Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

General Q and A - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 am

kikijonson wrote:
When it comes to summoners in Felarya...what exactly would they be able to summon and how would they go about forming a pact with them?...

Well, the usual summons besides undead should still work, although they would be of the Felaryan variety, unless your thinking of interdimensional summoning...

As for how such pacts are made or applied, I am not certain.
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
kikijonson
Marauder of the deep jungle
kikijonson

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:21 am

well...what exactly are they amble to form pacts with...elementals?...what kind of spirits?...or even certain beings?...
Back to top Go down
http://kikijonson.deviantart.com/
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 am

kikijonson wrote:
well...what exactly are they amble to form pacts with...elementals?...what kind of spirits?...or even certain beings?...

Demonic pacts, and elemental pacts are probably the most common ones I'm aware of. Pacts with ghosts can still be made, but necomancy is still out.
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Darkstorm Zero wrote:
kikijonson wrote:

Demonic pacts, and elemental pacts are probably the most common ones I'm aware of. Pacts with ghosts can still be made, but necomancy is still out.

I always thought it'd be fun to pull some Lovecraftian stuff, and maybe make a pact with beings that inhabit the space between universes.

It would really need to be demons or some other such thing. I still stand by my assertion that a summoner being able to teleport in random creatures from all over Felarya is a bit overpowered. That would be some high-level portal/dimensional magic or something.

Being able to summon demons or cosmic horrors who are already on another plane and can move themselves around? That seems like it'd be fine though.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Um... they mentioned "pacts". I'm pretty sure the inherent concept of pacts and contracts requires that someone physically encounters the creature you're summoning first. I don't think that counts as "random creature" anymore if the thing you summon is that specific.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 am

rcs619 wrote:
AzureJass wrote:
I know for a fact that Dryads can walk, but how fast/long can they walk ?

The vast majority of dryads only walk very rarely. They spend most of the time rooted in the ground, and will only uproot themselves when they need to move to a new location for whatever reason, be it necessity or personal preference. This is only done rarely because dryads are not really made for walking. They'd either need to crawl along on their roots, and/or twist their roots into some kind of rudimentary legs. Uprooted dryads are not that quick, and move fairly awkwardly. Not to mention, they can't really use their illusion camouflage when they're moving... since trees don't move normally, so catching food would be a lot more difficult on the move as well.

The wiki does mention "legged dryads", but it never really expands upon that idea or properly explains what they are. Quite a few people tend to ignore that part for those reasons, and because a lot of people think it sounds kind of un-dryadlike. Like, having a mermaid with legs and calling her a legged mermaid.

I see. Thanks Wink
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Darkstorm Zero wrote:
kikijonson wrote:

I always thought it'd be fun to pull some Lovecraftian stuff, and maybe make a pact with beings that inhabit the space between universes.

It would really need to be demons or some other such thing. I still stand by my assertion that a summoner being able to teleport in random creatures from all over Felarya is a bit overpowered. That would be some high-level portal/dimensional magic or something.

Being able to summon demons or cosmic horrors who are already on another plane and can move themselves around? That seems like it'd be fine though.

Lovecraftian...You dont mean what I think you mean, right? pale

On to other manners:

I was reading the wiki on Dusk Lilies and it made me think about mana. Just what is it and how can one increase the amount they have? For example, as a mage gets older in Felarya and continues to practice magic on a regular baises, will their amount of mana increase? In other words, is mana to magic as stammina to the body?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:23 pm

That's a very good question, and the answer is that, as a mage becomes better, he steals the energy of the planet and uses it to become even more powerful. This is why wizards are always 80 something men who somehow have almost as much energy as a 30 something guy. The only problem is that as more and more wizards get into prominence, the sooner the planet will eventually die, but I think that's a minor side-effect. So the next time you read about Gandalf and Dumbledore, just remember that they are killing the planet for the sake of being able to kill people more easily.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 4:32 pm

Black Hole Fragment wrote:
rcs619 wrote:
Darkstorm Zero wrote:
kikijonson wrote:

Lovecraftian...You dont mean what I think you mean, right? pale

On to other manners:

I was reading the wiki on Dusk Lilies and it made me think about mana. Just what is it and how can one increase the amount they have? For example, as a mage gets older in Felarya and continues to practice magic on a regular baises, will their amount of mana increase? In other words, is mana to magic as stammina to the body?

Mana is a predominantly gaming-centered term, and has always been a bit vague, and situational.

However, we do know some things about magic users in Felarya:

1: There seems to be a natural (genetic?) disposition for it. Some people are just born with a greater affinity for, and skill at, magic than others. While a wide range of people can potentially learn magic, especially in a magic-rich place like Felarya, some people are just naturally better at it than others. It appears to be hereditary to some degree as well, and also depend some on species (fairies and elves are generally more naturally skilled with magic than humans, for example).

A lot of it seems to be directly related to how much magical energy you can influence at once. Personally, I tend to think of mages as an intermediary, or a conduit. They are able to take magical energy from all around them, let it flow through them, alter it to suit their needs, and then re-release it to achieve their intended effect. If you look at it from this perspective, some people can just naturally let larger amounts of magic flow through them, allowing them to perform more powerful types of magic. Fairy wings tend to be seen as magical conductors or amplifiers, which I think also supports this viewpoint. Of course, this is all just personal opinion.

