Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pendragon's big box of ideas.

Go down 
+2
AisuKaiko
Pendragon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Pendragon's big box of ideas. Empty
PostSubject: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 11:25 am

Well, Karbo suggested I collect all the ideas I've pitched into one thread, so I think I'll take his suggestion.

Here is what has been pitched before:

Arthronodes
https://felarya.forumotion.com/new-ideas-f2/arthronodes-electric-crabs-t238.htm?highlight=arthronodes

Octohogs
https://felarya.forumotion.com/new-ideas-f2/octohogs-t1245.htm?highlight=octohogs

Airgle and Angler Seaweedle
http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fauna2

These are the latest two I've pitched:

Nimbus Sparrow
https://felarya.forumotion.com/new-ideas-f2/nimbus-sparrow-t1654.htm

Ostroid
https://felarya.forumotion.com/new-ideas-f2/ostroid-faster-than-life-t1712.htm

If I have any new ideas, I'll be sure to post them right here. Thank you, and I hope this cuts down on excess idea threads. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Another idea i had for a creature. please tell me if it;s good.

Gremlique

size: 4.5 feet
threat: moderate

The Gremlique at first glance appears to be a small, agitated little monster with the form of a shriveled up human with enlarged ears, crooked teeth, and very sharp nails. It mainly prefers dark places to live, where it will stalk within the shadows around for it's primary food sources: flesh, blood, organs and on occasions avocados. They will tear into anything that fits their needs for food, including humans, all the way up to giant predators. However, due to the Gremlique's size, it's not too much a threat for bigger creatures. However, in their habitats, they will often be in groups and very hard to deal with.

What makes the gremlique unique, however, is what happens if one of them is killed. After a fatal organ is pierced, causing them death, their entire body is reduced to a primordial ooze. Sadly, after 3 days, the ooze will reform back into a new Gremlique. The only way to truly kill one is to dilute the ooze in either water or acid. (predators can eat them, but it's not recommended since they taste like recycled newspaper and rotten socks) On another note, if two or more of them die near eachother, their remains will pool together into an even bigger Gremlique with a hive mind of the collective Grems.

These creatures are usually spotted on rare occasions in dark forests around Felarya, but their primary love is of secluded places such as the Mikadis Temple.

_

Gremlique Gigante

size: 50-150 feet
threat: medium-high

Every once in a while, two or more Gremliques will pool together to make a bigger one, often meaning Grems of many different sizes will exist. A Gremlique Gigante, however, is a beast composed of hundreds of slain Grems. It towers high above the rest of it's species and is considered an alpha male. The "skin" of the Gigante is extremely tough and hard to crack with any known weapons, and the appetite of the beast is quadrupled, often leading it to go on feeding frenzies. (a main reason why one will leave the safety of the temple). Should one encounter one of these beasts, it would be best to seek out water asap, since water is one thing the Grems cannot stand in large doses.

Because the species is genderless, they reproduce via asexual reproduction. When a Gremlique Gigante eats enough, it will often reproduce new pools of Grems, thus propagating the species.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 pm

That seems a bit overpowered, being able to reform, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:12 pm

well, not really. It takes them 3 days to reform, and in that time, anyone can kill them with water or by simply eating them. Having a bad taste doesn't make them poisonous, so those 3 days makes them vulnerable. Also, they can't change at will. Their rabid gremlin-like forms are the only ones they can really use. So don't worry about them shape shifting every five seconds.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 am

wow scary creatures here ^_^
the fusion idea is a nice one I think Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 12:26 am

Thought I'd revive this thread so I could suggest a type of fauna I thought up. You know, keep it all in one thread.

The Bakpeduin (of the order Reversal Sphenisciformes )

Height- 4.5 feet (5 foot average)
Location- Imoreith Tundra, Topazial Sea at approximately 500 feet below sea level
Threat- moderate

This creature, a known avian with aquamarine colored plumage on it's back, a stomach comprised of red feathers, and a white-ish "crown" of fur upon it's head, is an omnivore that recides in colder temperatures and areas which place their bodies under intense pressure, such as lower sections of the sea. They are highly adapted for colder climates due to their diet and feather dispersion, and enjoy the pressure upon their bodies because of how it helps them swim due to changes which occur in their bloodstream.

The most well known trait of the Bakpeduin is their curious nature of never walking forward, and was infact a deciding factor in their name. Everywhere they go, they waddle backwards, relying instead on their keen hearing to detect something ahead of them, while their eyes remain closed most of the time, due to being near-sighted. Because of this hearing based instinct, they are able to catch fish more efficiently, even at low depths, and because they even swim backwards, they employ a reverse-dog paddle to propel themselves backwards, and can reach 5 knots in a current-free area. Assisting them in aquatic travel is a long eel-like tail unknown to most other species of this order, which spins counterclockwise and acks like a fan which sucks in current to help the Bakpeduin swim backwards, along with a small beak, thus minimizing weight and resistance in the water. To put it in perspective, it acts like a propellor mounted at the front of a plane.

A Bakpeduin's primary diet consists of fish and, unless one is a fish merchant, they will not attack other creatures or humanoids. During periods of fasting for annual hibernation, however, they have been known to attack anything around them relentlessly, not for food, but to eliminate any roadblock which would impede them from acquiring a healthy supplement of fish. They attack by opening up their feathers on their backs, so they all protrude outward like a hundred tiny spikes. Then they climb the nearest available tree or rock and back-body slam whatever opponent they wish to neutralize. When catching fish, they employ powerful, albeit stubby, hind legs to push themselves off of a solid object backwards at powerful speeds and impale any fish they hear coming. They'll use coral, boats, rocks, or even predators to push themselves back. Of course, they'll never go hunting for fish at 500 feet, unless they are unsuccessful in other areas of the sea.

Because of this, it's advised to avoid Bakpeduins when they are hunting for food, or if their feathers are protruding outward, as they may also feel threatened.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 am

Another one for you:

The Yggdrasil Beetle (of the order Fagales Coleoptera)

Height- 7 inches long by 3 inches tall
Location- Bulvon Woods
Threat- low

The Yggdrasil Beetle is a small arthropod creature with a hardened brown shell, two dark brown horns on it's frontal carapace, 8 legs, and two eyes. Similar to Earth beetles, this particular specimen differs in that it is classified as a floral bioform, containing the partial DNA of things found in plantlife. The shell is a vastly hardened layer of burned oak, while the horns are toughened branches, sharpened through combat of similar beetles. The creature underneath is an animal, yet it's innards contain fluids rich in hemoglobin and chloroplasts, both hybridized into one cell to maximize energy absorption from digested materials and exposure to light based energies, as well as taking in oxygen AND carbon dioxide.

The beetle is of little threat to any travelers, as it does not seek food from most animals or humans. It's primary diet consists of rotten fruit and various fungi found on most trees in the Bulvon vicinity, and once it has found a suitable source of food to feast on, it will cling to the tree which is closest to the fungus or fruit, before digging it's legs into the bark. There it will blend in and use its time to eat up to 5 times it's own body weight, while absorbinng any sunlight which creeps through the treetops, as solid food alone does not satiate it's dietary needs.

The Yggdrasil beetle is very territorial, so they are scarce in the Bulvon woods, and it is extremely rare to see them in groups. They will normally scurry away from anything bigger than themselves, but if cornered, they will act in a defensive manner, opening up their shells and allowing splinters of their barky shell to point outward. This bark is known to pierce even the toughest of rubber, so it's not advised to step on them, unless you have feet of steel. In rare cases they will dive underwater to evade tough prey, and due to their ability to cannibalize oxygen and CO2, they can last without exterior intakes of air for hours.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:29 am

two nice ideas here ^^

The Bakpeduin is clearly unique . It would be interesting to see what strange evolution led them there lol!
And nice work on the Yggdrasil Beetle too. You described it well and it's nice to have some herbivore fauna in a zone like Bulvon woods ^^
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks for the feedback Karbo. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 am

I thought of this one during a trip to the circus.

Name: Camoculan (of the order Artiodactyla Ocular)

Height- 15 feet tall by 25 feet long
Location- Myrodia Coast
Threat- low

A large mammalian two-toed beast, these creatures travel along the Myrodia coast, often in packs of ten. Their main diet consists of chewed up grass and chewed up shells from the sea, making their teeth and inner mouth extremely durable, though they never feed on humans. Often, they'll have a habit of spitting everything in their mouth at an oncoming foe, which makes a good defensive maneuver since these spitballs can sometimes contain shell fragments.

What makes the creature unique are the two humps on it's back. While one is a regular fatty deposit, the other is a gigantic eye that opens up from within the hump. It serves as a lookout for the Camoculan, since it is unable to turn around at fast speeds. It is a strong, resistant ocular nerve that can withstand the burning heat of the nearby Akaptor Desert, the blinding light of the Myrodia sand, and can even survive minor blunt damage. The eye also has a secondary effect towards humans or other species. Anyone who gazes into the eye will have an unbearable urge to spit, or chew a wad of grass, then spit it out. Seasoned fairies (from the nearby fairy kingdom) who see these creatures often refer to them as "Spitter Humps". For larger predators, they make good pets, except for the spitting.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Another one for the idea box. Submitting this from a friend's comp, so my spelling might be off.

Name: Fowl Webber (of the order Galliformes Araneae)

Height- 20 feet
Weight- 800 lbs.
Location- Akaptor Desert
Threat- Medium

Description: Fowl Webbers are large semi-mammalian creatures that are light-orange in appearance with four stained yellow legs, each scaled like those of an avian's talons, with an armored body similar to that of the abdomen of common day arachnids. This orange armor is laden with thousands of feathers, also colored orange due to the sands beating against them for ages. The head is adorned with 4 pupils, along with a razor sharp beak that opens vertically, showing a spinnerette inside on the roof of the creature's mouth.

The Fowl Webber spends most of the hot desert day hibernating, and will only move at night. Once night comes, it will cover all of its appendages in a thick layer of web, which allows it to cross most passages of the desert without suffering from the ill time altering effects of the sand. Once this is done it will go out on the hunt, looking for any creatures that have liquids in their body. Once they find something, they'll either set a trap for them or directly assault them, wrapping them in webbing to trap them, before using its mighty beak to tear the flesh of the creature and drain the liquid from their body, storing it into a special organ in its body, which uses this liquid to produce more webbing. The dried husk that remains is then consumed for energy. For this reason, the Webber is considered very hostile when it's hungry, but will attack even after having eaten.

The creature can also create strong webs and cover its legs with them, creating makeshift wings for the purpose of gliding short distances. Emphasis is on short though, as the creature weighs half a ton!
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm

I must admit, I'm having a hard time picturing a beak opening vertically, but I can see how that'd be useful for it. Nice job.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Been a looooooong time since I posted here. Sorry about that. Hopefully the forum is not too dead, because I wanted to contribute another idea for approval.

Class: Felaryan Flora

Name: Sodium Blossom

Description: A plant that makes home on the oceans and other various bodies of salty water. It floats on the tide in a specially made leafy pod. What makes it unique, and what gives it the titular name, is how it can process water from the oceans to keep itself hydrated. Using a unique filtration system, it filters out any salt and repurposes it as a thin layer of supercompressed salt on its leafy exterior. Along with being a side effect of its filtering system, it acts as a great defense against would be predators, as it gives the plant such a horrific bitter taste that it deters any further threat.
Back to top Go down
Ponyboyace
Helpless prey
Ponyboyace

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 am

It's a simple idea, but it sounds right at place with the other plants of Felarya.

I like the idea that some of the island/coastal communities would do their best to farm these plants and extract the salt they collect. Maybe even sell it as an export.

Predators may also have a use for the plant to season...well whatever sorry sap they catch.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Nice to see you back !

I like that idea Smile  it's a simple one but that just works well, mixing both the sustenance of the plant and its defense system. Good job ^^
Back to top Go down
felarya_refugee
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
felarya_refugee

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 10:31 pm

This is the kind of salt the world needs more of. Good job!
Back to top Go down
http://ashely-virgo.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pendragon's big box of ideas.   Pendragon's big box of ideas. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pendragon's big box of ideas.
Page 1 of 1