Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

General Q and A - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

I dunno why, but most of Black Aquilla's post is starting to make me think of Transformers in Felarya... Not sure how I feel about that....
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 am

Darkstorm Zero wrote:
I dunno why, but most of Black Aquilla's post is starting to make me think of Transformers in Felarya... Not sure how I feel about that....
Well Optimus would be horrified, and Megatron would end up being used as a toy by some random Ice Naga.

Really though, the reason I have an opinion on Sapient Mechanical Lifeforms is because of one of my character concepts, Nadleeh Thunderfist.

...She's a Giant Super Robot Girl.
Back to top Go down
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 9:59 am

Darkstorm Zero wrote:

De good original or Michael Bay version?
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 4:17 am

Original G1 toons.

I call Michael bays films "Bayformers".
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Ok I've been wondering for a while now; What would happen if something like a plasma weapon were to be fired inside the stoumch of a pred like a giant naga?l
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 pm

figure it yourself omg... A plasma weapon? what next? an atomic bomb in her mouth?
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
what next? an atomic bomb in her mouth?

wow you asked his next question Razz

As for his question: Fire a plasma weapon at point blank = you get hit with the splash = you die a "horrible painful burning plasma white hot omg it burns oh god why did I do this stupid idea in the first place I really should have just gotten that job at costco but noooo I had to go explore Felarya why the hell am I so dumb" kind of death. Though the pred would be severely burned at least.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Prof.Nekko wrote:
Krisexy26 wrote:
what next? an atomic bomb in her mouth?

wow you asked his next question Razz

As for his question: Fire a plasma weapon at point blank = you get hit with the splash = you die a "horrible painful burning plasma white hot omg it burns oh god why did I do this stupid idea in the first place I really should have just gotten that job at costco but noooo I had to go explore Felarya why the hell am I so dumb" kind of death. Though the pred would be severely burned at least.

ok Neko now you and Krisexy are being asses to my little bro, cut it out now. Very Mad You may not understand but he doesnt take this kind response well and honestly he's got enough problems with his selfesteam already. so you better frigging apologize and give a better answer then that. Hell maybe should you ask him "is it a Normal Person? or is it a person inside a sealed Armored enivromental suit? or something else like that". but Damnit the kind of replies you two made will most certianly discourage him from continuing the stories he has written on paper or is currently typing on his laptop.You've never read his stuff before but I have and I'll say he got some Really great stories. But if he saw that kind of responce he would think the commuity would be hostile to his ideas. Neko the only thing good about your reply is that the Pred would be Severely burned. Other then that the rest was just Totaly Unaccepetable. Normaly I wouldnt care what the hell you or Krisexy said to anyone else Inculding myself but Damnit I wont Let anyone Bully My little bro, Not In Real Life and sure as hell not online Not when Im around to do something about it.
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Ok. Kris, if you where not going to answer his question, why did you bother posting? Your jabbing was not helpful, and did not answer his question at all. Don't do that in the future if all the kid is doing is asking a question. I actually find the question understandable since we have been told a Naga's stomach can withstand up to a frag grenades worth of explosives.

And Nekko, I know you at least answered, but the condecension in it was pretty obvious, please refrain from that in the future.

Now, Black Hole, to answer your question, I'm afraid I must ask a few in return. what sort of plasma weapons are we talking here? A plasma grenade/explosive? A pulse plasma weapon like those found in Fallout? A plasma stream like those in Wolfenstein 2009? another variant?

Last edited by Darkstorm Zero on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Quote :

Now, Black Hole, to answer your question, I'm afraid I must ask a few in return. what sort of plasma weapons are we talking here? A plasma grenade/explosive? A pulse plasma weapon like those found in Fallout? A plasma stream like those in Wolfenstein 2009? another variant?

Well I have no Idea what is found in Woflenstein 2009, but I will check that out later. Now, the kind of plasma weapons I'm talking about is both the kind of pulse plasma weapon like those found in Fallout and another variant. But for convence( I don't think I spelled that word right), we will use something like the plasma weapons found in Fallout 3. For example, a plasma weapon like the alien disintegrator or alien atomizer. Also the Alien blaster.
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Ah, I see. we're talking about direct plasma energy weapons then.

