Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

General Q and A - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I doubt anything is really native to Felarya. There are however things that may have come to Felarya and then changed or evolved to survive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
Alright i have a question:

were tomthumbs there since the beginning of felarya of have they arrived after? by "beginning of felarya" i mean like, the beginning of the world itself, not in karbo's head Razz

also, same thing for neeras...

thank you Smile

What Zion and AJ said.

Also, if the beasts of the past in the Akaptor Desert are any indication, ancient Felarya was even more dangerous and hostile than it is today, and populated by godzilla-sized monstrosities. It could be possible that humans, and the sentient hybrids are a relatively recent thing in Felarya's timeline, much like how humans are a pretty recent thing on Earth.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:56 pm

questions about things that may happen when felarya connect to a world or relam in certian situations and i will list them as such
* when a natural distater is occurring such as a tornado, hurricane, super volcanic eruption, or astriod impact ect....? would any of those get through?
* during a man made disater such as, nuclear war, nuclear plant meltdowm, invasion of zombies, or the rise of the machines, would any of those get through?
* war like the civel war or wwI, say if two oppsing armies determind to kill each other were transported into felarya, would the gaurdinans either wipe both armies out or would they like the romans watch the blood bath unfold if it would please the insect gaurdian?
and please dont quote the wiki, I would like to here personal opinions and not a generic one.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 7:02 pm

Just like how Felarya doesn't connect to black holes, It's not going to connect to a world covered in lava/nuclear explosions/etc.
A tornado wouldn't be able to get through anyway.

As for opposing armies. They're probably going to keep fighting them realise they they aren't home anymore. At which point they must start conserving ammo and everything.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 7:09 pm

whbiile that really wasnt what i was asking but that may work too, i was asking if the guardians would destory both armies because they were their or would the watch them destory each other * especaly if it involed battles planet side by a invading army and the defends of the planet , somethning akin to the chronicles of riddick*
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Felarya only connects to other worlds in 3 different ways. Vanishing lands, where a chunk of another world is temporarily transported to Felarya before bouncing back some time later... Snap-portals, which are violent, random portals that only last a fraction of a second and drag in whatever is around it... and the more traditional, stable, dimensional portals. The last one is actually the rarest, I believe.

Quote :
* when a natural distater is occurring such as a tornado, hurricane, super volcanic eruption, or astriod impact ect....? would any of those get through?

Considering the odds of a random dimensional portal, opening up on a random world, at the exact moment of an asteroid impact or other natural disaster is near-infinately small, I think it is largely a non-issue.

Stable portal:
It is probably possible that a little bit of the energy would bleed through. Maybe a jet of fire, or some volcanic ash, or some wind/rain...but considering that most portals aren't that big, the overall effect would be tiny. Probably just a "What the heck was that all about?" moment for anyone who happens to be within ear-shot or visual range.

Vanishing land:
A vanishing land just isn't going to grab up a whole volcano. They aren't that big.

Quote :
* during a man made disater such as, nuclear war, nuclear plant meltdowm, invasion of zombies, or the rise of the machines, would any of those get through?

These actually could potentialy get in through a couple different ways.

Vanishing land/Stable portal:
Let's say a melted down reactor, or a chunk of irradiated land comes through. Its going to leak some radiation while its around, but the vanishing land will bounce back to its home and be gone. I guess radiation could, in theory, leak through a stable portal as well, but those are small and temporary. Once the vanishing land goes home, or the portal closes, the radiation will fade and anyone who got exposed will probably just get healed up by the healing factor. Once again...the chances of a vanishling land grabbing a melting down reactor, or a chunk of irradiated post-nuclear war land is insanely tiny to the point of being a non-issue.

With the zombies (which probably don't exist anyway), the healing factor, or the ineffectiveness of necromancy would make it impossible for the virus/curse to spread. The zombies would probably get mopped up quick by local wildlife or carnivorous plants.

As for machines...once again, the chance of a vanishing land grabbing a chunk of land with killer robots is tiny. If they wander off the vanishing land and into the jungle, the lack of maintenence and the harsh things jungles do to metal and electronics would probably render them useless relatively quick. If the local wildlife doesn't get them first.

Quote :
* war like the civel war or wwI, say if two oppsing armies determind to kill each other were transported into felarya, would the gaurdinans either wipe both armies out or would they like the romans watch the blood bath unfold if it would please the insect gaurdian?

No General is going to march his army through some wierd dimensional portal, so a vanishing land seems like the only reasonable situation.

Vanishing land:
I would imagine getting transported to an alien world would be a more pressing issue than whatever they were fighting over. In all likelyhood, both armies would take a break from fighting, hole up behind their own frontlines, and just try to figure out what is going on. If they kept fighting, it would still be on the vanishing land, which is going to revert back to its original location after enough time has past, taking the armies with it.

It would just be some infantry and maybe a couple armored vehicles. Artillery would be miles away, and aircraft would be way too high to get caught. Their overall impact on the world would be negligible.

Also, the Guardians wouldn't even notice. They only care about forces that threaten the world as a whole, not every single human or pred out there with a weapon.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 10:28 pm

ok last possablity
is it possable that a random portal were to open up drag in, say two people at the exactmoment of a Nuclear detnation and the people drag in were close to the epicenter, would the portal in theory drag part of the nuclear detnation with it?
( if you get who im refernceing to you win a cookie)
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes, it technically is.
As seen here:
Whiplash connections : These types of connections are a good deal less common than stable ones. A whiplash connection is a sudden, violent connection between Felarya and another point in space or dimension. These can be thought of as the inter-dimensional equivalent of a rip-tide. When they appear, anything within a certain proximity (some are bigger or smaller than others) gets sucked in as that point in space violently shifts. Their near-instantaneous nature also means that the exit usually closes behind you. Basically, the ultimate case of being in the wrong place in the wrong time.

A whiplash portal could yes, grab two people before the explosion reached them.

Quote :
( if you get who I'm referencing to you win a cookie)
Luke it's really obvious who that you're talking about your own characters.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:02 pm

AJ i meant could the portal drag part of the nuclear explosion with them?
cookie for AJ Smile
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:17 pm

question just how tall is the Giant tree? please give me a number in meters
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:34 pm

luke112 wrote:
AJ i meant could the portal drag part of the nuclear explosion with them?
cookie for AJ Smile
Spoiler:

If they actually get hit by the explosion itself, they'd be vaporized.

Whiplash portals only last for a tiny fraction of a second. A nuke could hit a couple feet away from them at the same time the portal appears, they'd be sucked into Felarya, and the portal already closed behind them, before they even felt the explosion.

Quote :
question just how tall is the Giant tree? please give me a number in meters

No one knows exactly. Its branches are large enough for entire cities to fit on them, and it has its own ecosystem within its branches and foliage. Honestly, it'd probably be much more accurate to measure it in kilometers.

In all likelyhood, it is the single largest, and oldest, living thing in the known universe.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:51 pm

so way more then 5km than then hun
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:01 am

question, if the healing factor cannit do a thing to parasites, then what kinds of parasites are there? is there any unquie to Felarya?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:14 am

luke112 wrote:
question, if the healing factor cannit do a thing to parasites, then what kinds of parasites are there? is there any unquie to Felarya?

It isn't so much that it doesn't work for parasites (it would lessen effects somewhat), its that parasites tend to have fairly quick-acting, sometimes dramatic effects.

I would imagine there are a great variety. Usual external parasites like ticks, leeches and other similar creatures are probably still around. With the healing factor taking disease out of the question, these would just be limited to causing discomfort and pain.

As for internal parasites, they haven't really been explored or documented much. Those are the ones that are actually capable of making you sick. It would depend on the parasite of course, even on Earth, some internal parasites are much more subtle than others. In all likelyhood, the weaker internal parasites probably get their effects dampened to the point of being a non-issue, and be taken care of by the body's own processes for handling them.

It is the more exotic, and dangerous parasites that would actually be able to overwhelm the healing factor and produce negative effects on the host. In other words, while parasites ARE one of the things that is actually able to cause sickness, cases of it happening are still pretty rare.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 7:45 am

There are Leviathan Gutlords, Hecaticks, Cyaneka Worms, Goro-Goro larvae, Dryad Gut Worm, etc...

Now for a question of mine: How come Harpies, Mermaids, Nagas, etc... that are known to have hatched from eggs still have belly buttons? Belly buttons are the result of umbilical cords which only occur in live births.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 8:37 am

Jasconius wrote:
There are Leviathan Gutlords, Hecaticks, Cyaneka Worms, Goro-Goro larvae, Dryad Gut Worm, etc...

Now for a question of mine: How come Harpies, Mermaids, Nagas, etc... that are known to have hatched from eggs still have belly buttons? Belly buttons are the result of umbilical cords which only occur in live births.

Really, there are two ways to go with that one.

1: It is a vestigial hold-over from their human halves.

or

2: (I consider this one more likely) Their belly-button marks where their yolk-sac connected to them while they were still in the egg. It isn't like fish, birds and the like actually physically eat the yolk. It is connected to their bodies, and absorbed through that connection, since they don't have a functioning digestive system for a lot of their development. It would make sense for the yolk to connect to their bellies, since it would provide easy access to their stomachs, torso, etc...and you can't really connect from the back because of the spinal cord and such.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

About Paragya, where does its inhabitants live? The entry in the wiki is pretty confusing. Stepping on the island itself is pretty much instant death, but there's only one passing comments of huge vines that aren't yellow and are somehow above ground. Where do those vine come from and how are they floating in the air?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 am

I think it is referring to tree roots and normal giant vines that come off the trees that can be walked upon, as it mentions the island is covered in lush foliage as well as a giant hydra tree (at least I hope so, wouldn't want to find out that it's actually the mouth of the supposed creature the island grows on).

I noticed that it is mentioned with the Negative Hydras that only two are known to exist in Felarya and that both are found only within the Tomb of Alcazath. However, Negative Hydras (but not their spies, the Nether Wisps) are included amongst the fauna of the Tenembra Maze. This would seem to indicate that at least a third specimen exists and that someone encountered it there, yet this contradicts the previous mention of only two being known to exist and the fact that no Nether Wisps are found in the Tenembra Maze. Is this an error in the hydra's description or in the maze's listed fauna?
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 am

Hmmm, lately I've been wondering some things concerning dryads, some of them may sound silly ... I think... anyways there I go xD:

-Can the human half of dryads be considered as "flesh"?

-Does dryads have any predator? (If yes, what kind? I'm not sure if they are suposed to be carnivorous or vegetarian xD)

-Sap, blood, a mixture of both?

-How are internal organs of dryads organised (and separately, do they have a kind of skeleton?)

-I've heard that normally the healing effect of Felarya can't restore limbs, but as dryads are half plants, is it possible for them to "regrow" them?
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:50 am

I assumed that the human part of a dryad was a really soft wood. I mean, on a lot of Karbo's drawings their "skin" looks a little barklike in places.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:01 am

I always assumed that Dryads were neither completely plant nor completely animal, but something always in-between. "Blood" would be something that resembles sap and plasm mixed together, what organs might be inside them are very simply or almost non-existant, the skin is like the trunk trying really hard to be human, etc..
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:44 am

Ooh, ooh! I want to put on my fancy professor robes and cap for this one! *clears throat*

Circulatory System:
The idea that sap alone would be able to be quickly and efficiently pumped throughout a body that large and still provide for such energy-consuming functions like conscious thought and a working brain is a little far-fetched. Blood is used in animals rather than sap because we require large amounts of oxygen for all the energy we use.

However, it's not entirely unbelievable that a dryad would possess two circulatory systems. Her first one, which is predominant closer to the bark, would be a system of xylem and phloem constructs that function like a plant's sap system, allowing for some photosynthesis to occur. This system would mostly be directed at any leafy growths, and the lower parts of the dryad's trunk.

Deeper within her body, and becoming more pronounced in her upper half, is the animal-like circulatory system. It is not as complex or as thorough as it is in most animals, since dryads use less energy, as they are usually stationary and relatively inactive creatures (side-question: exothermic, endothermic?). This is supported by a strong heart in the chest to ensure the blood's travel to the lofty head.

These two systems would meet at a few organs near the tree-humanoid boundary line, which I refer to in most hybrids as the "tauric divide". The organs can process the sap for energy, taking the nutrients and passing it into the bloodstream to be metabolized.

To boil it down:
-Two circulatory systems, one blood and one sap
-Sap is mostly in lower trunk, with some offshoots towards leafy growths in upper half to allow for photosynthesis
-Blood is mostly in upper humanoid half, with some offshoots into lower trunk to ensure health of any organs there
-Systems meet at "exchange organs" which take the sugars in the sap and transfer them into the blood

Skeletal-Muscular System:
This one's tricky. If the upper half is soft wood, then how does it move of its own accord? Motion implies a muscular system, and a muscular system for such a large creature implies a skeleton.

However, there are other examples of creatures attaining bodily motion without such traditional biological systems. Elementals, for one, can take a body of completely inert material and turn it into a functioning body. Kinetic motion of the material at a molecular (or at least very small) level may be the cause of this. Dryads may have a similar method, but in all honesty, wood is a little less manipulable than energetic bodies such as fire, or bodies made of heterogeneous particles such as earth. Thus, I believe this to be unlikely, though it should not be ruled out. EDIT: Just checked wiki, and there are indeed wood elementals. That may lend a bit more credence to this idea.

Basically, I would assume that there is some form of skeleton and muscular structure, even if the outermost layer is soft, thin bark that resembles skin.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:08 am

I'm sorry, but I disagree with making dryads human-like, especially given the changes that have taken place regarding theory on dryad reproduction.

One also doesn't require muscles to move. At least utilize their more plant-like attributes rather than trying to make them a partial human.

I would say that dryads are more tree like with their 'human' organs being analogous, but not being like them. We know Dryads have mouths and throats and stomachs, but what are they really? I don't agree with them being human-like, not with their nature.

Why must every tauric predator have such systems? Why can't they have a system of different viscous saps for providing necessary functions - it's not like the occupants of their stomachs would be able to tell the difference. Others keep bringing up the breast-use analogy, for example - if you want to part ways and utilize or remove features from their non-tauric purpose, at least be consistent with it.

I would rather see some imagination go into this, instead of this reflex kitbashing of plant and animal to make it work. Can we please stop with delivering explanations for symptoms and go at it from an original angle? Dryads are by far one of the most unique species, and given what has been said and formulated of them they deserve to be unique.

Perhaps I'll do some elaboration on this myself when I actually have the time to allow for distractions.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 am

Hmm... now that Aether puts it like he has, I do agree with him.
In 3D modelling kitbashing is where a new model is created by taking pieces out of existing commercial models or whole models themselves. Kitbashes can be done well if the models being used are similar, but its still a patch job, something that's done when making something from scratch just isn't viable.

That's not the case here, we can have dryads be completely plant. I've assumed that their humanoid parts were not covered in actual skin, but a plant alternative.

If we're going to think this through we might was well do it properly, think this from the ground up rather than doing a kitbash.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am

I agree with Aether. This is overthinking things that nobody should think about in the first place. We don't have to adhere to the laws of physics, but that we stick to the rules we made up.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 23 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next