Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe

Go down 
+10
Black Hole Fragment
rcs619
ZionAtriedes
luke112
Archmage_Bael
TheLightLost
Feadraug
Anime-Junkie
Karbo
justpissoffalready
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 pm

seriously...both of you are right. there MIGHT be parallel universes as well as other universes, completely different from one another.

Quote :
"Herp derp, I wanna have it connect to Earth, I'll just make it a parallel Earth". No, just no.

thats the choice of the author. I for my part believe it connects to earth even if there are no obvious portals.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Black Aquila
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Black Aquila

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 12:17 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Why do they all have to be slightly different copies of the SAME universe?

Why not allow for a bit more creativity?

The universe is all about scale. Planets orbit stars. Millions of stars make up a galaxy. Millions of galaxies make up a universe.

Why can't we just take that concept one scale higher? Where the multiple universes are all unique? Where they are floating around in...well, some kind of space, like the galaxies that float around within them?

If we are REALLY going to do alternate universes being copies, then Felarya should only be able to connect to ONE of them. We have it to where time-travel is impossible. NO ONE should be able to meet themselves from a parallel universe.

Why can't other universes simply just be OTHER universes? Why have them be an exact copy of the same thing, with the same stars, same worlds, same people? Just so some authors can go "Herp derp, I wanna have it connect to Earth, I'll just make it a parallel Earth". No, just no.
They aren't exactly the same, just functionally so since the difference between them is SO minute it has no noticeable effect.

The thing is, the Multi/Omni/whatever-verse is so infinitely vast, that you can have whatever the hell you want!
It's just that there WILL be an infinite number of variations of that whatever, and small handfuls of them are going to be SO similar as to appear identical.

Now, does this mean that there is a chance you could meet someone so similar to yourself as to be another "you"?
Yes, but given the odds of coming across a single universe so similar to your own out of the literially infinite number of them, you'd be more likely to become a damned GUARDIAN first!
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 12:35 pm

Quote :
The thing is, the Multi/Omni/whatever-verse is so infinitely vast, that you can have whatever the hell you want!
It's just that there WILL be an infinite number of variations of that whatever, and small handfuls of them are going to be SO similar as to appear identical.

I just can't agree with mirror-universes. It makes reality seem so small, and like its just a jumble of copies of the same thing.

I personally think that all the universes are their own seperate, unique things. It makes the multiverse much more vast, and much more impressive. Every person, every planet, every animal would be totally unique in all of creation... Not just one of a million different outcomes of the same person/planet/animal.

Parallel universes make for good TV, and allow comic book writers and movie makers to get away with ret-cons, but as an actual theory on how reality really is, I just don't buy it.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Err... One of my characters comes from an alternate Earth and the multiverse hasn't imploded yet. But there are many things for sure...

1. The character can have a past in 'another Earth', but what makes a character interesting is in how they react to the Felaryan setting, how they survive and adapt and become another Felaryan character instead of 'usual guy from usual alternate Earth'. Still, this can be applied to anyone from another world.

2. This should be a very rare thing. Better to have your own setting for your own world rather than just borrowing an alternate Earth.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Just to clarify: Felarya is indeed not known to connect to Earth via stable portals, and therefore presumably doesn't.

It may, however, connect to Earth -our Earth- via random, uncontrolable connections which bring Earth-dwellers into Felarya against their will.

But deliberately getting from our Earth to Felarya? I think not.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:36 pm

French snack wrote:
Just to clarify: Felarya is indeed not known to connect to Earth via stable portals, and therefore presumably doesn't.

It may, however, connect to Earth -our Earth- via random, uncontrolable connections which bring Earth-dwellers into Felarya against their will.

But deliberately getting from our Earth to Felarya? I think not.

Well, the character who I was talking about wasn't brought to Felarya via portals, but some dimensional-screwing experiment... but as I said, who cares if the character finally settles and is just as Felaryan as the guy standing next? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe   Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats it like outside of Felarya? The expanded universe
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2