Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

General Q and A - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Personally, I say wait for Karbo's word on human/fairy hybrid. From what I can tell, there is no single consensus and many varying opinions.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Solomon
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:18 pm

is it true Naga and Human can bread with each other?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 6:21 pm

No. In fact, they can't reproduce at all. They can't breed with dridders, or mermaids, or any other species, with the exception of elves.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Yes, also how can they turn into each other into bread, you daft little boy. Learn your basic spelling boy.
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Sehoolighan wrote:
Yes, also how can they turn into each other into bread, you daft little boy. Learn your basic spelling boy.

laugh out loud
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Solomon wrote:
is it true Naga and Human can bread with each other?

Nope.

In general, creatures are unable to breed outside of their own species.

Nagas can only breed with nagas, dridders can only breed with dridders, mermaids can only breed with mermaids, and so on. This is due to a variety of reasons, both genetic and physiological. Also it saves us the trouble of having to decide what the kids from cross-hybrid pairings would even look like.

There are a couple exceptions though:

- Humans can crossbreed with Elves.

- Harpies, an all female species, HAVE to breed with the male of another species to have a child. Some kind of mechanic in their reproducive process ensures that the child of that union is
ALWAYS female, and ALWAYS a Harpy though. Keep in mind, this is size-limited. Giant Harpies can only breed with giant males, and human-sized harpies can only breed with human-sized males.

- Dryads, because they use the pollen of wild plants around them, technically crossbreed with them.

- Fairies can "breed" with elementals, although, this is some form of magical union instead of a physical one. Since physically breeding with Elementals would be a very unpleasent, and potentially fatal experience.

There are also a few pairings that we just don't have any official word on yet:

- Human/Neko (or Inu) crossbreeding. Most people assume that this would be impossible, since they are much more different from a human than an Elf is. I would call this one to be right "on the fence" of plausability, personally. I can understand why different people say it should, or shouldn't be possible...and while I tend to side with "should not happen", it wouldn't bother me too much of this was allowed.

- Human/Fairy crossbreeding. As stated in my last post, there isn't an official stance on if this can happen. A good chunk of people in the various forum debates have been against it though.

NOTE: Keep in mind, inter-species sex is completely possible, since most have compatible parts. It just won't lead to any children.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 10:25 pm

rcs619 wrote:
- Harpies, an all female species, HAVE to breed with the male of another species to have a child. Some kind of mechanic in their reproducive process ensures that the child of that union is
ALWAYS female, and ALWAYS a Harpy though. Keep in mind, this is size-limited. Giant Harpies can only breed with giant males, and human-sized harpies can only breed with human-sized males.

I know I've covered this several times in the past, but it isn't some magical/mythical process without a name. It is essentially pseudogamy parthenogenesis aka gynogenesis. The only variation between the real life thing and what harpies do in Felarya is that some of the father's traits are expressed in the child (where as in the Earth example only maternal traits are expressed - ie no genetic material is shared).
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 am

itsmeyouidiot wrote:
Just a quick question: is it possible for a human and a fairy to have a child?

Yes definitely. The archmage Mezzus can confirm that ^^
The result would vary but in most case the baby would be wingless though
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:17 am

Karbo wrote:
itsmeyouidiot wrote:
Just a quick question: is it possible for a human and a fairy to have a child?

Yes definitely. The archmage Mezzus can confirm that ^^
The result would vary but in most case the baby would be wingless though

Can we assume that they would lack Fairy size-changing magic as well?

This would make the child, essentially, just a human that is very gifted in magic (due to one of his parent's being a fairy, and all fairies being extremely skilled magic users?)
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:18 am

I would buy that: wingless, with no shrinking magic, but gifted when it comes to other kinds of magic. That would prevent them to be godmodders, like fairies have been for some time.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 am

I am sure that some of the Hybrids would have the wings as well...but most likely still would not posses he same skills as a full fairy would...

Last edited by kikijonson on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://kikijonson.deviantart.com/
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 9:29 am

I have a quick question...how exactly would the Isolon Fists go about investigating a possible Fairy hybrid entering Negav?...
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 9:38 am

If they don't have wings, then it's pretty likely they don't have much fairy powers as well as it's *usually* stored there.
The fact an hybrid would have no wings is mostly a general tendencies, not an absolute rule, though.

As for a wingless hybrid, well as long as they don't enjoy humans as prey, I don't think they would have any problem to enter Negav. And they would pretty hard to detect as well ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 9:41 am

Wouldn't the identification spells around the walls, well, identify them as fairy hybrids?
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 9:43 am

How am I so post to know...no one ever had a Fairy hybrid character enter negav?...I'm just asking...

if the half fairy dosent use their fairy magic...shouldnt that keep them safe from detection?...
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 9:45 am

Well, there hasn't been any details added about those spells. I was just asking Karbo if they would detect the crossbreed.
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:28 am

i guess I'll talk to Karbo about it...
Back to top Go down
TheArchvile
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TheArchvile

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:49 am

Well, if they can't shrink/grow themselves or others, they couldn't eat people, so why would anyone care if they were fairy hybrids?
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 am

TheArchvile wrote:
Well, if they can't shrink/grow themselves or others, they couldn't eat people, so why would anyone care if they were fairy hybrids?

Eihcra can use shrink magic...but not growing magic...she dosent use it very often though...
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:00 am

My basis for the thought process of the Eye and the protective wards revolved around known absolutes.

Whomever it was that created the Eye and the city's wards, they were working with whatever limited knowledge base they had in order to create those materials. Additionally, one cannot achieve perfection through an imperfect system. There is more than likely not a bathtub curve diagram resembling material corrosion rates except in this case representing species and individuals that can enter and exit Negav.

In other words, the Eye acts as a general deterrent that keeps the common predator menace from getting into a sphere of influence around the city. The protective wards then act as either triggers to detect abnormalities or as specific protection protocols against creatures that are known to be able to bypass the Eye. As the knowledge of the maintainers rises, so then will the effectiveness of their warding spells.

We know for example that Dusk Nymphs are completely immune to the Eye. I'd say it would be fairly safe to assume that Nemesises also fall into this category, just by design. There are likely a number of other entities as well that can breach through the Eye. For whatever reason they fall outside of the saturation area for the Isolon Eye, to the left or the right of whatever our bottom axis represents in said bathtub curve.

Additionally, the Eye doesn't respond to certain individuals from a set species even though it would activate for another of that species - I think this is more a case of the absolute constraints of the magic that powers the Eye. The magic barrier of the Eye was probably designed to allow for certain breaks in it - intentional free access ports, if you will - where magiocrats could conduct magical experiments and engineering using magic that typically would be limited by the Eye.

These certain individuals then are just innately or intentionally able to take advantage of these loopholes in the security, and thus the generic identification wards and security guards would be the fallback should a powerful presence slip through.

For those of you who know my characters/read my story, then you know Liari bases her operation out of Negav as of Arc 1. She happens to be a fairy/succubi hybrid, and in one scene shrinks and eats three people. I'd say then from my own perspective standpoint Liari falls into the out-of-bounds criteria. She's not large and cannot manipulate her own size. Her magic is stored differently than a fairy's would be, and she seals her wings and tail with magical wards herself.

Her horns are her Achilles' heel, and though they are large/bulky she keeps them hidden away physically by a hat or other such clothing. (I'm still evaluating this though, because after more consideration I'm afraid there's no way this would be possible without some sort of illusion or charm magic on her part... using the hat as a reference point that she can weave the illusion around. Given her ability in those magical fields, it would probably fall through under close scrutiny.)

Her unique lineage is probably something the magiocrats have never encountered, and as such she falls outside of a 'general' protection spell and because her form would be so rare there are no 'specific' wards targeting her either. Thus it was in my determination of developing the 'believability' for her to be in Negav was due primarily to her rare design and secondly to her caution in using her magic within Negav.

At several points I call out how Liari tries to be careful, and how she also knows her limitations with regards to her magic and how it makes her horns glow. Even though I hadn't finished it, this was another point I brought up for Arc 1 Chapter 12 when Nyselyn and Liari progress further with their investigation.

With my pretense that Liari falls outside of the Eye's bounds, then she would only be limited by the wards. She probably wouldn't trip them however, given how little she actually uses her magic in Negav and due to her own unique physical makeup. I'd say that would probably be corrected should she ever be discovered by the magiocrats or their subordinate forces, as with some studying they should be able to devise a warding spell that could either identify or block her.

However, this sort of also goes back to the whole issue with management in general - Liari is one creature that retains a low profile and doesn't randomly go around eating people. She also doesn't have hardly any appetite for humans, and given her small (relative, she's tall from the reference of your average girl) stature she most would likely 'cloak' underneath the Eye's presence anyway, even without her uniqueness in lineage.

Anyway, that's my rationalization take of the subject.

Last edited by aethernavale on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kikijonson
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:04 am

the Isolon eye I am not really worried about...just Eihcra reamains relitively low profile...and dsoent eat humans at all (Her being half human makes the tough very unconferable for her)...she also has not reason to threaten anyone in the city...

what I am asking is when somehoe her cover is somewhat broken (THe Isolon Fist recieve word that there is a firy Hybrid in the city, but do not know who) ...how would they go about trying to locate them...
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:08 am

kikijonson wrote:
the Isolon eye I am not really worried about...just Eihcra reamains relitively low profile...and dsoent eat humans at all (Her being half human makes the tough very unconferable for her)...she also has not reason to threaten anyone in the city...

what I am asking is when somehoe her cover is somewhat broken (THe Isolon Fist recieve word that there is a firy Hybrid in the city, but do not know who) ...how would they go about trying to locate them...

Well I think the point of contention in this example is that the Negavian forces would have experience in dealing with fairy/human hybrids (assuming they can exist, which I suppose we're agreed on now being possible?). Given that they have experience in combating such hybrids, they would most likely have wards in place and personnel trained to identify/detect their presence through some means.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 am

Actually, Nemesises won't have a problem passing through the Eye since they're not giant.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:45 am

I think that the more specific stuff that the Eye would miss would get detected at the gates. I'm sure they have at least some magical detection and security. Can't be too careful on a dimensional nexus and deathworld....
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:48 am

Jætte_Troll wrote:
I think that the more specific stuff that the Eye would miss would get detected at the gates. I'm sure they have at least some magical detection and security. Can't be too careful on a dimensional nexus and deathworld....
They do. I have started a thread to help clarify said security
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 4 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next