Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Is Notys Atlas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
avatar

Posts : 4034
Join date : 2009-05-05
Age : 29
Location : Shatterock Caldera

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:33 am

Well the portals are held up by magic, plus I think it's somewhat random what worlds the portals are connecting to at certain times. If you get to felarya on purpose or by accident, you're gonna have a hell of a time figuring out how to get back.

At least that's the way I take it. Felarya seems more like a one way mirror to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
rphb
Helpless prey


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Yea all the big portals are more or less random, but small portals like the ones many adventures take, must be relatively stable and two way. People that lives in Felarya arenít prisoners or lost, not all of them anyway. How could the Delurans for example scout the planet, if they didnít have access to stable two way portals?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

rphb wrote:
Yea all the big portals are more or less random, but small portals like the ones many adventures take, must be relatively stable and two way. People that lives in Felarya arenít prisoners or lost, not all of them anyway. How could the Delurans for example scout the planet, if they didnít have access to stable two way portals?

Negav, for example is an interdimensional trade-hub. Between its portal mages, and the dimensional gate outside the city, it is constanty trading with many different worlds. Its like a port-town and a frontier town all rolled into one.

I believe the current estimate is that it has a population of about 700,000 people, and nearly all of its food and essential supplies are imported from off-world.

As for people like the Delurans and Miritans, I imagine they have their own personal dimensional generators/gates/etc deep inside their bases, and supplies and personel likely go back and forth pretty regularly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 pm

rphb wrote:
See even Karbo agrees. One thing guardians should care about though, is that there is never any large scale emigration from Felarya; if lots of predators started purring out into other worlds that could also start a chain reaction that could end with their own destruction.
Their own destruction? You're talking about a mage who can destroy worlds. A giant naga who travels as a spirit. Whose body is guarded by things a god would have trouble with. A fairy queen who sees everything. And a guy who commands the biggest bug army this side of Starship Troopers. And then a dimensional chimera which, if I recall correctly, can rewind time. How does anything result in their destruction?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1301
Join date : 2008-05-04
Age : 26
Location : The Stream of Consciousness

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Raveolution wrote:
You're talking about a mage who can destroy worlds. A giant naga who travels as a spirit. Whose body is guarded by things a god would have trouble with. A fairy queen who sees everything. And a guy who commands the biggest bug army this side of Starship Troopers. And then a dimensional chimera which, if I recall correctly, can rewind time. How does anything result in their destruction?

+ More we don't know about
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
You're talking about a mage who can destroy worlds. A giant naga who travels as a spirit. Whose body is guarded by things a god would have trouble with. A fairy queen who sees everything. And a guy who commands the biggest bug army this side of Starship Troopers. And then a dimensional chimera which, if I recall correctly, can rewind time. How does anything result in their destruction?

+ More we don't know about

Indeed. Those are just the guardians that have shown themselves so far. It would be kind of small-thinking to assume they they are all there is to govern a near-endless dimensional plane. I imagine there are other guardian-level creatures scattered throughout the different regions. Notys, I could see her roaming around...since she can probably be in multiple places at once anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
You're talking about a mage who can destroy worlds. A giant naga who travels as a spirit. Whose body is guarded by things a god would have trouble with. A fairy queen who sees everything. And a guy who commands the biggest bug army this side of Starship Troopers. And then a dimensional chimera which, if I recall correctly, can rewind time. How does anything result in their destruction?

+ More we don't know about
Why wouldn't Guardians get power hungry and start conquering other realms? They seem brutal enough on those rare occasions that they come out to play. Who would oppose them? Other Guardians from other dimensions? Hah. Not happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1835
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 33

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Raveolution wrote:

Why wouldn't Guardians get power hungry and start conquering other realms? They seem brutal enough on those rare occasions that they come out to play. Who would oppose them? Other Guardians from other dimensions? Hah. Not happening.

The explanation was given in a previous post you read. I'm quoting because you seemed to limit yourself to only a paragraph.

this the post
rphb wrote:
The collective strength vs. the individual strength, good point, but you are forgetting the intent. Sure the guardians could be defeated if a large enough group of humans decided to ban together, no force in the universe no matter how strong is more powerful then the collective strength of man. Thatís what you are saying. Iím not saying I disagree, but Iím going to give you that thesis.

Even with that, Felarya will still remain untouched and wild simply because the intent is not there. The creatures of Felarya are only a treat to these that enter Felarya. The vast majority of humans live in other worlds. Why should I as a human on Calcador, a world that have no predators and have known peace for millennia care what happens in Felarya? Sure I may have a relative that went there to seek treasure and predictable got earthen.
If I am psychological unstable like Lesona, I may take it personally and seek vengeance, but my government sure as hell wont interfere and send troops just because a few adventures that had been warned lost there lives.
The government of Calcador is interested in the lives and welfare of the citizens of Calcador. You will never get them to join a war against the guardians as long as the guardians are no treat to Calcador.
Sure there may be a few worlds that are so warlike that they will fight anyone that donít submit, but unless we have a very good reason to ban together against the guardians of Felarya we wonít.

Have you ever wondered why the guardians donít interfere more often, and why they donít try to spread there influence beyond Felarya? Is it because they canít? No itís because they wonít. Whatís the point in antagonizing a peaceful and powerful world like Calcador? Even if they could overrun it, their allies would turn the entire universe against them.
You see war is not inevitable. You only go to war when you hope you have something to grain, or fear that you have something to lose.
As long as the guardians never interfere with anything outside Felarya you will never muster an army powerful enough to defeat them, simply because there is no reason good enough.



Ow an about the sentience nonsentience of farm animals. I know for a fact that some animals are sentient and care as much about family relations as we do. They have had many problems in Africa about gangs of raging teenage male elephants. What made these boys so angry was that they got traumatized after seeing there families shot by humans; some by poachers, others by the authorities because they deemed that there were too many elephant in an area. They never considered the psychological effect of the survivors when you decide to massacre some of there close relatives. These elephant gangs have become furious at man for what we have done to them and have often attacked small villages destroying them completely. The really tragically thing is that it is never the villages that kill there kinds, but almost always the white men.
An elephant are of course very intelligent animals, far more intelligent then cows, but how do you know that cows donít have emotions when we know for a fact that we, and some of the must intelligent animals do. As I said before, you need to point to a qualitative difference between man and animal. If sentience isnít a question about absolute a ďEnten ellerĒ (either or) as Kierkegaard would say, if itís just a gradual increase of intensity, then there can be no absolute moral difference between man and animals, but only a gradual one.

The part you focused on

rphb wrote:
Ow an about the sentience nonsentience of farm animals. I know for a fact that some animals are sentient and care as much about family relations as we do. They have had many problems in Africa about gangs of raging teenage male elephants. What made these boys so angry was that they got traumatized after seeing there families shot by humans; some by poachers, others by the authorities because they deemed that there were too many elephant in an area. They never considered the psychological effect of the survivors when you decide to massacre some of there close relatives. These elephant gangs have become furious at man for what we have done to them and have often attacked small villages destroying them completely.

And this is the interesting part you miss.

rphb wrote:
Even with that, Felarya will still remain untouched and wild simply because the intent is not there. The creatures of Felarya are only a treat to these that enter Felarya. The vast majority of humans live in other worlds. Why should I as a human on Calcador, a world that have no predators and have known peace for millennia care what happens in Felarya? Sure I may have a relative that went there to seek treasure and predictable got earthen.
If I am psychological unstable like Lesona, I may take it personally and seek vengeance, but my government sure as hell wont interfere and send troops just because a few adventures that had been warned lost there lives.
The government of Calcador is interested in the lives and welfare of the citizens of Calcador. You will never get them to join a war against the guardians as long as the guardians are no treat to Calcador.
Sure there may be a few worlds that are so warlike that they will fight anyone that donít submit, but unless we have a very good reason to ban together against the guardians of Felarya we wonít.

Have you ever wondered why the guardians donít interfere more often, and why they donít try to spread there influence beyond Felarya? Is it because they canít? No itís because they wonít. Whatís the point in antagonizing a peaceful and powerful world like Calcador? Even if they could overrun it, their allies would turn the entire universe against them.
You see war is not inevitable. You only go to war when you hope you have something to grain, or fear that you have something to lose.
As long as the guardians never interfere with anything outside Felarya you will never muster an army powerful enough to defeat them, simply because there is no reason good enough.

This part is interesting because it answers to your thread

I bold the part which answer your current question.

rphb wrote:
Have you ever wondered why the guardians donít interfere more often, and why they donít try to spread there influence beyond Felarya? Is it because they canít? No itís because they wonít. Whatís the point in antagonizing a peaceful and powerful world like Calcador? Even if they could overrun it, their allies would turn the entire universe against them.
You see war is not inevitable. You only go to war when you hope you have something to grain, or fear that you have something to lose.
As long as the guardians never interfere with anything outside Felarya you will never muster an army powerful enough to defeat them, simply because there is no reason good enough.


Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : minor rephrasing)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Raveolution wrote:
/Fish/ wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
You're talking about a mage who can destroy worlds. A giant naga who travels as a spirit. Whose body is guarded by things a god would have trouble with. A fairy queen who sees everything. And a guy who commands the biggest bug army this side of Starship Troopers. And then a dimensional chimera which, if I recall correctly, can rewind time. How does anything result in their destruction?

+ More we don't know about
Why wouldn't Guardians get power hungry and start conquering other realms? They seem brutal enough on those rare occasions that they come out to play. Who would oppose them? Other Guardians from other dimensions? Hah. Not happening.

Why would they want to? They have everything they could ever want right where they are. Do you think Nemyra is going to get off her fancy throne, in her personal pocket-dimension, where she is likely waited on and pampered by her subjects...to go take over some other world where she'll get old and die in if she hangs around? I doubt that =P

Keep in mind, the Guardians (not including Notys, since she seems to be completely different altogether) are just really powerful individuals. If they leave Felarya, they'll start to age and die. I also think they'd be weaker if they moved to a less magically rich world.

They basically have free-reign over an immortal paradise. There's no reason to leave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Why would they want to? They have everything they could ever want right where they are. Do you think Nemyra is going to get off her fancy throne, in her personal pocket-dimension, where she is likely waited on and pampered by her subjects...to go take over some other world where she'll get old and die in if she hangs around? I doubt that =P

Keep in mind, the Guardians (not including Notys, since she seems to be completely different altogether) are just really powerful individuals. If they leave Felarya, they'll start to age and die. I also think they'd be weaker if they moved to a less magically rich world.

They basically have free-reign over an immortal paradise. There's no reason to leave.
Okay. I never took the Guardians as being in any way vulnerable to things like aging or running out of magic energy. That appeared to be more a restriction for everyone else that if they left Felarya they'd grow old and die and lose their magic and be vulnerable to diseases. *breathes sigh of relief*

Now I'm starting to get a few ideas of what Ur Sagol found out and why they got stomped...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oldman40k2003
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 661
Join date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Darn these people writing all their replies before I can finish mine! *shakes fist at them*

Raveolution wrote:
Why wouldn't Guardians get power hungry and start conquering other realms? They seem brutal enough on those rare occasions that they come out to play. Who would oppose them? Other Guardians from other dimensions? Hah. Not happening.


Perhaps their powers are linked to Felarya in some manner? If they get too far away from it their powers might vanish, or lessen.

More ominously, perhaps they are guarding something or someone, preventing them from escaping.

