Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rune Fairies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dante8411
Naga food

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm not really sure if I should finish my other two fairy type ideas first and post them together, but this idea's had to wait for long enough.

Rune Fairies work smarter, not harder. While other fairies simply employ their innate magic and hunt, a Rune fairy has generations of background with lawful magic. Specifically, summoning. While they may hunt for pleasure, due to the magic-augmenting runes covering their skin, they have summoning magic so potent that they can summon nearly any living thing they know of from the same plane they are on, which is essentially summoning the target twice. Once out of Felarya, and then immediately back in to their location. Most commonly, they use this power to bring humans into their possession, but it can also make them formidable opponents as they can bring forth practically any creature in the multiverse to protect themselves.
While in earlier times, they would hold a ceremony when one of their group was considered mature, tattooing them with the appropriate runes for their summoning magic to reach its full potential, more recently some fairies have been born with the markings already present.
Most Rune fairies take the time to learn Divination spells, so as to locate prey without even needing to leave their residence, but others feel that such an easy lifestyle is boring, and will instead only use their summoning for self-defense, to save themselves chases, or to "grab bag" unknown prey their predator sense can pinpoint.
Being born from an exclusive group of fairies, Rune fairies all look fairly similar. Their skin itself is typically a dusty pink, while their runes vary. Runes possessed from birth are always white, while others depend on the fairy's personal preference. In truth, the runes' colour is significant, as it affects the affinity of higher-level summons (that is, which lifeforms may be summoned with the fairy's maximum output). However, because the fairies' natural aptitude with summoning is sufficient to make its summoning prey a simple matter regardless of colour, many Rune fairies don't consider affinities at all, and simply pick their favorite colour.
A Rune fairy only requires the primary runes on her belly, arms, thighs, and back to be a superior summoner to nearly any human, but secondary runes may be put in many places over the body for additional power, with preferred spots being the palms, forehead, tops of the feet, and chest area.
Personality-wise, Rune fairies are quite eclectic, but for the most part have learned not to socialize with anyone outside of their own kind. Their kind was born of and subsists on exclusion. This does not, however, totally prevent the more playful of them from chatting with prey, even if they don't necessarily listen to the responses. It just means that gaining the respect of a Rune fairy is much harder than gaining the respect of an average predator.

Questions? Comments? GTFOs?
Back to top Go down
http://dante8411.deviantart.com/
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:06 pm

If Rune Fairies can summon any cerature on the same plane thier on, can they chose what cerature to summon, or is it random? How much of a creature do they need to know to summon it? Do they need to know much about the creature in question to summon it, or is just hearing a rumor about it enough?
Back to top Go down
Dante8411
Naga food

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:55 am

They need to know its current location and approximate size for summons from the same plane. From other planes, it works just like any other summoning. Typical Rune Fairies will use remote viewing to find prey and summon it, but less conventional ones will pick up something on their predator sense and summon it without looking for fun.
If they're after something or someone specific, then its their divination process that changes in order to find it, not the summoning.
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 am

And as promised I have found this thread and decided to comment on this. In my personal opinion this seems more well rounded then the Gateway fairy you posted recently. I would assume that these fairies started out as more of a tribe/pack and are a recently emerging species given that the runes are just recently being found on them from birth. The biggest question I have with these would be what the basic starting point for a rune fairy would be summoning wise such as how far away something can be and how large? Also would there be a way to resist being summoned or would it simply be like a canopy fairies trap that teleports a small area and not an individual? Also would the fairies born with the runes be weaker than those who had the ceremony performed on them? (As the way I see it the existence of runes on their body would simply be due to excess magic from their parent making its way to the child.) Also for summoning from different planes would they have to in some way be connected to the creature they are attempting to summon? (I ask this because in the larp that I attend we had a summoning class but in order to summon you had to know the being you wanted to summon by their real name)
Back to top Go down
Dante8411
Naga food

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 am

Individual ability varies, and fairly greatly after the runes are applied. Usually, they have to start small as anyone would, summoning from the same world already a large task, but as they develop, larger and more distant targets (not necessarily in equal inflation, as they may train specifically towards one of those improvements) become available. Any differences they have from one another in terms of ability are increased exponentially when the runes are applied.
As they are a tribe of sentient creatures, they would teach summoning the area around targets, but as targets are larger and farther away, this becomes increasingly difficult, and so most fairies have a limit after which they much use a regular summon. What's more, they still can't pass any antimagic fields or summon while within one.
Currently, those born with runes seem perfectly on par with the others, but they're newly emerging, so there isn't a very large test group yet.
Knowing names helps vastly, but isn't necessary except for extremely powerful summons. If a Rune Fairy wanted to conjure an Earth rabbit, that would be easy regardless of if she knew its name was Mr. Snuggles. If she wanted to conjure a massive, mighty-willed Void God from a world that isn't a world, she'd need every advantage she could get. Especially if it didn't want to go.
Yes, they did start as their own exclusive tribe.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Okay I am going to assume your biasing your magic off of D&D magic, because having a race that summons things would dangerous to the race its self. Outside of D&D and Japaneses video games summoning is a dangerous form of magic. Usually you have to know the name of what your summoning, the summoned being could try to resist if it didn't want to be summoned, some things like humans never could be summoned and you DIDN'T have control over the being unless you had already cut deals with said entity. There was a GOOD reason to have the magic circle down when you summoned a demon! Two other points, in Felarya there is not "lawful" magic, there is magic that follows ritualistic styles, but its not "lawful" magic as such. The D&D alignment system is not in existence in Felarya, even the Demons and Angels of the world are not wholly evil or good as it turns out. Generally only magical being could be summoned, humans strictly could not be, and summoning ones dinner is overly cheap.

One other point, divination usually refers to telling the future, scrying is usually about telling what is going on right now.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 7:30 am

Well, Dante, let me see what can we do. You said suggestions, comments, GTFO... so I'll just say whatever comes to mind.

This is a breed of fairies that uses summons instead of illusions, yes? Volk, summoning your dinner isn't cheap. We'd all been suspecting it for a while, there's no way Felarya's THAT unstable!

Summons are really cool, but this doesn't look like a race. This looks more like a good shtick for a single individual, just like your other idea. Or maybe for a tribe rather than a race, like the Crimson Maidens- but not everyone here is a fan of summons like us. And without the summons, those fairies have nowhere to stand on except the +10 POW runes.

On a sidenote- Summon Monster IV, 1d3 celestial buffalos. Position buffalo 1 10 feet behind target, position buffalo 2 (if rolled) right in front of target. If there is a buffalo 3, position it 10 feet in front of target. Buffalo 2, use Aid another for buffalo 1 and then withdraw 10 feet. Buffalos 1 and 3, charge. Combine charge with smite for +5 damage on an evil target.

Heh, those were the days when I planned so hard on how to kill a CR 13 dragon at level 7. Turns out you can do it at level 6 as a wizard if you think a little farther out of the box. Get Craft Magic Arms and armor, then Leadership. Make 50 dragonsbane arrows. Get 50 archers out of the dragon's panic aura, and fire. Each arrow that hits will deal 3d6+3 damage- hit it 20 times and it's game over.

EXTRA NOTE- I was pointed to your last journal. Eh, I'll leave it like this- but don't give up, 'kay? Just be patient, things will fall into place.
Back to top Go down
buddha66667
Great warrior
Great warrior
buddha66667

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 am

Stabs I would have to disagree as to this not being a race if they are being born with these summoning runes then they are emeging as a new race in my opinon. Also Volt if you think summoning your dinner is cheap then what about Canopy fairies Belly Warp spell. At least these rune fairies have to be trying to find a meal and if you can concele your magic they wouldn't be able to summon you. Also (directed at Volk) why exactly wouldn't a human, neko, elf, ect. not be able to be summoned?
Back to Dante The only thing with summoning is that when you summon a sentient creature they wouldn't obey you unless you had already made some form of deal with them. (Again back to larp when a summoner summons a creature they must one know the name of the creature. After completing this they must give them somthing of value for them to actualy work for you unless you were to befriend them to the point of them working for free. So at least at my larp Summons work like mercenaries.) Razz And to your earth bunny remark earlier I hope you know Mr. Snuggles is my pet vorpal bunny.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
asaenvolk

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Because historically only spiritual beings like: spirits, ghosts, demons, angels, or elementals could be summoned, you could summon humans, or dragons, or cows for example.

Also belly warp IS cheap, its also a trap that has to be maintained by the canopy fairy, can be detected by some, and can backfire in nasty ways. A canopy fairy cant, for example just put one a thousand miles away suddenly, the canopy fairy has to be there when she sets it up and then maintain its existence until its triggered so they cant just leave a ton up willy nilly.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Rune Fairies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rune Fairies   Rune Fairies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rune Fairies
Page 1 of 1