Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Naga Digestive Behavior

Go down 
+10
Anime-Junkie
luke112
Karbo
AisuKaiko
CauldronBorn24
asaenvolk
rcs619
Pendragon
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 4:02 am

Quote :
stomach is so powerful and yet no serious problems(heart burn)?

In all fairness, most of that increased power is just because the volume and power of the preds' stomach acid is scaled up with them, and they are part-animal, making their digestive systems a bit tougher and more powerful than a human's. Nagas do tend to have stronger stomachs than other preds, but not by some extreme amount, i don't think.

Quote :
Oh and the part about grenades? That really goes for any predator I believe. Grenades aren't going to burst a pred's stomach or anything.

Yep. It may make them flinch in pain, and startle them a little, but the standard anti-personel fragmentation grenade just lacks the power to do any real damage to the thick, muscular walls of a scaled up stomach.
Back to top Go down
asaenvolk
Marauder of the deep jungle
asaenvolk

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Well you underestimate the power of the human digestive system there. Its true that there are animals better at digestion in one aspect or another, the humans ability to handle a wider range of food stuffs (many fairly toxic like garlic) with little problem is impressive in its own way.
Back to top Go down
http://asaenvolk.deviantart.com/
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I'm dealing with nagas right now, besides Nagas are supposed to be the most voracious. Also, that doesn't make sense. Both stomachs are connected, how does one digest faster than the other? That circles back to what I said about difference in PH levels of the acids specific to the stomach.

Others have mentions parts of this before, but to summarize:

• If the stomach acid does not easily travel from one stomach to the other, or if the "lower" stomach has higher digestive power than the "upper" one, it is entirely possible for one stomach to digest faster than the other.
  • Each of the stomachs may have a different mix of digestive enzymes; the upper stomach may be unable to digest bones as quickly as the lower one (or at all), or hair, or other substances. This would lead to different apparent digestion rates.
  • Its also possible that the difference in digestion speed is simply because the smaller bits of food have a higher surface area to volume ratio, meaning that more of them gets digested per unit of time. The same basic effect is the reason why pooled gasoline burns, but aerosolized gasoline violently explodes.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Heh.... would be quite interesting if a giant naga ate a human sized prey but was "full" in the small stomach so then the prey would end up in the large snake stomach.

That would be a pretty large space for the prey, easily enough for them to walk around.....until they suffocate.

Genuine question: How do these two stomachs interact/connect with the "exit" hole? Very Happy

Actually that brings up another question..... If a creature small enough made it into the large stomach....could they potentially survive the ordeal by making it out the rear end?
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Well, I think the stomachs are connected in series so I can't see how someone could avoid the first no matter how full it is. Even then I'd doubt they make it through the second stomach. I'm sure you know what comes after the stomachs. There's no chance of coming out in the shape you went in, at least in my mind.

Back to top Go down
X
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 pm

I always sort of assumed if they ate something big it just totally bypassed the first stomach, and if they ate something smaller it just sort of digested in the first one, and ran through the second one without it really needing to 'warm up'.
Saves energy.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 11:26 pm

X wrote:
I always sort of assumed if they ate something big it just totally bypassed the first stomach, and if they ate something smaller it just sort of digested in the first one, and ran through the second one without it really needing to 'warm up'.
Saves energy.

Pretty much.

The two stomachs are one continuous organ that has been compartmentalized. The smaller stomach is located in the human half, and is reserved for smaller prey, and is similar in size and function to a human stomach. When the food is digested, it just passes through the second stomach briefly on its way to the intestines.

If the naga eats a very large meal, it will pass through the first stomach and on into the second one, located in the naga's tail. This second stomach is much larger, and better suited to digesting large meals.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 12:37 pm

So if a naga ate a small meal, then a large one right after, would the contents of the small meal be dumped into the large stomach?

Also.... how big are we talking in the 2nd stomach? Because when I think of a snake's stomach, it runs along the majority of the snake's body doesn't it? Is it the same with nagas?

WTB "naga digestive track" sketch so I can actually know what is going on.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Naga Digestive Behavior   Naga Digestive Behavior - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Naga Digestive Behavior
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2