Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Names for Races

Go down 
+4
Karbo
/Fish/
AisuKaiko
Pendragon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

New Names for Races Empty
PostSubject: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 4:53 pm

While on the chat, alot of people were talking and a good point was brought up. Why are slug girls called "Slug Girls"? Most other species have a specific name to identify them. Like, for example, we call Tree Girls "dryads", we call snake girls "nagas", fish girls are called "mermaids", stupid girls are called "Twilight fans", and so on.

I had a suggestion for a new idea for the slug girls. I thought "Molluskoids" might fit. (since it is their genus name)

If you had suggestions for a name for them, or for any races without a particular name for themselves, that would be nice, and if your name is Karbo, then please tell me how you feel about the situation, AKA if you think they do or don't need a name change. It's just a suggestion after all. Thank you.

PS. I don't know if this thread was done before. Sorry if it has.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Iunno, since Slugs are only a very small bit of the mollusk genus. When I think of mollusks, slugs come to mind looong after a wide variety of shellfish do.

EDIT: Oh, as for the idea of changing race names, it'll be problematic when authors and the like have referred to them as their original name for so long.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:10 pm

Well, if that doesn't work, we could also use "Gastroforms".

If not, what other names are there?
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 5:46 pm

'Slug-girl' name is sort of clever/ironic now that they're stated hermaphrodites and it's a misnomer for those who aren't familiar with them being anything but an all-female race.

Otherwise there wouldn't be any real way to justify it.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Well I agree that some races could use a renaming.. sadly there is a major problem : it's the fact the wiki don't accept pages being renamed.. So that would mean deleting the current page, then recreating a new one and changing every previous links to it to match the new one.. It' not a very fun process so I would rather make the change only if the new name was really way better than the previous one and unanimously received too .^^;
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah. The thing is "Dryads" and "Nagas" and "Mermaids" are all already existing terms, as well as being nice sounding names. "Molluskoid" and "Gastroform" are quite unwieldy. Slug Girl is a good, descriptive and catchy name that's been in canon for awhile. Plus, even if they're scientifically known as the other names, everyone is going to keep calling them slug girls. If a guide in Felarya tells his party there are Molluskoids around they'll all be eaten before he's done explaining.

Last edited by Jætte_Troll on Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Oh man, imagine if we made scientific names for all of the races... >___>;

What would nagas be? Homo Serpentes?
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Alright Jaette. No need to be harsh. I did say this was a suggestion.

Geez, sorry if I suggest something to help Felarya out.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Karbo wrote:
Well I agree that some races could use a renaming.. sadly there is a major problem : it's the fact the wiki don't accept pages being renamed.. So that would mean deleting the current page, then recreating a new one and changing every previous links to it to match the new one.. It' not a very fun process so I would rather make the change only if the new name was really way better than the previous one and unanimously received too .^^;

Which races do you think ought to be renamed?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:08 am

on second thoughts, none ^^
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Alright Jaette. No need to be harsh. I did say this was a suggestion.

Geez, sorry if I suggest something to help Felarya out.

I'm not being harsh, I'm stating my opinion on the quality of names. Not everyone is out to get you. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 3:19 pm

Sorry, I just thought your post sounded a bit aggressive. :/
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Sorry, I just thought your post sounded a bit aggressive. :/

I am an evil, aggressive person. I could be actually harsh, if you want. Razz
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 6:28 am

Karbo wrote:

Actually... The wiki does accept pages being renamed, and it's very easy to do so. Just click the "move" tab. It even automatically changes the initial page into a redirect, so you don't have to change any links on other pages.

Having said that, though, slug girls should remain slug girls, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 am

ohh this is very interesting ! o.o
Thank you for the tips Wink
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 11:38 am

French snack wrote:
Karbo wrote:

Actually... The wiki does accept pages being renamed, and it's very easy to do so. Just click the "move" tab. It even automatically changes the initial page into a redirect, so you don't have to change any links on other pages.

Great, and if someone brings a slug girl but looks like a man, what is he gonna call it? Can't call it Slug Boy, that's not the race's name.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
French snack wrote:
Karbo wrote:

Great, and if someone brings a slug girl but looks like a man, what is he gonna call it? Can't call it Slug Boy, that's not the race's name.

.... It is still a Slug Girl. They are hermaphrodites, as we have said, the name being ironic and all members of the species looking female. Even a manly woman is a woman.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Though this is only my opinion, perhaps a middle-ground can be reached on this concept of renaming. Instead of completely renaming a species, perhaps they can have more than one common name. This way the main names aren't changed but at the same time more unique ones could be added as alternative titles.

Also pages wouldn't have to be renamed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Names for Races   New Names for Races Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Names for Races
Page 1 of 1