Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

is there such a thing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oneweakspot
Helpless prey
oneweakspot

is there such a thing  Empty
PostSubject: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:13 pm

is there such a thing as being to much like yourself when u type a character profile like for example i am way too sexual and sensual.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:35 pm

The simple answer is yes. When creating an original character it is best not to display too many traits form the author.
Back to top Go down
Irrelevant
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Irrelevant

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 am

Oh, man. Cauldron said it perfectly. One of the things I struggle with about my character is keeping his personality as far away from possible as mine. Usually that isn't a problem, but every now and then whenever writing an IC post, it feels too much like I'm imagining how I would act and react in the situation he's in, and replying accordingly- which isn't good.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 1:23 am

I severely disagree. Zion is very much like me, and I like it that way. It makes it very interesting to write, and to roleplay.

However, you must also keep setting in mind. Where did that person come from? They may be like you, but altered to fit their situation.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 4:27 am

oneweakspot wrote:
is there such a thing as being to much like yourself when u type a character profile like for example i am way too sexual and sensual.
If a character is virtually identical in temperament and personality its a self insert. More-so if they look similar to yourself.
It's best to avoid self inserts because authors tend to make them overpowered. Example here.

Characters that are dissimilar from yourself are usually more interesting. Of course, they would have some basic similarities since authors still have to be able to identify with their characters in order to write about them. The dissimilarities stop the author from being too attached to their characters, allowing dangerous situations and death to occur.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
oneweakspot
Helpless prey
oneweakspot

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:13 am

thanks i really needed to know and ok i know wat i must do :3
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 11:07 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
oneweakspot wrote:
If a character is virtually identical in temperament and personality its a self insert. More-so if they look similar to yourself.
It's best to avoid self inserts because authors tend to make them overpowered. Example here.
It depends on how mature the author is. You have to still keep in mind your character's abilities and limits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is there such a thing    is there such a thing  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is there such a thing
Page 1 of 1