Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sex with harpies?

Go down 
+2
rcs619
Raveolution
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Really?

Okay so Harpies can breed with any males in Felarya, right?

So if a Harpy has sex with a male naga you still get a 100% harpy?

And how do humans have sex with 80 foot harpies?

Who else typically has sex with harpies?

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:37 pm

Harpies can't just breed with any male.

The male has to be the appropriate size. Giant harpies breed with giant males, human-sized ones breed with humans and nekos, hummingbird harpies would breed with tinies. You need to have the proper sized genatalia and sperm to mate successfully.

As for the offspring. It wouldn't have a 100% chance at being a harpy. Both parent's have to give half of its genes. The chromosomes that determine sex are the x and y chromosomes. Males are always X, Y and Females are always X, X. Each parent will randomly give a child one of these.

...so, if the child gets a Y from his father, and a X from his mother, he'll be a male, and therefore, not a harpy since there are no male harpies. The offspring would likely default to the father's race, but with some traits from the other parent (hair, eyes, etc). If the father gives a X and the mother gives a X, the offspring will be female, and will always default to her mother's race and be harpy most likely, but with some physical traits from both parents (hair, eyes, etc).

There is the possibility that Harpy ovum could be encoded not to accept sperm with a Y chromosome, preventing any males, or non-harpies from even being conceived.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 pm

rcs619 wrote:

The male has to be the appropriate size. Giant harpies breed with giant males, human-sized ones breed with humans and nekos, hummingbird harpies would breed with tinies. You need to have the proper sized genatalia and sperm to mate successfully.

As for the offspring. It wouldn't have a 100% chance at being a harpy. Both parent's have to give half of its genes. The chromosomes that determine sex are the x and y chromosomes. Males are always X, Y and Females are always X, X. Each parent will randomly give a child one of these.

...so, if the child gets a Y from his father, and a X from his mother, he'll be a male, and therefore, not a harpy since there are no male harpies. The offspring would likely default to the father's race, but with some traits from the other parent (hair, eyes, etc). If the father gives a X and the mother gives a X, the offspring will be female, and will always default to her mother's race and be harpy most likely, but with some physical traits from both parents (hair, eyes, etc).

There is the possibility that Harpy ovum could be encoded not to accept sperm with a Y chromosome, preventing any males, or non-harpies from even being conceived.
Aw man. I was aiming to have a little more fun and laughs with the harpy-human thing, and the idea of harpy-winged nagas and other hilarious twists of fantastic biology.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Raveolution wrote:

Aw man. I was aiming to have a little more fun and laughs with the harpy-human thing, and the idea of harpy-winged nagas and other hilarious twists of fantastic biology.

Lol I already did a harpy-winged naga.. Or more accurately a snake-tailed harpy. ;<<
(A terrible genetic mishap btw)
But it's kinda against the rules nowadays. What with the specifics of 'males passing on some traits such as hair color, but nothing that physically alters the species'.

((Moving this thread to Harpies and Sphinxes discussion))
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Raveolution wrote:

Lol I already did a harpy-winged naga.. Or more accurately a snake-tailed harpy. ;<<
(A terrible genetic mishap btw)
But it's kinda against the rules nowadays. What with the specifics of 'males passing on some traits such as hair color, but nothing that physically alters the species'.
Aw, really? Ah, that's cool. They can still have horny harpies messing with humans, right? (For the lulz factor and all that.)
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm

rcs619 wrote:

According to the wiki (Harpies): "A harpy baby inherits a small amount of genetic material from her father, which goes into trait and features that don't alter her physiology as a member of her mother's species."

This seems to imply to me that the only possible gender a child of a Felaryan harpy can have is female.

Here's the diff between the two versions of the text (before and after that line was added) (Diff between versions). As you can see, the only changes since then have been a little grammar fixing.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Raveolution wrote:

Or just do it anyway, as a comical "What if?" type of story. Just don't expect it to become canon.

The idea of there being no male harpies is ripe for comedy. I have a prototype story about "Hector the Heisenberg Harpy", a male harpy.

From the prototype:
""Hector The Heisenberg Harpy" is very much a noncanoical-nonserious comedy, dealing with the trials and tribulations of paradoxical male harpy named Hector, and his dealings with people... complicated by the fact that they can completely forget that he ever existed if someone reminds them that there are no male harpies. He exists and interacts normally with others, unless they know or are told that he can't possibly exist, at which point they completely forget him and can't even physically interact with him. It's as if the portion of the Universe around them rejects his paradoxical impossibility... at least for a while."
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Raveolution wrote:

Or just do it anyway, as a comical "What if?" type of story. Just don't expect it to become canon.

The idea of there being no male harpies is ripe for comedy. I have a prototype story about "Hector the Heisenberg Harpy", a male harpy.

From the prototype:
""Hector The Heisenberg Harpy" is very much a noncanoical-nonserious comedy, dealing with the trials and tribulations of paradoxical male harpy named Hector, and his dealings with people... complicated by the fact that they can completely forget that he ever existed if someone reminds them that there are no male harpies. He exists and interacts normally with others, unless they know or are told that he can't possibly exist, at which point they completely forget him and can't even physically interact with him. It's as if the portion of the Universe around them rejects his paradoxical impossibility... at least for a while."
Oh, cool. What kind of adventures did you have in store for him?
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Raveolution wrote:

The "story" isn't very fleshed out (mostly because I've been spending my time on another (non-Felaryan) prototype story, called "Destined Mates" (I know, it needs a new title badly Smile ,), but seeing as "Hector the Hisenburg Harpy" isn't supposed to be serious or story based, it would likely be comical things, like Hector having a conversation with someone, the person letting them know that they've heard that there can't be a male harpy, and then the person wondering why they were talking to themselves.

Another possible situation: Hector, Anna, and Crisis all "sitting" in a "room". Hector tells Crisis about something, and then Crisis says something like "Wow, what do you think of that Anna?". Anna is confused, and then Crisis say "What do you think about that thing Hector just said?". Frustrated, Anna replies "Crisis, I don't have time to play games with your or your imaginary friends." Slithering off she mumbles "First Karbo, now Hector? What is that girl thinking?" Then Crisis looks to her shoulder and asks Karbo (who is sitting there) "Why'd you make her so grouchy?" He replies "I dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time."

Or another: Hector flies over Vivian, who asks him if he would like a good time. He replies that he would, and he's happy that she can see him, as most people don't think that male harpies exist... at which point Vivian remarks that she should stop daydreaming about men and get back to work, and slithers off. Hector: "DAMN IT!!! (wacks forehead)"

So basically, situational comedy.

Really, I think it would work best as a three or four pannel comic strip, but I can't draw very well yet... but when I finally do get better. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Raveolution wrote:

The "story" isn't very fleshed out (mostly because I've been spending my time on another (non-Felaryan) prototype story, called "Destined Mates" (I know, it needs a new title badly Smile ,), but seeing as "Hector the Hisenburg Harpy" isn't supposed to be serious or story based, it would likely be comical things, like Hector having a conversation with someone, the person letting them know that they've heard that there can't be a male harpy, and then the person wondering why they were talking to themselves.

Another possible situation: Hector, Anna, and Crisis all "sitting" in a "room". Hector tells Crisis about something, and then Crisis says something like "Wow, what do you think of that Anna?". Anna is confused, and then Crisis say "What do you think about that thing Hector just said?". Frustrated, Anna replies "Crisis, I don't have time to play games with your or your imaginary friends." Slithering off she mumbles "First Karbo, now Hector? What is that girl thinking?" Then Crisis looks to her shoulder and asks Karbo (who is sitting there) "Why'd you make her so grouchy?" He replies "I dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time."

Or another: Hector flies over Vivian, who asks him if he would like a good time. He replies that he would, and he's happy that she can see him, as most people don't think that male harpies exist... at which point Vivian remarks that she should stop daydreaming about men and get back to work, and slithers off. Hector: "DAMN IT!!! (wacks forehead)"

So basically, situational comedy.

Really, I think it would work best as a three or four pannel comic strip, but I can't draw very well yet... but when I finally do get better. Very Happy
That sounds really promising. Right down to the fourth wall stuff. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
EliteCreature
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
EliteCreature

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: LOL   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 10:14 pm

I love the Hector Stories!!! please keep working on that one!!!
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:01 pm

rcs619 wrote:

Interestingly enough its the reverse for Birds, where the heterozygous equals a female and homozygous equals a male.

Though if that were true for harpies it would actually compound the problem.
Back to top Go down
EliteCreature
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
EliteCreature

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: ugh   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 pm

birds are wierd......
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Sex with harpies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sex with harpies?   Sex with harpies? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 12:01 am

EliteCreature wrote:
birds are wierd......
Or maybe it's us who are wierd? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Sex with harpies?
Page 1 of 1