Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas

Go down 
+29
Gamma
jedi-explorer
Grave
DarkOne
Sigurd
Darth_Nergal
asaenvolk
Stabs
Ilceren
Gabriel115
Nyaha
parameciumkid
keroko
FalconJudge
TheArchvile
Sehoolighan
Black Aquila
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
MrNobody13
Oldman40k2003
Slimetoad
Jasconius
Pendragon
Feadraug
Warrior3000
Karbo
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Empty
PostSubject: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey all, I've been getting a zillion ideas floating through my brain recently, so I'll post everything here so I don't jump all over the forum. Any feedback of any sort is welcome.

This spell has a psionic base. what it does is connect the mind to the body to the soul more efficiently, so spells cast from the soul and the body are channeled through the mind first, which acts as a conduit to cast magic. Since it uses the mind, body, and soul to cast magic, it eats up a lot more stamina or mana than one might have, and the connection eats away at the life energy of the user. If the person is from a universe other than felarya it can be mortally wounding, because it eats away at the purest form of one's life energy. If the the user comes from a world where his life would average of 80 years then he would only have 80 years worth life energy. However, to someone who is naturally ageless, this spell would hardly do anything to them because of that. The more of your life energy you spend, the older the physical appearance of the user would be, meaning it is one of the only ways to physically age one's body.

The application works towards this: say if you were in menyssan's stomach, or a diamond naga's stomach, and you knew this spell, it would let you channel your life and use it as magic because the spell's base is not magic, but psionic.

Bubble Weed (name ideas?)

This plant is actually a tiny little weed that lives in deep underwater locations. The weed absorbs water more efficiently than most other plants, and upon getting too water-logged it will export the water in the form of a hardening sphere that slowly grows around the plant. Inside the bubble between the plant and the hardened water sphere remains air that has healing properties. If left alone, several groups of this weed can grow to create giant layers of hundreds of hardened bubbles that shimmer and glow underwater. Predators and anyone swimming near them can eat a bubble off the top of the "crystalization" to heal themselves quickly. This technique can help avoid large sharks, or creatures that take the scent of blood to find their prey.

Ascarlin Crab (okay, name ideas seriously welcome for this one.)

This crab dwells in the mountain sides and cliff edges near the water, or in deep underwater caverns such as the underwater rivers of the myriad zone. They are attracted to areas that have concentrations of ascarlin, and reproduce only in those areas. The essence of the ascarlin in the surrounding rocks helps imbue their shell with the crystals somehow. As a result, large ascarlin crystal line the back of this creature, and it can use it to impale from it's backside. This creature can grow to be over 50 ft, and is extremely muscular. Despite it's size, with it's massive pincers it even gives mermaids a hard time. Harvesting this ascarlin off the creature requires to kill it first, which most often doesn't happen.

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 5:06 am

So... Channel Life is cast from HP? How can its base be Psionic? Psionics are psychic powers, not magic. It's similar, but your explanation make it sound like any spell like a mind control spell counts as a psionic, when really, it's just a mind control spell. This needs revision.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
So... Channel Life is cast from HP? How can its base be Psionic? Psionics are psychic powers, not magic. It's similar, but your explanation make it sound like any spell like a mind control spell counts as a psionic, when really, it's just a mind control spell. This needs revision.

it is from the mind. it's a psychic spell that brings the mind, body, and soul together, and then eats away HP to cast spells instead of using mana.

read it more carefully.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 am

I did, but you see, a Psionic doesn't use mana, unless it also specializes in magic, their "spells" comes from concentrating their mind into another person's mind. I quote from the wiki:
Quote :
Often mistaken with magic, psionic powers are more of a special ability, and don't actually draw on magical energies.
Mana is used as magical energy a mage use to cast a spell. A psionic does not use magic, but uses one's mind. So in other words, your Channel Life isn't a Psionic, it's just a spell that uses one's vitality instead of mana.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I did, but you see, a Psionic doesn't use mana, unless it also specializes in magic, their "spells" comes from concentrating their mind into another person's mind. I quote from the wiki:
Quote :
Often mistaken with magic, psionic powers are more of a special ability, and don't actually draw on magical energies.
Mana is used as magical energy a mage use to cast a spell. A psionic does not use magic, but uses one's mind. So in other words, your Channel Life isn't a Psionic, it's just a spell that uses one's vitality instead of mana.

