Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

General Q and A - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm

So wait. You guys are saying there would be robots scouting things out. Or there were anyway. People used them, got mistaken information, then stopped using them and relied on humans instead?
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Yes. There is only so much a machine can do, as Cliff said they are limited in function and operation. So they only realised Felarya was dangerous after the humans arrived.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:25 pm

CauldronBorn24 wrote:
Yes. There is only so much a machine can do, as Cliff said they are limited in function and operation. So they only realised Felarya was dangerous after the humans arrived.

Soooooo... Robots are around. I guess I should start coming up with some common robots you may see around Felarya. They probably count as Magical relics and treasure, ha ha ha. Technical wonders that they are.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Wall E comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 am

AIs are something 'prevalent' in my story, but the only one currently in existence in my writings is one of my main characters, Nyselyn. She was 'rescued' if you will from the AI wars of the multiverse realm that the Authority came from.

I think you probably wouldn't see too many advanced 'robots' in the generic sense of the design just because of the resources necessary to maintain them and the functionality they would require in operation in some of the more hostile environments of Felarya. Something more advanced like Nyselyn can easily accomplish it, but there are few societies that even have the potential to build something like her and on top of that Nyselyn is an anomaly anyway due to how her 'core' is 'contained'.

Not to mention most humans get the heeby-jeebies when you talk about creating a machine that is capable of self-awareness and handing your asses to you without strict controls - and the latter will almost certainly be circumvented eventually if the former is true.

A lot of my theory and design behind them comes from Asimov's papers and the book series everyone knows of - Robots > Robots and Empire > Foundation > Foundation & Chaos; and what doesn't come from that is filled in by the novel-esque stories of the Dinochrome Brigade which examine the features of the Bolo's AI, Anne McCaffery's Brain & Brawn series, or other past writers/researchers such as Ben Bova and his book Challenges.

Off topic and on a tangent, Felarya's dimensional design often reminds me a lot of the Key to Perihelion that Asimov wrote into that line of his story, and timing2's watch stories definitely remind me of it.

I think you are probably more likely to seem golems doing such tasks. Sure, they may not be as intelligent, but they are far more rugged for their like-styled environments (ie rock golems for exploring mountains, etc) and less likely to attract attention to themselves or the master.

Wall-E does come to mind though, for handling menial tasks that one doesn't really feel like dealing with or expending energy upon. Negav certainly has the economy and reason for bringing in such trade through the portals. You can probably find a lot of disinherited robotic relics just in the underground of Negav, where their parts of those that fail/cease to function are sold off as trinkets and the like.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 7:21 am

Silent_eric wrote:
CauldronBorn24 wrote:

Soooooo... Robots are around. I guess I should start coming up with some common robots you may see around Felarya. They probably count as Magical relics and treasure, ha ha ha. Technical wonders that they are.

I thought we might have a list of commonly used robots under "Practical Uses" on the Science and Magic page in the wiki. That was my intention, at least. I say you get the thread started S.E.

Edit: Now, I feel kinda silly for asking this because I just know the answer is staring me in the face but I'm too (fill in the blank) to see it. The question is; are humans and elves capable of cross breeding?

Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 am

gt500x wrote:
Silent_eric wrote:
CauldronBorn24 wrote:

I thought we might have a list of commonly used robots under "Practical Uses" on the Science and Magic page in the wiki. That was my intention, at least. I say you get the thread started S.E.

Edit: Now, I feel kinda silly for asking this because I just know the answer is staring me in the face but I'm too (fill in the blank) to see it. The question is; are humans and elves capable of cross breeding?

I think the general consensus is yes. The reason you probably can't see the answer is that which races can or can't cross breed hasn't been nailed down yet. So far I think humans and elves are the only viable pair suggested.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:22 am

Quote :

Yes.

Currently, it has been confirmed by Karbo that humans can breed with Elves and with Fairies. ...and Harpies as well, since Harpies HAVE to breed with other species to reproduce.

Keep in mind though:
- Human x Elf: The offspring would look nearly human. The amount that his/her ears are pointed probably depends on which parent he/she takes after more. If the child tends to favor the Elf parent, it can be assumed that they have great potential as a mage, given Elves' natural affinity for magic.

- Human x Fairy: There are two main possibilities.
1: The child will look nearly human. They will posses great magical abilites, inherited from the Fairy parent. They will not be able to use fairy size-shifting magic. They could live amongst humans, and pass for human (or a Human/Elf hybrid) with relative ease.
2: The child takes after his/her Fairy parent more. They are born with wings. Fairy wings act like magical superchargers/focusing arrays, so they will have more fairy-like magic, and may actually be able to use fairy size magic. Because they have wings, they'd never be able to be a part of human society.

- Human x Harpy: The child is always a harpy, and always female, since the mother's reproductive system manipulates the genetics to get that result.

Other human-like species such as Nekos and Inu are currently unknown.

The general consensus is that it would be impossible for humans to breed with any tauric species at all. So, no nagas, dridders, mermaids, and just about everything else besides Elves, Fairies and Harpies.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:43 am

Yep, as a rule of thumb, tauric species are out.

The fairy offspring looks like sort of chaotic mix of possibilities... but that suits fairies and their chaotic nature.

An interesting idea could be that the child is influenced by the magic potential of their human parent - i.e. if a powerful mage reproduced with a fairy, the child would be very fairy-like, while if someone with low magic reproduced with a fairy the child would look more human. This sort of alludes to fairies reproducing with elementals and creating viable children.

As for neko's and inu's...

Well, it's still up in the air, but my guess would be a yes. The body structure is still similar. A child of such a pairing would likely water down the animalistic traits (so not so much of the fur in other areas of the body that some nekos are said to have, as well as no slit eyes or claws, if they were the sort of neko that has them.)

Heck, lots of Negavian nekos might have human ancestry due to the city's past... that would explain why so many seem to lack many animal traits beyond the tails and ears.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 11:50 am

Do nekos and inus really have anything against each other, or do people just think that because of the animals they represent?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm

They don't. The Cat vs Dog is popular folklore. The whole reason is about territory. Any of the two will be angry at each other as they see the other as an intruder. If you raise a dog and cat together, they will play with each other.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 pm

So then, outside of their own territory, a neko and an inu could get along well together?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Nyaha wrote:
So then, outside of their own territory, a neko and an inu could get along well together?

They live within the same city.

I'd imagine Nekos and Inu get along well enough, especially since humans in Negav tend to be distrusting of demi-humans in general. The demi-humans would have more in common with eachother than with humans most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Saironthis
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Saironthis

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 5:46 pm

Quick question. Did we ever establish a system of magic for Felarya?

And what I mean by "System" is this:

In Dungeons and Dragons there are spells cast by spell slots that are influenced by the attributes of the caster.

In Final Fantasy, spells are directly cast with MP, and you learn them by leveling up, buying them, what have you.

Or is it a case where there is no set system and you can use whatever magic you knew before coming to Felarya (in the case of humans)?
Back to top Go down
http://thatonedude236.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

The wiki exist for a good reason. Do not deny its existence as it will prove extremely useful in both near and far future.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Question: just how much do elves hate Faires and is the feeling the same? I mean I've seen examples but some people have told me that wasnt the full extemt of the hatred the two have towards each other
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 am

luke112 wrote:
Question: just how much do elves hate Faires and is the feeling the same? I mean I've seen examples but some people have told me that wasnt the full extemt of the hatred the two have towards each other

All members of one species do not behave in the same way, since every species is composed of individuals, who each have a mind of their own.

I imagine that small elves aren't particularly fond of fairies, who might eat them, and there's some history between elven and fairy kingdoms (yet to be finalised in the official chronology), but I would think only a small minority of elves have any reason to feel anything as strong as "hate" towards fairies, and vice-versa.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 am

ah thank you French snack for clearing that detial up. Smile
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
Marauder of the deep jungle
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Just to ask...I know Sirens are not in the wiki or anything...but since there are more than one type of Sirens is mythology like the mermaid form and then the humanoid land form...which would they be concidered as?...
Back to top Go down
http://kikijonson.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Why not both?
As I see it, "siren" is something that could be applied to more than one species.
It's a classification that species fall into, rather than being a species itself.

For example, mermaid sirens would be a species of mermaid. Humanoid sirens would be a subspecies of human or whatever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:42 pm

alright that make sense ^w^
Back to top Go down
http://kikijonson.deviantart.com/
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm

What kind of damage would something like a M72 LAW do to a perdator?
Back to top Go down
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Black Hole Fragment wrote:
What kind of damage would something like a M72 LAW do to a perdator?

This has been discussed before; the wound caused by an M72; loaded with a HEAT (High Explosive Antitank) rocket would be very serious or even fatal if you hit the correct spot. If you wish for further details PM me.
Back to top Go down
Iavlas
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 3:50 am

hey i was wondering, would the soil in felarya have an effect on someones mind? like say someone had a mental disease, would the soil effect that at all? (sorry if this has already been asked, but i looked with the search option, and i looked on the wiki it said it has alot of physical effects, but i was just wondering if there were any mental ones).
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:01 am

Iavlas wrote:
hey i was wondering, would the soil in felarya have an effect on someones mind? like say someone had a mental disease, would the soil effect that at all? (sorry if this has already been asked, but i looked with the search option, and i looked on the wiki it said it has alot of physical effects, but i was just wondering if there were any mental ones).

I think that would depend on the physical causes of the mental problem.

If you were born with a defect that affected your mind, then moving to Felarya probably wouldn't help. On the other hand, any sort of degenerative illness, with physiological symptoms leading to mental issues (physically affecting the brain), would probably be reversed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next