Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How small?

Go down 
+4
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
Stabs
DaNoob13
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DaNoob13
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
DaNoob13

How small? Empty
PostSubject: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Simple question; how small can a fairy shrink a human, neko, etc...? I haven't seen anything on it really and I tried using the search thing on the forum but nothing came up. I think I might try to write something so I need this question answered please. Smile
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 am

Well, my best guess is that they can shrink you to bite-sized for their small size. That'd be... 1/24 x 3 inches... 3/24 inches for every six feet tall you are. Each foot has 12 inches, so if you go from 72 to 1/8... that's 72x8 times smaller. Make it 1/576 of your size.

I picture 1/24 and just growing themselves would be much less hassle, though...
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 12:06 pm

math. that was shocking.

jokes aside, I think a 576th of your size is a little too small. Fairies can shrink things within about 10ft tall or so, any bigger and I would assume it would be relative to the fairy's magical power. Unless you're Subeta, I think 15ft would be pushing it.

As to how small a fairy could shrink you, I think proportionately bite size is about correct, because it may be relative to how big *they* are as well, like the smallest relative to them would probably be all the way down to their ankle height. I doubt a 2 in fairy would be able to shrink a 10ft object down to 5mm though. Proportions probably play a big role in how big or small something can be shrunk or grown relative to them.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 1:06 pm

They have problems when your size is from 12 ft and beyond, so forget about 15 ft entirely. The fairy would most likely shrink you small enough to swallow you whole, so there's nol need to be specific. Also Bael, the size of the fairy is completely irrelevant to their magical power. She may be 2 inches tall or 125 ft tall, her magical powers wouldn't increase or decrease in any way, since from her perspective, she never changed size to begin with. Plus, since when MAGIC is affected by the caster's size?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 8:43 pm

I never said their power was relevant to their size, I said the size that their magic allows them to shrink or grow could be irrelevant to their size, which is completely different. sorry if I phrased that weird.

As for size-relevance, it plays a big role in many fantasy universes, and also in real life. Generally something with more size is given more force. I think people don't want it to be relevant because they'll be too powerful, well, to me that's just the way it is I think and I just say "too bad. size = force/power."
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 5:03 am

The thing is, Magic is a SUPERNATURAL force, NOT a physical aspect! Just because you're bigger doesn't mean you can weave mystical energy in existance better, because it has nothing to do with the person's physical strength or anything of the sort. Now I know what you're thinking: "But Dragon's fire breath is relevant to their size." Well, here's the thing, it can be a physical product of methane being produced in their digestive tract, is ignited, and then expelled. Magic is ENERGY being shaped into existence by a wizard, and not the product of someone's body or other physical object. As a result, Magic is irrelevant to a person's size, because if it was, I don't think ANY Human could survive any encounter with any predator since, to you, everything is relevant to a person's size, which has often been proven wrong.
Back to top Go down
MukatKiKaarn
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
MukatKiKaarn

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 8:14 am

I imagine magical power has more to do with age than size-- an older fairy would be more capable of achieving more fantastic feats of magic.

Hard to say just how small a fairy could potentially make something, since fey magic works on the principle of altering perceptions of local reality: since technically there wouldn't be any physical restraint on how far they could alter your size (since, in a sense, you don't really change size-- if I understand things right, your perceptions/the space immediately around you are merely altered.) There would only be a practical restraint: why would a fairy need to make you smaller than bite-size relative to their own scale?
Back to top Go down
http://mukatkikaarn.deviantart.com
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:36 am

MukatKiKaarn wrote:
I imagine magical power has more to do with age than size
I think that would have to do with experience. Someone who is experienced with magic would know more spells and be able to use magic more efficiently.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:47 pm

mana content usually has a correlation to a person's body or the strength of their spirit/willpower. it can be relative to size though, too. If we say we don't know the origins of how magic works then how can we say that it *doesn't* have anything to do with size in the first place? granted the size of a fireball would be directly relevant to the size of the object used to emit it. If it comes from a giant hand, the fireball would be that giant, but like you said, not necessarily more powerful.

I was still stating that the the size a fairy could shrink someone would be on a scale with their height, like a fairy can only make someone 1/15th (example) of their size because of the dimensional connections a fairy has when they use size shifting magic on themselves as well. Something along those lines
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Brief go to mana: just because they have more mana because they're bigger doesn't mean they automatically use more of it for all spells as if they were smaller. Also, you just destroyed your own argument that it has something to do with size by saying that it has to do with the strength of their spirit/willpower, which is the power of their mind, not their body.

Back to fairy, I already said that it's irrelevant to know how small they can shrink you because the Fairy is almost always going to shrink you small enough to swallow you whole.
Back to top Go down
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 12:11 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Back to fairy, I already said that it's irrelevant to know how small they can shrink you because the Fairy is almost always going to shrink you small enough to swallow you whole.

that being true, it is still relevant because we didn't as what a fairy would "Almost always" be able to shrink you down to, the question was how small, as an actual limit regardless of the fairy's size preference for the target.

personally, I would just assume the minimum would be about tom thumb size, as a general size. I have yet to see a tiny fairy go out of her way to shrink someone tom thumb sized, but I would guess they also stop at around that size. So it would be more reasonably based on their own size changing ability. As for experience, it would make sense if the max/min size didn't change very much, but possibly give them the ability to go insect sized, like, literally.

Last edited by codaman on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 12:24 am

codaman wrote:
allcaps
Please, all-caps, bold enlarged text is not necessary at all.
It's in the rules, maybe you should go over them again.

Please try to keep it civil people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
codaman
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 1:31 am

Anime-Junkie wrote:
codaman wrote:
allcaps
Please, all-caps, bold enlarged text is not necessary at all.

Just tried to put it out that it was getting a little agro around here, hence the humorous twilight reference, but yes I will go and adjust that.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:14 am

In regard to the OP question (shrinking humans and the like): I believe there's no definitive answer to this. We know that relatively man-sized Fairies can shrink a similarly sized person down to be fit in their mouth, but we aren't shown often a "shrunk"-size fairy shrinking someone further to be eaten. I'd imagine that, barring a few especially powerful or talented fairies, the most you can shrink someone is down to about "edible whole" for a man-sized Fairy. Or, possibly, you could make the shrinking in relation to how small a Fairy can get: No Fairy can (barring the above mentioned powerful / talented fairies) shrink someone smaller than they can "shrink" themselves (shrink in quotations as technically the fairies less shrink and more have a natural size adjustment).

In regards to magic schtick: bringing this up in here is a terrible idea, this has been debated to death elsewhere on this forum. I'm personally of the belief that magic comes from potential and training, not size, but other people are against such and support size = magic. One of the key reasons I'm against the "size = magic power" is that it means that a Human / Elf / Neko mage can never match even the most basic / mundane of Giant Predators, even those that apparently cannot learn magic. Which is something to keep in mind, actually: If size were the main factor in determining magic potential, shouldn't every Giant Predator be a competent mage, instead of the 10%-or-so we're often shown for them?

Back to my point, it's none too good an idea to start this debate back up. It was held a while back, and it basically came down to back-and-forward yelling of "Experience / knowledge matters!" "No, size and natural understanding matter most!" (For those unaware of what the other halves means: Debate about whether being able to naturally cast or cast via intense knowledge of the field is more important). Getting an official word from Karbo would probably be best for what determines magical might, at least for Fairies (heck, for all we know it could be wing-type related!).
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 9:17 am

I do remember that in an early story Ravana wrote, a tiny fairy shrunk a human small enough to eat it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How small? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How small?   How small? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How small?
Page 1 of 1