um...yeah. the whole point is to avoid using mana. =/

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 am

You can't call it a Psionic base. Just call it a spell that taps into one's vitality instead. Or call it a special ability.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am

You mean because it uses psychic powers to channel the soul and the body? That's a part of psychic/mental magic too.

Anyway, I'm curious about what other people think too. About any of my ideas. I got more coming soon.

Quote :
Psionics can be described as the power to affect things through ones mind. Telekinesis or telepathy are examples of such.

which means the ability to open a "connection" between the mind, body, and soul would count as well, because the base of that would require the use of the mind. AFTER that, the next step would be accessing the life energy that would flow through the body more regularly. It's a mutli-step, very complicated spell, but the first step is psionic based.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:24 pm

But that means only someone with Psychic powers can do that. It says Psionic is MISTAKEN for magic, thus it's NOT magic. Your mental thing means that someone is using magic to affect ones mind. Therefore, it's not psychic powers because magic is involved.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
But that means only someone with Psychic powers can do that. It says Psionic is MISTAKEN for magic, thus it's NOT magic. Your mental thing means that someone is using magic to affect ones mind. Therefore, it's not psychic powers because magic is involved.

let me break it down for you:

step 1: Psionic connection of the mind, connect to the body, and connect to the soul, thus creating a spiritual loop which will open access to life energy(like a buddhist monk meditating, connecting their body mind and soul).

-(this spell can also be used to find out how much life you have left. if you're paralyzed on the ground and bleeding out you can find out how long you have left to live by measuring how much life energy you have left. last minute thing I realized)

step 2: now that access to your life energy has been granted, one may now use the life energy to cast the spell one desires.

This is just a way to access your life energy.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Well then just don't say it's a psionic base, say it's opening a connection with the mind, body and soul like a trance.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:58 pm

well now that you know, what do you think of it, or any of my other ideas?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm

It's okay.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:33 am

hehe I'm going to follow that thread closely ^^

Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 am

I edited their names, tell me what you think, I'm currently revising a couple new ideas, probably post them later today If I'm not too upset.
Back to top Go down
Warrior3000
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Warrior3000

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 4:09 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Bubble Weed (name ideas?)

This plant is actually a tiny little weed that lives in deep underwater locations. The weed absorbs water more efficiently than most other plants, and upon getting too water-logged it will export the water in the form of a hardening sphere that slowly grows around the plant. Inside the bubble between the plant and the hardened water sphere remains air that has healing properties. If left alone, several groups of this weed can grow to create giant layers of hundreds of hardened bubbles that shimmer and glow underwater. Predators and anyone swimming near them can eat a bubble off the top of the "crystalization" to heal themselves quickly. This technique can help avoid large sharks, or creatures that take the scent of blood to find their prey.

Wat.

Alright, to begin you state this;

Bael_The_Archmage wrote:
This plant is actually a tiny little weed that lives in deep underwater locations

While this complaint may seem a bit petty I must say that a weed is a plant, mate, so saying "This plant is actually a tiny little weed" sounds somewhat odd and seems redundant.

Furthermore we have this;

Archmage_WhateveritwasIforgot wrote:
upon getting too water-logged it will export the water in the form of a hardening sphere that slowly grows around the plant. Inside the bubble between the plant and the hardened water sphere remains air that has healing propertie

Okay, you state that the plant lives underwater, correct? Then the question arises as to how to actively "exports" water in such a way as to form a sphere without said excess water joining in with the surrounding water and flowing off ineffectively. And while we have that idea rolling around how can said water even harden, much less form and retain a spherical shape? And lastly, you say that the air remaining between the plant and the outside of the bubble thing would have healing properties? Well....if the plant is underwater then where is there space for air to be around it? If it were to somehow form a bubble in spite of the aforementioned problems the space within would be taken up by water,and I'm unsure of how that would work for your healing properties thing there....

Oh, and all these complaints need only apply ASSUMING that this thing can even get water logged in the first place, which, seeing as it lives underwater, I don't believe makes any sense.

Onto this though;

Does_Anyone_notice_Im_Changing_These_quotes? wrote:
Ascarlin Fish (okay, name ideas seriously welcome for this one.)

This fish dwells in the mountain sides and cliff edges near the water, or in deep underwater caverns such as the underwater rivers of the myriad zone. They are attracted to areas that have concentrations of ascarlin, and as such, will pull off a chunk of the wall with ascarlin essence in it, and use it as a shell. As a result, large ascarlin crystal line the back of this creature, and it can use it like the needles of a porcupine. This creature can grow to be over 50 ft, and is extremely muscular. Despite it's size, it is known to even give mermaids a hard time. Harvesting this ascarlin off the creature requires to kill it first, which most often doesn't happen.

Here's what I find wrong with this;

Fuck,Im_really_bored_if_I_keep_doing_this wrote:
This creature can grow to be over 50 ft, and is extremely muscular. Despite it's size, it is known to even give mermaids a hard time. Harvesting this ascarlin off the creature requires to kill it first, which most often doesn't happen.

>50ft long
>Muscular
>"Despite its it's known to even give mermaids a hard time"

Wait...WHAT.

What this implies is that a relatively huge, toned creature wouldn't normally pose a threat to such a thing as a mermaid, and that this fish is some sort of exception to this general trend. That's where I call shenanigans, bro. Not all mermaids are big as an Xbox and such. I do realize Karbo stated that there aren't any humanoid sized ones, but that doesn't immediately correlate to them all being mountain sized.

As far as the ascarlin thing though, man. I have to say, I'm baffled.

You say that they pull of a chunk of rock with Ascarlin essence in it to use for a shell. My question is; HOW? Do they bite it off or do they simply have arms? In the later case they wouldn't even be fish, but I suppose they wouldn't really be fish regardless due to the fact that supposedly they have shells, and I'm thinking that'd make them a crustacean or whatever blanket term is used for shelled sea-life. And even if they could in theory obtain rock with Ascarlin (Which isn't an essence anyways, It's mineral, so you know), what then? Do they systematically pick out the stuff or do they eat the whole rock and their system filters it? Lastly, my grandest question of all; What if there is simply no Ascarlin to be had? Do they actively seek it out or would it just go naked? You really should look into elaborating these sorts of things or else in all cases I will assume the worst :V

As for the spell thing Im no expert when it comes to magic and such, so I unno.

Last edited by Warrior3000 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:20 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : >Implying I need a reason to edit my posts)
Back to top Go down
http://w-3-k.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:19 am

thanks. In short...

The roots of the plant can still get water.

As for the "fish" yes I believe I should change that to more of a crab like creature. would make more sense. I'll edit it later though, I have a final in like an hour.

Still, when I asked for comments, I didn't mean people to come in cussing. Your help is appreciated all the same though.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I lost the file containing all my ideas, so these are going to be roughly under developed.

Elemental Grass

This particular grass has the tendancy to reflect whatever environment it's in. In arctic environments the grass will look like sharp blades of ice. In the desert the grass will seems to mimick the granules of sand. The grass is often useful in that when nearby, the adventurer will know that that the ground around it is anything but fragile or shifting, as the plant grows in sturdy areas away from quicksand or thin ice. However, this plant grows in small patches, and trying to follow them through terrain will often end up misleading the individual. Of course tundra and desert areas aren't the only places where this plant will pop up, as it has many forms...

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Deceptor Eagle

The most important thing about this creature is that it's not actually sentient. The cries it makes mimick a crying speech pattern and so give the illusion that it's a poor helpless creature, and uses that to it's advantage. It has some kind of influential magic property that makes it far easier to believe. There are massive gliding wings (that is, the wings are specifically designed to glide, not flap) on it's back, and what looks like the torso of a feathery human half, but has the head of a eagle. It's body has a lot of decorative colors that can vary between the individual. Heights can get from 10 ft to 25 ft long depending on gender and natural growth. Males tend to be bigger.

name: (kinda obvious if you read it Razz )

Legends tell of an epic naga race which have glowing gold scales. These scales are more valuable than any other kind of pred-related body part. They are more physically more durable and dense, making it hard to tire them out, or damage them. For some reason they are loners to the extreme, and only a small family or two will be found in a random location like mountains, or wherever they choose to live. Some locals who see them often worship them as benefactors and gods. Of course, these nagas love to fill that role out of boredom. As such, they are rarely threatening to humans.

so yeah I haven't posted here in a while, but I was just fooling around with the xel'naga race. I hope people respond to this entry and the one above it.

Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 1:30 am

hehe messing with starcraft elements is always fun lol!
and sorry you lost that file.. I truly hate when that happens T_T
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Dimensional Pocket Storms (name pending, acronym is "DPS" though, lol)

Due to the fluctuating dimensional lands that occupy felarya, sometimes a large buildup of energy will cause a warble in the dimensional space of the areas around it, and create storms. The weird thing is that the more demensionally unstable an area is, the less they will experience the storms themsevles, as they tend to emanate from it as a wave, or a dispersion system of some kind. Theories have been made, but there is nothing conclusive. These storms will warp the area, temporarily expanding the dimensional threashold of how large things can grow, or how colorful they will become. People who have been caught in these storms have been known to experience weird effects.

This idea is something based off the comment I left in the Great Tree height thread. Wanted to jot this down before I forgot it.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am

I like that idea. In a stable place, there is an attempt at a connection with a dimension. But because of interferences, because the zone is stable, it causes a storm and hilarity ensues. Hopefully. Still, quite a lot of typos.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 4:45 am

I find that idea very interesting Smile
do you have some examples of some of the effects you think could result from it ? ^^
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I like that idea. Hopefully. Still, quite a lot of typos.

grrrr....typos are my bane. Very Mad

Karbo wrote:
I find that idea very interesting :Smile:
do you have some examples of some of the effects you think could result from it ? ^^

well I could imagine a temporary phasing effect, like your arm looks pale, and somewhat discombobulated.

A dimensional spell could be boosted in power temporarily

Also, increase in height would be an effect, like the trees in the surrounding area would grow another few feet. The longer the tree is around the larger it could become.

Maybe to someone else, a person's face could look pale, or mixed up, maybe an eye would change a different color, or hair. Mutations of various kinds would be included, but since there's no real disease in felarya I can't think of any that this would cause.

...except maybe it's like an over-exposure problem and for the next while you become REALLY sensitive to magic of any kind.

Since it's a dimensional problem, effects like getting temporarily dragged into the dimension of lets say...a vortex tiger? That could be an additional problem. It would last until the storm blows over though, so it wouldn't be permanent.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Sounds interesting. And so do its effects. The thing is that, for now, it looked limited to size and colors, but I think that it should affect more boundaries in the dimensions it reaches, like you've pointed out with the temporary warping to another location or becoming more sensitive to magic. I guess this leaves room for many possibilities, taking in account of how the word 'dimension' can be used. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm

yes, I can imagine this being applicable to many problems/issues with people other than colors and size. I was hoping that it would play service to many boundaries on many levels because of the "dimensional" part of the storm. I think I said that right...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next