Share | 

Is your question already answered?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scifidork
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:43 pm

A thread to post questions and get quick answers. If there isn't a quick answer, make another thread for it.

My first question: What measuring system do we use here? I've seen American measurements, but is it okay to use Metric as well?(I'm familiar with both, just trying to figure which one to use)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scifidork.deviantart.com/
Jtte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 pm

I've seen mostly America, as far as things as height goes, though I personally prefer the metric system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
spike833
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:04 pm

When I was glimpsing through the manga for the first time, I think I saw someone use the metric system, so I guess its up to an individual to decide what he/she is going to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm

And all I can think of is John Stewart making fun of the newscasters for harping on the poor scientist asking him to explain what 9 meters is in English...

I really don't see how you could be wrong to use either, or something completely different (although in this case it would be necessary to convert it for us). Felarya from what I've read in the backstories and wiki is quite the cauldron pot of races, so to think they all speak the same language or have similar measuring systems when they come from such a variety of locales would be rather silly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
/Fish/
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:32 pm

aethernavale wrote:
so to think they all speak the same language or have similar measuring systems when they come from such a variety of locales would be rather silly.

Everyone 'does' speak the same language. Powerful world translation spell makes most languages compatible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
aethernavale wrote:
so to think they all speak the same language or have similar measuring systems when they come from such a variety of locales would be rather silly.

Everyone 'does' speak the same language. Powerful world translation spell makes most languages compatible.

That would just mean they understand each other. Not that they speak the same language.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 pm

It's more like a translating spell, from what I can tell, so yes, it makes people think they speak the same language... although I have a couple of characters that have some knowledge in several languages in case of... anything. xD

Anyway, I like to use both systems. There's no rule against using feet instead of meters or viceversa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Feadraug wrote:
Anyway, I like to use both systems. There's no rule against using feet instead of meters or viceversa.

Though as far as I am aware, everything in the wiki is in feet... though I don't know why that is.

"...you can't explain everything with science." - Our own "Sean Okotami"
Sure you can, though you may have to invent a new field of science first.

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" - Agatha Heterodyne
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Well, I was refering in general, either the wiki or people's stories. Though as far as it goes, I guess that for the English-speaking community some might find it better if it is in feet, inches, pounds... rather than meters, centimeters, kilograms... Dunno, people should confirm thsi...

I have no problem with either system, really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://paridas.carlosbg.es
/Fish/
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 pm

aethernavale wrote:
That would just mean they understand each other. Not that they speak the same language.

Right. That's why I put 'does' in little marks and went on to explain why it isn't quite so.

Last edited by /Fish/ on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:27 pm

Feadraug wrote:
Well, I was refering in general, either the wiki or people's stories. Though as far as it goes, I guess that for the English-speaking community some might find it better if it is in feet, inches, pounds... rather than meters, centimeters, kilograms... Dunno, people should confirm thsi...

I have no problem with either system, really.

I don't really care either way. See my reference to the "English' joke that Stewart made in regards to some idiots in the newscasting business. In all honesty, most people use measurement systems interchangeably without ever realizing it, and don't remember the respective systems to begin with. For example, how many people have you ever heard talk about 'slug' as a unit of measurement? Can you compare ounces to pints to quarts to gallons without thinking about it? People don't talk about their cars in wattage, they use horsepower (of which there are at least three recognized types of horsepower). Do you know the difference between a short, long, and metric tonne? Some people I've run across think that Celsius is a metric unit, which it is not (it is however used interchangeably with Kelvins, which are metric; since they both describe the same thing and change by the same amount and there are rules that noone has probably ever heard of that allow this to be done - kinda like how there is a US Congressional law stating that 1 inch = 2.54 centimetres [and yes I find it horribly amusing these forums believe I spelled centimetre wrong, I guess it needs to be stated that I'm American too], which is not mathematically accurate but resolves any rounding issues between others).

All in all its a semantics argument, which is like a religious or political argument as far as the internet is concerned. Fun to observe other people fighting over, not worth getting into the quarrel yourself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scifidork
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Its settled: use whatever I want so long as people can understand me. Does anyone else have a question Question
My thoughts about Metric/American: trust us native English-speakers to go against the rest of the world.
Back to top Go down
ambrose-euanthe
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey,

What's the scale of the Felarya map? Or, rather, what's the distance between, say, Negav City and the Giant Tree?

Regarding the units question, I guess a character in Felarya will use whatever they're most used to from their world of origin. Predators... probably learn this objective stuff from their prey, otherwise it'd all be by comparisons (objective systems of measurement coming out of more organised, less individualistic pursuits, like armies and trade). From what I've seen here, Negav probably uses Imperial measurements, just because most authors seem to use that.

Yours,

Ambrose
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm

ambrose-euanthe wrote:
Hey,

What's the scale of the Felarya map? Or, rather, what's the distance between, say, Negav City and the Giant Tree?

Regarding the units question, I guess a character in Felarya will use whatever they're most used to from their world of origin. Predators... probably learn this objective stuff from their prey, otherwise it'd all be by comparisons (objective systems of measurement coming out of more organised, less individualistic pursuits, like armies and trade). From what I've seen here, Negav probably uses Imperial measurements, just because most authors seem to use that.

Yours,

Ambrose

The Felarya map isn't to any kind of scale right now. Its more just to show the approximate locations of things. All we know is that it is very, very vast. It has to be to safely support such a huge ecosystem of giant wildlife, the giant hybrids, and the super-predators that are even bigger than they are. I imagine trips for humans would take days or weeks. It would be a little quicker for the giant preds though, since their size makes them quite a bit faster by comparision. The world is still supposed to be fairly vast for them though. If they're each to have their own territories, it has to be.

Yeah, I think the general consensus is that people from different countries or worlds will use the forms of measurments that they are used to. In trade-hubs, like Negav, there likely is some "official" measurment that is used for trade. The fact that Felarya seems to automatically translate all languages would make establishing that sort of system fairly easy.

As for the Predators...I doubt they would really care about measurments that much. I mean....most predators can't even read or write. They really don't need to measure much of anything. About the only thing they would probably need to measure on a daily basis is the time of day, and that can probably be done by looking at the postion of the sun, or something.

If they need to relay the size of something to another predator, I imagine they would just guesstimate and use comparisons.

I think the heavy use of imperial measurements is because a large chunk of Felarya fans and authors are from the US, and a lot of us just don't have a lot of exposure to the metric system. Its just easier to use units your used to, whether its metric or imperial. If you started using imaginary units, then you would need to explain them, and hope that your readers can remember what it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:43 pm

I approve of the imperial system. Five feet is short, six feet is rather tall, seven feet is OH WOW, ten feet is one story, twenty feet are two stories, thirty feet is like a three-story building, and so on. I actually prefer it to metres, and I grew up worshipping the Parisian platinum bar.

scifidork
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:51 pm

ambrose-euanthe wrote:
Hey,

The map is to whatever scale you want. A scale found for one part of the map would be ridiculous in another. For example: the scale I found for Negav (each pixel is 465 feet to a side) would make Anko's Bridge nearly a mile wide.

I recomend reading around to get ideas about how long it takes to get from point a to point b. If you don't find anything, make it up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is your question already answered?   

Back to top Go down

Is your question already answered?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1