Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas

Go down 
+29
Gamma
jedi-explorer
Grave
DarkOne
Sigurd
Darth_Nergal
asaenvolk
Stabs
Ilceren
Gabriel115
Nyaha
parameciumkid
keroko
FalconJudge
TheArchvile
Sehoolighan
Black Aquila
Anime-Junkie
Jætte_Troll
MrNobody13
Oldman40k2003
Slimetoad
Jasconius
Pendragon
Feadraug
Warrior3000
Karbo
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 5:19 pm

Well, let me start off by saying, as I said in my PM, that I have a lot of trouble reading this. Now, I don't want to criticize just yet - it could just be me who has the problem, so bear with me, and be sure to get a second opinion on everything I say. ^^;

"originating from and promoting life as the basis and core of it,"
- This part of the sentence just doesn't flow to me, and I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say. It does become clear after reading through the rest of the article, but that's no reason to be sloppy, right?

"and belief in the spirits of life toward any sort of understanding from fairy to fairy can be different"
- This part also confuses me as to the content of your words. I think you might also be missing the word "varies" in there, too?

"Some of them even avoid choosing one conception of Deity, since it is unknowable even to their minds."
- The way you use the word "deity" to describe a being first, and then use it to describe a concept, though understandable as the word has two meanings, is still somewhat confusing.

"where the Progenitor of Felarya is most verdant,"
- What??? "Progenitor" means "A person or thing from which a person, animal, or plant is descended or originates; an ancestor or parent." I don't know what you're referring to with this, nor how it can be described as ("verdant" meaning:) "Of the bright green color of lush grass". Right now, to me, the section seems to be you stating, in a very roundabout way, that there is amazingly lush vegetation and plant growth in this place? But I'm not entirely sure, and I think that in itself suggests a problem in the writing.

"no single one of them has the concept on truth"
- A somewhat-awkwardly-worded way of saying each of them knows that what they believe in isn't necessarily true?

The paragraph on Lydus is pretty clear. I'll admit I had a little trouble at the beginning, because, to my literal self, it almost seems like you're stating a general fact about Lydus rather than just what the fairies believe it is, but I think I can assume due to the rest of that section and the topic of the article as a whole that you are talking about it in regards to the latter.

"Each contain virtues that are taught to be wise, creative, and loving."
- Sounds somewhat redundant compared against the sentence preceding it.

Now, for the idea as a whole (or at least what my brain could understand of it), I agree that it seems like a religion that really does best befit fairies. If you want rituals, maybe you might consider some sort of spirit-related game? We all know how fairies like games. Oooh, like some sort of deity bingo or something! Very Happy Okay maybe not the best idea, but it's a start, right? Anyway, I might be able to provide more feedback once you clear up all the above confusions for me, and maybe clean up your writing somewhat. ^^;

And finally, I'd suggest not writing these up when you're so...inhibited. I'd suggest, if it helps, writing your ideas one section at a time, on Word or Notepad or GoogleDocs, that way you're not cramming everything together at the last minute-like. I'm sure you'll be able to see the difference. ;D
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I think this is a good idea, even chaotic beings have a set of values and beliefs, it's just that there are alien to ours. so fairies having some form of beliefs does make sense.

Also it makes sense that faries value diversity, considering how many different speices of faries there are.

Mabye a bit more decription for Lydus? Perhaps more on what Faries can expect to find there when they cross over?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 7:17 pm

@Darth_Nergal: yes, I believe Dridders should get a religion too. They have arts, architecture, metalworking, and other things, but no religion. Which is rather surprising, actually.

I suppose the "afterlife" would be different, and actually its possible that they'd just go to the Felarya-Associated Heaven anyway. This would be stating that Heaven is within Lydus, which is obvious.

Lydus can be found here http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lydus

@Neko214: Right those examples weren't the best I recognize that - but at least it doesn't damage the idea itself really. It's also amazing because having your own god, or not, still is legitimate within their religion.

@Nyaha:
-you're missing some context. originating from refers to the religion originating from life itself, since the religion is all about life and nature. it's cyclical that way I suppose.

-not really. once again, this is still working with the idea that fairies can be monotheistic, polytheistic, pantheistic, or whatever. Spirits and deities are synonyms in this case. Also, "different" and "varied" are close in definition I think.

-The concept of Deity being just the overall idea of it, whatever the fairy chooses to believe. Once again monotheistic, polytheistic, etc. Not specifically nature or a being. Both would fit within any idea of Deity.

-This was the thing I had the hardest time with. A progenitor is that which all things are descended, and instead of believing that an asteroid carried life with it, or any particular thing or being is responsible for it, think of Felarya as a being in itself, and life sprouted forth from it. Felarya itself is the progenitor in that case. Everything within Felarya is a part of that greater whole. The temple was built within one of the most beautiful and verdant places within Felarya, which is what I meant by saying it was built in a place where it was most verdant. Make sense? Its hard to describe.

-I mean simply no one knows what the truth really is. So yes.

-Redundant? Not at all. There's life, and then there's the different aspects of it, like how a person made up of their personality. Three main aspects of life are Wisdom, Creativity, and Love.

@DarkOne: Yes exactly. As I linked earlier for Lydus you can read it there. I thought it was about time for a Fairy religion anyway. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks for your input everyone!
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:19 pm

I could be wrong, but somehow I feel like you might be ignoring, or missing the point, of what a lot of my feedback was trying to tell you. You chose to describe what each part of what I picked out means, rather than stating an acceptance that your wording or grammar might be off and correcting it. As it stands, some of what you had been trying to say has bee cleared up for me, which is good, but now you should look at your idea and see if you need to take those explanations and work them in so it's more comprehensible, I think.

However...

Quote :
"-you're missing some context. originating from refers to the religion originating from life itself, since the religion is all about life and nature. it's cyclical that way I suppose."
You didn't tell me what part of my feedback you're referring to. What am I missing context from?

Quote :
"not really. once again, this is still working with the idea that fairies can be monotheistic, polytheistic, pantheistic, or whatever. Spirits and deities are synonyms in this case. Also, "different" and "varied" are close in definition I think."
Again you didn't state what this is a reply to ("not really" what? Also, when did I ever talk about spirits?), so it was hard to figure out, so again I don't know what it is you're saying here. I think my original point was that the sentence in the idea doesn't flow well.

Quote :
This was the thing I had the hardest time with. A progenitor is that which all things are descended, and instead of believing that an asteroid carried life with it, or any particular thing or being is responsible for it, think of Felarya as a being in itself, and life sprouted forth from it. Felarya itself is the progenitor in that case. Everything within Felarya is a part of that greater whole. The temple was built within one of the most beautiful and verdant places within Felarya, which is what I meant by saying it was built in a place where it was most verdant. Make sense? Its hard to describe.
I think then you need to state that more clearly in the article. "where the Progenitor of Felarya is most verdant" doesn't make any sense towards what it is you're actually trying to say. Try something along the lines of, "The flora in and around the temple is very lush, and the area is believed to be close to the progenitor of all life on Felarya" or something like that.

Quote :
-Redundant? Not at all. There's life, and then there's the different aspects of it, like how a person made up of their personality. Three main aspects of life are Wisdom, Creativity, and Love.
I got that the first time. What I mean is the sentence is grammatically redundant. Rather than saying the same words over a second time, but in a different way, I think it would flow better if you perhaps gave examples of some ideas that fairies are taught in order to fulfill these aspects.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 1:44 pm

See: Druidism.

Anyway, I'm just explaining the reasons why what you're trying to say isn't really...well I dunno, you say what I'm talking about is confusing, and I say the same about what you're saying. I know you're looking for details, but you're going overboard. Anyway, each of the "-" or "dashes" respond to the one of yours. The top dash of mine refers to the top dash of yours, I thought that was obvious. You have so many points I had to address it that way instead of a jumbled up paragraph. So now you know.

As for the progenitor thing, I believe I edited it to reflect that, but if I didn't I will try and make it more clear.

For the aspects part, I'm having trouble with the examples...I can't find good ones. Though fairy ideas that are taught? That's like...you realize what you're asking for right? XD FAIRY IDEAS. mind=overloaded.

