Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan calendar?

Go down 
+2
AisuKaiko
Reptillian
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 10:53 am

how about making a felaryan calendar? different amount of days and months than earth^^
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 am

Well, there's two ways you could approach it:

-Something interesting and original that's uniquely what you want

-Similar or same-first-letter names for ease of use.

Either way'd work, I think
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:59 am

Hmm...not sure how that would work. A year is based on the time to orbit a sun...and Felarya doesn't orbit one. I think the different peoples would likely just use the calender systems from their own worlds.

Now what would be interesting to know, is how long a Felaryan day is.
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Hmm...not sure how that would work. A year is based on the time to orbit a sun...and Felarya doesn't orbit one. I think the different peoples would likely just use the calender systems from their own worlds.

Now what would be interesting to know, is how long a Felaryan day is.
i think it varies from day to day. though in felarya they might not take night and day as the change of date. maybe some plant or something that blooms every so many hours or so?
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Felarya should have weeks that are eight days with a three day long weekend. And no Monday. Somehow.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 1:07 pm

i have looked in the wiki, but i can't find anything that determines how long a day is... or how many days a year has for that matter...

karbo, do you have anything specefic in mind or can i start playing around with names and quantity of weekdays and months?
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Calendar and time systems* are are a human invention, specific to societies, with similarities in certain basic units of time because of astronomical phenomenon (IE: days, lunar months, seasons, years.). Because of this, and because there are many different societies on Felarya (or that have interacted with Felarya), I highly doubt that there is one standard everyone agrees on... though if there is then it would probably be the Ur-Sagolian or Nergavian calendar system(s).

*There does exist systems of units that could be considered "natural", because scientific formulas become less complicated when you convert them to these standards, but they are very not useful for just about every purpose... for example, in one system the basic unit of time is equivalent to 5.39 * 10^-44 seconds, a unit of time so tiny it is all but impossible to think about in a meaningful way. (Even looking at the number in its full format is mind-numbing; it is: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000539)
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 pm

well its common i would think to judge time based on how the sky works. if there's a certain pattern, like the sun turning a different color every so often, then that might work. maybe the clouds do something special?

its just about math. humans ages ago invented time based on the sky in the first place, and I would THINK that for any other sentient species would probably think of the same idea.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 am

Well, I wouldn't quickly assume the sky, though that's true for many earth cultures. It just needs to be anything noticeable that repeats itself in a fairly set pattern. People measure seasons roughly on changes in plant life and weather (But does Felarya have seasons?) The sun would work for measure how long the day is. Also, Felarya may not have the changing day length the earth does do to its nature so the day may be pretty standard. As for other types of measurements, moons work great, but I'm not sure how well in the dimensionally unstable Felarya - you may have a few more moons floating up there than last time you checked!

In Negav as well there may be different ways of keeping time. An interesting idea I had is that a Negavian "Month" is the time between each "recharging" of the Isolan Eye.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 7:41 am

making a calendar, you need some regular object to relate to, like a sun or a moon or special plants or something. felarya doesn't have a sun or a moon... well, none that's constant anyway^^

so what in felarya could be used for making a calendar?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 pm

i actually have an idea that i came up with while on my way home. it also involves the weather too.

the clouds in the felaryan sky are not made of water, but is infact really dense dimensional magic. the clouds get more poofy, and bigger as the dimensional instability moves on. after a certain point, the cloud explodes, and the physical manifestation of that 'energy' becomes some kind of rain. this happens to discharge all the excess energy, and restabilize the area temporarily (or at least as stable a certain area CAN get in felarya).
however, there is one point where all the excess energy disappears for a short time, and the clouds nearly disappear completely. it is the most dimensionally stable time possible in felarya, and occurs briefly. also the predators seem to become hungrier this time of year.

this system promotes the dimensional leechness of felarya, and also is a way to sort of calendarize felarya without actually having a stable calendar. it can take 15 rain cycles or 18 rain cycles to stabilize felarya for those few hours. (keep in mind when i say "stabillize" its not actually stable).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Felaryan calendar? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan calendar?   Felaryan calendar? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan calendar?
Page 1 of 1