. its 499 feet! XD

the chat earlier today helped with that, yes. I still say anything over 200 ft is reaaaally pushing it. since that's about the height of a 25 story building.
Back to top Go down
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm pretty sure he said "nothing over 500 feet".
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 pm

i know. im just saying.

and you should probably get the inside joke about 499.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 am

um that don't mean at all that the average titan would be like 400-500... it's only extremely rare cases...

200 feet tall sound already enormous.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:51 am

Karbo wrote:
um that don't mean at all that the average titan would be like 400-500... it's only extremely rare cases...

200 feet tall sound already enormous.

Of course, thats why I said the "accepted maximum" is 500.^^;

Sorry if I implied anything otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 1:19 pm

yeah felarya isn't supposed to THAT big, i mean the mouth of a 60 ft long mermaid would still be large enough to swallow someone whole quite easily, and thats enough.

those negative hydras at 160 ft scare me more so than any fairy would.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I still say anything over 200 ft is reaaaally pushing it. since that's about the height of a 25 story building.
I agree.
There isn't always a bigger fish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:07 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
There isn't always a bigger fish.

You sir are espousing Heresy, and will now be burned at the stake.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
You sir are espousing Heresy, and will now be burned at the stake.

heresy? what do you have against fish? XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How big are the Titans?   How big are the Titans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How big are the Titans?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion-
Jump to: