Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Merfolk City

Go down 
+5
Vaderaz
Krisexy26
Anime-Junkie
Karbo
Shady Knight
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 pm

This has bothered me for too long. There is a mention of Merfolk City in the Topazial Sea page and the Mermaid page mentions that those at sea live in underwater cities. So here is my blind description I wrote in a side-story.

Merfolk City

Danger: High
Inhabitants: All kinds of mermaids, Ichtys

Merfolk City is a common name given by humans about the underwater cities where mermaids live. The cities are a marvel to look like, spanning at least three times the size of Negav. The architecture is a sight to behold, crafted from a multitude of sea shells, corals, stones and aquatic metals, and turned into towering houses thanks by powerful magic. While these houses are huge for a human, they are seen as normally sized for the many giant mermaids. It's not uncommon for these buildings to have jewels from the depth adorned on the sides during crafting, which gives a an awe-inspiring luster when day breaks. A multitude of gardens can be seen over the side of their "streets", ranging from seaweeds, coral, kelp, sea sponges and even sea anemones.

Merfolk City is one of the few places in Felarya where giant and small mermaids can be seen living together. For whatever reason, the cities are neutral, and many odd friendships between aquatic predators and preys have been forged there. This is also where one can see a high concentration of Ichtys in their natural habitat, nurturing young mermaids when their parents are off hunting. Indeed, the cities are mostly seen as a place to go when not hunting. The cities are highly dangerous to humans. First of all, reaching a city alone is a feat, considering one must dive incredibly deep while avoiding all of the oceanic predators. Plus, while mermaids and ichtys live hand in hand there, humans are still considered little snacks within their borders. However, given the rarity of small humanoids in these cities, many mermaids will fight among themselves trying to determine who gets to eat it.

That's all I have in mind for now.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 6:09 am

Mhh actually I had the same idea of thinking a bit about a merfolk city ^^
I'm not really sure how it would like but your post is a good basis to start
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 7:59 am

The first question for this is "where?"

This can't be just anywhere in the sea, because it assumably has to be on the seafloor, and the seafloor is really, really deep. Deep enough that most of the creatures that human seamen see wouldn't be able to survive due to the pressures.

I'd say a reef because a reef has coral and rock, it's, in which case, it's gonna have the kind of fish and mermaids based of fish that live in coral and obviously, around reefs.

The second is "How & Why?"
You've said that the coral and stone has been shaped by magic. Who's magic? Who did it? Why did they do it.
There needs to be a reason for the place to exist.
Look at Negav, it's a human (formerly neko) settlement location on the former border between two empires. Its tactical and strategic location, in addition to its economic location (ascarlin & diamond mines) means that is has prospered and been built up into what it is in modern Felaryan times.

Quote :
and aquatic metals
Metal? In an ocean? An ocean of salt water?
Nope.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 8:21 am

Okay, metals are a bad idea. Also, have you read citIES. Plural, multiple, more than one. This is not a single place but a common term. Also, did you read what I said? It's a place where mermaids go when not hunting. The sea is dangerous, so it's a rally point. Or to be even more precise...

The mermaid wiki entry wrote:
They [Mermaids] are said to have a few large underwater cities in Topazial sea and they regularly go there to mate or simply spend time with their kind.

This. This is the reason why they would make those cities.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 pm

its an excellent idea Smile

but how would they build it? with...tree water's trunks?
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 2:45 pm

tree water trunks pft .. xD
I see it being made primarily of stones
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Or giant coral reefs and other aquatic materials.
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 pm

It doesn't need to be all the way on the sea floor, it could also be on the side or slope of an underwater mountain. Have you seen a topographical map of the Earth's Oceans? They aren't all flat. There's mountains, ridges, and lots of variation all throughout. You will also be surprised the amount of life can with stand "crushing" depths (crushing as viewed by humans, that is). I see these cities completely unlivable for humans, which is just fine. Everything doesn't need to be "prey-safe".

Also, as a counter argument it's worthless to relate mermaid's similarity to humans, as they are clearly not human at all, and therefore have a completely different biological build. Just eliminating that as a counter argument.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 6:10 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
It doesn't need to be all the way on the sea floor, it could also be on the side or slope of an underwater mountain. Have you seen a topographical map of the Earth's Oceans? They aren't all flat. There's mountains, ridges, and lots of variation all throughout. You will also be surprised the amount of life can with stand "crushing" depths (crushing as viewed by humans, that is). I see these cities completely unlivable for humans, which is just fine. Everything doesn't need to be "prey-safe".

Also, as a counter argument it's worthless to relate mermaid's similarity to humans, as they are clearly not human at all, and therefore have a completely different biological build. Just eliminating that as a counter argument.

I really doubt it would be a true "city" in the way that we tend to think of one. Building, well, buildings is largely useless for undersea creatures, and I could imagine quite a few mermaids being extremely uncomfortable to be cooped up in an enclosed space. It would probably be more of a gathering point than a true city. Just a place where mermaids congregate.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 1:22 pm

That's too easy though, I mean of course normally you'd think that, but there has to be some thing that defines a mermaid's culture apart from just being a normal fish. Architecture and building things in general is a good start. Felarya is big, and mermaids are intelligent. I'm sure there's something. Maybe the buildings they make are within the hills and mountains under water, gigantic series of caverns, but instead of looking like normal caves with stalagmites and such, it'd be more refined, from being carved out from inside the mountain.

Also, remember that just because mermaids are big doesn't mean they're on the top of the food chain. I'm sure having hideaways would still be useful.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:02 pm

This thread does give me an idea to improve (or at least I think it improves) my own idea for a submerged city.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm

sidenote: its not all mermaids that are anko-size and its not every mermaid that are neera-size.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Merfolk City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merfolk City   Merfolk City Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Merfolk City
Page 1 of 1