Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
itsmeyouidiot
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Most works depict her as kind of a jerk, but it's staring to get kind of one-dimensional for her. Maybe she has another side of her personality we haven't seen yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:50 pm

From what I've gathered, she's not a jerk.

Just very, very grumpy (understandably) about the turn of events. To put yourself in her shoes:

She "died" once before.
She is forced to live with the one that killed her.
She cannot see her family again.
She cannot indulge in her main joys (smoking & machinery) reliably any more, if she can indulge in them at all.
She is seen by most of her old peers as a monster.
She is seen by many of her current peers as having an unhealthy diet and needing to eat some more of her old peers.
Her main "roommates" diet is her old peers.
The number of "people" (including giant Predators) who she can reliably interact with is much smaller than it was.
She has resorted to cannibalism (or at least, in her mind she may see it as such).
There is practically no chance (see: About as likely as her getting this way) of returning to how things once were.

Making it so you yourself could understand: You get killed by a Gray Alien and wake up as another of them. Your current family is made up of those who murdered (or would murder) you. You cannot go home, you cannot see your old friends, your biology disallows your enjoyment of your old favorite foods and hobbies, you cannot go out in human-public, you are criticized for not eating BBQ'd human that's brought onboard, you've had to / been tricked into eating human at least once before, and there's no chance of going back ever again.

Understandably, she's ticked. The fact that she hasn't snapped and either fully embraced her old personality or gone bonkers and attacked her current "peers" in earnest is a good sign of her mental fortitude.

Best way to see her other side? That I can't say. She seems the type to loathe pity, but treating her like nothing's wrong wouldn't work either. Giving her machinery and tobacco might work at first... until something goes wrong or she breaks down because it's "not the same" / feels too much like a mockery. Similarly, denying her of the things is a big no-no. She's the type of person you have to do something to cheer her up / get on her good side, but can't go too far as you'll drive her over the edge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:32 pm

maybe someone should offer to help her with machinery? ^^;

i wonder how much time she spends thinking about her current situation and how to fix it? i bet if a human acts kind to her, she'd greatly appreciate it. instead of just enduring "you monster! you traitor!" everytime. or someone smart enough to realize something like that isn't her fault ^^; what she needs is more friends...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:59 pm

I couldn't agree more. Anna is a "Jerkass with a heart of gold". She acts grumpy alot, and may be unpleasant at times, but when it comes down to it she is really a good person. It's just that she's dealing with ALOT happening in a VERY short time. It is perfectly normal to expect her to be in a bad mood about it. At least she still does have her machines to occupy her with. She did manage to repair and get a TV working after all. Of course, Crisis promptly ate it because "there were people insaide" but at least she technically still can have one of the things she loves. Or would if Crisis stopped pranking her by hiding her stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SuperPieGuy9
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Actually Anna's nota jerk in the slightest. Granted she's grumpy and all but think about it.

Let's say you were eaten alive by a gigantic snake person, were somehow transported out of said snake person's stomach except as a snake person yourself, then you ended up living with that snake person, all of your new peers look down upon you for not eating your former kind and such, your old peers see you as a monster, you can no longer indulge in some of your favorite things (like smoking in Anna's case), and more. Most people would go crazy and others would eventually commit suicide. Anna however is just grumpy for the most part.

While we don't know everything about her I know we can safely say she's not a jerk at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:19 pm

I can guarantee there is a scene that will come soon in the manga that will definitely dispel this feeling Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:16 pm

too bad some of us fail to meet the requirements of affording said manga or any previous ones... Crying or Very sad

maybe someone can write a story on this as an alternative? say a human with alittle more at their mind than "Monster" when they meet someone larger that happens to be a main threat to them? (Yea that doesn't sound possible when i think of a natvie human to felarya btw... lol)

idk, just coming up with some ideas here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:25 pm

A jerk? Anna is the single most level-headed, open-minded, cool-headed and agreeable creature in all of Felarya.

Were I in her shoes, I'd have gone insane, tried to kill Crisis, burned down a few dryads and probably just generally turned into a complete monster. And I'm the nice one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm using the TV Tropes definition of jerkass with a heart of gold...which I think is vague enough to encompass Anna. But you do have a point. Maybe it's just Crisis she's bad uncomfortable with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:18 pm

i just feel bad for Anna. she has gone through alot...

not sure how i would react in such a sitiouation. i'm easy going with a BAD temper (doesn't fit together i know^^') so deepending on my mood, i would either make the best of it (eat A LOT of humans XD) or lay waste to all in my way^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:18 pm

The way I see it, she has the patience of a saint and it just comes out as a grumpy exterior.

She's been through alot, and hell, having to live with Crisis may seem like a dream, but not when she recommends eating your former friends next to a side salad.

So yeah. She's a real trooper, hanging in there. Not to mention she's one of my favorite characters. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pendragon9.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Honestly I just can't but help and feel sorry for Anna my self. One of the biggest problem she seems to have is self control, along with he poor hunting skill and lack of human friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

asaenvolk wrote:
Honestly I just can't but help and feel sorry for Anna my self. One of the biggest problem she seems to have is self control, along with he poor hunting skill and lack of human friends.
I'd say lack of friends in general, if only a manner of size. Look at how big she use to be, and how tightly packed their communities were. Now look at how big she is, and how loosely packed their communities are.

It's akin from going to a city school, to going rural on a big scale. The fact that she's got maybe a dozen-or-so beings she can somewhat reliably interact with in her immediate area reliably does not bode well (could you imagine seeing no-one but the same three or four people on average daily? For years at a time? And that being considered "social"?), doesn't leave her much room. Add in the number of them that would classify her in an entirely different group were she to suddenly lose the tail and drop a head or six in height, and that's not exactly quality social material.

There's just a few things I can say about her situation right now that are actually positive. First, for the most part she's relatively safe. Miratans are several dozen kloms away easily (and the Delurans don't have much a military force), so she's safe from humans. She's with Crisis and has "friends" amongst the Giant Predators, so she's safe from most med-range predators (Kensha Beasts, Spine Beetle Swarms, etcetera). She's a Giant Predator herself, she's safe from most of her peers. Crisis being with her, while not exactly good for the mind, is great for the body since it means that anything that would attack her would need to be able to overpower two Predators, and likely won't have the element of surprise.

Furthermore, while she cannot contact that many (relatively) people compared to what she once could, those she does know can be applied over a much larger area. Less ears, but wider area of information to nab, supplies / things she could ask for, etcetera. "Oh, you're by that river? Mind bringing me back a certain thing next time you come this way?"

Lastly, at least there's an ample non-Human food supply. She hasn't been forced to test her "I won't eat humans unless absolutely necessary / I lose it and get angry" philosophy yet. Were she someplace where food was less abundant, she may very well have done as some people said they would and "made the best of the situation" by eating people left-and-right. Which would do total hell to what she perceives is left of her humanity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:25 am

Malahite makes some very good points. The effects of her change have actually been far-reaching; it must have been difficult to adjust to in more ways than one.

I don't think Anna's a "jerk". Despite being a lot safer than she ever was as a human, she has a lot to cope with, and she's not doing too badly.

On the whole, I think stories tend to manage her well. (Insofar as I'm able to assess the portrayal of someone else's character.) She's rarely presented as a jerk; it seems to me that most writers do show her as more complex than that. On the other hand, in some stories, she does does do jerkish things at times - such as encouraging Crisis to eat people she doesn't like. But of course that's not canon.

As a side-note, I've always found her feelings towards Crisis quite interesting. She acts as though she barely puts up with her (despite Crisis' friendly behaviour towards her), but it seems quite certain that she's no longer just staying with Crisis to keep safe. I'm sure deep down Anna really does like her. (Even if she wouldn't admit it.)

Having said that, I still think that if Crisis tries to force-feed a human to her again, Anna should (somehow) tie Crisis down, and pretend she's going to force-feed a small naga to her. That might make Crisis think a bit. (Or it might just traumatise her.) Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:08 am

Anna force feeding Crisis a Naga as revenge.... Oh nice.
Back to top Go down
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:26 am

asaenvolk wrote:

Well, not really going through with it, but pretending that she's going to. Wink (Doing it for real would be too cruel, both for Crisis and for the smaller naga of course.)

As I recall, MM13 has had the same idea. (She mentioned it once when I brought it up.) One of us should do something like that one day. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 am

asaenvolk wrote:

Most unwise.

Don't forget-Anna depends on Crisis for her survival. Making her REALLY mad isn't a good idea. And even Crisis has limits. Merely suggesting the idea might do the trick.

Besides-unless she found a smaller naga willing to take part in such a sham I just can't see Anna being so cruel. She's cranky, short-tempered and as grouchy as a wolverine with toothache but she's NOT a jerk.

'cause I'm biased as Hell on this subject.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:38 am

Zoekin wrote:

Besides-unless she found a smaller naga willing to take part in such a sham I just can't see Anna being so cruel. She's cranky, short-tempered and as grouchy as a wolverine with toothache but she's NOT a jerk.

I agree, of course. She wouldn't just grab a random small naga and terrify him/her in that way.

But even if she just mentions the idea, it could serve as a powerful point to make. Crisis is intelligent, and would understand if Anna says that, to her, having to swallow humans feels the same as how Crisis would feel about swallowing small nagas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:51 pm

French snack wrote:
Zoekin wrote:

I agree, of course. She wouldn't just grab a random small naga and terrify him/her in that way.

But even if she just mentions the idea, it could serve as a powerful point to make. Crisis is intelligent, and would understand if Anna says that, to her, having to swallow humans feels the same as how Crisis would feel about swallowing small nagas.
but who knows... she might like the taste^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://snicer.deviantart.com/
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Everyone has standards though, and Crisis draws the line at eating other nagas. She just doesn't do it. It probably WOULD help Crisis understand how Anna sees things, even if she can't understand why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nksrocks

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:41 am

Crisis eating small nagas? What's that, Jonathan Swift's theory about eating babies bringed to Felarya?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nksrocks.deviantart.com/
Zoekin
Grand-pop
Grand-pop

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 am

Something else that proves to me Anna isn't as bad as she makes out.

Léa likes her. And she's a good judge of character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanyastoviaka.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Lea is kind of insaine in her own way. not sure she is the best judge of character.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:45 am

asaenvolk wrote:
Lea is kind of insaine in her own way. not sure she is the best judge of character.

Lea? Insane?

Surely you jest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 am

/Fish/ wrote:
Lea? Insane?

Actually, I am a little surprised, given all she's been through in her life, that she isn't nuts, or at least extremely eccentric. She's fearless and not empathic in the slightest (save towards close friends), but she seems mentally stable, at least from what is written in the wiki.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?   

Back to top Go down

Is Anna really as much of a jerk as she seems?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next