Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bandits & Organized Crime

Go down 
+8
Shady Knight
ravaging vixen
Karbo
Malahite
dragonjaj
rcs619
Anime-Junkie
TheLightLost
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 5:09 pm

The internal escurity asspect of Negav is one of the main things that interests me, as if my own story hasn't already hinted at that. I think rcs619 and AJ make a very valid point about the lack of major crime organisations, Negav is more of a police state than a friendly democracy, major crime would be stopped before it became too powerful while lesser crimes go unnoticed or fall through the cracks. You could almost describe the native Negav population as been somewhat brutalised; the treatment of criminals will be harsh, and sometimes the policing units will go too far, this could lead to black lash from the overal population. Think of it as you would Chechnya; the Russian backed security forces and government are very effective at what they do but banditry is still a major problem. It's not that the security forces are bad at their jobs its just that it is so wide spread and the locals are somewhat dehumanised by the brutal reprisals so they either don't care or just lash out.

Now lets turn this subject on its head a bit. The security/intelligence agency I came up with, the Investigators would deal with security issues such as powerful organised crime or mages who stepped out of line. Yet the methods they use while effective aren't exactly friendly; falling foul of them is something you may not live to regret. So imgaine what a newcomer must think when they see the security organisations acting in what they may call a criminal manner.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Deleted NOOB post... Nothing to see here... move along!

Last edited by gt500x on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Hmm, this seems to present a huge conundrum for my stories now that Ive seen this. This may be a completely different change in topic, but its something that I may need to know.

A small organization like my Draon Keepers wouldnt survive for very long in Felarya, a thought came to me that they would spend some time gathering up small groups of bandits and using them as payment for a giant predator to either leave them alone or give them information. Now given that the Keepers arent bandits themselves, they just use the method as a way to survive.

I havent gone too deep in this, since Im unsure how this will turn out

What becomes of this Idea is crucial to how my story will turn out... feedback would be most appreciated (and I may get defensive, but I am listening)
Back to top Go down
http://foreverknight13.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Ahhhh, you've resurrected one of my noob threads! This thread was even worse than the stuff I post now!

Gotta delete all my posts in this thread ASAP!
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

Location : In the land of nowhere, beyond the valley of somewhere, but not as far as the jungle of neither-here-nor-there....

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:45 pm

gt500x wrote:

Gotta delete all my posts in this thread ASAP!

heyheyheyhey, there is no need for that. your threads really got me thinking in ways not done in the past. Keep them around, it will definately give me some Ideas of my own to tinker with.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Sorry, I panicked and deleted all my posts already. I'm willing to think of something new though.
Back to top Go down
Axel Hunter
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Axel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

oh well. I havent read them all myself... do you remember what some of them were, I may be able to think of something...
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Sadly, or not so, I don't remember much. I was too busy trying to forget my many noob threads.

I believe the general idea behind the ... Hidden Hand (I remember the name now) was that they were a group that basically stuck their hands in any and all forms of illicit activities in and around Felarya, or as far as they could spread. Nothing epic yet. In Negav, they would be involved in just about everything as long as they didn't draw the interest of the Investigators.

I remember their leader had a Morpheus-ness about him. (the Morpheus from The Matrix, of course)
Back to top Go down
ScoobyofDoo
Tasty morsel

Location : Taking a stroll through a strange grove... wait do those bushes have teeth!!!

PostSubject: An idea for a syndicate   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm

I have an idea for a crime syndicate operating out of Negav here is a description of there characteristics and the operations they involve themselves in:

The Que'dan is rumored to be in charge of the black market and to have connections within the Negav government itself, & is one of the foremost organized crime operations within Negav. They are the leaders and organizers of the
largest smuggling ring in Felarya, buying, selling, trading, and stealing anything and everything they can get their hands on and selling it at an extremely high price on the black market. They are incredibly well equipped due to there black market connections, which give them access to powerful magic items and artifacts (those not seized by there government backers at least) and the cutting edge in technology. They are lead by a mysterious group of individuals only known as the "Board" which is thought to be composed of crime lords and government officials, who run Negav's black market, running there operation akin to a corporation. There decisions being passed down to so called "managers for execution . Enemies of this organization soon find themselves having to deal with random police raids, not to mention strangely appearing financial troubles. However some of the most disturbing rumors are those of specially trained and equipped "Kill Squads" which are said to be sent only on the most dangerous and lucrative missions or even against only the most powerful and hated of enemies, these squads are ready and willing to do whatever is necessary to get the job done. This organization has been known to do very well planned and secretive operations in order to get what they want, some of the most infamous and feared of these are the infiltration missions carried out by the group. These missions have members of the organization join adventuring groups heading to places in order to retrieve powerful artifacts/ treasure. Once the treasure is secured the organizations members within the group will turn on there previous comrades and attempt to murder them and seize the treasure for the Que'dan. These double agents will then receive a portion of the treasure in exchange for their services, and then given their next assignment. Finally the organization in order to get new members and to avoid betrayals only takes the most secretive and skilled members it can find as someone who isn't that well known will not be able to spoil the entire operation.

Well there it is hope you guys like it Smile
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 24, 2012 7:13 am

Well, there are a few things that don't go well with your idea, ScoobyofDoo.

First, the black market. It's there because of two things; you buy or sell tax free objects or you buy or sell illegal or hard-to-come-by stuff. If they smuggle, steal and such, they can't sell those things at an extremelly high price in the black market, since most of those would be common things and they would fetch a very good price in normal merchants. Just because the black market is theirs, doesn't mean they can freely set the prices.
Also, managing the black market is kinda difficult. It's not like the black amrket is an organization, but a gathering of shady people that offer their wares. If they are met with hard rules or pressure, they would just gather elsewhere and leave the organization to rot with their stupid management policies. You can say they have a lot of presence in there, but I think "managing the black market" is close to impossible.

I don't like the "government officials" and they controlling police and economy either. Police is corrupt, but not to an extent where they can be controlled without the magiocrats noticing. They should just stick to have police not meddle into their affairs, at most. Controlling economy makes them being noticed as well. How can you make a financial problem appear out of thin air? Unless you have infiltrated into the other organisation and modified their accounting for them to believe they have more money than what there really is, or actually robbed their funds, it's very unlikely to make such problems arise without suspicion. It sounds good when written, but it's pretty difficult to do.

The "kill squads" seem to be the type to attract a lot of attention too. And the recruitment part seems to be a bit vague. "Only the most secretive ans skilled members". Members of what? Also, go find new people and test their skills without giving yourself away, specially if they are as skilled as you say.

The idea itself isn't bad, I'm also making a big organization within Negav, but the pillars of your idea seem to be kinda misplaced. You want it to be too big and awesome, but the key or criminal organizations is secrecy and adaptivity. Awesomeness can have serious drawbacks.
Back to top Go down
ScoobyofDoo
Tasty morsel

Location : Taking a stroll through a strange grove... wait do those bushes have teeth!!!

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 am

You have a good points i seemed to have forgotten that when something has its hands in everything it tends to be rather well known Smile. I also was thinking about the kill squads causing to much attention but i imagined that they would be like black ops teams, always taking out targets and doing missions in secrecy but as you said when someone of high important dies/ goes missing that also attracts a lot of attention not to mention investigations. Well ill try to either downsize the organization or just take the parts that seem to work and come up with new ideas from them... Thanks again for this critique.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 11:54 am

If I may drive Ilceren's point home in a quite off-kilter manner, is that world domination is rather hard to pull off if everyone knows you're doing it.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bandits & Organized Crime   Bandits & Organized Crime - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bandits & Organized Crime
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: New ideas-
Jump to: