Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Books

Go down 
+22
Vaderaz
vegeta002
/Fish/
Feadraug
S-Guy
beefy
rcs619
Silent_eric
Ewin
Sephimink|Kyle
Googlememan
NinthSun
The Rev
observer88
melancholy-melody13
Chelsea Nightwind
Karbo
Feign
dlausactor6373
Pendragon
Malahite
Siafu789
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Siafu789
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Siafu789

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Nearly a month, and I'm amazed that a thread like this wasn't created.

So, what are your favorite books? Genres? Authors? Series, for those inclined?

I've read a lot in my short life, so it's hard to pick favorites: right now, I'm really digging I Am Legend. When I'm finished, I find something more coherent than "Wow!" to express my amazement.
Back to top Go down
http://militant-prey.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:11 pm

Hyperion. Best. Sci-Fi. Book. EVER. At one point, one of the main characters takes surgery to make himself resemble a Satyr while he runs around raping the townswomen. Another, you see a Robot running around at speeds that everyone else seems to be frozen solid. And it is written WELL.

Beyond such, I can recommend nearly any Warhammer 40,000 Book by Dan Abnett (The Gaunts Ghost series, Horus Heresy stuff, Eisenhorn Omnibus, etc), Sandy Mitchel ('Cause Ciaphas Cain = Rincewind of Warhammer 40,000), William King (Haegr! Haegr!), or Anthony Reynolds. Ben Counter puts in some good books as well, but they don't seem to match the above three writers for 40K.

Dune is another great set of reads I can suggest. Don't read the Kevin J. Anderson stuff, though, stick with the Originals. Paul Atriedes = Epic, as does Gurney Halleck, Duncan Idaho, and a few others.

My overall top choices would currently be (in this order):

Hyperion
Dune & it's Sequel (Children of Dune, I think?)
Eisenhorn Omnibus
Spacewolf Series
Malus Darkblade series

EDIT: Forgot the Bourne Identity. Wonderful, Wonderful book. Shows how Memory Loss should be written.

Last edited by on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Well, once I read Alice in Wonderland. It was a nice read.

I also read up on the Swiss Family Robinson and I liked it.

I'd also recommend the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Looney Tunes equivalent, "The Scarlet Pumpernickel."

Also in my favorite books were:

The Cay
A Separate Piece
The Outsiders
Freak the Mighty

and other long since forgotten classics.
Back to top Go down
dlausactor6373
Great warrior
Great warrior
dlausactor6373

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 5:34 pm

Here are soem of mine:

The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells-One of the best sci-fi books ever. A true classic about an invasion from Mars.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley-The classic tale of a man who takes his research too far.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson-Another classic horror story that exploits the dark and light sides of man.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux-The story that inspired Andrew Lloyd Webber's spectacular musical. A story about a young opera singer who is stalked by a madman whom she believes to be her Angel of Music.

Dracula by Bram Stoker-The greatest vampire story ever made! The story that ignited the whole Dracula mythos.

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker-The book that inspired the movie Hellraiser. One really fucked up read.

Frankenstein by Dean Koontz-A sequel to Mary Shelley's book set in modern day New Orleans. Victor and his creation have survived for two hundred years and now the crreature, called Deucalion, must stop Victor from unleashing his enhanced breed of humans on the world. Book three should be out sometime this year.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Marauder of the deep jungle
Feign

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 6:52 pm

The Rats of NIMH books (Robert C. O'Brien and later Jane Leslie Conly)
- These books are my childhood... And they give a good frame of reference for a tiny main character in a world of giants now that I look back on it. Also one of the few movies from the 80s that I still find to be just as entertaining as it was when I was a kid.

The Lord of the Rings (JRR Tolken, obviously)
- every geek has read them, they are pretty much the basis of modern fantasy.

Frankenstein (Mary Shelly, also obviously)
- The classic monster story, but also one of the few stories with a really morally ambiguous monster. Sure he was inhuman, dangerous, and at least once murderous but he was also someone I could feel sympathy for. Also, contrary to almost all of the movies, the monster was disturbingly smart in the book.

Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath (HP Lovecraft)
- It's barely long enough of a story to consider a book, readable in one sitting. It's also actually part of a series of stories about Randolph Carter... Possibly the only character in any of HP Lovecraft's stories that doesn't go insane or get eaten. Really, any HP lovecraft would be in my favorites list, but this is at the top of it.

