Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.

Go down 
+17
Moon eyes
FalconJudge
Googlememan
ZionAtriedes
itsmeyouidiot
Karbo
Archmage_Bael
spike833
Jætte_Troll
Pendragon
Shady Knight
Jew
/Fish/
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
Doomguy
dlausactor6373
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
dlausactor6373
Great warrior
Great warrior
dlausactor6373

Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Empty
PostSubject: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Guess what:

4Kids has to sell their company!

That's right! The greedy bastards that brought us God-awful dubs of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, CardCaptor Sakura, and Sonic X is losing millions and millions of dollars, so they may have to sell the company! Here's hoping they get picked up by a company like Funimation, so that their long streak of censorship and absolute suckage might finally come to an end!

EDIT: To be fair, the Pokemon dub wasn't that bad, but it was still bad.

Last edited by dlausactor6373 on Sat May 15, 2010 10:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Doomguy
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Doomguy

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 9:30 pm

dlausactor6373 wrote:
Guess what:

4Kids has to sell their company!

That's right! The greedy bastards that brought us God-awful dubs of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Sonic X is losing millions and millions of dollars, so they may have to sell the company! Here's hoping they get picked up by a company like Funimation, so that finally their long streak of censorship and absolute suckage might finally come to an end!

Aww man, I totally remember seeing there logo before every Pokemon episode back in '98. Kind of nostalgic, in a really depressing way.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Now who will Yugioh abridged make fun of?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 10:51 pm

I can not tell you how happy I am. Seriously, this news is amazingly awesome to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 11:21 pm

4kids completely turned me off to One Piece as they presented it, which later I picked up in its un-mutilated form and loved.

If all it's capable of is systematically ruining the materials it gets rights to and strip anything recognizable of a different culture (4kids hates riceballs ) they deserve to fail IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 11:44 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
4kids completely turned me off to One Piece as they presented it, which later I picked up in its un-mutilated form and loved.

If all it's capable of is systematically ruining the materials it gets rights to and strip anything recognizable of a different culture (4kids hates riceballs ) they deserve to fail IMHO.
I am so glad that I never saw that donut thing in the pokemon anime. It would have ruined it forever.
Anyway, death to 4kids. Their defilement of anime must come to an end.
Back to top Go down
Jew
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Jew

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 7:02 am

TBH I think most of 4kids hatedom comes from weeaboo adults and/or fans of YGO abridged. (Not that YGO abridged isn't awesome) I mean sure, plenty of the voices they gave the characters were shit, but have you actually listened to the PURE ALMIGHTY ORIGINAL VERSION voices of Pokemon or whatever, they're just as screechy and annoying. And I don't see much wrong with changing a couple of jokes if people of different cultures would have no fucking idea what they meant, I seriously doubt Japanese people think it's cool to Google stuff they saw in South Park so they could pretend they 'got it.' Cultural in-jokes are all well and good, but it isn't funny if you have to pause your stupid fansub and read some subbers note explaining why it's funny.

And the rice ball into donuts shit is because apparently some American kids don't even know or recognise what a fucking plum or eggplant is, so I doubt they'd have a chance in hell of knowing what the things anime characters eat all the time are. Unless the show went out of its way to explain that, and that would probably make it suck balls. And if it did that you'd probably just say they were trying too hard anyway.

TL;DR 4kids shows are kid’s shows for children, not manchildren, and until I hear an actual unbiased child tell me they are offended by a TV corporations dub of the next season of Naruto or whatever, I won't give half a shit about what 4kids does to your precious foreign kids shows.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Jew on Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 7:15 am

Jew wrote:
Spoiler:
Lulz:
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 7:47 am

Wait, they made a dub of Cardcaptor Sakura? I don't remember that. I thought it never recieved an official english dub. Oh well, at least the French dub was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 7:49 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Wait, they made a dub of Cardcaptor Sakura? I don't remember that. I thought it never recieved an official english dub. Oh well, at least the French dub was pretty good.
Nah, it did. I remember seeing it on TV way back when.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 9:32 am

So after all this time we'll know how Ash got all those Tauros.

It's abuot time. Good to see 4kids finally hemorhhaging under their own weight.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 12:35 pm

/Fish/ wrote:

Yeah, the worst mutilation of anything I've ever seen is the way they did One Piece. I'm glad I finally watched it in a non-defaced format as well and realized it was actually a decent anime.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
spike833
Marauder of the deep jungle
spike833

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 8:34 am

Whoohoo!
Justice is Served!
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 12:04 pm

the newer dubs of pokemon are terrible. the old seasons are pretty good with the original voice overs of ash, misty, and everyone else.

funimation sucks, too, but in a different way than 4kids.
Back to top Go down
dlausactor6373
Great warrior
Great warrior
dlausactor6373

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist was a great dub. So was Dragonball Z.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:18 pm

dlausactor6373 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist was a great dub.
I still MUCH prefer the subs.
Back to top Go down
spike833
spike833

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:

Pretty much goes for just about any foreign production.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:57 pm

It's a good new I think.
I mean compare their version of One piece and the original one... it was so censored / changed it was totally ridiculous Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 3:21 pm

G-Man1989 wrote:
Anime-Junkie wrote:

Pretty much goes for just about any foreign production.

Jesus Christ, are you trying to start a flame war?

Anyway, it kinda bugs me when people hate on 4kids. Granted, some of the stuff they do is pretty bad.

But for god's sake people, they're called 4kids. As in, for kids. You know, young people with lower standards? Removing references to Japanese culture is something done to prevent kids from feeling alienated from their favorite shows, simple as that. It's not meant as an affront to Japanese culture. And censorship is arguably a good thing, since American parents in general are less tolerant of violence and suggestive material in their kid's shows than Japanese parents are. They're not trying to ruin the work, they're trying to make sure it's not pulled off the air due to angry parents.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Mm, I agree with the statement above. I mean, one can argue that some shounen anime was treated like shikai, but in the end, it's only because the "experts" figured that animated programming wouldn't appeal to American teens like it did to Japanese teens. I mean, you have to admit: anime fans above the age of twelve are much more of a minority here than over in the Land of the Rising Sun. I'm not saying that the dubs didn't obscenely censor decent anime, I'm just trying to convince people to see the reasoning behind it. But really: did you really need to censor guns when you're airing a show about stealing people's souls and sending them to the Shadow Realm, which is basically Hell? And then you've got Mai "Hooters McSlut" Valentine showing her cleavage willy-nilly? I mean, are guns really that bad? Or cigarettes, for that matter?

Also, as for FMA: I actually preferred the dub. I dunno, it didn't seem right for people in a country modeled after Nazi Germany to be speaking Japanese. Why English sat better with me, I dunno. Maybe it's me being uncharacteristically ethnocentric. Plus, it always unnerved me that Ed's Japanese voice was Naruto's Japanese voice.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 4:15 pm

itsmeyouidiot wrote:
They're not trying to ruin the work, they're trying to make sure it's not pulled off the air due to angry parents.

Not good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 5:20 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
itsmeyouidiot wrote:
They're not trying to ruin the work, they're trying to make sure it's not pulled off the air due to angry parents.

Not good enough for me.

Keep in mind, they censored Shaman King, and it still caught flak from angry parents.
Back to top Go down
Jew
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Jew

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 8:09 pm

itsmeyouidiot wrote:
But for god's sake people, they're called 4kids. As in, for kids. You know, young people with lower standards? Removing references to Japanese culture is something done to prevent kids from feeling alienated from their favorite shows, simple as that. It's not meant as an affront to Japanese culture. And censorship is arguably a good thing, since American parents in general are less tolerant of violence and suggestive material in their kid's shows than Japanese parents are. They're not trying to ruin the work, they're trying to make sure it's not pulled off the air due to angry parents.

This man is correct. Seriously, people who think that 4kids is the spawn of satan and everything they do is awesome need to find something worthwhile to get mad about. Come on guys, if 4kids didn't 'fix' the shows for American Audiences you never would have seen Pokemon, or even gotten into anime in the first place because parents and the people in charge of censorship (not 4kids, BTW) never would have let it fly. And I don't know a single person, IRL or on the internet, who thought Pokemon was a shitty dub, at least when it came out.

If you're celebrating the fact that the company might be in trouble at the moment, you're basically celebrating shows being take away from little children. If you don't like the versions, just respect that other people (AKA, the target Audience and their Moms) do like it. I mean, I hate Super Hero Squad and think it shits all over the characters 90% of the time, but I'd hate to have it cancelled because A) kids think its awesome and B) it gets them into Marvel's awesome characters.

No-one is forcing you to watch BAKA GAIJIN 4KIDS version of One-Piece-Of-Crap, if you hate it so much just download it like everyone else.

Last edited by Jew on Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Googlememan
Survivor
Survivor
Googlememan

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 6:01 am

Jew wrote:

No-one is forcing you to watch BAKA GAIJIN 4KIDS version of One-Piece-Of-Crap, if you hate it so much just download it like everyone else.

Agreed
Back to top Go down
http://DecepticonBarricade.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 6:13 am

Jew wrote:
if you hate it so much just download it like everyone else.
Australian internet sucks. No way is that happening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.   Karma's a bitch, 4Kids. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Karma's a bitch, 4Kids.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: Off topic discussion-
Jump to: