Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society

Go down 
+7
ravaging vixen
gwadahunter2222
Shady Knight
Pendragon
rcs619
Anime-Junkie
JonathanS223
11 posters
AuthorMessage
JonathanS223
Helpless prey
JonathanS223

IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Empty
PostSubject: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 am

I wrote out the following to try to get some more information on present Dridders brought up and discussed since my character Hannah is based in this time and I'd like to be as accurate as possible. Wink

~~~~

Dridder culture focuses of an advanced for of Tribalism where Dridders form themselves in to clans which defend there territories extremely efficiently. A calculating and methodical race, Dridders have had a dark reputation for their abilities in war and also their treatment of prisoners.

SOCIAL:

Social customs of the Dridders vary between clans though there are some distinct features that may come down from the original empire. Most clans don't care about each other, but for genetic diversity, Mating Treaties have been organized in to a set of rules to govern how each clan speaks with each other in regards to this sensitive topic.

A lot of Dridders consider the topic sensitive because there clan survival relies on good strong mating pairs. These negotiations can take weeks working out who will breed with who and what benefits and disadvantages they will get. Some clans will negotiate extra items and treasures to compensate for their request of a stronger mate that they could not fairy trade for.

Many wars have also broken out when these treaties were thought to be breached.

CULTURE:

Dridder culture has changed drastically after the collapse of Queen Sineria's Empire. Some of the items that have survived are design patterns, stories, and many little items from their old times.

[bTRIBES:[/b]

It is believed that after the fall of the Sinerian Empire, the Dridders broke up in to Tries, groups of dridders that bonded together in survival. Tribes are not dridder specific, being simply a dridder claiming the rites and the rules of his or her specific clan.

Tribes are broken up in to Clans and then in to families, each with their own unique web pattern to represent them. Clans have been known to go to war over territory and food making them exceptionally skilled fighters.

There are three known settlements of Dridders that are considered neutral territory and respect by all clans. Duridikia, Netika, and Vyblini. A place of trade, commerce, and political talk. These places have much history of great clans settling their differences under a flag of truce.

There are estimated seven major clans and the included map is as best guess of their borders.

MAP OF KNOWN DRIDDER TRIBES:

IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Dridder_forest

Last edited by JonathanS223 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit to reflect the error Anime-Junkie pointed out.)
Back to top Go down
http://jonathans223.deviantart.com/gallery/27645345
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 am

Quote :
Clans are broken up in to sub-clans and then in to families, each with their own unique web pattern to represent them.

Your terminology is incorrect. A tribe is made of clans. Clans are made of families.

As for the rest, I see nothing glaringly wrong with it, however I haven't read a huge deal of stories involving it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:28 am

Hmmm, you know...this really isn't too much different that what I always kind of thought.

If the Guardians followed their usual tactics for dealing with a group that has gotten out of hand (see also: Ur-Sagol), then I always found it likely that after Sineria was taken out of the picture, the core of the Dridder Empire was shattered, scattering its people to the wind. It makes sense that different groups would crop up in the wake of that and gradually grow into various tribes and factions.

Quote :
Social customs of the Dridders vary between clans though there are some distinct features that may come down from the original empire. Most clans don't care about each other, but for genetic diversity, Mating Treaties have been organized in to a set of rules to govern how each clan speaks with each other in regards to this sensitive topic.

Genetic diversity could be a possibility, but I wouldn't put personal/family gain out of the picture too. I could see some unions being very political in nature, with both families, or even tribes, getting something out of the deal. Kind of like some of the political marriages that occured throughout Europe's history. Assuming they are the shattered remnants of the Dridder Empire, and given the importance of various families within the tribes, I could definately see powerful families in each tribe forming a sort of upper-class. They would probably be the most common users of inter-tribal unions. They wouldn't want their children to mate with lower-tier families afterall. Gotta keep that family line as respectable as possible =P

Genetic diversity isn't as vital an issue in Felarya as it is on Earth, because everyone in Felarya is immortal unless killed. That can certainly be a concern, but I could definately see it taking second-place to the potential political benefits. Dridders are one of the few pred races that actually builds things, and even forges weapons and armor. Resources would be very important to them, and I figure there would be a lot of political games going on to form trade agreements and such for those resources.

Quote :
Dridder culture has changed drastically after the collapse of Queen Sineria's Empire. Some of the items that have survived are design patterns, stories, and many little items from their old times

Makes sense. Considering that Sineria's fall happened around the time of Ur-Sagol, their Empire has been dead for quite a while. You would have some remnants though. Ruins, bits of technology (May explain how they know how to forge armor and weapons), maybe some books and such. It would be an interesting mis-mash of the tribal aspects alongside leftovers from their long-dead Empire.

Quote :
There are three known settlements of Dridders that are considered neutral territory and respect by all clans. Duridikia, Netika, and Vyblini. A place of trade, commerce, and political talk. These places have much history of great clans settling their differences under a flag of truce.

That is actually an interesting idea. Maybe these three settlements are considered neutral because they have been built amongst the ruins of three of the old Empire's great cities. Kind of a reminder of the past, never properly rebuilt due to fears of being crushed again by the Guardians. Plus it would provide some interesting imagery. Representatives from the various Dridder tribes, meeting and discussing things in the ruins of these long-dead and abandoned settlements.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:33 am

Yes, this would seem to describe the current dridder situation to a tea.

It's also why I don't ever visit the Dridder forest.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:54 am

I don't have much to say other than being a pretty decent idea. The Dridder forest isn't used very often and it's, I think, one of the few remnants of the Crazy Queen's Kingdom (Sineria's a queen. If she made an empire, she should be the Empress of Dridders then.) And with that, I leave you with this thought: Jive talking Dridders having a gang war. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 pm

If I can make the suggestions to set up this systems before the existence of the dridders Empire. In overall, many kingdoms pr empire were divided into clans before they get united by a powerful and charismatic leader who bring a radical change. For example, the fact they were the first to forge weapons gave them an advantage on the other tribes. After that the dominant clans founded the empire with a structured hierarchical based on the former tribal relation. ie an upper cast based on the most loyal and powerful clans allied to the royal family as the lower cast based on the defeated clans, this structural hierarchy doesn't really put an end to the former rivalry which stayed very strong, each clans competing to get the favor of the royal families. After the fall of the queen many nobles and warlords fought each other into a huge civil war where the alliance change as the day passed, during this terrible event many knowledge were lost and slowly degrading and tearing apart what was a great nations.

Are the guardians behind that? Not, really many great empires or kingdoms didn't recover their former glory due to many factors, like dissensions due to the ancestral rivalry or the difficulty to have a new charismatic leader to unify the different clans as the former leaders did before a new war arise.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Quote :
I don't have much to say other than being a pretty decent idea. The Dridder forest isn't used very often and it's, I think, one of the few remnants of the Crazy Queen's Kingdom (Sineria's a queen. If she made an empire, she should be the Empress of Dridders then.) And with that, I leave you with this thought: Jive talking Dridders having a gang war. Razz

ha ha ha ha wow Sean...On another note this makes me curious about the main 'green' land that's under negav, suggesting that if i were a adventurer/mercenary would i be more susceptible to seeing and interacting with Dridders and many other sentient residents living in and around the forest giving their name?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 2:06 pm

ravaging vixens wrote:
Quote :

ha ha ha ha wow Sean...On another note this makes me curious about the main 'green' land that's under negav, suggesting that if i were a adventurer/mercenary would i be more susceptible to seeing and interacting with Dridders and many other sentient residents living in and around the forest giving their name?

I think the green land under Negav (at least to where the dimensional gate is located) is just part of the commons, the region outside the walls, but inside the range of The Eye and the wall guns.

Hmmm, actually...and this may just be me being crazy...I could see Negav maybe having some kind of understanding with at least one of those Dridder clans, maybe the one closest to Negav. Dridders actually have some technology, at least in the sense that they make armor, weapons, tools and such. Negav is an inter-dimensional trade hub that imports insane amounts of goods and resources from other worlds. Seems like a loose trade agreement with Negav could help give that Dridder clan an edge over some of the others, without resorting to dealing with the politics of their own kind.

Lots of options for that really. It isn't like the Dridders don't have anything the Magiocrats might want. Im sure there are plenty of trinkets and artifacts scattered here and there from the old Dridder Empire that may be of value to the right people. Not to mention Dridder silk, which would be fairly rare and, I would imagine, valuable. There's also the possibility that, if its like real spider silk, it is insanely strong, and could be woven and layered into extremely tough forms of fabric armor. Would be lighter than plate or chainmail, and probably pretty stab and cut resistant if constructed properly.

I doubt this would be an open type of trade for either side though. The Dridder clan would have its pride and repuation to worry about...and the Magiocrats wouldn't want the citizans of Negav to catch wind of them trading with predators. Could be an interesting little relationship though. Just send an Isolon Fist detatchment along with the people bringing and picking up the goods to trade...to ensure no one gets double-crossed or ambushed. It would be good on the job training for newer Isolon Fist members too...getting them used to being in the wild, and not completely shitting themselves at the sight of a pred, all while still being in a relatively safe environment assuming the Dridders hold up their end of the bargain.

If you want to think of some further benefits...There could even be a program that uses some of the friendly Dridders to help train Isolon Fist soldiers and Battlemages. Let them get into a mock fight with an actual pred, give them an idea of what they are being trained to do. I think it could be a pretty interesting idea. Dridders are one of the few species I could see forming those kinds of alliances. Fairies, Harpies and the like don't have the patience or political experience to do it, and these Dridders are already used to making deals with groups they may not like (other tribes), as long as there is a benefit to them.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Now that I read your story, I understand what you mean by A place of trade, commerce, and political talk. These places have much history of great clans settling their differences under a flag of truce.
There's not going to be cities like you describe would not exist. The infrastructure, the need for cities just isn't there. The days of dridder cities are long past, this isn't the dridder empire.

Not all all dridders came from the empire anyway. It was thousands of years ago. The technology, the knowledge is mostly forgotten.
Small Trading posts, those could exist. But a city? No. A city requires farmland, building materials, an organised workforce and all that. The dridders don't have these, not now.

As for political talk, I'm not seeing much there. There are going to be lots of tribes. The space taken up by the dridder forest is larger than it appears, the current map isn't to scale. There are going to be many tribes scattered about the forest. There's no need for them to have political discussions with tribes on the other side of the forest. There just isn't that level of organisation.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Now that I read your story, I understand what you mean by A place of trade, commerce, and political talk. These places have much history of great clans settling their differences under a flag of truce.
There's not going to be cities like you describe would not exist. The infrastructure, the need for cities just isn't there. The days of dridder cities are long past, this isn't the dridder empire.

Not all all dridders came from the empire anyway. It was thousands of years ago. The technology, the knowledge is mostly forgotten.
Small Trading posts, those could exist. But a city? No. A city requires farmland, building materials, an organised workforce and all that. The dridders don't have these, not now.

As for political talk, I'm not seeing much there. There are going to be lots of tribes. The space taken up by the dridder forest is larger than it appears, the current map isn't to scale. There are going to be many tribes scattered about the forest. There's no need for them to have political discussions with tribes on the other side of the forest. There just isn't that level of organisation.

It's a bit misleading to say the Dridder Empire was "thousands of years ago, when its not even quite two thousand years.

Now, I do agree that most of the Industrial Age level tech the dridders had is probably stuck underground and lost. And yes, many dridders probably "went wild."

But I think there is room for organized tribes, though I don't think they would have the level of control here.

Really, dridder species aside, I sort of look at there being two sorts left when the Empire fell.

There are those who just went wild "back to their roots". They run around the forest naked or little clothed, probably have forgotten any prejudices the dridders had and nom little humans. They are standard Felaryan predators in many ways. No organization

Then there are those who would find such a life style far too "naga-y". There are surely still at least small communities who, regardless that they do not have the technology and sophistication of the Empire, try their hardest to hang on to a taste of it. They would wear clothes, perhaps not as nice as they used to be, but clothes still. They would try to remain organized and trade. They would likely actually be not so into eating a small human - that's a hardly fair fight! No, a real dridder runs down a naga or other larger beast, slays it and drinks the delicious innards smoothie...

(Cue old dridder with beard rambling to the little dridderlings)

Anyways, I digress. My point being, I think a few such tribes could exist, but I don't think they entire forest would be dominated by them.

For smaller organized dridders, there's also the option of moving near Negav and working as a mercenary. This allows you to have 1) a more stable life and 2) retain the warrior traditions of your ancestors. Some of these smaller dridders probably try to keep a contact with a bigger one, though this might be hard. In the Motamo Docks I'd actually picture more of the dridders, who have a history of town-living, than even nagas, who only ever advanced to the tribal stage and seemed to have even regressed from that point.

I'm rambling on this as I've been picking away and more aspects of the Empire and Dridder religion, discussing it with Asuroth.

One question though - this has become a little foggy as of late - what role did Supprozad exactly play in the Empire? It's big enough the ruins are still there, but recent suggestions suggest it was not the capital.

Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Just Bugs Me: Why is it called an Empire when it's lead by a Queen? Shouldn't it be lead by an Empress?
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 5:58 pm

think back on england sean...it was an empire and their leaderd was a "queen" by defonition
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Oh, I see. My bad then.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 6:35 pm

To be precise - England had "Kings" of an Empire up until Queen Victoria who took the title Empress - not to denote Empress of an Empire per se, but so she could be "Empress of India" as well.

Other large organizations over time that we would call empires have been ruled by "kings", "queens" or other such things.

An empires only needs to have various tributary states to a singular power base. That gives us the hint about the Dridder Empire that their leaders, or at least Sineria, tried to amass power around them.

Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Just Bugs Me: Why is it called an Empire when it's lead by a Queen? Shouldn't it be lead by an Empress?

I dunno, but didn't the King and Queen of England rule the British Empire?
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
JonathanS223
Helpless prey
JonathanS223

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Well,

In regards to my map that could be the land that the Dridder Tribe "claims", but may not have a great hold on. You know how some claim more then they can defend out of greed. Very Happy You could say the territory that the Dridder Tribes truly have a good control over in their tribalism is ALOT smaller. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://jonathans223.deviantart.com/gallery/27645345
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
One question though - this has become a little foggy as of late - what role did Supprozad exactly play in the Empire? It's big enough the ruins are still there, but recent suggestions suggest it was not the capital.

Supprozad was the capital of the empire and siege of power of Sineria yes ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Solomon
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:18 pm

I have only one question here

what are the Dridders like as a species?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Solomon, that's probably a question for the General Q & A thread.
Back to top Go down
Solomon

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:35 pm

sorry I forgot about the Q&A sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society   IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IDEA: Dridder Culture and Society
Page 1 of 1