2: Mages do not necessarily have "unlimited ammo". The act of using magic can be both physically and mentally strenuous, and there's just a certain point where someone is going to reach their natural limit and have to stop. I don't think it is them running out of some imaginary substance, so much as it is just them reaching their limit of endurance. Like an athlete will eventually reach his/hers at some point or another. This would vary depending on the magical skill of the person, and the amount of work they were doing of course.

3: Magical skill can be improved with practice and training. Magic, at least in my interpretation and from some of the things I've seen, is really not all that different from anything else. The more you do it, the more your body and mind will gradually alter themselves to be better at it. Spells get stronger and magical endurance will increase. Formal education would help greatly as well, since refining the techniques you use to do something can often make doing it much easier and/or efficient.
Back to top Go down
Black Hole Fragment
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Black Hole Fragment

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Thank you rcs619 for your help clearring that subject up for me.
Back to top Go down
Solomon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Say I've been wondering for sometime now, are there males to the razia race, or are they an all female race much like harpies?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 12:21 am

It's not stated in the wiki, but I believe that nksrocks originally had them as a hermaphodite race, like slug-girls.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 3:54 am

When Felarya 'acquires' a sky does it do so with a consistent orientation? That is to say sun rises in the east and sets in the west, that sort of thing.
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 5:04 am

Actually no. You see, when it acquires a sky, the sun is always moving to follow traditional times of the day, but its distance may vary. One time, the sun was very close and burned everyone down in a fiery heat wave. The other time, it was so far away, it ushered in an ice age. And that's how Felarya exercises population control. Yes.
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:58 am

Shady Knight wrote:
Actually no. You see, when it acquires a sky, the sun is always moving to follow traditional times of the day, but its distance may vary. One time, the sun was very close and burned everyone down in a fiery heat wave. The other time, it was so far away, it ushered in an ice age. And that's how Felarya exercises population control. Yes.

Actually, Felarya always acquires a sky so as to maintain a somewhat consistent climate.

Was that supposed to be a joke?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 am

Waddya think?
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 am

Actually, I couldn't tell. You can't detect sarcasm or jokes on the internet.

Not without the proper plug-in at least.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm

What would happen if you were to try and drink Dyad sap? Like maybe medicinally or something.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 pm

mix it with various juices, maybe a bit of alcohol too, because alcohol cleans. (what many people STILL don't get, or refuse to acknowledge, is that potions also require alcohol otherwise it wont work. simple as that.) Dryad sap may be a valuable ingredient is what I'm saying, and I think it could work, just don't drink it straight. I don't think that'd do anything, or unless you apply it to a wound to make it heal faster.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
mix it with various juices, maybe a bit of alcohol too, because alcohol cleans. (what many people STILL don't get, or refuse to acknowledge, is that potions also require alcohol otherwise it wont work. simple as that.) Dryad sap may be a valuable ingredient is what I'm saying, and I think it could work, just don't drink it straight. I don't think that'd do anything, or unless you apply it to a wound to make it heal faster.

Well, also, keep in mind that with Dryads, they all have different effects. Fruit, leaves and even fluids like sap, saliva and likely blood, all seem to have different effects depending on species or even individual dryad. Just another weird part of being part-plant, i guess.
Back to top Go down
2Ron2R
Helpless prey
2Ron2R

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 5:27 am

Just in case it wasn't clear I was well aware of Felarya's climate protection measures on the wiki physics page and my question is not concerned with that. My question revolved around directions of sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moon-set. I'd also be interested in whether the portal's axis of rotation is always perpendicular to to the sun/moon or sometimes at an angle (though in the case of the sun this would in fact require a distance adjustment to maintain the same amount of solar radiation).

As of yet the only thing I can find touching the subject is in this thread: Travel Times and World Scale

rcs619 wrote:
Yeah, there are definitely some issues. The canopy thickness would depend on location. Certain areas, like Bulvon Wood are mentioned to have an exceedingly overgrown canopy. I imagine there are thin patches here and there in the jungle, and the occasional clearing. While its unsure if the sun would set East-to-West, its path could still be used to tell direction and time. Yeah, nighttime navigation in Felarya would really depend on luck. Keep in mind, the sky doesn't change constantly. It could keep the same for days, weeks, maybe even months before it shifts again. But yeah, I wouldn't rely on the stars or even the moons, myself.

This seems to indicate that it is undefined leaning toward not consistent. Odd for it to be undefined though, considering it is something anyone who lived in Felarya would notice. I could have sworn I had run into something more definitive at some point but maybe my minds playing tricks on me.
Back to top Go down
http://2ron2r.deviantart.com/
Solomon

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

I've noticed that no one has said anything about an idea walkingbyself and me created for a sea, has no one really not seen it at all?
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:

Okay I see. So all potions require booze? Huh. I learn a new thing everyday XD Any particular you''d recommend?

Quote :
Well, also, keep in mind that with Dryads, they all have different effects. Fruit, leaves and even fluids like sap, saliva and likely blood, all seem to have different effects depending on species or even individual dryad. Just another weird part of being part-plant, i guess.

Oh I hadn't realized that. Potion making just isn't a very well developed feild by the wiki's standards is it? I mean is there even a page dedicated to it? Also thanks for the advise. I'll keep in mind when I "brew" up some new ides. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Is there any information around about how much people would get paid? A general minimum wage or full time? Anything?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I tried to work some numbers, Bael, but I don't know how they worked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next