Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Black Holes...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
avatar

Posts : 538
Join date : 2009-10-24
Age : 21
Location : IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY!

PostSubject: Black Holes...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Okay so I was wondering for a while now. I a black hole was about to hit Felarya what would happen? Would it slip past the whole self contained plane thing and slurp up all the matter like a predator or would it simply be transported to another dimension and slurp up matter there? I'm a little confused... confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1301
Join date : 2008-05-04
Age : 26
Location : The Stream of Consciousness

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Wat

Felarya exists between dimensions, and only connects to things in the universe that don't destroy it. It's not going to connect to a black hole. <<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
avatar

Posts : 4021
Join date : 2009-05-05
Age : 29
Location : Shatterock Caldera

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:47 pm

this seems like a pretty random question.

you could ask a million other questions too, so dont try to figure out every single little detail.

its like asking "why does pie exist" kinda thing. not too much point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
avatar

Posts : 538
Join date : 2009-10-24
Age : 21
Location : IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:58 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Wat

Felarya exists between dimensions, and only connects to things in the universe that don't destroy it. It's not going to connect to a black hole. <<

Yeah I guess you're right Fish. Sorry about that. Feel free to close the thread if you like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
avatar

Posts : 4021
Join date : 2009-05-05
Age : 29
Location : Shatterock Caldera

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:22 am

dont feel stupid though. such questions ARE sometimes needed for understanding ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:22 am

Would it be possible for someone to connect a black hole to Felarya?

The Miratans managed to tunnel into that realm; if someone were to open a similar but much larger (if shorter-lived) portal to Felarya that had, say, a black hole on the other side....?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2007-12-16
Age : 24
Location : The Country of Kangaroos and Criminal Scum

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:37 am

Raveolution wrote:
Would it be possible for someone to connect a black hole to Felarya?

The Miratans managed to tunnel into that realm; if someone were to open a similar but much larger (if shorter-lived) portal to Felarya that had, say, a black hole on the other side....?

Too many problems with that.
  1. Opening a portal into a vacuum would suck air out, unless the portal had some sort of barrier that only allowed solids & liquids through.
  2. Getting the other side of the portal close enough to the black hole would be hugely difficult, the projection equipment (assuming it requires it) or exotic matter ring (for wormholes) would be effected by the massive gravity of the black hole, so some sort of stabilisation system (ie: huge thrusters) would be required to maintain position, unless the portal was in a really fast orbit.
  3. There are much more cost effective ways to destroy large areas of land.
  4. Assuming that the portal was randomly targeted, the chances of the terminus appearing at a black hole are very small, since black holes aren't exactly common
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
avatar

Posts : 334
Join date : 2009-04-18
Location : The great land

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:15 am

Its not a bad story line, and yes a guardian might get involved. Honestly I already ran this one in an RP though. One thing to think about though the black hole would probably rip the gate apart in a fraction of a second, then again it that time it could do more damage than an H-bomb.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
Would it be possible for someone to connect a black hole to Felarya?

The Miratans managed to tunnel into that realm; if someone were to open a similar but much larger (if shorter-lived) portal to Felarya that had, say, a black hole on the other side....?

Too many problems with that.
  1. Opening a portal into a vacuum would suck air out, unless the portal had some sort of barrier that only allowed solids & liquids through.
  2. Getting the other side of the portal close enough to the black hole would be hugely difficult, the projection equipment (assuming it requires it) or exotic matter ring (for wormholes) would be effected by the massive gravity of the black hole, so some sort of stabilisation system (ie: huge thrusters) would be required to maintain position, unless the portal was in a really fast orbit.
  3. There are much more cost effective ways to destroy large areas of land.
  4. Assuming that the portal was randomly targeted, the chances of the terminus appearing at a black hole are very small, since black holes aren't exactly common
1 & 3) If some idiot is going to open a black hole in Felarya, the loss of oxygen or the destruction of a large amount of land would be the least of what they care about. More than likely they're doing it to wipe out Felarya, period.

2 & 4) Fortunately, you've got a point; otherwise we could have a... problem. To say the least. The problem I was thinking about is the Stargate scenario where someone leaves a big stargate-equivalent on one planet that's falling into singularity, with the other stargate-equivalent sitting in Felarya.
But as you said it's insanely difficult to do that.

Anyhoot... no black holes allowed in Felarya... I hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
black holes aren't exactly common
Erm, many astrophysicists would disagree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
avatar

Posts : 4021
Join date : 2009-05-05
Age : 29
Location : Shatterock Caldera

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:32 pm

they just dont happen near us.

space is massive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 pm

That's because we live in a rather sparsely-populated region of our galaxy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2007-12-16
Age : 24
Location : The Country of Kangaroos and Criminal Scum

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:14 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
black holes aren't exactly common
Erm, many astrophysicists would disagree.
Matter isn't common either. Space is mostly space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
avatar

Posts : 4021
Join date : 2009-05-05
Age : 29
Location : Shatterock Caldera

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:20 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
That's because we live in a rather sparsely-populated region of our galaxy.

yeah aren't we lucky? lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:11 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
black holes aren't exactly common
Erm, many astrophysicists would disagree.
Matter isn't common either. Space is mostly space.
As OldMan would say... [Citation Needed].
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2007-12-16
Age : 24
Location : The Country of Kangaroos and Criminal Scum

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:41 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
black holes aren't exactly common
Erm, many astrophysicists would disagree.
Matter isn't common either. Space is mostly space.
As OldMan would say... [Citation Needed].
I can get it.
"Less than 5% of the universe is ordinary matter, a relatively small perturbation." Quote from wikipedia.
Which is quoted from somewhere else. Can't remember where.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Oldman40k2003
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 661
Join date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
black holes aren't exactly common
Erm, many astrophysicists would disagree.
Matter isn't common either. Space is mostly space.
As OldMan would say... [Citation Needed].
I can get it.
"Less than 5% of the universe is ordinary matter, a relatively small perturbation." Quote from wikipedia.
Which is quoted from somewhere else. Can't remember where.




Here, I can help out more: The present overall density of the Universe is very low, roughly 9.9 10−30 grams per cubic centimetre. This mass-energy appears to consist of 73% dark energy, 23% cold dark matter and 4% ordinary matter. Thus the density of atoms is on the order of a single hydrogen atom for every four cubic meters of volume.[24] The properties of dark energy and dark matter are largely unknown. Dark matter gravitates as ordinary matter, and thus works to slow the expansion of the Universe; by contrast, dark energy accelerates its expansion.

Regular matter (IE: not dark matter) is "quite" common in the space that surrounds solar systems and galaxies, and somewhat less so in the space that surrounds galactic clusters, but is virtually unheard of in the voids between clusters... and those voids are huge. Mind bogglingly huge. Links to details on the large scale structure of the universe, and to voids: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large-scale_structure_of_the_Universe, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_%28astronomy%29.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 am

Yes, but the original point of them being rare was that they were rare in inhabited space, which the void doesn't count as. Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that other solar systems bore life and had advanced spacefaring civilizations, then it wouldn't be too hard to find a black hole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2007-12-16
Age : 24
Location : The Country of Kangaroos and Criminal Scum

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:28 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Yes, but the original point of them being rare was that they were rare in inhabited space, which the void doesn't count as. Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that other solar systems bore life and had advanced spacefaring civilizations, then it wouldn't be too hard to find a black hole.
Just head galactic north. There's a really big one there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior
avatar

Posts : 538
Join date : 2009-10-24
Age : 21
Location : IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:54 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Yes, but the original point of them being rare was that they were rare in inhabited space, which the void doesn't count as. Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that other solar systems bore life and had advanced spacefaring civilizations, then it wouldn't be too hard to find a black hole.
Just head galactic north. There's a really big one there.

In the Milky Way's caramel center perhaps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JohnDoe
valiant swordman
valiant swordman


Posts : 231
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 pm

SuperPieGuy9 wrote:
Okay so I was wondering for a while now. I a black hole was about to hit Felarya what would happen? Would it slip past the whole self contained plane thing and slurp up all the matter like a predator or would it simply be transported to another dimension and slurp up matter there? I'm a little confused... confused

Oh that's easy.

Something would eat it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:06 am

SuperPieGuy9 wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
Yes, but the original point of them being rare was that they were rare in inhabited space, which the void doesn't count as. Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that other solar systems bore life and had advanced spacefaring civilizations, then it wouldn't be too hard to find a black hole.
Just head galactic north. There's a really big one there.

In the Milky Way's caramel center perhaps?
Yeah.. assuming you can get close enough. I'd imagine there's a lot of stellar junk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Black Holes...   

Back to top Go down
 
Black Holes...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Dismissal of Black Panther case a 'travesty of justice.'
» WANTED: All black version of WWII USMC Stiletto
» Black woman threatens to kill all whites in astonishing outburst
» WWI Black Watch Sidecap
» Orange is the New Black

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: