Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

General Q and A - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Not unless another Corrector-Guardian war happens; which it won't, since the Correctors were defeated.
The meteor shower occurred at the tail end of the Era of Mirages; a time when Felarya was extremely unstable in all aspects.
Those circumstances are what allowed those meteors though and due to the extraordinary nature of those circumstances, they can not be replicated therefore it's not going to happen again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:16 pm

luke112 wrote:
ok i just finishd looking through the chonolgy of felarya in the wiki, and then it struck me
If meteors have entered Felarya before in theory they should under correct circumstances enter felarya agian or another type of space debrie IE fragments of space ships?
*note this was from the last time i checked and my laptop dosent have enough power for me to run a full check right now*

We have one case in the thousands of years of the chronology of a single meteorite hitting a single, remote location in Felarya.

Keep in mind, this was also during the "Era of recovery". The dimensional fabric was heavily damaged following the war with the Correctors, making it weak, and somewhat vulnerable. It has since gotten much stronger, and any future meteor events are unlikely.

You also have to take into account the MASSIVE odds that are against this happening. Space is big. Really big. Like, so much bigger than you could ever possibly comprehend, big. Think about the biggest thing you could possibly think about, and then realize its an atom, on an atom in comparison to how space is. Because a vanishing land cannot open in space, the only way this could happen would be through a whiplash portal. Whiplash portals take place within a small area, and only last a second.

I just want you to think about the odds. A whiplash portal, opening in the exact right part of space, at the same second a meteor is also passing by on a correct course to enter the area of the whiplash portal's effect, and also be the right size to go through it.

The incident in the chronology was, in all likelyhood, a once in an epoch event. There is virtually zero chance of any stellar object, be it natural, or artificial coming into Felarya. The only way a spacecraft MAY make it in, is if it has some kind of dimensional drive.

So yeah. No meteor strikes or random bits of space debris coming into Felarya. See also AJ's answer.
Back to top Go down
Primeval Hunter
Naga food
Primeval Hunter

PostSubject: Tonorions size?   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Okay so the wiki says they are like 40-120 long. But what if they rear up in defense or for attack? How high would they stand off the ground. Just curious...
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:53 pm

request to move this thread in general question and answer.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Primeval Hunter
Naga food
Primeval Hunter

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:57 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
request to move this thread in general question and answer.
Sure
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 2:58 pm

I agree with gwada, this is a question for the general Q & A thread and should be merged by a moderator.

As for the question; Imagine a centipede rearing up. They can't really rear up that high (relative to body size), so it's not really something that needs to be listed or that could be determined easily.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Primeval Hunter
Naga food
Primeval Hunter

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Imagine a centipede rearing up. They can't really rear up that high (relative to body size), so it's not really something that needs to be listed or that could be determined easily.
Okay thanks for the answer
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Question: what is the naga mating ritual?, (this is assumming that there is somekind of elaborate ritual that would win a male a female, just like in nature)
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 pm

cute eyes...show what you got, sex party :/
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 pm

can someone please come up with a better answer then that, please confused
Back to top Go down
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 pm

luke112 wrote:

Flowers, some candies, surviving the girl's grumpy dad, and if the male expects anything major first date he better have a condom
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 pm

Prof.Nekko wrote:
luke112 wrote:

Flowers, some candies, surviving the girl's grumpy dad, and if the male expects anything major first date he better have a condom

LOL Laughing
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 pm

well thats better but how would a gaint find giant chocoletes unless of course their chocolete dipped humans then i know where to find those Laughing

Last edited by luke112 on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:13 pm

What does a pred; Assuming that they are a hybred like a naga; do when they get poisiosed enough to make them sick or worse? (Dont ask how.)
Back to top Go down
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Black Hole Fragment wrote:
What does a pred; Assuming that they are a hybred like a naga; do when they get poisiosed enough to make them sick or worse? (Dont ask how.)

They either get some natural medicine for remedies, or take the stinger out, say "crikey" and die a horrible death
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Prof.Nekko wrote:

They either get some natural medicine for remedies, or take the stinger out, say "crikey" and die a horrible death

Get "stung" with the monster I have in mind, expect a pred to die within 3 minuets, with their skin and internal organs liquidfing.(No, I'm not talking about a drid., something far worse.)
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 pm

luke112 wrote:
Question: what is the naga mating ritual?, (this is assumming that there is somekind of elaborate ritual that would win a male a female, just like in nature)

*Pure conjecture*

Some species of snakes form mating balls, that is, during mating season many males will swarm and compete with other males over a female.

I like to think of some nagas in Felarya doing something similar, but in reverse (multiple females to males) since there seems to be more female predators.

It's always seemed to me that in Felarya the females would play the more dominant role in most relationships for predator species.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:48 pm

ok thank you for answering , next question

when can we expect to see a list of toxic plants and venmonous animals?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm

luke112 wrote:
ok thank you for answering , next question

when can we expect to see a list of toxic plants and venmonous animals?

Doing a complete list would be impossible, given the range and variety of wildlife in Felarya.

The wiki merely highlights important and/or especially interesting species.

Probably best to just assume that there's lots of them, like with any dangerous environment.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Not a complete list just a list of those in the Known Funna that are Piosenous or venmnous so one does not have to look through the many funna pages to get information on these things for a story secene or related thing,
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:43 pm

To what amount of posion would a pred be able to handle if said posion was so leathal that 1 mL of it could kill 1000 people in 3 secounds?
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 9:51 pm

Not much i would say , maybe a half liter at the max, but im not a toxocolgist so i wouldnt know for sure
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 pm

To what amount of posion would a pred be able to handle if said posion was so leathal that 1 mL of it could kill 1000 people in 3 secounds?

Poisons are entirely dependant on dosage, and the type of poison involved.

Predators are very large, with large circulatory systems. You also have to take into account the type of predator as well. Tauric preds like Nagas, Dridders, and Centaurs will have more blood than a humanoid pred of the same size, and would require an even larger dose to bring down. That isn't even thinking about the possibility that pred immune systems could naturally be stronger than a human's, because they are part-animal.

The healing factor plays some part in this as well. Unless a poison is instantly lethal, its effects are going to be weakened slightly by the target's boosted immune system. The amount the healing factor plays a part increases with the time it takes to kill. So, the quicker acting a poison is, the less its going to be affected by the immune system boost of the healing factor.

You'd also need a delivery system. Poisons only work if they get into the bloodstream. To get there, you'd need to have something that could punch through a pred's scaled-up skin. A dart gun isn't going to do it. The dart itself would probably be the size of a football or larger. For something that big, you'd probably be looking at a rocket delievery system. ...and since rockets either wound or kill a pred in a single hit, there's no reason to use poison over a standard, explosive rocket.
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 10:21 pm

Well kind of vemoun I'm talking about is well... imagen a venoum that is basic any and all kinds found in nature, with three other toxic chemical substances in which bost the leathalty of the vemoun by three thousend fold. And this super posionous mixture, due to two of the three unknown chemical substances, makes it flow about 20 times faster than olive oil. The deliver system is a tail powerful enough, with a surated suface, to puch though a preds skin with little effort. And it's acting the moment it gets inside the body.

Also, when I meant by 1 mL of this stuff being able to kill 1000 humans in 3 secounds, I also meant it also "melts" all of the tissue in that time frame also well.
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 6:33 am

Well kind of vemoun I'm talking about is well... imagen a venoum that is basic any and all kinds found in nature, with three other toxic chemical substances in which bost the leathalty of the vemoun by three thousend fold. And this super posionous mixture, due to two of the three unknown chemical substances, makes it flow about 20 times faster than olive oil. The deliver system is a tail powerful enough, with a surated suface, to puch though a preds skin with little effort. And it's acting the moment it gets inside the body.

Also, when I meant by 1 mL of this stuff being able to kill 1000 humans in 3 secounds, I also meant it also "melts" all of the tissue in that time frame also well.

To answer your initial question: I'll need to know the mass of the chemical, not the volume. The LD 50 or median lethal dose; the dosage required to kill 50% of the subjects it is administrated to, of a substance is worked out using mass. For example the LD 50 for botulinum toxin directly injected into the blood stream is worked out at 1 nano gram of poison is required for every kilogram of the subject. So if you weighed in at 80kg then 80 nano grams of botulinum toxin would be enough to kill you.

Ok there are some points in your discription which aren't explained or falwed.

" with three other toxic chemical substances in which bost the leathalty of the vemoun by three thousend fold"

Ok so is this a mixture containing four seperate compounds; the initial poision and three others present in the solution? Or are they reagents which have reacted to form one substance?

The later is probably more what you're looking for in terms of your terminology; the whole being greater than the some of its parts. An example of this would be binary precursors used in chemical weapons; while the precursors themselves are mildly harmful or toxic the product of mixing them together, usually a neurological agent like Sarin is far far more dangerous.

If it is the fromer than your use of terminology is inncorrect; unless at least one reagent was acting as a catylst, as the venom mixture will only be as lethal as the most toxic substance/fastest acting reagent present. When it comes to toxicity there are two factors; the physical effects and the time it takes to induce those physical effects: If one poison kills in seconds while the others take minutes, what is the point of the other poisons? Having four distinct poisons can help when it comes to killing different species however.

" makes it flow about 20 times faster than olive oil"

The venom's own fluid dynamics aren't really important when it comes to its lethality as the main solvent here will be the blood of the victim. The venom won't flow through the body itself.

" I also meant it also "melts" all of the tissue in that time frame also well"

Well this is were it all breaks down. One millilitre of anything will not melt a 80kg body; as the corrosive substance is itself would react with what it comes into contact with, turning both into something that is soluable in the solvent. Hydrocloric acid for example. Hydrochloric acid is just Hydrogen chloride gas dissolved in water; water being solvent. If you drop a lump of iron in a beaker full of Hydrochloric acid the iron will slowly dissolve: 2HCL(aq) + Fe -> FeCl2(aq) + H2

The acid itself is consumed in the reaction however it reacted with the Iron to from Iron(II) Chloride something which is soluable in water; the solvent. If you want to dissolve a body you will need a lot of (insert corrosive substance here) not just a drop.

Another issue is the three second time frame. I've had enough corrosive substances splashed on my hands to know they won't just melt away in an instant rather it is a slow progress, slow enougth to allow me to wash my hands. There are substances which do dissolve in seconds either due to disociation within the solvent or they do react that quickly. Chemical reactions produce heat, the quicker your reaction the more heat you will produce, so if you want to dissolve a body in seconds you are going to be producing an awful ammount of heat.

Now, here is the problem if this vemon is highly corrosive to human tissue; lipids, protiens and other organic compounds (they contain carbon) then chances are it is going to be corrosive to the substances which make it highly toxic; which would also be an organic compound. Why does your venom need to be an organic compound and not just a lump of thallium? Simple; the fastest acting and thus the most dangerous posions are nerve agents; neurotransmitter innhibitors. Inorder form them to traverse the body and do the deed they need to mimic the natural compounds used by the body. A neurotransmitter is akin to a socket, if the innhibitor does not fit into the socket it will not work. Poisons like thallium and arsenic kill by taking the place of essential alkali metal cations and phosphates respectivly; while they match these essential chemicals enough for the body to accept them their chemistry is vastly different from what they substituted thus inducing toxic effects. Such processess are far slower in action than nerve agents however.

What you have done is made a mixture which doesn't know whether it is coming or going; yes you can have a venom which is highly corrosive, however relying on such a mechanism won't kill 1000 humans in three seconds which just a millilitre. On the other hand you can have a poison which is that leathal but it won't be melting bodies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 7 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next