American Gods (Neil Gaiman)
- An amazing story with awesome twists, and a sense of spirituality that very well parallels my own. Also, the book starts out with unbirth... Very graphically described unbirth (a heads up if you're into that kind of thing)...

Last edited by on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Feign wrote:
Also, the book starts out with unbirth... Very graphically described unbirth (a heads up if you're into that kind of thing)...

Malahite: Jan 11th wrote:
Unless you mean that mind-destroying pr0n known as unbirth. Throne, now you reminded me of such. Someone grab me some bleach and a soldering iron.
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Malahite wrote:
Feign wrote:
Also, the book starts out with unbirth... Very graphically described unbirth (a heads up if you're into that kind of thing)...

Malahite: Jan 11th wrote:
Unless you mean that mind-destroying pr0n known as unbirth. Throne, now you reminded me of such. Someone grab me some bleach and a soldering iron.
*cough* Okay, also a heads up to those who don't like it... just skip the first part, it has little to do with the story.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 6:45 am

The best book I ever read hand down : A song of fire and ice by R. R. Martin Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Chelsea Nightwind
Helpless prey

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 1:21 pm

my two favorite books are White Fang and To Kill a Mockingbird. the latter has a main character named Scout who is almost EXACTLY like me in personality :B
Back to top Go down
http://eruhreign.deviantart.com
melancholy-melody13
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
melancholy-melody13

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 4:41 pm

A great and terrible beauty, Eragon ((in my opinion they screwed up on thee movie)) Hawksong, Snakecharm, Falcondance, Wolfcry, Twilight, the true meaning of clevage, New moon, Gingerbread, The giver, gathering blue, All the harry potter books, The lottery, Most RL stine books, Eldest, Rebel angels, Born again, Keeping the moon, Speak, Lord of the flys lol my list goes ON ^^
Back to top Go down
http://melancholy-melody.deviantart.com/
observer88
observer88

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 4:51 am

Some books I like and have read:

• "Dune" - Frank Herbert
  • "20000 leagues under the sea", "Journey to the center of the Earth" - Jules Verne
  • "Padurea Spanzuratilor" - Liviu Rebreanu
  • "O scrisoare pierduta" - Ion Luca Caragiale

Some books I like and am considering to read when I have the time:

• "Morometii" - Marin Preda
  • "The Grapes of Wrath" - John Steinbeck
  • the rest of Frank Herbert's Dune series
Back to top Go down
http://observer88.deviantart.com/
The Rev
Hero
Hero
The Rev

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Jesus Christ, I haven't read anything mentioned in this thread, except for Eragon and Eldest. I personally like the whole Ender series by Orson Scott Card.

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
~~
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Shadow of the Giant/First Meetings (unread)
Back to top Go down
Feign
Feign

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 6:37 pm

observer88 wrote:

• "The Grapes of Wrath" - John Steinbeck
  • the rest of Frank Herbert's Dune series
The Grapes of Wrath will ignite in you a burning hatred for all humanity... Moreso in the fact that it is true history. I don't like the book, but I'm glad I've read it. It's one of the few times in high school I read to the end of an assigned book when I didn't have to.

In a similar vein, on the other hand "All Quiet on the Western Front" will make you want leap to the abyss due to the hopelessness of our vile, squalid existence... That book I hated and probably would have been a better person for not reading. (oh, public school system why did you have to inflict that book on my young mind.)

I've tried to read Dune when I was a little kid, since my dad is a fan of that series in the way that some geeks are fans of Star Wars. That is to say he's based his life outlook on it. Perhaps I should try to pick up that series again, perhaps I could understand him a bit better then.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 11:54 am

Going to try and find the story again, but there's one online where humanity is [SPOILER]Killed by a race of Non-sentient Vampires. It ends with the main character (Last surviving human) reflecting that he is likely the last living sentient being in the universe.[/END]
Back to top Go down
NinthSun
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
NinthSun

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 am

Since I can't think of a lot at the moment I'm going to say that the story Reiko took time to make was altogether really good, I could imagine everything in my mind. YAY MIND!! cheers

~ Reiko in Felarya
~ All of the Drizzt and Entreri books
...being that my brain is currently in a disfunctional state that is all I can think of Neutral
Back to top Go down
Googlememan
Survivor
Survivor
Googlememan