Maybe Felaya's natural tendency is to "engulf" other worlds, but the guardians make sure that it doesn't do so, thus keeping the rest of the multi-verse safe? (Notys would probably be the guardian doing this, while the other guardians support her/him/it by keeping other powerful forces in check.

Or just maybe the guardians are a group of "good" guys, beings who believe in "the balance", and maintain it on Felarya. They don't go out conquering because it's simply not in their nature to do so, just like how most people don't go around robbing houses even though they could (and most would get away with it too). (There is a little bit of evidence for this point: they keep fighting and defeating powerful beings/societies that upset the balance.)

It is important to note that brutality isn't related to "evilness"; it's practically a stereotype that the "nice guy hero" will crush the enemy until the enemy lacks both the means and the will to ever fight again.

_________________
Eye see you.

"...you can't explain everything with science." - Our own "Sean Okotami"
Sure you can, though you may have to invent a new field of science first.

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" - Agatha Heterodyne
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:24 pm

Oldman40k2003 wrote:
Maybe Felaya's natural tendency is to "engulf" other worlds, but the guardians make sure that it doesn't do so, thus keeping the rest of the multi-verse safe? (Notys would probably be the guardian doing this, while the other guardians support her/him/it by keeping other powerful forces in check.
^^^ I like this idea best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rphb
Helpless prey


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 am

First of all, time is a sensitive topic. I would appreciate if any time changing, altering and traveling be strict from canon if it has found itís way in there. Time is very complex I canít even begin to explain itís nature here, a long story short is that every science fiction movie ever made about time travel is wrong. So place donít talk about time, itís a wasp nest you donít want to stick your hand into.
Second, about this abilities that the guardians have, sure they are powerful they are gods right? But that doesnít mean that they are undefeatable. I donít really care about the specific. There strength can be considered like that of the mountain, a giant colossus that wrist into the sky. As its adversary we have the water, a single drop, a little stream, a snowflake in the winter, and a pint of steam in the summer. What can that do to the mountain that is solid stone?
The impact is small and steady, for a long time it can be dismissed, but the more water that runs the deeper it cuts in the snow, in the end the mountain would be cleaved in two, by a single little stream. Thatís the trick you see. You cannot defeat water, it just keeps coming. No matter the size of the mountain it can be chopped down stone by stone.
The collective of man is like the water and the mountain any single force that opposes them. As I said before itís about politics. There is a very big difference between being offensive and defensive. If they started expanding there influence to other worlds, they would become a treat to the peace, instead of the force that upholds it.
Put mathematically:
The collective force of the guardians we call G, and the force that opposes the guardians we call X.
X must be distinguish from the potential X, it refers solely to them that actually want the Guardians defeated. The world that I invented earlier Calcador does not belong to X because they have no interest in Felarya as long as they are left alone in peace.
To defeat the guardians we simply need to create a situation where X>G
This scenario is possible as long as G≠∞
That however is logical impossible as they would no longer merely be a god, but God and then they diffidently wonít be what you describe, first of al there must be a singularity.

In order to prevent the situation X>G they just need to not antagonize too many outside forces that are potentially X, and every outside force is.
Explicit cohesive hard power is also always weaker then diplomatic soft power. Why crush the forces that suppose you when you can make them join you and make a profit. Soft power increases G and decreases X as more people would be interested in preserving the present power structure and fewer of changing it. The arbitrary power that you give G changes nothing in this regard. G must always fear their own destruction and remind themselves that they are not unbeatable. The moment you believe that you are, and start using hard power without consideration, is the moment you start on the part of your own destruction.

This is also the explanation for why we donít see them more, why they so rarely intervene. Few would dare disturb a slumbering dragon yet still battle it bravely if it attracted there home. You see, being a guardian is like being a nation all in yourself, and you would need to take all the same consideration about your action as a president would about the affairs of his government.


Last edited by rphb on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 am

I wouldn't worry too much about time-travel, or portals opening to different times. We've worked to keep that from happening, since it would just make a huge....brain-paining mess, like time-travel usually does. lol

The only thing in Felarya that comes close is Notys. That's just her nature. She's some kind of extra-dimensional creature that lives outside of time and space as we know it (although, she can come into our dimension and interact with things). She seems to be able to manipulate and twist reality, and even her just moving around can leave strange anamolies in her wake at times. Its rumored that Anna's transformation into a naga was due to some kind of Notys-related anamoly.

Personally, I think she's different from the guardians altogether. They are just really powerful nagas, fairies, insects, etc...but she's something else entirely. (also my personal opinion) I think she's trapped in Felarya. Why else wouldn't she move on? Maybe something to do with the dimensional physics of Felarya's pocket-dimension. Either way, she seems to hang around, and show a lot of restraint, since I imagine she could reaaaaaally mess things up if she wanted to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
rphb
Helpless prey


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:36 am

Another day to the strange land of Felarya had arrived and today Leopold had come out to hunt. While most other member of his species loved to hunt, and indeed played a large part of there lives doing it, hunting was never something Leopold enjoyed. He needed to do it of course to restock his quarry but he only ate a couple of humans a day. If you stopped yourself as so many of the young nagas did you only become sleepy and unable to work.

Leopold had always been a bit of an eccentric, enjoyed many things that other nagas didnít. He used many hours a day philosophizing about the meanings of live, how the world functioned and what lay beyond. He was very curios about the world and had often been on expeditions for months at a time. He always took careful measure of where he was and recorded it. All of his findings he recorded with meticulous care on his map. He had recently completed one that went all the way from the eastern to the western shore of the continent. He did not know how far north and south the continent went, and had little knowledge of what was east of jewel River. He wants to go there himself but he dreads getting wet so most of what he knows of its eastern shore beyond what he can se, he have from the mermaid Neko. He have stood guard for her temple close to a dozen times when she went exploring for him only to find out when she (finally) came back that she had almost forgotten why she had left. Finally his dealings with her became too frustrating for him, she never seemed like taking anything seriously, so he decided to forget about the eastern bank until he had found the means to travel there himself.

That however isnít something that is going to happen soon because frankly he canít swim. Heís a firenaga and fire has always been easy for him to manipulate, he can summon an orb subconsciously now when he needs the light to draw or paint. Plants needed to make paint are not uncommon but they still require skill to find. He has therefore decided to grow them himself along with many other useful spices.

It is difficult being a mapmaker in Felarya. The planet never stays stable in one place of the universe for too long so he can never use the stars for navigation. While most dweller of Felarya have never given this a second thought Leopold is vary worried about this instability and fear that they may all be in greater danger then they realizes. They way the very planet blinks from one system to the next is a sign that the space time around it is starting to dissolve. If not for the interference of a very powerful being whose nature he couldnít even begin to fathom, the world would have imploded long ago. Heís sure that Notys is at the core of the mystery but exactly how he has no idea.


Okay this is my first preview the story about Leopold, the back-story so to say. Please comment, this is what this treat was really supposed to be about. I am also interested to hear what you think of my idea regarding Notys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:31 pm

rcs619 wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about time-travel, or portals opening to different times. We've worked to keep that from happening, since it would just make a huge....brain-paining mess, like time-travel usually does. lol

The only thing in Felarya that comes close is Notys. That's just her nature. She's some kind of extra-dimensional creature that lives outside of time and space as we know it (although, she can come into our dimension and interact with things). She seems to be able to manipulate and twist reality, and even her just moving around can leave strange anamolies in her wake at times. Its rumored that Anna's transformation into a naga was due to some kind of Notys-related anamoly.
That would make Notys a God, right? Couldn't she alter reality and get un-trapped from Felarya?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rphb
Helpless prey


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm

First you need to define what a god is, second why do you think she is trapped. If it is like I suggested, she is in Felarya of her own free will, because without her the planet would implode. It is very godlike to be benevolent like that. Itís like Atlas.

For this that donít know. Atlas is a titan from Greek mythology that as punishment for siding against Zeus are charged with holding up heaven. He can let go if he want, but that would destroy everything, and he certainly donít want that, all he wants is to go to a bar and find some girls and generally have a good time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Raveolution wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about time-travel, or portals opening to different times. We've worked to keep that from happening, since it would just make a huge....brain-paining mess, like time-travel usually does. lol

The only thing in Felarya that comes close is Notys. That's just her nature. She's some kind of extra-dimensional creature that lives outside of time and space as we know it (although, she can come into our dimension and interact with things). She seems to be able to manipulate and twist reality, and even her just moving around can leave strange anamolies in her wake at times. Its rumored that Anna's transformation into a naga was due to some kind of Notys-related anamoly.
That would make Notys a God, right? Couldn't she alter reality and get un-trapped from Felarya?

Reality =P...as in the "real world", not inter-dimensional space or wherever she lives. I imagine that's a whole different kind of dimension with its own set of rules and limitations.

As for a god...that's kind of a subjective term. To someone on the physical plane? She's probably close to what could be considered "god-like"...but for all we know, there could be more of her kind living in the spaces between reality, or maybe a whole other ecosystem in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Reality =P...as in the "real world", not inter-dimensional space or wherever she lives. I imagine that's a whole different kind of dimension with its own set of rules and limitations.
What I mean is, can't she just change things like "Anna is a Deluran, not a Naga; oh wait, nah, Anna is now a naga!" or "1+1=2, now 1+1=3" and all that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rphb
Helpless prey


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Raveolution wrote:
What I mean is, can't she just change things like "Anna is a Deluran, not a Naga; oh wait, nah, Anna is now a naga!" or "1+1=2, now 1+1=3" and all that?

You donít understand anything about logic if you believe this is possible. The most logical explanation for what happened to Anna is that she was resurrected and broth back to life as a naga, after her old body was dissolved. Resurrection is much simpler then time travel.
As for the logic part, the answer is no.

Notys, or God, lets just say God, canít make 1+1=3. The reason is simple. Logic exists outside time and space, God exist outside time and space; ergo logic is part of God. You claim that Notys is ďa godĒ that may be true under certain definitions, but ďa godĒ is still a being, and all beings exist in time. They may exist in another and higher plain where time moves differently from ours but the fundamental essence of timeliness is still there. The best a god can hope for is to live forever where God is eternal and does not exist in time at all.

You need to understand that this theology concept is really complex but I donít think that this is the forum for it anyway. If you want to discuss theology there are other forums for that.

I would also like to plead that we turn the discussion around to my story idea. I need feedback if I am going to go forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1301
Join date : 2008-05-04
Age : 26
Location : The Stream of Consciousness

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 pm

rphb wrote:
I would also like to plead that we turn the discussion around to my story idea. I need feedback if I am going to go forward.

Like I suggested before, if you want to post story ideas and hammer out your own, there is a dedicated forum for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 pm

rphb wrote:
Raveolution wrote:
What I mean is, can't she just change things like "Anna is a Deluran, not a Naga; oh wait, nah, Anna is now a naga!" or "1+1=2, now 1+1=3" and all that?

You donít understand anything about logic if you believe this is possible. The most logical explanation for what happened to Anna is that she was resurrected and broth back to life as a naga, after her old body was dissolved. Resurrection is much simpler then time travel.
As for the logic part, the answer is no.
My point is when someone allegedly can change reality, it isn't certain at all what that means, or what the limitations on that ability is. Has Karbo established limits on Notys's abilities? Is there any logic involved in saying she, a dimensional chimera, can change someone's luck or resurrect a human as a naga? This isn't about logic, it's about a plot device. What can Notys do or not do? I don't even think Karbo wants that to be known.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rphb
Helpless prey


Posts : 22
Join date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 am

What is was trying to say, was that a story was inconsistent not only if its pieces donít fit together, but also if it is logically inconsistent, if it doesnít corresponds with fundamental logic. No to resurrect a person is actually not that big a feat. Not if we take certain assumptions, which are in themselves not problematic, like those regarding souls.
Resurrection requires that the soul of the subject in question is contained and transferred to a new body. Now the creation of a body is only a question of enginerical knowledge and skill. It is actually a simple process and canít be considered reality change at all. Now according to chaos theory this event could happen by chance but the probability is less then one in a googolplex, so that option is really not relevant.
For the story to be consistent the event where Anna was resurrected as naga, could only be by the intervention of a very powerful being. If any of the human factions were able to build naga bodies to inhabit in any larger quantity the balance of power would be shifted in there favor.

The thrilling conclusion to this is of course that divine intervention is the only plausible explanation, and it is more logical to call Notys a god. This of cause leves of with the question of that her intent was with this. As we know that Notys primarily seeks to maintain stability and the status que, Anna must have a critical part to play in a coming conflict that threatens to tear the world apart. My guess is that her unique history makes her the ideal ambasedor between the nagas and the other predators, and her former Delurans compatriots and the other humans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 635
Join date : 2008-03-29
Location : Zentraedi Macronization Chamber

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:43 pm

rphb wrote:
What is was trying to say, was that a story was inconsistent not only if its pieces donít fit together, but also if it is logically inconsistent, if it doesnít corresponds with fundamental logic.
Dude. Felarya, like a LOT of other story universes, depends on a lot of inconsistencies. Let's start with the often total denial of almost every known and proven human instinct that is related to survival, even for natives; but the preds have absolutely killer survival instincts. Then the fact that humanoids can be giants (itself impossible by the laws of physics) but there are no giant weapons because they're held to the laws of physics. There's a long list here, and that is practically true of any story universe that's not hard sci-fi or hard fantasy. The binding rule in this universe is a fetish. Everything is consistent with that.

Quote :
No to resurrect a person is actually not that big a feat. Not if we take certain assumptions, which are in themselves not problematic, like those regarding souls.
Well, they don't appear to be problematic. And we'll be long dead before humanity ever comes up with meaningful scientific-ish knowledge of the soul.

Quote :
The thrilling conclusion to this is of course that divine intervention is the only plausible explanation, and it is more logical to call Notys a god.
So basically she wouldn't be able to alter the rules of logic because she's a god, not God. A lesser deity, somewhere approximate to the level of the "Q" continuum.

Quote :
This of cause leves of with the question of that her intent was with this. As we know that Notys primarily seeks to maintain stability and the status que, Anna must have a critical part to play in a coming conflict that threatens to tear the world apart. My guess is that her unique history makes her the ideal ambasedor between the nagas and the other predators, and her former Delurans compatriots and the other humans.
I don't see the Guardians letting there be a conflict that would tear the world apart. Is Karbo planning for some such conflict?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1589
Join date : 2008-04-07
Age : 29
Location : Hanging out with Fiona in the Bulvon Wood

PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 pm

@ Rave

There's no such rule against giant weapons. Its mentioned in the wiki, for example, that Dridders are known for being fond of making weapons and armor for themselves.

Most preds just don't do it because they either don't have the raw materials, or the knowledge to forge things (or they just don't have the need for them). Now, forged things would be more common the the more advanced Pred cultures, like the fairy kingdom and the dridder forest.

The average pred living in the jungle would probably just have simple tools. Maybe a stone or bone hatchet...possibly a spear. Really just what they can make out of the materials on hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Is Notys Atlas?   

Back to top Go down
 
Is Notys Atlas?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Rochdale should create a riverside, heritage themed town centre
» [ ???l??? ] ??? { a 1x1 between Atlas and Fool }
» Atlas my Durango
» How To Get Big With Transformetrics
» Interesting Discussion About Charles Atlas...

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: