Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+65
Stabs
Rezec
macdaddy
Lobo
Pim18
asaenvolk
X
space_samurai
PrinnyDood
zersergathant
Black Aquila
Sehoolighan
Black Hole Fragment
Solomon
M19Kamikaze
Tuc135
GREGOLE
Vaderaz
Darkstorm Zero
buddha66667
French snack
Zillachary
thejackle123
Warrior3000
Krisexy26
walkingbyself
luke112
ginbug
Prof.Nekko
Malahite
Malhavoc Shade
Shadeofheave
CauldronBorn24
moonlight-pendent13
JonathanS223
Cowrie
kaitheguy1234
EdgedWeapon
Pendragon
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Jætte_Troll
Kai Leingod
Salvyrn
timing2
aethernavale
Oldman40k2003
dragonjaj
sparkythechu
MrNobody13
AisuKaiko
Slimetoad
Grave
Archmage_Bael
itsmeyouidiot
codaman
Feadraug
TheLightLost
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
DaNoob13
Shady Knight
Karbo
Anime-Junkie
Jasconius
69 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

General Q and A - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm not actually all that angry. I mean, I was a little irked at first by that little bullshit Aether pulled, but I'm pretty sure getting angry and looking like a douche will hurt my case there. Fact is, he's bashing, I'm not.

The capitalization and cursing does, I admit, seem a little aggressive. I'm really trying to just get a point across, and it's a point that I've been trying to make people understand for a while.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:29 pm

to be frank, youre not right aisu. IT IS worth it. dont let people tell you how your imagination should be zion. i also think its a rather important question. what if a dryad gets hurt? what will come out? blood or wood?

but yeah, we gotta keep it civil, but its a very interesting question youre coming with zion Smile

Last edited by Krisexy26 on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I thought it would be sap. Razz
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Yea, I think it would be more sap than wood xD
---

Dont fight people, each one can have their opinions, and I'm also someone who likes to have some logics in fantasy discutions.
Your ideas may differ, but try to think of arguments to explain your points of view and eventually, mix the ideas if it's possible (nobody can be 100% right or 100% wrong)

Well anyways, i dont think we can say that dryads are really "completely made of wood/plant" l, after all, they have still an important thing that I've not seen anywhere so far in this thread; a nervous system and of course, a BRAIN.
The brain is characteristic of animals, so I'm quite sure that there must be something else, or a mix between animal and vegetal;
I dont think that a complete plant body would be able to keep a nervous system as complex as a dryad (cause they are indeed complex, dryads are inteligent beings, and have conections with each other).

Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
to be frank, youre not right aisu. IT IS worth it. dont let people tell you how your imagination should be zion.
No, no, Aisu's right. It's not worth getting angry, because that won't win anyone over. That doesn't mean I'm backing down, Kris, it just means that I'm using more tact.

I don't think anyone's telling me how my imagination should be. Aether is simply trying to discern what belongs in a world that multiple people draw from and contribute to. I think his methods are a bit asinine, but I'm not going to accuse him of something he isn't doing. Felarya isn't subject to any one person's imagination, with the obvious exception of Karbo. It is a shared effort, and sometimes there has to be a little discussion on what's appropriate and what isn't.

Atlas wrote:
Well anyways, i dont think we can say that dryads are really "completely made of wood/plant" l, after all, they have still an important thing that I've not seen anywhere so far in this thread; a nervous system and of course, a BRAIN.
The brain is characteristic of animals, so I'm quite sure that there must be something else, or a mix between animal and vegetal;
I dont think that a complete plant body would be able to keep a nervous system as complex as a dryad (cause they are indeed complex, dryads are inteligent beings, and have conections with each other).
THANK YOU. That is exactly why I proposed what I did, and why I thought it made sense. It may not fit every single person's sense of aesthetics, but I found it to be sensible. Of course, that depends on what one's priorities are.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:30 pm

yeah, but it shouldnt be like "your ideas suck because mines better"

though im not saying anyone said it. the best way for me is like in a debate. you throw your arguments and the one that makes more sense wins :/ that is, karbo needs to approve after :/

and ehm...i more wanted to mean like..."downrating your ideas/views" something like that :/
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Ah. Then in that case, Kris, I agree with you. To be honest, I may have been overly defensive in my interpretation, but it seemed to me that "downrating" is exactly what Aether was doing.

Anyways, I believe that's enough de-railing from me.
Back to top Go down
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 4:41 pm

The thing is, as stated, Dryads do have a complex nervous system capable of logical rational thought, a concept only possible by animals, not plants, so Dryad's do require some animal based genetics to exist. However Dryads are also capable of photosynthesis, which means they have to have some plant traits as well. Considering the these facts, if a Dryad is to exist, one can quickly discern 2 possible outcomes.

1. The Dryad is a hybridized being, as Zion said and has both plant and animal qualities, and can seemlessly intertwine the two together. This is the easiest way to explain it if you don't wish to go into explaining the genetic nightmare that is mixing Plant and Animals together, but really Felarya already has Humans mixed with Snakes/Cats/Birds/ect. As well as making them over 100 feet tall. So what harm can come in mixing humans with Plants I ask you?

2. The Dryad is in truth an ethereal being of some sort, merely possessing a tree and having it manipulate it into a form of its choosing. Since the thought processes are of a spirit, a nervous system is not required as it can manipulate the plant matter to create movement. However this has some complications in the fact that Dryads hate fire. If a nature spirit was possessing a plant, and the plant were destroyed, the spirit would simply inhabit another tree, yet dead dryads are gone forever, so therein lies the problem.

These are the two primary possibilities I've devulged, is one right? Maybe, maybe not. Are there other possibilities? Maybe. But this is the easiest way to explain it for now
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Question: if bullets wouldnt bring much pain to giant preds, what about direct energy weapons like a plasma rifle or a energy sword or the partical beam rifle wouldnt any of those cause major harm to giant preds? or would some just out right kill them?( especaily the last one)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm

luke112 wrote:
Question: if bullets wouldnt bring much pain to giant preds, what about direct energy weapons like a plasma rifle or a energy sword or the partical beam rifle wouldnt any of those cause major harm to giant preds? or would some just out right kill them?( especaily the last one)

Bullets do bring pain though. Even something as small as a 7.62mm assault rifle round would feel like getting stabbed by a small needle or insect. With decent enough numbers, the pred would definately get the idea that they need to just move on and go bother someone else.

It isn't really about the type of weapon, its about the size. Weapons that can hurt preds tend to be anti-armor and anti-vehicle weapons. Like, an assault rifle will just hurt a pred, but an RPG will seriously maim or kill them. A .50cal rifle would draw blood and cause intense pain, but a 20mm cannon would outright kill them. The main issue is that most weapons that can kill a pred tend to be fairly clunky, heavy or otherwise unwieldy, not to mention almost impossible for anyone outside of the Isolon Fist, Vishmitals or an offworld military to obtain.

As for energy weapons, I imagine they follow similar rules. Small, anti-infantry weapons are just going to cause a bit of pain, while larger weapons designed to destroy vehicles, aircraft or armored vehicles would be able to cause serious injuries or death. The main issue with energy weapons is that they probably would be rare. The only way to get them would be to import them from offworld, and even then, I doubt that any civillian could just go somewhere and buy a plasma rifle.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

I am not sure here cliff, I am talking about the type of energy weapons that can and will unleash bolts of 3000 degrees F or more, I am sure that would cause much more pian and harm then a bullet, even if the weapon was meant to take down infantry, but then agian the civization that would have that kind of weapons would also have energy shields and even power armour many more times advance then what is any known race in felarya currently has. and by that statement i would belive that weapons would have to be adjusted to compensate for the advance armor and/or energy sheilds. so i would belive that shot from a driect energy weapon would be many more times pianful than shot from a bullet, and something like a plasma sword (think of halo 1 and not star wars please) would inflict serious harm on a pred that is not fire alined beacuse the blade would acutly easily peirice the skin and possably go into the muscle and we must consider the fact that the heat from the blade being inside the flesh would cook a good deal around the inital stab. though then agian i am no expert here about the workings of felarya and so that is why i asked the community the question, so that i hope may get a wide varrity of repsoneses and thus draw a conclusion before resumeing and posting all of my stories, which is pracaticaly the sole reason why i asked question in the Q & A at all.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 pm

luke112 wrote:
I am not sure here cliff, I am talking about the type of energy weapons that can and will unleash bolts of 3000 degrees F or more, I am sure that would cause much more pian and harm then a bullet, even if the weapon was meant to take down infantry, but then agian the civization that would have that kind of weapons would also have energy shields and even power armour many more times advance then what is any known race in felarya currently has. and by that statement i would belive that weapons would have to be adjusted to compensate for the advance armor and/or energy sheilds. so i would belive that shot from a driect energy weapon would be many more times pianful than shot from a bullet, and something like a plasma sword (think of halo 1 and not star wars please) would inflict serious harm on a pred that is not fire alined beacuse the blade would acutly easily peirice the skin and possably go into the muscle and we must consider the fact that the heat from the blade being inside the flesh would cook a good deal around the inital stab. though then agian i am no expert here about the workings of felarya and so that is why i asked the community the question, so that i hope may get a wide varrity of repsoneses and thus draw a conclusion before resumeing and posting all of my stories, which is pracaticaly the sole reason why i asked question in the Q & A at all.

It really depends on the weapons. Energy weapons, in general, tend to have poor penetrating power. They have no mass behind their projectiles and rely on the heat to cause damage instead of kinetic energy.

It really depends on the type of weapon, since the biggest limiting factor on an energy weapon is it's power source. That's the reason that laser weapons for infantry is largely impactical. There is no way to stick a powerful enough energy source on them to give them significantly more power than an solid-shell weapon. That's the reason energy weapons are much better on vehciles and starships, you can actually attatch them to a powerful enough energy source to make them worth it.

Plasma swords, and lightsabers (which are plasma swords), are impossible for the above reason. There is just no way to create such a small, yet powerful, energy source. Its a weapon that looks cool, and would be powerful, but is just impossible to actually make.

Also, wounds from energy weapons tend to be much cleaner and much less painful than wounds from a solid-shell weapon. Energy weapons tend to cauderize wounds, and sear nerves. There is almost no bleeding afterwards, and all the nerves are burned away so you'd feel much less pain. There is also no shrapnel or tiny pieces of the bullet breaking off and scattering in the wound. I mean, look what happens when someone gets their arm cut off by a lightsaber? There's no blood, and they only feel pain for a second...and then they're fine. If that same arm got blown off by a cannon round, or cut off by a bladed weapon, the pain would be much more intense and they would quickly bleed to death.

Energy weapons, on an infantry level, are just not worth it. They are inferior to solid-shell projectiles in every way because of how clean their wounds are, and because of their power-source limitations. Vehicle and ship-mounted energy weapons are a different story though. Energy swords suffer from the same problem as real swords though. They're melee weapons. Good against humans with other melee weapons, but useless against a pred because of their range and how easily a pred could disarm you.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Plasma will do what it will to any other substance: burn and melt. If you brought a plasma rifle (at least the one I think you're talking about) those are tiny little blobs of energy, and they'd create a burn in the predator's skin, but it wouldn't melt through it enough to do real damage. It would do either one of two things: make the predator reel back in pain, or make them angrier, and start throwing boulders and large objects, or just raging in general out of pain.

The reason why plasma weapons work so well in Halo, is because humans are small enough so that the weapons outright kill them if they land in most any spot. Since realistically, that ballistic plating the marines and odst get don't do much good. Their arms will still be melted off or something. Very very different than the way it works here in Felarya.

Remember: mass matters Razz
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 pm

True, Bael. I was mainly tailking about laser/energy beam weapons in my post. Plasma weaponry has its own issues.

The main problem with all kinds of energy weapons is that they tend to lack penetrating power and maiming power, which is what you really need to bring down a large animal.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 pm

An energy weapon of a type that you describe would require massive amounts of fuel/energy to run, it would potentially melt after one shot, and is not very feasible as the amount of input would not be worth the destructive output when compared to other less powerful, more "normal" weaponry.

No real need for a weapon, designed to fight other humans, to produce bolts of 3000 degrees F when less advanced ways would be more effective.

Your assuming that advancement in the field of energy weapons automatically means that a civilization has spent equal amounts of time in researching such things as energy shields/power suits. And no, they wouldn't be "thousands" of times more advanced.

As for the plasma sword, it really wouldn't be very effective against giant predators. First off you would need to learn how to contain the plasma so that it actually be used as a blade, and second, at most you would only be able to slash and stab away at a giant's feet or tail, which are already immense compared to a normal sized human. As there are not vital organs within easy reach, the owners of them will likely squash you flat before you could hit them more than once. That or they would eat you. And they would be smart enough to realize eating the sword as well wouldn't be a smart idea.

-------------------------------

How come Gypsas, who are based upon wasps, are said to die after delivering a sting like their cousins the Miaxi? This seems unlikely, as their description mentions them being able to sting with a secondary shrinking poison multiple times.

As far as I know, only bees die after delivering one due to the shape of the stinger causing them to be stuck to the point where the attached internal organs are pulled out as the bee tugs itself free. Wasps don't suffer from this as they have a differently shaped stinger, which is why they are capable of stinging someone/something multiple times.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 pm

but wouldnt something like compressed plasma rounds *refer to halo first strike* cause serious damage>.< espeacily if the race was as advance or more advance than the forerunners would the weapons they would have would seem like heavy hitting to Felarayan Military units while to their race would seem like light infantry weapons when compared to their own military units and heavy weapons. even through the "infantry" weapon has the ablity to take down a M1A1 MBT. in 3 or so shots on a moderate energy range zone ( reference ,go to Black Hole Fragment for further details)
Or wouldnt something like the Partical beam rifle still do serious harm even through the round is small but highly penatriating and would therory enter the pred and exit the pred?

( i think this needs to be taken to the chat box so we can talk in real time and so i can get my bro to frecking stop asking me to ask you these things >.<)
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:30 am

luke112 wrote:
but wouldnt something like compressed plasma rounds *refer to halo first strike* cause serious damage>.<
Simple physics generally dictates that if you want a plasma shot to have comparable damage to a solid shot, it must transfer a similar amount of energy. This means you must first generate that energy, so plasma weapons first require extremely powerful and efficient generators.

Plasma is actually not that good of a weapon against beings mostly made of water, since they work by heating things up, and water has a high specific heat (how much energy is required to raise its temperature by a certain amount.).

luke112 wrote:

espeacily if the race was as advance or more advance than the forerunners would the weapons they would have would seem like heavy hitting to Felarayan Military units while to their race would seem like light infantry weapons when compared to their own military units and heavy weapons. even through the "infantry" weapon has the ablity to take down a M1A1 MBT. in 3 or so shots on a moderate energy range zone ( reference ,go to Black Hole Fragment for further details)
I think you should read the guideline for Felarya, specifically the bits about overpowered characters. A "more advanced than the forerunners" civilization with "light infantry weapons that can take down a main battle tank in three shots" veers dangerously close (at least in my opinion) to a sort of Mary-Sue/Uber-Powerful-Character sort of mix.

Or, to be frank; a civilization that is advanced enough that their infantry carry weapons that can trivially destroy battle tanks would decimate everything and anything they could find in Felarya, with very few exceptions. But such a civilization both goes against the style of Felarya, and is boring to read about*.
1. It goes against the style of Felarya, because Felarya is supposed to be a dangerous place. With weapons that powerful, it is no longer dangerous.
2. It is boring to read about, because every difficultly they face is trivial to solve. Being threatened by a giant naga? Have just one of the infantryman shoot it once or twice. Problem solved. Being threatened by dozens of them? Ask the same infantryman to shoot them a little more rapidly. Problem solved. Being threatened by an army of them? Have the infantrymen's buddies join in. Problem solved. Running out of food and water? Go raid a nearby village; you can take it by force since they certainly don't have anything to stop you with. Problem solved.

When you have that much power, almost everything has the trivial solution of "use your huge amount of power to get what you want." And that's boring to read about.

luke112 wrote:
Or wouldnt something like the Partical beam rifle still do serious harm even through the round is small but highly penatriating and would therory enter the pred and exit the pred?
No, actually the major problem when using human weapons against predators is not that the projectiles do not penetrate far enough (an unmodified AK-47 can hit some of the pred's vital organs if fired from a close distance); it is that they simply do not do enough damage. For example, consider a 9mm bullet hitting a human in the torso, passing through one of the lungs and out the back, but not hitting a major artery in the lung. Assuming they apply some pressure to that wound, it is not likely that they will die from it, because the small open blood vessels will clot (so they won't bleed out), and even if that lung is entirely disabled, the person still has a second, fully functioning one to fall back on. (They might die of infection though). Scale that 9mm bullet up to predator size, and you will see that it has a diameter measured in FEET, not millimeters. So in order to do similar or greater levels of damage, one will need to create a hole with about the same diameter. But your 9mm pistol will still just create a small hole in the predator, just like it would in a person.

A particle beam rifle powerful enough to go entirely through a predator, but with a beam diameter of say an 1/8th of an inch would be the equivalent of stabbing a human with a long needle thinner than any needle found in a sewing kit. It might pierce arteries and veins, but the holes it would produce would instantly clot.

*-Actually, there are ways to make Uber Powerful Characters/Civilizations interesting to read about, but they are trickier to write and generally focus on something the UPC is not uber at, or by adding "chains" to the UPC to being them back under control.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 am

Quote :
No, actually the major problem when using human weapons against predators is not that the projectiles do not penetrate far enough (an unmodified AK-47 can hit some of the pred's vital organs if fired from a close distance); it is that they simply do not do enough damage. For example, consider a 9mm bullet hitting a human in the torso, passing through one of the lungs and out the back, but not hitting a major artery in the lung. Assuming they apply some pressure to that wound, it is not likely that they will die from it, because the small open blood vessels will clot (so they won't bleed out), and even if that lung is entirely disabled, the person still has a second, fully functioning one to fall back on. (They might die of infection though). Scale that 9mm bullet up to predator size, and you will see that it has a diameter measured in FEET, not millimeters. So in order to do similar or greater levels of damage, one will need to create a hole with about the same diameter. But your 9mm pistol will still just create a small hole in the predator, just like it would in a person.

A particle beam rifle powerful enough to go entirely through a predator, but with a beam diameter of say an 1/8th of an inch would be the equivalent of stabbing a human with a long needle thinner than any needle found in a sewing kit. It might pierce arteries and veins, but the holes it would produce would instantly clot.
I must get this out of the way, I have a group of technologically advanced humans who use gauss weaponry as their main armaments. To give an idea of the size of their projectiles, their equivalent to the 5.56 NATO is a 3 mm wide x 60 mm long depleted U-238 needle. What I get from your statement is that it wouldn't be all that effective even against a human, let alone a predator, since the round diameter is so tiny.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Quote :

I must get this out of the way, I have a group of technologically advanced humans who use gauss weaponry as their main armaments. To give an idea of the size of their projectiles, their equivalent to the 5.56 NATO is a 3 mm wide x 60 mm long depleted U-238 needle. What I get from your statement is that it wouldn't be all that effective even against a human, let alone a predator, since the round diameter is so tiny.

That is the downside to gauss-guns/railguns. They're really only effective against armor. If you use them against a fleshy target, they tend to just pierce straight through instead of discharging their energy on the target itself. Also, their effectiveness is dependent on being able to generate enough power to propel the projectile at extreme speeds. You generally can't pack that kind of power source into a handheld infantry weapon, and if you could, the output would be so low that it would not be much better than a standard firearm.

Keep in mind, force = mass x acceleration. You can have something go really fast, but if it doesn't have a lot of mass, it isn't going to deliever much force (exceptions include micro-meteorites since they are travelling at astronomical speeds). I think math would have to be done on your weapon to determine how much force it delievers. The effects of a kinetic weapon really do depend on the speed and mass of the projectile.

Also, Luke, infantry weapons that could easily kill a main battle tank are just impractical. People would just stop making tanks, and then the weapon would be completely useless, since anti-tank weapons generally are not good against infantry. Also, not even some of the more military-focused sci-fi settings have weapons that unbalanced. It isn't like a space marine can go up and kill a Leman-Russ tank with his bolter.

But yeah, as an energy weapon it falls into the same trap as lasers and beam weaponry. You cannot have a power source that small generate that much power. The smallest thing you could mount that kind of weapon on would probably be another tank.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 7:51 am

Given that most of their foes use armor, I guess that's not that big of a deal, and I usually handwave how it works by saying that their technology is advanced enough to propel a uranium needle at Mach 2 out of an assault rifle. Granted, if they wanted to kill a giant predator for whatever reason, they wouldn't even bother with the rifle, they'd just go straight for the anti-tank missiles, so I guess my problem is inconsequential.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:

3mm width isn't that much smaller than 5.56mm, I certainly wouldn't want a 3mm hole punched in me.

Make it so that their anti-personal needles tumble/fragment/mushroom after impact; all of those will decrease penetration depth and increase wound channel size (because all of those increase the drag). Fragmenting in particular could be really nasty and effective, like a shotgun blast at point blank range. Fragmenting would probably be good against humans, but some sort of mushrooming would probably be better against giants, because you will need significant amounts of penetration to damage a giant's vital organs, and even at mach 2 I think a fragmenting round would slow down too much.

It occurred to me to do some math, and here is how it works out.
I assume your bullets to be cylinders, not needles, for ease of computation. This overstates their mass by some amount, and thus increases the total energy they have to work with. A width of 3mm and a length of 60mm translates into a radius of 1.5mm (0.0015 m) and a length of 60mm (0.06 m). The volume of a cylinder is "Volume = pi * radius^2 * length", so your needles have a volume of 4.24 * 10^-7 m^3 (0.000000424 cubic meters). The density of uranium is 19.1 grams per cubic centimeter, which is equal to 19100 kilograms per cubic meter, so the mass of your needles is "volume * density" which is 0.00810059 kg (8.1 grams). The speed of sound is 343.2 meters per second, and Mach 2 is twice that, so the velocity they are traveling is 686.4 meters per second. The kinetic energy of a projectile that is traveling well under the speed of light is "1/2 * mass * velocity^2", so your needles have a kinetic energy of 1908.27 joules at the muzzle. For reference 5.56 × 45 mm (NATO)(M16 uses these) rounds have a muzzle energy of 1,796 joules, and 7.62 × 39 mm rounds (the type the AK-47 fires) have a muzzle energy of 2,070, so the amount of damage you can do is more or less the same as the amount of damage an AK-47 or M16 shot can do (though since you are using depleted uranium, your standard shots will be pretty decent at penetrating armor, and less good at damaging soft targets).

Interestingly, the AK-47 fires its bullets FASTER than Mach 2, and the M16 fires at Mach 2.7, so you might want to increase the speed at which the needles travel, or else your statement "I usually handwave how it works by saying that their technology is advanced enough to propel a uranium needle at Mach 2 out of an assault rifle." is equivalent to saying "Their technology is as advanced as 1949 Earth technology." (I know, not entirely fair because the Earth guns use chemical reactions to work and your dudes use gauss guns, but still...)(Also a fast speed means less bullet drop over a given distance, making it easier to aim at a distance.)
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Well I know nothing about usual bullet velocity, so I should probably remove any mention of velocity to make things easier on myself. Also, they don't usually use frag rounds, just solid projectiles for penetrating armor, because their foes are usually armored, and they're designed to penetrate that armor. Although infantry soldiers sometimes come packing with explosive rounds. Also, the projectiles are shaped like flechettes without the little fin the back.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Actually, I remember that Mickilla had specs for a similar weapon on DA. I pointed out that a needle wouldn't cause much hydrostatic shock and thus wouldn't be very effective, as it'd probably just sail right through. We pretty much agreed that the tip would be made of a harder material than the body, so mere milliseconds after it penetrated, the shock would cause the body to fragment into sharp metal shards and cause damage similar to a hollow-point round.

http://mickilla.deviantart.com/#/d2z3kzt

There it is. Now look about halfway down the comments to the conversation he and I had, and that should help.
Back to top Go down
Tuc135
Hero
Hero
Tuc135

Location : Chances are between someone's esophagus and duodenum

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Just had an idea that I wanted to see your thoughts on. And it kinda ties into the discussion about using bullets on preds. I was thinking, rather than seeking to do physical damage, what if the bullets were just used as delivery mechanisms. Like, if they were hollowed out and filled with a paralyzing medicine or toxin. Is that feasible?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Tuc135 wrote:
Just had an idea that I wanted to see your thoughts on. And it kinda ties into the discussion about using bullets on preds. I was thinking, rather than seeking to do physical damage, what if the bullets were just used as delivery mechanisms. Like, if they were hollowed out and filled with a paralyzing medicine or toxin. Is that feasible?

Considering how much of a toxin it would take to affect a 150ft tall giant animal, I don't see how it could be practical. Bullets wouldn't be able to hold much of it, and you'd still need to be able to deliver it to the pred's bloodstream, which would require a decent amount of penetration.

There's also the logistics of it to consider to. How would you synthesize such large amounts of a chemical?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next