Share | 

Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

PostSubject: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Fri May 13, 2011 3:02 am

Well, I'm exhausted and feeling kinda stupid... So, a good time to make a new topic!

Anyway, we know that throwing a certain variety of shark at each other is the formal declaration of war for mermaids. This amuses me, and the musically inclined fish-people are near and dear to my heart, thus I figured I'd brainstorm regarding what other sorts of projectiles might be used for different situations. I figure these are generally used for formal, or very emphatic expressions, since you can't always expect to have a Fucking Shark on hand just whenever.

It also occurs to me that throwing things (especially fish who can just swim away) at each other is not all that practical underwater, so these might only apply to mermaid-surfacer interactions. ...Or maybe Anko just made it up as an excuse to throw stuff at people, which is actually pretty plausible. XD

But whatever, I'm just gonna throw (Haha) out ideas randomly anyway, and keep them as general as possible, just because I'm not exactly feeling like a genius tonight. XD

Friendship: I dunno why, but I want this to be a sea-slug or somesuch, just for comedic value.

Surrender: Something conveniently attainable I think, like generic sea-weed, or whatnot.

Marriage Proposal: Some kind of starfish maybe? Or perhaps just the proposal recipient's favorite treat? That would certainly make the waters extra-dangerous during the Felaryan-equivalent of Valentine's day. Laughing

Ghaa, I wanted to do more than three weak-ass suggestions, but my brain has pretty much melted down, so I'm gonna have to stop here for now. Everyone should feel free to chime in with suggestions/condemnations/hurled sharks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Fri May 13, 2011 5:53 am

This indeed sound amusing. I could see mermaids throw stuff at each other for no apparent reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Jętte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Fri May 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Hmm... ideas

Declaration of War - A Fucking Shark - The Fucking Shark is seen by mermaids as a slow moving, mildly interesting snack. Throwing one at someone equates them to this and is a grave insult as well.

Anger - A Tentacly Thing - Anything really goes. Just lots of gross tentacles. Preferably aimed at the hair or face.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sat May 14, 2011 1:53 am

PrinnyDood wrote:
Or maybe Anko just made it up as an excuse to throw stuff at people, which is actually pretty plausible. XD

hahaha I was actually still pondering about that XD
That would be so like her Razz
But I think I like the idea of it being a custom more, it gives a strange trait to the race and having mermaids sing beautifully then throwing stuff is pretty hilarious Laughing

View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sat May 14, 2011 6:58 am

You are out of shape - A half-eaten fish - The half-eaten fish is used to show that a mermaid believes that another is unskilled in hunting. Not only did it needed to be offered a common snack, a sign of a lack of faith in one's hunting skills, but it was half-eaten, which means that she believes that a healthy fish would be a match for this mermaid.

Shut up - A sea urchin - The spines of the sea urchin is perfect to make another mermaid stop talking incessantly about something and to symbolize that their rambling is painful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sat May 14, 2011 9:02 am

De Dway has pondered at this and came up with these:

You are very pretty-Treasure or crystals from riverbed - Young mermaid throw these to their elder (and occasionally bigger) counterparts to compliment their looks, lighten their spirits if they're glum or just flatter the bigger mermaids in hope of not getting eaten, the more shiny the object the more beautiful said mermaid is.

You sing very well-A giant conch- It is common knowledge that mermaids are excellent singers, so when they hear a beautiful song that is not from that of a mermaid, they tend to compliment it the few ways they know how: Throw a giant conch with beautiful designs, which may or may not have a giant hermit crab inside, not many people would check a giant shell after it crash landed in front of them.

I'm going to steal your food-Toxotida- Mermaids, like all people, tend to get angry with one another when de later does something purposely to anger de former. and also like all people de former would attempt to get even by thieving the latter's food.

Hopefully, de Dway hasn't confused people with text speech.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 am

Throwing oneself at someone else would obviously be akin to marriage proposal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sat May 14, 2011 11:41 am

Go find your own place-Octohog- The mermaid doesn't want another to freeload on her section of the ocean, and thus throws one of these aquatic beasts at her. Since they have the ability to burrow into solid bedrock and create their own little hiding holes, she is telling the other mermaid to do the same- dig out her own and get out of my property.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrinnyDood
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sun May 15, 2011 2:58 am

Karbo wrote:
But I think I like the idea of it being a custom more, it gives a strange trait to the race and having mermaids sing beautifully then throwing stuff is pretty hilarious Laughing

Hehe, yeah, the whole scenario where the giantess/naga/whatever is thinking 'Aww, she's really nice. I don't know where everyone gets the idea that mermaids are so capricious-' and then gets hit in the face with a 'friendship' object, is deeply amusing to me.

In any case, lots of great ideas in here already - I especially like the premise that the hurled object's traits symbolize the intended message. Good stuff!

Tryin' to think of more, but they need to be fairly formal or important expressions; if every 'Hi, what's up?' needed a special thrown fish, it'd get mighty inconvenient.

Hmmmm... Felarya could use a few more projectile-sized aquatic creatures. sweatdrop

Invitation to some personally important event: (Usually smallish) Pearl Anemones. The inner pearl surrounded by stinging tentacles represents how a a true friendship is beautiful despite the inevitable hardships, and that you want the 'recipient' present for this important event - flaws and all. However, If the thrower does not give the target a quick warning, and/or aims for the head, this is usually a clue that they feel obligated to invite the individual, as opposed to a genuine desire for their attendance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://prinnydood-abides.deviantart.com/
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Sun May 15, 2011 1:09 pm

<b>Friendly Greeting</b> - smaller mermaid. By throwing a smaller mermaid, the scared, squealy sound they make mid-flight tells the other mermaid they'd like to go hunting together. That, or they're very bored and would like to play a game of catch...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Lets Play - Okali The throwing of this generally harmless and playful creature at another mermaid is generally only done by younger mermaids who wish to play with a friend and what better way then with a creature that is also playful?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
DuskTheNaga
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 pm

EdgedWeapon wrote:
That, or they're very bored and would like to play a game of catch...

I can guess what the ball is XD

*A Fucking Shark is thrown at him*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other   

Back to top Go down

Mermaids - Throwin' stuff at each other
Page 1 of 1