Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

General Q and A

Go down 
+75
Darth_Nergal
Emerald Electronic
Oldman40k2003
Venom Agato
vore4life99
DaNoob13
DarkOne
Ilceren
McKindle
2Ron2R
AzureJass
HeavenlessStar
Boris92
Malahite
hhhat09
FalconJudge
jedi-explorer
EvilGenius
parameciumkid
Paltiel
Greyman
timing2
Rezec
/Fish/
Tango
Beefnautz
Pendragon
sadisticnerd
Axel Hunter
Archmage_Bael
MrNobody13
Darkstorm Zero
Black Aquila
ZionAtriedes
Iavlas
Silent_eric
TryMeIke
French snack
Saironthis
walkingbyself
Black Hole Fragment
Primeval Hunter
Nyaha
Krisexy26
gwadahunter2222
Vaderaz
zersergathant
TheArchvile
TheLightLost
AisuKaiko
itsmeyouidiot
CauldronBorn24
Slimetoad
Feadraug
Amaroq
macdaddy
The Ultimate
Claire
sparkythechu
Pim18
Jasconius
kikijonson
Anime-Junkie
luke112
aethernavale
Shady Knight
buddha66667
Prof.Nekko
Karbo
Jætte_Troll
Solomon
Sehoolighan
Grave
rcs619
Stabs
79 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

General Q and A - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 11:53 am

Actually, Para brings up a good point, right? O.o The dimensional gate by Negav, it could be used to teleport to Safe Harbor, making the trip back quicker and hazard-less, right?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Nyaha wrote:
Actually, Para brings up a good point, right? O.o The dimensional gate by Negav, it could be used to teleport to Safe Harbor, making the trip back quicker and hazard-less, right?

Far as canon makes explicit, the gate in Negav is only known to go to other worlds. You'd have to ask Karbo if it can lead you anywhere else. The Great Sagolian Gate, on the other hand, is only capable of linking to other portals, it doesn't just go anywhere either.

Standard portals are generally two-way, though we know of one-way ones... but one thing you can be sure of is that if you wanna get to Safe Harbor through a portal, you'll need a portal that leads to Safe Harbor. So far, I don't know of any... and besides, IMO, if these two locations got connected with a portal, Safe Harbor would become pretty damn pointless, pretty damn fast.

If you need a two-week trip, as you said, I recommend the river. Use a wind-powered, shallow draft* vehicle and go somewhere the shallow waters would make a giant mermaid feel restricted.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:30 pm

I don't see the point about connecting Negav with Safe Harbor, actually, but this reminds me of a conversation I had with Karbo when he was thinking of making 'Murmur' canon. Basically, the problem was that the innkeeper, Grigor, was intended to make a quick trip every month to Safe Harbor for supplies. Actually, from the inn's location (near the Forest of Whispers) to SH could take, what? Three weeks or more? Bad timing for an inn, right? So we came to the conclusion that we needed dimensional magic to answer Grigor's one-week-off to that town.

We intended it as something special, as something that should be for that ocassion, and thought of a hired magician to help him with that. I'd like to give it a further explanation in an upcoming story, though, but we never thought of it as something that would make Safe Harbor pointless. Precisely because of 'Murmur' and its odd location. Connecting Negav and Safe Harbor... We are talking of one of this world's biggest cities and a little town, and maybe it's just me but I don't see the point.

Anyway, as far as I know, the Negav gate is between worlds, not between locations in Felarya. Also, remember that when relocating outsiders, if they reach Negav they have a chance to go back home if the gate is connected to their world, otherwise they have to begin a new life in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Okay, I see what you guys are saying. :3 Thanks for all the ideas, too! ^.^ I agree that using the river seems like the best bet, however....The only problem with that is that my character's weakness is water, and if travelling the river, it seems to make her presence on the trip rather meaningless. On the other hand, maybe I can work that fact into the story. Nyu, I'll figure it out. Thanks guys! ^.^
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 12:56 pm

You're welcome. And in my opinion, I think that this weakness could be well played in a story, and if you use the river for that, don't be scared to use it. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Nyaha wrote:

Well, keep in mind who runs the Dimensional Gate.

It is the main trade-route into Negav, and it is run by the Magiocrats. There is no way they would close the gate to valuable offworld trade even for a moment, to connect to some tiny little village out in the middle of the forest that has nothing of value to them. Not to mention, they'd probably need to get the exact coordinates, which means sending out scouts, and taking measurements, and it's just a whole lot of effort for nothing to them. Remember, it isn't the Ur-Sagol gate. It doesn't run on wishes =P
Back to top Go down
Solomon
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Does Fiona have any dislike towards mermaids especially after having to deal with a blue mermaid we all know by the name of Anko?
Back to top Go down
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 2:18 am

Shady Knight wrote:
Quote :
Maturing isn't exactly what I am asking for.

wiktionary wrote:
Adjective
mature (comparative maturer or more mature, superlative maturest or most mature)
Fully developed; grown up in terms of physical appearance, behaviour or thinking; ripe.

Okay, my hands are off, I should have been more elaborate with my words. sorry sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Solomon wrote:
Does Fiona have any dislike towards mermaids especially after having to deal with a blue mermaid we all know by the name of Anko?

I'd wager EVERYONE develops a dislike for mermaids after crossing paths with Anko.
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
itsmeyouidiot

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Solomon wrote:

Well, keep in mind not all mermaids are necessarily as annoying as Anko.

Last edited by itsmeyouidiot on Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 4:47 pm

I find Anko to be a lot of things and annoying is not one of them. Dat's just me tho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 6:57 am

Are chlaena capable of regenerating lost limbs?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 8:39 am

The wiki has nothing and I could have sworn that there had been a previous discussion on whether or not chlaena had any regenerative capacity. However, I can't seem to find it so I suppose there hasn't been one.
You're welcome to start a thread about it though.

As for my own opinion; I think that they would have some capability seeing as octopi do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:29 am

GlobFish wrote:
Are chlaena capable of regenerating lost limbs?

Anime-Junkie wrote:
The wiki has nothing and I could have sworn that there had been a previous discussion on whether or not chlaena had any regenerative capacity. However, I can't seem to find it so I suppose there hasn't been one.
You're welcome to start a thread about it though.

As for my own opinion; I think that they would have some capability seeing as octopi do.

We have had this discussion before. I can't find it; more than likely buried in one of the longer threads. I found my discussion on the dridder side of this but that's because rather than using search I just went through all my posts one by one. Found my discussion about chlaena beaks as well, which was earlier in this thread. Not the regeneration though.

Octopi are one of the groups that actively use autotomy (along with spiders, crabs, brittlestars, lobsters, lizards, salamanders, etc) which means invoking the loss of limb for a survival purpose. Usually ditching a limb to allow escape from a predator. Species that use autotomy are capable of regenerating any appendages naturally designed for this. This means that an octopus can regenerate its arms (that's what they're called) if lost - in fact, some species will actually eat their own arms if they can't find food. Females do this during gestation of eggs, but the female dies afterwards (which appears to be genetic programming) so no regeneration is allowed to occur.

I think we can say safely that Felarya's chlaena are not as short lived as the variety we have here on Earth, so if they are autotomic and we do base that on their Earth relatives then yes, they can regenerate arms. I recall from the previous conversation that there was some dissentia about it, like there was with my suggestion that dridders could do the same thing (which I still purport that they can, and actively use it with my own species).
Back to top Go down
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
McKindle

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Do giant predators have surnames? Would a predator was brought up in a society based around a more traditional family unit have one (like an Aloes elf?)
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 3:11 pm

McKindle wrote:
Do giant predators have surnames? Would a predator was brought up in a society based around a more traditional family unit have one (like an Aloes elf?)

This question was on my mind as well and I was leaning towards giving my giant predator characters surnames. I don't see why some couldn't or shouldn't have them. The only tricky part (for me) is determining what the surname should be based off of. I tossed around the idea of using the mother's given name as a surname and I've also considered using the tribe/flock name as a surname. The father's given name could be used too but for some reason I doubt that idea would be very popular.

Oh, I almost forgot. In a traditional family unit I'm certain one of the parents surnames would be carried over.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 11:21 pm

I think surnames would appear where needed - i.e., in a large society, where not everyone knows everyone else and where different people may have the same given name. The first surnames would probably be either parent names (i.e. "X son of Y", or simply "X Y", where "Y" is the name of one of the parents), or a description ("X Carpenter"), especially where trades are a family affair and children traditionally follow in their parents' footsteps.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Does Balfrezagg have a neko population, at least a small one?

If it's connected to Felarya, I might assume that if there's no native nekos, there might be imported ones there, for a multitude of reasons...
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:55 pm

As far as I know there isn't a requests / lost & found thread or anywhere else better to ask, so:
I read a story back during the "write about a guardian protecting some kind of treasure" contest that was about someone climbing a mountain during a snowstorm and about to freeze to death when she found an entrance to a warm cave where a naga lived guarding some treasure, which was in a deep hole such that nobody could retrieve it anyway. They were both trapped inside due to the harsh conditions on the mountain outside, so they lived there ever after.
Anyone else remember reading this and possibly who wrote it and where it is? I searched all over the Felarya group gallery and in DA's search function but turned up nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 11:36 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
As far as I know there isn't a requests / lost & found thread or anywhere else better to ask, so:
I read a story back during the "write about a guardian protecting some kind of treasure" contest that was about someone climbing a mountain during a snowstorm and about to freeze to death when she found an entrance to a warm cave where a naga lived guarding some treasure, which was in a deep hole such that nobody could retrieve it anyway. They were both trapped inside due to the harsh conditions on the mountain outside, so they lived there ever after.
Anyone else remember reading this and possibly who wrote it and where it is? I searched all over the Felarya group gallery and in DA's search function but turned up nothing.

Hmm. I thought it was by NSFW-Studios, but I can't find it either.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Does anyone have any idea how the Rosic Neko village might work, and how they might react to certain things? Anyone with experience using them? As you probably know Silent-Eric seems to be difficult to get ahold of nowadays. DX
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Assuming an exploration or adventurer's party came from Negav, how would they cross the Shard river, seeing as the nearest known bridge is located at the Ur-Sagol ruins, which forces whoever who wishes to cross it to go through the Fairy Pond?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 7:46 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
Assuming an exploration or adventurer's party came from Negav, how would they cross the Shard river, seeing as the nearest known bridge is located at the Ur-Sagol ruins, which forces whoever who wishes to cross it to go through the Fairy Pond?

There are likely many other potential crossing points. Bridges, fallen trees, and more.

The map does not and cannot show all landmarks.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I noticed on the wiki that elementals are described as being unorganized in terms of civilization, with lava elementals being an exception. However, I also noticed under chronology that there was an earth elemental princess (who died) known as Malyra. Wouldn't this imply that there is an earth elemental civilization somewhere near that of the lava elementals (as they are described as neighbors)?

On a similar note, how can Malyra be a princess? Given that elementals cannot breed and simply "come into being" and take a shape, how does she have that royalty signature?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:28 pm

^ That is a very good question. I have no idea at all.
And I have one of my own: is it plausible for an RP to end up canonized, at least in a vague form? If something that happens in the RP is so awesome and world-influencing that it bears worthiness of note in the wiki? I'm curious since it'd be pretty awesome if that happened to an RP in which I'd participated.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Q and A   General Q and A - Page 33 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Q and A
Page 32 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next