A lot of your comments revolve around redundancies or lack of information I believe I've already taken care of, so I think its more of a reading issue.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

I guess it's just me and my literal brain then. ^^; I'm sorry to say it, but I think just the way you write things frustrates my brain, and because it confuses me, even for a moment, I think there must be something wrong with the way it's written. I can't force you to conform to the way I would word things, though; such would go against my beliefs in diversity (much like the fairies, huh? ^.^), but even so, it will likely hinder my ability to give you useful feedback on future ideas. Which sucks.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 pm

Well yeah I suppose, but it seems like everyone else understood it...maybe ask them if you're confused?
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 pm

I think right now I get the parts that I was confused about. Like I said, I thought the fact that I was confused in the first place meant it was poorly written, but I can admit when I'm wrong. Smile Like I said, my mind is rather literal.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

Well, let's make it worth your while then.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
It is rather free of dogma and any fixed beliefs or practices. Fairies do not have sacred texts beyond that which is the development of of life, and the religion's history. However, it is very much a spiritual path, and belief in the spirits of life toward any sort of understanding from fairy to fairy can be different. Groups of Fairies understand deities (or commonly called "spirits" by them) in different ways, being that there may be one or several, or that they are the deities, or that they exist in various objects within nature. Some of them even avoid choosing one conception of Deity, since it is unknowable even to their minds.
I know how much you like anime. Shinto might be a lot more analogy-friendly than something that's wrapped in secrecy on purpose, you might want to look into it.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
The concepts of deity are each represented by head priests within their legendary "Temple of Nasara" which is so old, it is said to date back close to the creation of Felarya itself, situated in the Fairy Kingdom. It is the a place where the Progenitor of Felarya is most verdant, as creation of the Dryads and all other life is commonly seen as a being that is Felarya herself, not any single creature within Felarya.
What exactly do those priests do to represent the concept of deity? And why is it you leave the Progenitor implicit? That was the first thing we're certain about according to your article- if you're mentioning this verdant progenitor who is central to their beliefs, then you could've described this progenitor a bit more.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Fairies all agree regardless of deity that no single one of them has the concept on truth, and will all gather together to celebrate among each other happily. Each one of them is part of the greater whole, each one unique in creation - diversity which is encouraged and understood as natural and healthy. This willingness to accept one another makes infighting among families and tribes exceedingly rare.
No single one of who? No deity, regardless of which one has the concept on truth, or no fairy, regardless of deity, has the concept of truth? Or both?

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Needless to say, nature itself is extremely important for their religion.
Due to the Verdant Progenitor, I assume.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Likewise death itself is held to the belief that the soul undergoes a series of reincarnations. Thus when a fairy dies, fairies try to celebrate the soul going through a time of birth despite ceasing to live in her form with her friends and family. If one dies in Felarya, they are born again in Lydus, and dying in Lydus rebirths them in Felarya. Fairies are okay and accepting of the natural course of life because of this - including being eaten. This does not mean they like it happening to themselves, this means they accept it more readily than any other species. It also supports their view of life and their own thought process involving friends and food.
... Well, while there's nothing new to reincarnation, I don't think the cyclical one's been done 'fore.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Diversity and Nature are key parts of life, but there exist for Fairies three main aspects of it that are recognized by all. These concepts are Wisdom, Creativity, and Love. Each contain virtues that are taught to be wise, creative, and loving. In addition, each of these concepts are always taught to young fairy children. This is maintained to be separate from their personality though. Warriors might favor Wisdom whereas a Scholar might favor Creativity, and Healers favor Love.
Thought there was no one owning truth. So... you say... aside from the Verdant Progenitor, the other thing that is general to fairies is their belief in three guiding virtues? Like Plato's Republic, supported by the courage in warriors, the nobility in governors, and the strength in slaves... or like the elements of Friendship in MLP?

Here's to hoping something about this reply will be of some use.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Stabs wrote:
Well, let's make it worth your while then.

I know how much you like anime. Shinto might be a lot more analogy-friendly than something that's wrapped in secrecy on purpose, you might want to look into it.
I know what you're getting at, but I honestly cant see fairies as buddhists. -on an awkwardly related note, that "buddhists" is underlined in red here, it thinks there's no such thing, and the closest thing I'm trying to say is "nudists".

Stabs wrote:
What exactly do those priests do to represent the concept of deity? And why is it you leave the Progenitor implicit? That was the first thing we're certain about according to your article- if you're mentioning this verdant progenitor who is central to their beliefs, then you could've described this progenitor a bit more.

Represent the concept of Deity? You mean like wear a garb and preach the gospel? Remember there is no gospel, so they'd largely just be wise councelors, or in Temi's case, a great healer, but I'm not sure if she's religious or not. They'd also organize the gatherings and such as well. These priests would just be the most knowledgeable, presumably kindhearted people interested in helping others, listening to their problems and such. Not a priest in the way we'd normally understand it. However as "priest" and all related notes specifically refer to ordained ministers (using a synonym to define itself. bad job, google), there's no good substitute for a word.

Stabs wrote:
No single one of who? No deity, regardless of which one has the concept on truth, or no fairy, regardless of deity, has the concept of truth? Or both?
I believe based on the way their religion works "both" would be the correct answer, yes.

Stabs wrote:
Due to the Verdant Progenitor, I assume.
Yes and no. A good way to think of it is to think of the Holy Trinity in Christianity, all separate beings, yet one person. It's similar here, as Felarya could be seen as a person as well, and the nature within it didn't come from an asteroid, because Felarya has always "been". Progenitor is a bad word for this case, but I can't think of another one at the moment. That was the "yes", the "no" is that they simply just worship nature, and aside from Dryads I'd say they're the most in touch with it.

I might rework that progenitor bit, and just say that the temple was built on an area that's legendary for its natural beauty, and that if there ever were anything or anybody that life in Felarya sprouted forth from, it'd be there in that part of the Fairy Kingdom. That might work better. It'd probably give the same idea without the use of the word "progenitor", because I think its making people think that nature itself is descended from someone, which is probably confusing **** out of people. If that's indeed what's happening.

Stabs wrote:
... Well, while there's nothing new to reincarnation, I don't think the cyclical one's been done 'fore.
Oh, so you like that? Very Happy

Stabs wrote:
Thought there was no one owning truth. So... you say... aside from the Verdant Progenitor, the other thing that is general to fairies is their belief in three guiding virtues? Like Plato's Republic, supported by the courage in warriors, the nobility in governors, and the strength in slaves... or like the elements of Friendship in MLP?
Well, I guess those are crude examples, since those all have to do with society, and Fairies focus theirs on aspects of nature, not on the nature of themselves...but yes that IS the general idea there. Doesn't mean its going to make fairies any less playful. *shudder* what a fairy thinks of as "fun" some times worries me...

You did help, thank you. I hoped you understand as well, but I guess it doesn't matter which religion this is closest to, in the end it fits their nature. So what does it matter where I took inspiration from, right? Besides, lots of religions are similar to each other.

edit: I just went and edited the idea, so go back to page 12 and read the part with the temple! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 am

It's an interesting idea. I agree that, in general, a religion or form of spirituality for the fairies would have very little dogma and rules and be closely tied to nature ( besides the predator trinity ) . I would see it as mostly symbolic though, more centered around ideas than around facts and in the end a pretext for fairies for coming together. There is definitely something to develop here ^^

I'm a bit less convinced about the idea of them bing reborn in Lydus when they die though, and then coming back to Felarya. I mean why Lydus in particular ? and the fact that fairies are basically always coming back pose a problem as well i think..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 4:59 am

Well not so much that they DO come back, it is called faith however, doesn't mean that's what actually happens. Religion has been known to be wrong, from time to time.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 10:57 am

Karbo wrote:
It's an interesting idea. I agree that, in general, a religion or form of spirituality for the fairies would have very little dogma and rules and be closely tied to nature ( besides the predator trinity ) . I would see it as mostly symbolic though, more centered around ideas than around facts and in the end a pretext for fairies for coming together. There is definitely something to develop here ^^

I'm a bit less convinced about the idea of them bing reborn in Lydus when they die though, and then coming back to Felarya. I mean why Lydus in particular ? and the fact that fairies are basically always coming back pose a problem as well i think..

It is very free of dogma, they dont have to go to church or read sacred text, but I'm a little confused - since you mention it's closely tied to nature, and also symbolic...how would that work? That doesn't make senses to me, since you cant be directly symbolic with nature...by using nature for the symbolism and the subject. Like I said, though...its very open for different ideas, notice all the different ways I mentioned that they could think of a diety? That's only one example, and probably my best one.

Ace is right about Lydus though, its just a belief that's not necessarily true. I was going to call it the "otherworld" or something, and say that when you dream you go there, but we have the dreamscape for that...but you cant have them go to the dreamscape after they die, can you? The Cyclical rebirth thing doesn't need to be true either - its just ideas about the afterlife, after all. Who knows what's in the afterlife? Razz

Besides, if you decide to use this idea, you can still change it however you want. If you feel need my permission for that, then you have it.

Thanks for your feedback though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 1:30 pm

Its been a while since I posted here. Been a while since I've been active as well, but aside from that...

Govun Berry

This rare berry is found scattered throughout the wilderness, generally found anywhere that isn't too acidic (such as swamps). It's a large oval fruit with a pit in the center and the outside which is sectioned off in miniature oval shapes much like a raspberry. An average fruit is about two feet in diameter, making it incredibly large for a human, but perfectly suited for predators. Aside from being rather large, it is pleasantly dense, and only somewhat moist. Giant predators find themselves filling up on them rather quickly, and proportionately so for a smaller individual - an easy meal for a party of adventurers.

Unfortunately they rot extremely quickly after being plucked, which makes cultivating them rather difficult. Efforts have been made (and research attempted), but it seems that reproduction is only possible due to pollination at a very specific point in it's lifespan by Gyspas, which often means that when this berry is around...they are too.

---
Contrary to popular belief, they do not instantly heal all grievous wounds upon consumption.

There we are. I don't know why its called "Govun Berry" I suppose the person who discovered it was named "Govun"...but that's not too important.

I've also been juggling an idea for an afterlife for the Crimson Maidens, but I'll save that for later.

Mina Weed

Mina weed is a short brown-gold plant, reminiscent of grass, but with many small "leaves" arching out from the stem. It looks like a plant that's dehydrated or dead, but in fact is quite alive. However, it is somewhat rare as it grows abundantly in areas with the least amount of magic saturation in the soil, and when chewed, or coming in contact with liquids, it secrets a chemical that enhances mental functions. It works particularly well with humans as opposed to nekos, elves, and even fairies. For this reason many adventurers like to chew on it, or mix it with alcohol to make a quite popular (and delicious!) ale for humans.

---

I've also been thinking about fairy society. As someone who encourages civilizations in Felarya, I must say that we acknowledge the existence of Dridder and Fairy cultures and civilizations aside from Negav. However, Dridders don't have much in comparison with Negav, and Fairies even less so than Dridders (not to mention, but I think its generally accepted despite the lack of canonized material that Fairies have just as much (if not more) of a complex society as Dridders.

We have fairy glass, books and libraries written by fairies, temples built by fairies, homes, and what must go in them being furniture, arts and crafts, various theology that comes naturally with the existence of society, yet we don't know where these books are written, where the materials are gathered to make the temples, or the kinds of people who make any of these wonderous things (that we haven't seen but surely exists) within Fairyland.

A society, tribes, group of people, clans... (or whatever you want to call them. I also know that some people prefer to believe that there's not much in the way of fairy culture to begin with. They're just artistic, talented, and intelligent. Which as an argument in itself doesn't even make sense.) ...must be led. Period. You can't have the existence of art or buildings or songs without people who help gather the resources for these, which takes organization that's more than just a simple family of two parents and their beautiful children (Note that Notre Dame took roughly TWO HUNDRED YEARS to build how much organization do you think that used? Temples in Felarya are far bigger.). This is why fairies must exist in large groups. Very large groups. Which we should fully accept, otherwise that magnificent library somewhere within Fairy Kingdom wouldn't exist. (It's not mentioned in the wiki as far as I can find at the moment, but it's mentioned in the manga somewhere when I think Vivian asks Anna about a specific fairy book, and its also explained that Fairies are hesitant to lend their precious books out).

Once again, most of us know this (or should). Leadership within the Fairy community I imagine would be more like a general consensus. I take it most fairies aren't much for leadership positions (though I'm sure some are, they're very varies peoples) but would have a recognized leader or someone everyone respects in a community. For example, Temi, though not a leader of society, might be chosen as a spokesperson for the clan she lives with, just because she's incredibly respected. Fairies also believe more in harmony than anything else, hence the suggestion that they have very druid-like religion. They want an open society, and so they probably encourage a less rigid society, because the more rigid rules you have (like Negav), the less likely you are to have harmony there. This is why I'm sure Fairies have their "leaders" gather at a specific place to discuss current events, exchange news, developments both culturally, and threatening. (Like "my clan is having trouble with insects, we need help!").

We still would need some level of organization for artistic and crafting developments. Some fairy discovers a revolutionary way to build a temple to their beloved deity (or ancestor. Many temples might just be devoted to random fairies...which might explain why there's so many), and needs resources, or wishes to share the knowledge of "how to". So either the leader of the clan picked would need to be comfortable with talking about that (something they may know nothing about, which presents an issue) or the leader fairy brings along someone who would be classified as "co-leader" who would gather in another circle of fairies to talk about the sharing and development of arts, crafts, and resources. I believe this is a long winded explanation of why I believe this is necessary, but I believe it is. Especially for a society like the fairies, and a very loose sort of gathering would work best. Its not like they're gathering to debate the inflation of the economy, global warming, or how much to tax other fairies. Fairies I think use a more "share and care" mindset. A very loose political societal structure that keeps them together as a people, and still still lets them roam (care)free.

Rant over. Thoughts? (Not just about this, but the Mina Weed idea too)
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 7:57 pm

On Mina Weed, I find it weird that it is used in alcohol, a drink often associated with stupor. Now if it were used to make an energy drink I would understand ^_^ Or coffee.....

On Fairy civilization, I always like to think of it like the animated movie Fern Gully, with Nemyra being the wise leader. I think if something big like a library or temple needed to be built she would hold a meeting for any fairies to attend (All would be welcome), and those would spread the word. Remember fairies can change the size of inanimate objects rather easily, so many fairies working to build something could work rather quickly.

That's not to say fairy subcommunities wouldn't have people of high respect, but I figure those communities are formed based on needs. For instance some will obviously be better at hunting, some at healing, etc.

At least that's how I always pictured it in my head.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 am

Ah yeah. Sometimes I forget about that, because alcohol affects me differently than it does most other people. Besides, people stick everything they want to in alcohol. There's drinks that exist out there which use body parts. So... Razz

Of course, but you can still think that way if you want to. I always pictured fairies like Kokiri forest in Ocarina of Time. Besides, ferngully fairy society doesn't really have much in the way of society. It's like all live in nothing. You don't see anything but the insides of trees, but I think they had hammocks? I can't really remember too well. It just feels far too primitive for me.

That being said, it doesn't mean that you can't have fairy communities' leaders constantly convene, right? As I explained - any society that builds things like temples and what not need some kind of constant government, otherwise everything would collapse. There's really no way around that. (Did ferngully fairies build massive structures in the forest?). Anyway I keep harping on about that, and I'm not really sure why. If you have an idea as to how fairies live then you're perfectly welcome to keep thinking that.

Nobody will know for sure until Karbo starts drawing/painting fairy lifestyle pictures Razz
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Grave wrote:
On Mina Weed, I find it weird that it is used in alcohol, a drink often associated with stupor.
I think most drinkers drink alcohol to drown their insecurities and put themselves in a positive mood, it's just that stupor is an unfortunate side effect. I've yet to meet anyone who drinks with the intention to become a embarrassing ranting mess who will puke everywhere before falling unconscious on the floor.

Mina Weed in Alcohol could provide all the benifts of getting drunk and removes the unwanted stuff. A drink that raises your confidence and makes you feel good, but at the same time makes you sharp and smarter. Surely that stuff would be even more addictive than normal alcohol?

If I had a choice of a drink that turned me into a confident but sluring imbecile or one that turned me into a fun and jolly intellectual, I would take the later. I could have a good night out and still remember it, perhaps with photographic memory.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Well I agree that the fairies should be developed indeed. There is certainly a lot to do with them ^^
But I'm not totally convinced about that vision you expose. I mean I think fairies would have leaders of sort but that wouldn't be something official. More something spontaneous like " Hey ! let's do as Temi says because she is really wise and know what she is talking about" for example.

And their civilization is also not that advanced. I don't think they would be able to build something nearly as complex as Notre dame from the foundations to the top ^^;  Their temples and buildings are actually much more modest in scope, or they use a lot trees as the base structure.
As I see it, fairies can do a formidable work if they are motivated and excited and believe in the project they are doing. Maybe more so than any other races.
They would pull enthusiastically their friends into it and together they could accomplish incredible things in a record time.

However they tend to be fickle and chaotic and they don't like very much rules...  So in the case of a sustained effort that takes dozens of years of hard and steady work, i don't see that working very well. Keep in mind they may look a lot like humans but they are not *completely* humans and their mindset can be quite different from ours. As I see it the challenge is to manage to develop a coherent and rich society around them while retaining that bit of chaos from them ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Karbo wrote:
But I'm not totally convinced about that vision you expose. I mean I think fairies would have leaders of sort but that wouldn't be something official. More something spontaneous like " Hey ! let's do as Temi says because she is really wise and know what she is talking about" for example.
Exactly, which is why it'd be a get-together council. Hell, knowing fairies, this "important political meeting" would look more like a party than anything else. complete with family reunions from people who travel with them.

Suddenly, I got an idea regarding seeing this and "the great fairy migration". Which is actually where they'd go to catch up on news, decide for any major events or projects, etc. Could be a neat idea I suppose.

Karbo wrote:
However they tend to be fickle and chaotic and they don't like very much rules... So in the case of a sustained effort that takes dozens of years of hard and steady work, i don't see that working very well. Keep in mind they may look a lot like humans but they are not *completely* humans and their mindset can be quite different from ours. As I see it the challenge is to manage to develop a coherent and rich society around them while retaining that bit of chaos from them ^^
Right. I can also see them not enforcing many rules, but "political" would be more like helping to organize their tribes and people, and various projects. Less so their "government" would be based around enforced rules, but ideas and suggestions, maybe like "the pirate code" from "The Pirates of the Caribbean" movies (Barbosa: "they're more actual guide lines, than rules...") but you NEED organization if you have a large group of people. Rules comes with the type of people you live with, and are added on to a group of people if things get out of hand in one way or another, but regardless of rules, they NEED organization.

I sort of get reminded from the way the Demon/Youkai World in Yu Yu Hakusho is operated. Basically we'd use similar, necessary ideas, and tweak them.

However, that goes doubly so with anything that requires any sort of construction.

Also, I'm curious as to what you think regarding my other ideas, too.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm

So nobody's responded in quite some time, so I guess that's that.

Anyway, I guess I'll just put up another idea here and get started again.

The Cookie Cutter

This is a fairy weapon, developed by the Crimson Maidens and very rare to see outside their territory. So named after the (very) inspirational story about all those cookies that escaped from them, loved by every Fairy Child (thank you for that, Stabs. XD). The Cookie Cutter is made with several metals and minerals, among which the main ones are typically Felaryan Silver, Scintilla, Mazhir, and Flamanite, of the Actinite Ore Family just as Aquanite.

It is said the blade has a Flamanite core, with layers of Felaryan Silver around it, and a few veins of Mazhir that run along it down to the core, after which it is constantly tempered and encased in more Felaryan Silver, and Scintilla. The sword is a brilliant oscillating blue color, and when charged by the flames of a Crimson Maiden is actually powerful enough to melt the weapons of their opponents, and release large flames from it. The sword requires very delicate and technical construction, in addition to gathering the elements (not so hard for a group of Crimson Maidens), and as such is an uncommon weapon even inside their domain, as the skill of making this blade is not compatible with the level of dedication that many Fairies would need to make it.

---

I'm not quite sure how to put it, but I dont mean for it to be too over powered, but Crimson Maidens are fierce warriors, and this just helps show why that is. I'm sure many fairies would have the mental fortitude to forge it though, since honestly a Fairy's mindset is far different than that of a human's, and even if it weren't, they're still different, and there would be a lot of smithies among them who'd need the level of concentration anyway.

Critiquing (or complements?) please, since I tried to come up with a logical in-universe way of actually making this sword work. I think I pulled it off too...Remember Felaryan Silver can be enchanted quite easily!
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
So nobody's responded in quite some time, so I guess that's that.

Anyway, I guess I'll just put up another idea here and get started again.

The Cookie Cutter

This is a fairy weapon, developed by the Crimson Maidens and very rare to see outside their territory. So named after the (very) inspirational story about all those cookies that escaped from them, loved by every Fairy Child (thank you for that, Stabs. XD). The Cookie Cutter is made with several metals and minerals, among which the main ones are typically Felaryan Silver, Scintilla, Mazhir, and Flamanite, of the Actinite Ore Family just as Aquanite.