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm

Favorite books:

1:raise the titanic

2:vixin 03

3:Sea hunters

4:sea hunters II

5:Shipwrecks of the outer banks

6:haunted virginia

7:Inca gold

8:Sahara

9:Night Probe

10:The chase

11:Haunted Ohio

As u can see i love Clive Cussler books and ghost books
Back to top Go down
http://DecepticonBarricade.deviantart.com/
Sephimink|Kyle
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:24 pm

1984 by George Orwell.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Sephimink|Kyle wrote:
1984 by George Orwell.
Ah yes, Dystopia at its finest.
Back to top Go down
Ewin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Ewin

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 pm

I read a few of the 40K stories a while back Malahite, they were pretty good. Favourite was the 'Deathwing' stories, actually scared the crap outta me in the Space Hulk part with the ghost radio transmissions moving alongside them. Also really liked some of the Gaunts Ghosts stuff, although only really read about the unit formation and destruction of there homeworld in some free short story book.

Apart from those, obviously the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. (That's something everyone should read once in their life)

Recent reading is somewhat different though. 'My War' by Colby Buzzell is basically a blog turned into a book by a US soldier that served in Iraq. Very good read if you like that kind of thing.
'Highway to hell' by John Geddes. Diary of UK soldier that worked in Iraq recently as a bodyguard (Or gun for hire, merc, PMC, whatever)
I read them both several times over.

BUT, the best stories I've been reading lately currently don't have a hard back cover as they reside in DA, Can't name them all but there's a goldmine of talent there which I'm ploughing through.
Back to top Go down
http://elvenskies.deviantart.com/
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 5:48 pm

My favorite books? Firstly, the 40k books are amazing. They are my newest obsession. In particular, Cain, Gaunt's Ghosts, and Last Chancers. I'm still reading through the Ghosts, but I'm already past the part where I know that I hate Lijah Fething Cuu so much! I hope he dies and meets Menyssan in Hell.

But I used to be heavy into animorphs in my youth, and I always like reading books that were based on movies. Somehow, they always seem to tell more of the story. For example, did you know in the Doom movie, half of the characters actually had names? It's true! As for other odd stuff I enjoy reading. I actually like to read the fluff and rules for games. I mean things like D&D, World of Darkness, Shadowrun, DC Heroes, 40k, and stuff like that. But that's just me.

As for specific books; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a favorite. And I like that one book about the japanese class that has to kill each other on an island... What was it? Christopher Moore is one of my favorite authors. I recomend in particular, A Dirty Job. It has a good, humorous take on an ordinary man suddenly becoming death. Well, a death, not The Death. The book explains more. Also, it has succubi (kinda) who vore (even more kinda). In any case, he has several good books. Now that I think about it, many of his books have vorish undertones... And of course, The Zombie Survival Guide is a must read.

Oh yeah! That book I couldn't remember, it was called Battle Royal! That was an intense book.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 12:23 pm

New book to my favorites: Fall of Hyperion. Goes right after Hyperion (Its sequel). Might not make sense if you haven't read the first. Still a wonderful read, though.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeMon Apr 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Stephen King- really anything, but "The Dark Tower" series in particular.

Michael Crichton- "Jurassic Park" one of the greatest books ever.

Steve Alten- Pretty much anything he writes.

Tom Clancey: "Rainbow 6" and "Red Storm Rising"

Jon Stewart: "America: A Citizan's guide to Democracy Inaction"

Stephen Colbert: "I am America (and so can you)"

- and many others -
Back to top Go down
beefy
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
beefy

Location : In front of my lovely laptop. Where else would I want to be?

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 6:11 pm

Lord of the Rings, Eragon, Eldest. 1984 is indeed a good book. I never really got into all that vampire stuff though. I don't get it. confused
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 6:20 pm

Adding Rise of Endymion to the Dan Simmons book recommendations.
Back to top Go down
S-Guy
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
S-Guy

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 6:32 pm

I don't read as much as some...oh fine, MOST people, but a few of my favorites have been Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke. They're good, immersive books that you can get lost in...at least until you realize its almost 6:30 in the morning and you're only going to get about an hour of sleep. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Favorite Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Books   Favorite Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Books
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next