Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snowmen

Go down 
+4
Jætte_Troll
ravaging vixen
walkingbyself
Nyaha
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm

I was thinking, in Felarya, a world full of magic, it wouldn't be odd to see inanimate objects acting of their own acoord from time to time. In my mind, Snowmen in Felarya are bodies made of frozen water packed into spheres stacked atop one another that harbor spirits of all sorts, from soldiers killed in battle to animals unable to escape a predator. I need help to fill out the idea better, though. Where would be cold enough for them to exist? Do you think they'd form packs, or an army, to protect themselves? Could they be hostile? Tell me what you think, and any ideas you have concerning Snowmen.

As I've said before, anyone willing to post a comment in this thread is free to express whatever idea or opinion they please. Just don't attack the other users, please? ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:46 pm

We need moar creatures up here and an army of "snowmen" would be an awesome if some what disturbing site to see.
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Perhaps there are less hostile snowmen, but if you provoke them, they'll smother you in snow and kill you?
Come on, people, let's generate some more ideas for this!
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:38 pm

I support this. so they can be a counterparts to golemns but snowmen. lol that should definitely be somewhere in felarya. its bizarreness is pretty as things go xD
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Hmm. Perhaps it would be a type of frost elemental?
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I need to get this out, but Frost Elemental doesn't sound very good. I think Ice Elemental has a better ring to it.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I suppose an ice elemental could take the form of a Snowman, but Snowmen themselves I had considered to be much less complex than elementals. Moreover, unlike elementals, once a Snowman's spirit leaves it's body, or is forced out of it, it is sent to Heaven or Hell (depending on what kind of spirit it is) and cannot return, so hostile Snowmen are generally easier to deal with than Elementals.

While we're on the subject, the wiki doesn't actually say anything about ice elementals, other than a fire elemental cannot become an ice elemental. Someone should change that. Perhaps ice elementals would belong under Water Elementals, because ice is just frozen water.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:32 pm

I've written some ideas for ice elementals. I'm certain that ice elementals are a sort of water elementals, like the vapour elementals.

I do think that having them be elementals would make the most sense in world as to why a bunch of snow has a spirit in it.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Awah so no Frosty the snowman Snowmens then? Darn would have been funny to see such a childhood hero turn into something so not like the stories. Though could use the "Frosty the Snowman" story as a legend for these "snowmen" or frozen elemental's or whatever they shall be called.
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:

I do think that having them be elementals would make the most sense in world as to why a bunch of snow has a spirit in it.
Nya, that's a good point. Although, if anyone has any ideas as to why spirits would inhabit Snowmen, I'd love to hear them. ^.^ Otherwise, we'll go with the ice elemental idea.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, if I was a spirit in search of a body it would be pretty convenient if someone prepared a "snowman" in advance. I'm sure whoever built the snow man could invite a spirit to inhabit it. Now, getting that possessed snowman to follow your commands might be a little tricky. There would probably be a mutiny, a very bloody mutiny... on ice.

I'll think about it more when my brain is functioning better.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:42 pm

gt500x wrote:
Well, if I was a spirit in search of a body it would be pretty convenient if someone prepared a "snowman" in advance. I'm sure whoever built the snow man could invite a spirit to inhabit it. Now, getting that possessed snowman to follow your commands might be a little tricky. There would probably be a mutiny, a very bloody mutiny... on ice.

I'll think about it more when my brain is functioning better.
I thought of a "history of the existence of Snowmen" that is similar to that:
One day, someone built a snowman somewhere on Frost Peak. It was then inhabited by the spirit of a man who was stationed at the Miratan military base. With nothing else to do with his life-after-death, he created more snowmen, which were in turn inhabited by other spirits of the deceased wandering from places all across Felarya.

Whaddaya think? ;D
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:22 pm

That could work. For me, being a fan of Adventure Time, I had also thought of something along the lines of an Ice King. XP

There's one more idea I have for an Ice elemental based off the Yuki Onna (Snow Woman) from Japanese mythology. She's a lonely spirit or being who calls out to adventurers for help. The adventurers head out into the blizzard (which the Yuki Onna creates, by the way) and lose their way, ending up freezing to death or being eaten by the Yuki Onna... since this is Felarya.

Now if I wanted to put a twist on it to fit with your snowman idea, I would say that after leading an adventurer to his or her death she could take their soul and bind it to a snow man to keep her company for eternity. Her appetite for company could also be insatiable so she'd have a collection of hundreds of snowmen.

It's me lobbing some ideas up. I don't really know for sure but I'm definately wanting to do something with the Yuki Onna idea.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:37 pm

gt500x wrote:
That could work. For me, being a fan of Adventure Time, I had also thought of something along the lines of an Ice King. XP

There's one more idea I have for an Ice elemental based off the Yuki Onna (Snow Woman) from Japanese mythology. She's a lonely spirit or being who calls out to adventurers for help. The adventurers head out into the blizzard (which the Yuki Onna creates, by the way) and lose their way, ending up freezing to death or being eaten by the Yuki Onna... since this is Felarya.

Now if I wanted to put a twist on it to fit with your snowman idea, I would say that after leading an adventurer to his or her death she could take their soul and bind it to a snow man to keep her company for eternity. Her appetite for company could also be insatiable so she'd have a collection of hundreds of snowmen.

It's me lobbing some ideas up. I don't really know for sure but I'm definately wanting to do something with the Yuki Onna idea.
Yes, I like that. We could make this Yuki Onna idea, that she can control Snowmen's spirits and she uses them to find food and defend against other predators. ^.^ Does that sound good?
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Yeah, but there are problems with translating a being of folklore into something that works in Felarya. I'm not sure if the Yuki Onna, an Ice elemental, in Felarya would be capable of binding souls to snowmen (or constructs)

I hope that made sense.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

gt500x wrote:
Yeah, but there are problems with translating a being of folklore into something that works in Felarya. I'm not sure if the Yuki Onna, an Ice elemental, in Felarya would be capable of binding souls to snowmen (or constructs)

I hope that made sense.
Well, I don't think that a thing of lore from our world would end up in Felarya, I'd have to specify that the "Yuki Onna" in Frost Peak is Felarya-based. Can we change the name, and if so, do you have any ideas on what we could change it to? Also, if the "binding souls to Snowmen" doesn't work, we'll designate "Yuki Onna" as a predator and use my idea for it/her instead. Does that sound okay?
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 6:45 pm

I dunno. Frost Damsel? ^^;
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

gt500x wrote:
I dunno. Frost Damsel? ^^;
I don't know waht that means. Tell me what you think of my idea first.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 9:51 am

I think your idea sounds fine. I had a couple of name suggestions but I'm sure they won't be popular. One was Frost Damsel and the other was Snow Angel (not saying she's an angel, she only looks angelic.. maybe I should just give up on that one).

Another thing, did we agree on her being an elemental? If this "Frost Damsel" was a water elemental that would explain why she could shape and manipulate snow.

Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 pm

gt500x wrote:
I think your idea sounds fine. I had a couple of name suggestions but I'm sure they won't be popular. One was Frost Damsel and the other was Snow Angel (not saying she's an angel, she only looks angelic.. maybe I should just give up on that one).

Another thing, did we agree on her being an elemental? If this "Frost Damsel" was a water elemental that would explain why she could shape and manipulate snow.
Okay, first, I love the name "Snow Angel". The idea of giving something that dangerous a nice and harmless-sounding name makes me happy. ^.^ I also like the relation between snow angels and snowmen, both something we have IRL that takes on a new meaning in Felarya.

Now, I wasn't thinking that the Snow Angel would be able to manipulate snow at all. She can control the spirits inhabiting the Snowmen. But, if you think that giving her power over snow itself is a good idea, then we could probably classify her as an elemental. If not, then we need to figure out what being able to control spirits would classify her as.
Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

What if instead of fleshing out the Snowmen idea, you deliberately left them mysterious? So, like on Felarya when someone sees a snowman, they feel some kind of gut wrenching terror, even though the snowman doesn't move. When they run away, if the adventurer turns around, they'll see the snowman has gotten closer, even if the snowman doesn't move while they watch him. Even fairies are scared of them, because shrinking, melting or otherwise destroying them doesn't stop them - when you turn around again, they're still there, as if nothing had happened. There could be cases of adventurers who spent their entire lives running from snowmen, or of settlements whose inhabitants wake up after a particularly heavy blizzard one night to find their homes entirely encircled by snowmen. No-one knows what happens when a snowman catches you, because no-one has lived through it, and the only known way to escape a snowman is to flee to a warmer climate. Even so, some rumours persist that as the adventurer goes about their daily life, the snowman sits at the edge of the Imoreth Tundra, waiting for the adventurer to return.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 2:53 pm

EdgedWeapon wrote:
What if instead of fleshing out the Snowmen idea, you deliberately left them mysterious? So, like on Felarya when someone sees a snowman, they feel some kind of gut wrenching terror, even though the snowman doesn't move. When they run away, if the adventurer turns around, they'll see the snowman has gotten closer, even if the snowman doesn't move while they watch him. Even fairies are scared of them, because shrinking, melting or otherwise destroying them doesn't stop them - when you turn around again, they're still there, as if nothing had happened. There could be cases of adventurers who spent their entire lives running from snowmen, or of settlements whose inhabitants wake up after a particularly heavy blizzard one night to find their homes entirely encircled by snowmen. No-one knows what happens when a snowman catches you, because no-one has lived through it, and the only known way to escape a snowman is to flee to a warmer climate. Even so, some rumours persist that as the adventurer goes about their daily life, the snowman sits at the edge of the Imoreth Tundra, waiting for the adventurer to return.
Okay, first, I love this! ^.^ This is exactly the kind of teking-something-nice-and-making-it-totally-creepy that I adore. That's the Snowmen idea right there! ^.^ I'm thinking that we can make the Snow Angel idea seperate from Snowmen now. Snowmen are these myseterious things described by you, and the Snow Angel is an ice elemental said to, what was it? Lure people into blizzards and then eat them. How does that sound everyone? ^.^
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Sure. May I suggest there also be Abominable Snowmen? ^^

But since the Snow Angel has nothing to do with snowmen, she doesn't need to be an elementall. She can just be a predator who whips up blizzards and calls for help to attract prey. Or maybe calling for help is a bit much.

Whatever, It's up to you. I'm just chippin in.
Back to top Go down
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 pm

Glad to hear you like my Snowman idea! As for the Snow Angels, why not have them as a kind of ice elemental/fairy, which sometimes lures travellers into a blizzard and eats them and sometimes shows them the way to safety?

Or if nt that, then what if the ice elemenals WERE the blizzard, and the Snow Angels were illusions meant to lure unwary travellers to their doom?

And about abominable snowmen, I dunno. Maybe it could be the technical term for the evil snowmen we're talking about, or maybe it could be something different. I just think there should be nothing making contact with the snowmen - these guys are a serious, bone chilling mysterious evil. Having any sentient creature go up and just talk to them, and having them talk back kind of ruins the terrifying image. So I'm against the frost elemental controlling them idea.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 3:46 pm

SNOWMEN! COMBINE TO FORM....ABOMINABLE SNOMAN!!!!! GYAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAA!!

...Sorry. ^.^ I just like the image of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snowmen Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snowmen   Snowmen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snowmen
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: New ideas-
Jump to: