Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 How did Giant Elves come to be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
avatar

Posts : 3766
Join date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Thu May 05, 2011 3:25 am

Err honestly I'm not really sure where the "no-giant forms of humanoid species" rule comes from ^^;
As for many thing, I'm not a big fan of absolute rules, especially in a world like Felarya.
Ok, as I see it, Elve are a race more prone to magic than Humans and Nekos. And more receptive to it too. So there would be a few elves who would grow naturally giant, somehow infused by the magic of the Felaryan soil.
Now the mechanism of having some elves enlarged through magic means make sense to me too ( like how Tajyms do to create their Khajals ), though that would be something rare, the process being very long and difficult to implement. Both occurences would be pretty rare actually. Though of course when two giant elves mate, their children would be giant too ( like for scarlet elves )

_________________
My main gallery
The Felarya wiki
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2007-12-16
Age : 24
Location : The Country of Kangaroos and Criminal Scum

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 am

In that case, JT's chronology isn't necessarily wrong, as the elves could have got together a whole lot of giant elves and convinced them to breed for the good of the empire. Maybe get other elves who had shown a potential for giant growth but hadn't quite been able to absorb the power and help them start the start the growth.

Quote :
Err honestly I'm not really sure where the "no-giant forms of humanoid species" rule comes from ^^;
As for many thing, I'm not a big fan of absolute rules, especially in a world like Felarya.
It's not that there's no giant forms. It's that humanoid species are only one size. ie: humans are human sized. Nekos are neko sized.
I believe this came about because so far in canon humanoids only have one size. It's an assumption.

I believe that this shouldn't be an absolute rule. For example, there exceptions Neko in the manga. These are a characters though. Individuals. They're fine. The rule is more like this; there can be different sized humans and Nekos, but they are individuals, not an entire species. For elves, by your description it appears that the giants are a sub-species. They could technically breed with human-sized elves, but well, it's be a little difficult.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Jętte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
avatar

Posts : 2769
Join date : 2009-02-02
Age : 26
Location : Over There

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Yes, giant-elves can breed, I'd assume. That's how they continue to exist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Thu May 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Hm, Karbo said pretty much what I was thinking. Elves would be more "attuned" to ambient magic than humans. This would mean that any possible magic-related mutations would affect them more rapidly, and more drastically. Since elves can breed, and seem to be divided into "species" rather than just individuals with unique mutation, I'd assume it's genetic. This is both a boon and a danger, of course, because while it gives them various advantages, wanton mutation can quickly lead to evolutionary dead-ends and extinction of that line.

AJ, consider this: in domestic cattle, the females are often so fat and unfit (thanks to our meddling) that to be mounted by an adult bull would snap their legs. So, you could say that breeding's difficult for them, but not impossible. It's a matter of physical form, not genetics. With cows, humans have to artificially inseminate, but I'm sure that a sapient species could find their own methods.

Now, if breeding is possible, that would mean that giant elf gametes are the same size as those of regular elves. This brings up a slew of other problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jętte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
avatar

Posts : 2769
Join date : 2009-02-02
Age : 26
Location : Over There

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Thu May 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, the wiki's been updated on the topic of Elves regarding this so I guess it's a moot point now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 241
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Thu May 05, 2011 4:52 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
AJ, consider this: in domestic cattle, the females are often so fat and unfit (thanks to our meddling) that to be mounted by an adult bull would snap their legs. So, you could say that breeding's difficult for them, but not impossible. It's a matter of physical form, not genetics. With cows, humans have to artificially inseminate, but I'm sure that a sapient species could find their own methods.

Wait... where in the hell did you get that information?

Because, I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

Artificial insemination is used for cattle not because the cows are "Fat and unfit", but because it allows for improved chances for pregnancy and tighter control of a herds genetics.

In fact, because of a society that demands lower fat content, most beef cattle are grown fairly lean, which makes me wonder why you see cattle as "fat" or "unfit"...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2010
Join date : 2008-01-13
Age : 26
Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Fri May 06, 2011 7:11 pm

Black Aquila wrote:
ZionAtriedes wrote:
AJ, consider this: in domestic cattle, the females are often so fat and unfit (thanks to our meddling) that to be mounted by an adult bull would snap their legs. So, you could say that breeding's difficult for them, but not impossible. It's a matter of physical form, not genetics. With cows, humans have to artificially inseminate, but I'm sure that a sapient species could find their own methods.

Wait... where in the hell did you get that information?

Because, I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

Artificial insemination is used for cattle not because the cows are "Fat and unfit", but because it allows for improved chances for pregnancy and tighter control of a herds genetics.

In fact, because of a society that demands lower fat content, most beef cattle are grown fairly lean, which makes me wonder why you see cattle as "fat" or "unfit"...
Gah. It is possible I am acting on exaggerated information. However, there are recorded cases of bulls breaking the back of their mate, and there is also widespread usage of steroids and homrones in livestock throughout the industrialized countries. I would imagine there would be a correlation between the two. My apologies, I said "legs" instead of "back", and has mistaken "fat" for "vastly weakened structure due to hormonal imbalance". Then again, as a nitpicker, I should be prepared to fall victim to it myself...

I digress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 241
Join date : 2011-03-28
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Gah. It is possible I am acting on exaggerated information. However, there are recorded cases of bulls breaking the back of their mate, and there is also widespread usage of steroids and homrones in livestock throughout the industrialized countries. I would imagine there would be a correlation between the two. My apologies, I said "legs" instead of "back", and has mistaken "fat" for "vastly weakened structure due to hormonal imbalance". Then again, as a nitpicker, I should be prepared to fall victim to it myself...

I digress.
Still calling "Bullshit" on that man...

While it wouldn't surprise me that an overzealous bull has broken a heifer's back a time or two, I highly doubt it was because of a severe hormonal imbalance interfering with the strength of her spine.

Seriously, if you've messed with the animal's developmental process enough that her bones would be that fragile... you're doing something wrong!

And it would be a big problem too, since cows in heat will mount each other.

I'm not what you'd call a "farmboy", but I have spend some time around livestock, and the idea that a COW of all things could be perverted to the point that it couldn't support the weight of a mate is laughable.

Now, broilers on the other hand...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
avatar

Posts : 2690
Join date : 2007-12-16
Age : 24
Location : The Country of Kangaroos and Criminal Scum

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Sat May 07, 2011 1:31 am

Black Aquila wrote:
you're doing something wrong!
Humans? Doing something wrong? I never would have guessed.

Speaking of doing things wrong, this thread is going offtopic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Lobo
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer


Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-04-18

PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   Sat May 07, 2011 8:55 am

When you think about it, making a rule about how stuff can survive on Felarya, and applying it to all species would cause a vast number of problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How did Giant Elves come to be?   

Back to top Go down
 
How did Giant Elves come to be?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» The Gentle Giant? Bullshit.
» Giant stag 'shot dead for antlers'
» Free Giant Kralove Service
» Leshan Giant Buddha
» A giant a-hole gets a medal

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: