Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warp Beast

Go down 
+5
Archmage_Bael
AisuKaiko
Malahite
ZionAtriedes
Shady Knight
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Warp Beast

Size: 2-3 feet
Threat: Low when alive, Special when dead
Location: Miragia Forest, Deeper Felarya, Dungeons and Caves, Anywhere that isn't under direct sunlight.

Description

The Warp Beast is a peculiar creature that has fascinated both mages and scientists alike, as well as caused the demise of many adventures/slash expeditions. It stands at roughly the height of a medium-sized dog, if slightly higher, and has brightly colored skin. The exact color of its skin is never consistent and tend to match those of its environment. The Warp Beast has hooves, ears and a horn similar to a rhinoceros, although it possess the tail of a wild boar, a massive head with an equally imposing maw, and lizard eyes.

The Warp Beast is found in virtually any area throughout the known parts of Felarya. It never appear in areas under direct sunlight, such as open plains, and even in zones such as forests, caves and dungeons, it is very rare to come across one. They are omnivorous and scavengers, usually eating whatever it comes across, such as fruits and tiny animals, and feasting on the remains left by larger beasts. While not a territorial beast, it will use its horn to defend itself if threatened. Warp Beasts are among the most intelligent animals recorded. It tends to run away from large creatures and from armed humanoids. It will even try to avoid anything three times its size and larger.

While they are rarely a threat to a group of adventurers, even inexperienced ones, it all changes upon death. Its name come from its unique ability. When a Warp Beast is killed, it doesn't simply die; it actually turns into a portal. The portal will vacuum whatever creature is nearby, similar to a black hole, and transport the unlucky victim to another location in Felarya. The location itself is a complete mystery, although studies have revealed that the portal actually connects somewhere in Felarya, so if an entire party is sucked up, they will all end up in the same location. The Warp Beast possess the ability to create portals when alive, although these are much less dangerous and mostly appear when the beast is fleeing from danger. This is why you can encounter Warp Beasts virtually anywhere in Felarya.

The greatest danger of this portal is that it can transport someone virtually anywhere in Felarya. In the best case scenario, you may be transported somewhere safe, such as inside Negav's walls (though it almost always results in an awkward situation), but the most likely scenario is being whisked in the middle of nowhere. In the worst case scenario, you may appear in the most dangerous locations possible, such as inside a Dryad's stomach, at the bottom of the sea, or in the middle of a Harpy flock. Oddly, it never seem to transport its victim inside solid matter, such as inside a solid metal wall.

The worst part of Warp Beasts is that its skin is incredibly sensitive, hence why it never appear under direct sunlight, so it is very easy to kill. In the event someone accidentally kills a Warp Beast, the best way to avoid being dragged in the vortex (assuming you didn't kill it with a melee weapon) is to take cover behind something firmly planted in the ground, such as a boulder or a tree. While the pull itself has fairly good range, it isn't very strong against such objects. The portal closes in less than a minute on average, and the longest lasting one ever recorded was ninety seconds.

Other strange traits about the portal that have been discovered is where it first manifested. In zones where dimensional anomalies are common, the portal has a chance to transport its victim to a different world, albeit a random one. This can be good or bad, as you can potentially end up somewhere safe and has the ability to connect to one of the great gates, but you can also become trapped on an alien planet with no hope of survival.

Giant predators tend not to eat Warp Beasts, as when they are digested, the predator's stomach act as a temporary warp gate, so whatever she eats will immediately escape her belly. This tends to last much longer than the usual portal, but its duration is rarely more than a few hours.

Last edited by Sean Okotami on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:53 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
The portal will vacuum whatever creature is nearby, similar to a black hole
Common misconception. Black holes don't act like vacuums at all, and in fact usually have less gravitational pull than the average star due to their reduced size. The myth arises from the fact that the pull is inescapable for any matter or energy that passes the event horizon, due to the black hole's density.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions#Astronomy

Off-topic nitpicking aside, I think this is a decent and well fleshed-out idea. Of course, there's the usual random-teleportation concerns: the chance of ending up colliding with solid matter upon re-entry, etc.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm

I actually know about the black hole, but I didn't know how else to describe it otherwise. Think of it as an analogy.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 7:57 pm

One thing I find a bit off is that apparently the pull is strong enough to suck up hundred-plus kilogram people without much issue, but isn't the least bit harmful to a Giant Predator when going off inside their stomach.

Of course, the alternative of making a Giant Predator "Blink" when eating one doesn't seem much better. And the other alternative (it can suck in parts of a Giant Predator... but not all of them) is a damn sight more "doesn't seem much better".

Besides that, the only thing I can really think of addressing is why the portal has such a suction capability. Perhaps the more common result is "Portal opens, not much else", but most people tend to ignore it (since portals are already sorta-common on Felarya in the wild) when it isn't connecting to some place that has a higher or lower atmospheric pressure (which could add some more variety to it: Kill a Warp Beast, Water Cannon to the Face).

Very interesting idea.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm

The portal sucking up is there so there's an element of danger. As you stated, if it only opened a portal, people would just ignore it, unless they're incredibly curious or stupid. The thing is that you absolutely must not kill this beast, or else you are doomed, and if all it result is a gate, then there's no real danger since it's up to you wether you go through the gate or not.

As for the predator, I dicussed this with AJ and I asked about just teleporting the predator to a random point, but he prefered the stomach being a warp gate, maybe because he found it funnier. I completely ignored the "Predator would collapse upon itself and die" possibility, because it would be just too damn gruesome.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Ah yes, certainly a fun concept. Oh man, I can imagine the danger of possibly being warped into a hostile environment, but could you imagine being teleported 10,000 feet above the ground? Or right over a pool of lava? That's some nightmare fuel right there...

Sounds fun... in a scary way
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 pm

haha yeah. *pop* "oh...hi nemyra. ...fuck."

but seriously, it's an interesting idea. i think a lot of preds will be slithering around feeling queasy about swallowing one of those things, but if you dont want them to harm stomach's there could be properties incorporated with the vortexes themselves.

I can imagine these living in the Shatterock Caldera/Abyssal Forest (bigger ones at least)
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
The portal sucking up is there so there's an element of danger. As you stated, if it only opened a portal, people would just ignore it, unless they're incredibly curious or stupid.
For the most part. Hence the suggestion of air pressure and the like: You could achieve suction-like effects without the suction being magical in nature.

Sean Okotami wrote:
The thing is that you absolutely must not kill this beast, or else you are doomed, and if all it result is a gate, then there's no real danger since it's up to you wether you go through the gate or not.
About how large could it suck something up, before instead just sitting there and possibly causing cramps? Spine Beetle? Kensha Beasts? 40'+?

Also, if I'm getting this right, the portal is magically related, so - while it could theoretically send you most places - it could not send you into something that is highly resistant / immune to magic (Ex: A magical "dead zone", inside some certain Giant Predators / characters bodies', etcetera)?

Sean Okotami wrote:
As for the predator, I dicussed this with AJ and I asked about just teleporting the predator to a random point, but he prefered the stomach being a warp gate, maybe because he found it funnier.
It also leads to problems like "What happens if it Teleports into Negav?" I'd imagine it would be something like being fired out of a pressure cannon to the Predator (Predator appears some point above the city so as to not form in solid matter... then is flung through the air at very high speeds as the nature of the Crystal takes hold).

It's interesting to consider "blinking" Giant Predators, but the mechanics work a slight bit different when the thing you're moving could match some office buildings in size.

Sean Okotami wrote:
I completely ignored the "Predator would collapse upon itself and die" possibility, because it would be just too damn gruesome.
To be fair, "Teleported into Giant Predator to be suffocated / digested alive" isn't much better. lol! I see your point, though, hence the whole "doesn't really fit in with Felarya".
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Malahite wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:
As for the predator, I dicussed this with AJ and I asked about just teleporting the predator to a random point, but he prefered the stomach being a warp gate, maybe because he found it funnier.
It also leads to problems like "What happens if it Teleports into Negav?" I'd imagine it would be something like being fired out of a pressure cannon to the Predator (Predator appears some point above the city so as to not form in solid matter... then is flung through the air at very high speeds as the nature of the Crystal takes hold).

See? Funnier! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:45 am

I don't see what you are complaining about. It doesn't matter if it's magical suction or air-pressure. You kill the beast, the portal tries to suck you in. How it does that isn't important in the slightest.

Spine creatures around the size of spine beetles, or around 12 ft tall AND wide would be the absolute max. For dead zones, no, it could still send you there, just to give Mages something that they can't solve by casting Teleport.

I also added a little something in the description, so it never seems to transport you into solid matter, just to stave off any more mention of it. Also, the eye only cause pain and doesn't fling. Karbo made an example: if Crisis were to get in the middle of the city and the Eye suddenly began to work, she'd die because of the sheer stress of pain.

I also hate the whole "digested alive ain't much better" argument, since it's probably the single most hypocritical argument in this entire forum. If you bring that up, why are you even part of this forum?
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 am

It's a nice idea, but again I'm not fond of warping and portals being readily available to the wildlife.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:34 am

Sean Okotami wrote:

I also hate the whole "digested alive ain't much better" argument, since it's probably the single most hypocritical argument in this entire forum. If you bring that up, why are you even part of this forum?

How is this hypocritical?! Hypocrisy is agreeing or disagreeing with something while being fine or against something essentially the same.

It is hypocritical to assume that digestion is "nicer" in some way.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 am

Just that we pretty much ignore it, then you use it as an argument to dissuade something, instead of addressing it.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 11:13 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Just that we pretty much ignore it, then you use it as an argument to dissuade something, instead of addressing it.

Who's "we"? I've never ignore this fact. Felarya is a world of various gruesome dangers.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 pm

"People die a gruesome death in a stomach, therefore stop saying that my idea is too gruesome!" That is basically that argument in an nutshell. Also, get back on topic.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I don't see what you are complaining about. It doesn't matter if it's magical suction or air-pressure. You kill the beast, the portal tries to suck you in. How it does that isn't important in the slightest.
For the most part, yeah. Just a mechanic quirk that's personal preference isn't my own: Not expecting you to drop the idea and conform to my image, just professing it.

Sean Okotami wrote:
Spine creatures around the size of spine beetles, or around 12 ft tall AND wide would be the absolute max. For dead zones, no, it could still send you there, just to give Mages something that they can't solve by casting Teleport.
So, the portals aren't magical in nature? Sure scholars are going to have a field day on this. lol!

Sean Okotami wrote:
I also added a little something in the description, so it never seems to transport you into solid matter, just to stave off any more mention of it. Also, the eye only cause pain and doesn't fling. Karbo made an example: if Crisis were to get in the middle of the city and the Eye suddenly began to work, she'd die because of the sheer stress of pain.
Ah, I was not aware of this. That would kill the whole "Rule of Funny" bit for it: Spontaneous death from sheer pain isn't funny at all Sad

Sean Okotami wrote:
Er, wait, what? Suspect I'm honestly trying to see what point you were going for here: It's not that I'm a Vorian, so it's not like I consider one death gruesome and the other not so. It's not like I'm saying only one of the two is gruesome, so it's not that. It wouldn't make deaths gruesome for only one being (if increasing the frequency for certain species, mind, so I will give you this technicality of it), so it's not there. What part, exactly, am I being hypocritical about?

All I was doing was make a quip about how it's not exactly candy and lolipops for the "Prey" sucked up in it. Hence the " lol! " at the end of it. I respect the fact that you wouldn't want it, and myself said it wouldn't be a good fit for Felarya, but I also reserve the right to make the occasional snark.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 pm

It's just that it's shrugging something by using the most common occurance of the setting. If you take these words, then it pretty much says "All we're here for is slow, painful death part," which basically says "We're all sadists here."
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
It's just that it's shrugging something by using the most common occurance of the setting. If you take these words, then it pretty much says "All we're here for is slow, painful death part," which basically says "We're all sadists here."
No, it says we're vorarephiles that prefer to ignore the realistic aspects of the vore fantasy. Which is pretty true, if I'm not mistaken.

The question becomes whether or not we really intend on fleshing out Felarya to be a semi-believable fantasy world. If yes, then some gruesomeness is going to occur. In fact, it's already there. Let's pull up the wiki, shall we?

Look at the carnivorous plants of Felarya. The Arch Devil plant may actually imprison prey within a second stomach while the first digests: cruel, gruesome, horrific and monstrous entrapment; in which each minute spent would be full of dread and despair. The Devil's Thorn plant grows within a victim while they're still alive!

Now, for our non-sentient predators. Kensha beasts are probably more into the hard vore than we'd like to admit, and of course there's the various insects which we all know are just awful. Bloodclaw apes just revel in destruction. Etcetera, etcetera, I could go on, but I'm getting tired of looking for these examples.

But what about everyone's favorites, the beautiful femme fatale predators themselves? Oh, they're the worst. Despite being capable of speech and rational thought, they consume other sentients in a way that leaves them in a state of pain and fear until they finally pass out from agony, or the acid just burns through their eyeballs and into their brain. Not only this, but most predators take pleasure in the desperate struggles of their victims; enjoying the futile attempts at communication of a thinking and caring human being trying to escape and live another day. Put in that light, it's extremely sadistic.

It's about the viewpoint. I'm not trying to "call out" Karbo or any fan of his works, because that would make me a hypocrite. What I'm trying to say is that you should be prepared to see in from another angle, and don't be offended when someone points out the obvious dark side of Felarya and vore in general. I think it's healthy for us to at least take a look at that dark side, and embrace it, and view it as yet another aspect of a complicated fantasy world that's about more than getting off on a vore fetish.

I specifically remember when one person on DA was attacking Karbo and other Felarya community members for this very same thing. I remember it because, despite the differences between myself and certain members of the community, a few members I had recently had a dispute with came to me asking for me to reason with this person (apparently because he was a "Christian loony" like me). I didn't change his mind, and I never intended to, but I had at least succeeded in convincing him to shut up about it.

Since I'm getting a little tl;dr, I should wrap this up with a closing statement: realize that even if you like to ignore the gruesome, but real, aspects of Felarya; don't expect everyone else to. Just be willing to listen and consider every point of view. AND LET US GET BACK ON TOPIC.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:34 pm

All that aside, yes I think the Warp Beast is a wonderful idea. The only thing that really comes up is the frequency of portals that happen throughout Felarya, granted that just supports it's...unstability? Cant find the right word for felarya's nature. (because it's quite stable, just with a lot of dimensional fluctations, for lack of a better phrase)
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Closing statement: anytime it's been brought up, it's been used to ignore something rather than adress it. Now back on-topic.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 3:09 am

I think it's definitely an interesting creature that could have its place in Miragia forest ^^
My main remark is that if they create a portal upon their death, it's an aspect that should be visible during their lives too. Like an ability they use - but much more harmless or discreete - that somehow justify it
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 6:54 am

It was based on a creature in Torchlight that appears rarely in the later dungeons. The gist is that if you killed it, it opened a portal to a tiny sub-area where you can rack-up extra money and XP. I really don't know what they could use that portal for aside from getting away from danger.

I editted the main post as to include the ability to create a much less dangerous portal when alive, which would also explain why you can find the creature virtually anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Warp Beast Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warp Beast   Warp Beast Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warp Beast
Page 1 of 1