Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Earthen Pyrite

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 pm

The Felarya mineralogy thread states than any mineral already found on Earth has no business in that thread, so I decided to post my idea here.

Earthen pyrite is a very valuable mineral in Felarya. It has the distinct and highly-sought ability to repel almost any magic conjurable, but due to the fact that the inhabitants of the world it is found on consider it a thing of very little-to-no value, it is almost never carried into Felarya, even by accident.

Well? Tell me what you think! And if anyone has any ideas that might be added to this, please, I'd love to hear them. As always, anyone willing to post here may make any comment they like, you won't be judged (at least, not by me).
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Ummm... Nyaha?

What's so inherently anti-magical of the most common sulfide mineral, that can be found in almost any Igneous rock?
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

You were supposed to post the last bit of what you said!! I've alread discussed that part with you and told you you were right in-chat. Like I told you, my focus wasn't the materials, but the fact that something like pyrite would be more valuable in Felarya. Now, help me figure out if we can make the idea work, please?
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Well here's the thing Nyaha, that was before I looked it up in my Mineralogy text book.

Turns out it's not made out of Lead and Iron like I first thought, but Sulfur and Iron...

It's also extremely common, actually being unusual if it's not found in a hydrothermal deposit, which it's why it isn't all that valuable.

Also has a tendency to oxidize and release sulfuric acid...

Now, while I have said that the Petrology and Mineralogy of Felarya would be a nightmare to figure out, I really don't think something as commonly occuring as Pyrite would really be all that rare.

I did say that maybe something made of Iron and Silver would work, since both metals have been said to have properties against the supernatural, but then it wouldn't be Pyrite.
In fact, the mineral you'd be looking for is probably... Freibergite...
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:05 pm

What the value of that stuff on Earth. I suppose I was thinking too poetically in terms of this idea. I suppose it's a dud.
Back to top Go down
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Nyaha wrote:
What the value of that stuff on Earth. I suppose I was thinking too poetically in terms of this idea. I suppose it's a dud.
Yeah, it probably was...
As for the Freibergite... I've got no bloody clue as to what it's worth...
Only reason I found it in the first place was because I searched Wikipedia for "Silver Iron Mineral".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Earthen Pyrite Empty
PostSubject: Re: Earthen Pyrite   Earthen Pyrite Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Earthen Pyrite
Page 1 of 1