It is said the blade has a Flamanite core, with layers of Felaryan Silver around it, and a few veins of Mazhir that run along it down to the core, after which it is constantly tempered and encased in more Felaryan Silver, and Scintilla. The sword is a brilliant oscillating blue color, and when charged by the flames of a Crimson Maiden is actually powerful enough to melt the weapons of their opponents, and release large flames from it. The sword requires very delicate and technical construction, in addition to gathering the elements (not so hard for a group of Crimson Maidens), and as such is an uncommon weapon even inside their domain, as the skill of making this blade is not compatible with the level of dedication that many Fairies would need to make it.

---

I'm not quite sure how to put it, but I dont mean for it to be too over powered, but Crimson Maidens are fierce warriors, and this just helps show why that is. I'm sure many fairies would have the mental fortitude to forge it though, since honestly a Fairy's mindset is far different than that of a human's, and even if it weren't, they're still different, and there would be a lot of smithies among them who'd need the level of concentration anyway.

Critiquing (or complements?) please, since I tried to come up with a logical in-universe way of actually making this sword work. I think I pulled it off too...Remember Felaryan Silver can be enchanted quite easily!
I rather like it! Ties into mythology, has pretty nice look and seems quite useful in battle! If I made Crimson Maiden I'd be tempted to arm her with one of these baby's! I am curious if there's only stock model or are there any variations? Is two handed, single handed? Single bladed? Does it have a cross guard? There hopes that critique helps. ^_^ I tried to be critical and admiring.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
I rather like it! Ties into mythology, has pretty nice look and seems quite useful in battle! If I made Crimson Maiden I'd be tempted to arm her with one of these baby's! I am curious if there's only stock model or are there any variations? Is two handed, single handed? Single bladed? Does it have a cross guard? There hopes that critique helps. ^_^ I tried to be critical and admiring.
Probably varies from crafts-fairy to crafts-fairy, honestly. It's the method of creation what's more important than the actual shape. Changing the shape might make it harder to identify as well, if you come across one. You couldn't just say "That looks like a cookie cutter!" right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 am

Reading the description of that made me hungry for some reason. I love cookies.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Swords that cut other swords by being blue-hot? Well, that's a good place to begin with. But it doesn't sit right with me to name that particular implement of war after cookies. Fairies don't like puns, we do. :B

Besides, these cookies in particular don't need a cutter, unless you want to eat the cookie without all the stuff around it that you could eat anyway. Some of those cookies come encased in metal; maybe having a cookie cutter is a good idea. But a red-hot cookie cutter will burn those cookies, it won't taste the same, you know? You'd need a cookie cutter that allows you to keep the shape of the cookie intact while removing everything around the edges.

Alternatively, you could have a cookie cutter that cuts the cookie into the shape you like. However, turning a square cookie into a round one might be disturbing... for the cookie. Turning a rather squarish and handsome cookie into one with curves in all the right places comes to mind as one option.

The construction you mention... I wonder if you meant to say they're made of two layers of metal folded together, like Damascus steel was, with special gems in the metal matrix? Or would it just be magic?

How 'bout that for starters?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Stabs wrote:
Swords that cut other swords by being blue-hot? Well, that's a good place to begin with. But it doesn't sit right with me to name that particular implement of war after cookies. Fairies don't like puns, we do. :B
Yes, well, um...yes. XD

Stabs wrote:
Besides, these cookies in particular don't need a cutter, unless you want to eat the cookie without all the stuff around it that you could eat anyway. Some of those cookies come encased in metal; maybe having a cookie cutter is a good idea. But a red-hot cookie cutter will burn those cookies, it won't taste the same, you know? You'd need a cookie cutter that allows you to keep the shape of the cookie intact while removing everything around the edges.

Alternatively, you could have a cookie cutter that cuts the cookie into the shape you like. However, turning a square cookie into a round one might be disturbing... for the cookie. Turning a rather squarish and handsome cookie into one with curves in all the right places comes to mind as one option.

Cutting the metal might be good. Cutting the cookie into a curvy shape might be a bit interesting, but that would be the Cookie Cutter Mk II. I suppose, with lots of magic? hey its felaryan silver, it could be enchanted with anything. I rather like these two ideas, but without burning the cookie would be a delicate art in the kitchen, so to speak.

I imagine it like the damascus steel, layers of metal folded together with gems and what not in between. So yes. Keep in mind, once again, Felaryan Silver allows for enchanting.

Definitely good ideas. I wonder what others think, or how it can be changed for the better.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas   Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archmage_Bael's Library of Ideas
Page 8 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next