Well, I'll assume we don't have the Plasma Spaz perk from New Vegas in effect, and what you get is a very focused form of plasma energy exchange at a specific target. with that in mind, Nekko's idea of a Plasma "Blowback" effect would not occur (With the exclusion of the Firelance). That said, I don't think a weapon with that low a power scale would actually breach the stomach. it'll hurt a lot to be sure, but it won't burn through at least on one shot. It would take 3 or 4 to make a breach, and possibly over a dozen to get outside.
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 1:40 am

Darkstorm Zero wrote:
Ah, I see. we're talking about direct plasma energy weapons then.
Darkstorm Zero wrote:
plasma energy
Plasma is not energy. It is a state of matter.
Plasma itself is not very good for piercing a target. It does damage simply because it is so hot. A lower energy analouge of a plasma weapon would be a steam weapon that shoots a jet of superhot steam at an enemy. Steam can be very damaging to flesh, literally scalding flesh off bone. Plasma is like that, except the process happens much faster because it's hotter. However, plasma jet weapons are inaccurate at range in an atmosphere as it is lighter than air so it both blooms and rises.

So basically, plasma jet weapons (ie; things that shoot a jet of unshielded, uncontained plasma) at an enemy are short range.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 3:10 am

Something all of you aren't considering that is important for this - the internals of a stomach would be a very humid environment. Your plasma weapon would be quite frankly useless in such a place. I cover this important effect in my own story - Warismat 'ponders' over the status quo of Mac's 'thumper-style' plasma weapon that he takes with him to the Anistasia colony. In humid environments when firing over time, the superheated plasma will atomize the fluids of the humid environment and 'cook' the air around it - including the wielder's body. Even a long range weapon such as his which utilizes a 'plasma envelope' is still going to generate the same problem for the wielder because of the way the 'charge' is developed.

Additionally, depending on the construction of the weapon the humid environment could cause dangerous electrical shorts to develop - and when you're talking about weaponized plasma, 'dangerous electrical shorts' equates to weapon blowing up in your hand.

In Mac's case, the fact that he was wearing assault armor, spread out his shots, and has scales instead of regular human skin prevented him from getting more than a mild case of 'sunburn' for a saurian - though this is a particular point I didn't cover because I didn't really see the need to focus on it other than to have Warismat point out that the weapon probably wasn't the best choice for their environment (though its destructive ability did pay off later). He also was firing on a planet surface where humidity can vary - inside a stomach, you're not going to be so lucky. So regardless of 'blowback' from a particular weapon, plasma is still a really bad idea. If the weapon is powerful enough to burn a way out of their body, it will almost certainly kill the predator in a painful way - it is definitively sure to kill you. As in, chance approaches unity - even with protective equipment.

With lower power weapons that cannot accomplish such a task we're probably looking more at causing the same affects as stomach ulcers - internal bleeding, attacks to the stomach lining, that kind of thing. Extremely painful. Potentially lethal. You're still going to die - either from the oxygen that you just caused to vanish, the digestion that was going to occur, or you severely injure/kill yourself in the process. Assuming you had some sort of armored suit, some kind of protective, self contained breathing apparatus and managed to survive to where the effects of said discharge in such an environment were somewhat mitigated and they also caused the pred to vomit you up (another typical side affect of ulcers), I can't see any reason why the pred wouldn't hesitate to bite down with you in their mouth or crush you once you're out for causing them such pain.

Given the amount of 'pain exposure' you may have had for your weapon choice, you might even want them too.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 am

Now that Aether has demonstrated the physical drawbacks of plasma, I do hope it's not too redundant to breach the topic of logistics involving plasma.

Plasma is a highly inefficient weapon. I'll say that now. As both of the previous posters have stated, plasma's damaging property is its intense heat. After all, it's gas with so much heat that the electrons are separated from the nuclei. It's hot as fuck. It's also pretty susceptible to magnetic fields, which potentially makes it able to be contained and directed. However, that method's a little expensive. Let's examine the potential uses for plasma as a weapon, though:

-Melting armor and potentially breaching it.
-Burning biological beings to death.
-Disrupting electronics through electromagnetic fields.

Wow, that's all? Now, it seems to me that all of those can be done just as effectively, if not more so, by cheaper, safer, and more well-established technologies. That's really all there is to it. Plasma itself is inefficient in the face of other, more specialized weapons.
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 am

What I was posting was with reguard to the fictional aspect, not nessisarily the scientific theory.

For example, the plasma weapon type that he was reffering to was specifically a pulse plasma based weapon from Fallout, which is generally reguarded as firing a concentrated plasma mass contained within an electromagnetic field. Not a stream of plasma particles like a gout of green flame or even a self contained "beam" of plasmatic mass.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Okay I have possibly a ground breaking question that Nyaha had asked me about earlier and we figured we'd ask it to the community who would like to answer it or point out the answer somewhere on the forum and wiki.

Okay so question is this... Do you think the Felarya-wide magic that makes all people talk the same language would apply to communication underwater? Example would your average human be able to understand a mermaid's song when they sing to their fellow mermaids under water? As well as would a normal person understand a chalaena who are able to change their chromatophores o reflect their mood and for communication between chalaena's. And would mermaids and chalaena's be able to understand one another singing or chromataphore changes?

Okay so I may have bent the truth more then a little on the question but still... any takers on the answer to the question please?
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:26 pm

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t577p15-language-re-addressed#16255

Not to blatantly advertise my own ideas, but that is a post in a thread I made a while back to try explaining the lack of a language barrier. While I admit that I never really went back and refined it, I think the general concept is this: the meaning we put behind words and phrases is transmitted along with the sound, due to the soil's "boosting" properties allowing all sapients to be mildly psychic (it's possible that this is an intended and specific effect, too, with few or no side-effects).

Now, the idea of non-verbal languages complicates this. The very concept of it may be somewhat alien to, say, a human. Thus, that human wouldn't really get it, though perhaps they could get some very vague sense of the meaning. To another of that species, a comprehension would come much more naturally.
Back to top Go down
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Well, taking a look at the wiki it is stated that it applies to the spoken word. It doesn't affect writing or anything like that. I would assume any sort of auditory-based language, unless extremely different than most (no animal to English, and for some reason I think mersong would be too far removed from normal language to be fully understood other than maybe a vague sense of what the intent might be), would be affected. Sign-language or such things based on sight or touch, smell, ect. probably wouldn't be translated. A chlaena's color-tentacle sign language wouldn't be, I believe, as it is visual rather than auditory.

Basically, if you listen to it, it's translated (with a few exceptions, perhaps, like mersong (?)), but if it has a base in other senses, then you had better find a good interpreter.

At least, that is my own idea behind it.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 12:39 pm

I think this was mentioned once, but asking again may be safe, do mermaids get sick or eventually die if they stay on land for too long and dry up? If yes, assuming the area in question is a sunny shore, how long would they stand being in direct sunlight before feeling weak?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 4:57 pm

while Im not an expert but after seeing a big fish out of water for maybe around 10 minutes before it experied, so with considering a human(ish) upper half a mermaid may last around 20 to 30 Minutes out of the water if its a hot sunny day on the beach. Im not too sure but its the best I can give you for a Human sizeed mermaid, for a gaint one... sorry bud cant help you there.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 am

I think mermaids have both gills and lungs, at least where Felarya is concerned, but I may be wrong. But even so, they probably need to keep their skin wet, at least to stay comfortable if not healthy. Considering that Felarya is a generally sunny place a lot of the time, I'd say maybe 25 to 40 minutes, myself, whether they be human-sized or giant.

Now, for my question. What I had meant to ask before with what Walking said is this: Can marine creatures like mermaids, chlaenas, and sea krait nagas understand each other underwater?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:36 am

Not quite sure if this has ever been asked... But what would the internal anatomy of a dryad be? You know organ-wise and the like. I only ask because of the fact that dryads are part plant so there may be organs that they don't need
Back to top Go down
MrNobody13
Great warrior
Great warrior
MrNobody13

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 12:50 pm

On the mermaid issue, I've a bit to contribute.

I studied fish for a while, and how long they can survive if on land. Interestingly, there is the African Lungfish. Like a mermaid, they can breathe air, and can, in fact, survive out of water. Even when dry, they can last several hours at a time on land. At night, when it is cooler and they are in less danger of drying out, they can go pretty much all night out of water.

Given that a mermaid can breathe air, it would be unlikely that they would become ill for at least two or three hours, and might survive even longer than that before finally dying of what amounts to heat stroke and the membranes of their gills getting so dry the cells die out.

So: 1-3 hours = Safe zone
3-6 hours = Get back in the water NOW.
6-8 hours = Dead

Either way, there is my own input on the matter.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Though that's a direct relevance to fish. I like to believe that hybrid species have strengths from both sides, so probably double those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 13 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next