Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Omen Fairy (name for now..)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Qwuillin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Qwuillin

Omen Fairy (name for now..) Empty
PostSubject: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 3:38 am

Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’ve been looking at Felarya for 2 weeks, so might put some of the info down wrong .

My idea is Omen Fairies:

Description: Omen fairies are lean and skinny, and are an all male species. They are wingless, but store their magic in tattoos which are there from birth. They can use all types of magic except for darkness and dimensional magic. They have a fixed size of 3-4ft. They mainly use fire, thunder, illusional and aura magic, which power is taken from other and the users’ mood, and turned into energy. They normally carry a weapon of some sort, whether it be a sword, to just a stone. They use these ‘weapons’ to channel their magic. They have a varied metabolism, which changes depending on food shortages or sources. Their hair is actually quills, which ‘sheathe’ and ’unsheathe’. When unsheathed, their hair is messy and long enough to go over their eyes. When unsheathed, it sticks up, almost static, unless the omen uses thunder magic it will stick statically. They learn a special martial art, which takes about 50years to master. They are considered a delicacy to large preds

Young: Not much is known about them, except by 5years old they reach their max. size and stop developing. (This is a little technical,)Being an all-male species, they use illusional magic to pose as another species of fairy. They find a female mate who falls in love with the omen, who then court. After courting, the omen leaves. The female fairy then becomes pregnant with ‘1’ baby. Well, that’s what the female thinks. She actually has more than 1, but 2 babies (for every 1 baby of the females species, 1 omen is also born, 2 female species baby, 2 omens, etc…). The omen(s) are normally orphaned into the wild, but on rare cases the female looks after the omen baby/babies.

Back-story: Omen fairies are thought of came to Felarya just before the great war against the Correctors. They disappeared after the war, as they were being hunted to extinction, and hide in mountains, away from any other life forms. Some believe the omen fairies had something to do with the war against the Correctors, but in fact in was an unlucky coincidence, and in fact NO omen is truly evil. People, especially humans, believe they are evil though…

Mood: Not used to positiveness towards them, many omens don’t take an intelligent beings seriously, especially nagas. Friendships with an omen are rare, but all omens are friendly towards each other. They are normally sarcastic, sadistic, skittish, but courageous.

Diet: Omnivores, they eat insects, insectiods, and vegetation/plants.
Eating insect (iod) s gives them anti-magic properties. They love fruit and veg (healthy ^^). They also eat carrion. They don’t eat any thing else though.

Societies: They wonder by themselves, sometimes meeting other omens. They have no territories, and inhabit all areas, except the fairy kingdom, which they were banished from when the great war happened.

Species: The species only differ slightly with magic abilities, skin, eye, and hair colour.

Language: Most omens can speak all languages native to Felarya, even animal languages. Their own language uses an ancient language, accompanied with quill and body language.

Dislikes: Closed in spaces, water over knee-depth, and any being who is about a foot taller

Willpower: Omens have an almost legendary willpower, and has been reported climbing out of a large preds mouth! They never go down without a fight, and in a preds case, and very annoying long battle.

I might have forgotten something, but then Ill add it later. I am open to any suggestions to improve the omen fairy!
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 am

There are quite a lot of contradictions in their design. First of all, being born with tatoos is impossible. A tatoo is something you add to a person's skin. If they are born with this, then it's a birthmark, not a tatoo. Second, the one-gender species is something I wholeheartedly disagree with as it doesn't really contribute to their traits. The quill hair makes them look less fairy like, but the actual problem is how do you sheathe and unsheathe hair? There has to be a place where the quill go when not in use. Also, saying that they can use all type of magic save for two is a misnomer, especially since you actually specified what type of magic they use. Also, it's never specified why these fairies were hunted down, or if there was any practical reason to hunt them to begin with. It just seems tacky. Overall, there's not much to them. They're not bad, but they're not great either.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:16 am

Adding on to what Sean said...

These don't really sound like fairies at all, no wings, not really insectioid...

Also, an "all male species doesn't work. All female species work because females are the ones who actually produce children. Males don't do that. Therefore, this species can not reproduce.
Unless you meant that all the females were killed off. That's a different matter.
Quote :
Species: The species only differ slightly with magic abilities, skin, eye, and hair colour.
Lastly
Race =/= Species.
Dictionary definitions of...
Species: A group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding.

Race: In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences.

Different races can interbreed with other. Different species can not. Races exist within species. Their differences are (genetically) minor, like hair colour and skin tone.

You are talking about races there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Qwuillin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Qwuillin

PostSubject: Re: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 6:24 am

Ok, I guess
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 9:45 am

Qwuillin wrote:
Hi, I’m new to the forum. I’ve been looking at Felarya for 2 weeks, so might put some of the info down wrong .

My idea is Omen Fairies:

Description: Omen fairies are lean and skinny, and are an all male species. They are wingless, but store their magic in tattoos which are there from birth. They can use all types of magic except for darkness and dimensional magic. They have a fixed size of 3-4ft. They mainly use fire, thunder, illusional and aura magic, which power is taken from other and the users’ mood, and turned into energy. They normally carry a weapon of some sort, whether it be a sword, to just a stone. They use these ‘weapons’ to channel their magic. They have a varied metabolism, which changes depending on food shortages or sources. Their hair is actually quills, which ‘sheathe’ and ’unsheathe’. When unsheathed, their hair is messy and long enough to go over their eyes. When unsheathed, it sticks up, almost static, unless the omen uses thunder magic it will stick statically. They learn a special martial art, which takes about 50years to master. They are considered a delicacy to large preds

Young: Not much is known about them, except by 5years old they reach their max. size and stop developing. (This is a little technical,)Being an all-male species, they use illusional magic to pose as another species of fairy. They find a female mate who falls in love with the omen, who then court. After courting, the omen leaves. The female fairy then becomes pregnant with ‘1’ baby. Well, that’s what the female thinks. She actually has more than 1, but 2 babies (for every 1 baby of the females species, 1 omen is also born, 2 female species baby, 2 omens, etc…). The omen(s) are normally orphaned into the wild, but on rare cases the female looks after the omen baby/babies.

Back-story: Omen fairies are thought of came to Felarya just before the great war against the Correctors. They disappeared after the war, as they were being hunted to extinction, and hide in mountains, away from any other life forms. Some believe the omen fairies had something to do with the war against the Correctors, but in fact in was an unlucky coincidence, and in fact NO omen is truly evil. People, especially humans, believe they are evil though…

Mood: Not used to positiveness towards them, many omens don’t take an intelligent beings seriously, especially nagas. Friendships with an omen are rare, but all omens are friendly towards each other. They are normally sarcastic, sadistic, skittish, but courageous.

Diet: Omnivores, they eat insects, insectiods, and vegetation/plants.
Eating insect (iod) s gives them anti-magic properties. They love fruit and veg (healthy ^^). They also eat carrion. They don’t eat any thing else though.

Societies: They wonder by themselves, sometimes meeting other omens. They have no territories, and inhabit all areas, except the fairy kingdom, which they were banished from when the great war happened.

Language: Most omens can speak all languages native to Felarya, even animal languages. Their own language uses an ancient language, accompanied with quill and body language.

Dislikes: Closed in spaces, water over knee-depth, and any being who is about a foot taller

Willpower: Omens have an almost legendary willpower, and has been reported climbing out of a large preds mouth! They never go down without a fight, and in a preds case, and very annoying long battle.

I might have forgotten something, but then Ill add it later. I am open to any suggestions to improve the omen fairy!

Ahem. Please allow me to rework this idea:

Lets go through step by step.
Omen fairies are an all male species. Well, why not make them an all male tribe. That makes more sense. Or perhaps is some kind of fairy monk thing that males do sometimes. Some kind of fairy religion.
They are wingless but store their magic in tattoos which are there from birth. This is an interesting concept. It just has to be reworded. At a young age, Omen fairies' wings are cut off, and they are tattoo'd with runic script, which allows them to access their magic.
They can use all types of magic except for darkness and dimensional magic. Well, here's the thing. Most mages can only use one type of magic. So each individual one wouldn't have all the magicks. Just one each. But limitations are always good, and no dimensional magic is a huge drawback that makes up for the removal of the wing weakness. And of course, no dimensional fairy magic means no size changing for them or others. Going into what kinds of magic they prefer is really unnecessary.
They normally carry a weapon of some sort, whether it be a sword or just a stone. They use these weapons to channel their magic. Hmmm... Weapon mages are fine, but I think shouldn't be used with these fairies. They channel their magic through their tattoos I think. Having them carry weapons means they are militaristic in some fashion. Presumably they only use it in defense, meaning it isn't necessary to state that they have weapons. It's assumed.
Varied metabolism thing. Don't know what that means actually. Omit it.
Quill hair idea. This seems silly. Perhaps this should be for a different idea. Cool looking, but not really a fairy trait. Save it for another idea instead of sticking it in here.
Special martial art. This seems fine. In fact, it seems to reinforce the idea that these are fairy monks, not a race or a tribe.
Considered a delicacy. Well. Listen, In Felarya, lots of things are considered delicacies. More likely than not though, these fairies live in the Fairy Kingdom, and therefore aren't in a huge amount of danger from giant preds. Most races don't eat themselves.

Young. This entire section is made unnecessary due to the fact that they are still fairies, just ones that gave up their wings and got tattoos.

Backstory. You are implying that these fairies came to Felarya? They aren't natives? Well, that's possible. But using my new idea, this section is omitable as well. The whole war thing seems strange as well.

Mood. Hmmmm... Friendly with each other, distrusting of outsiders. Skittish socially, but courageous in battle. Sadistic doesn't seem to fit. Sarcastic is not usually a trait across an entire group.

Diet: Omnivores are fine. No need to go into specifics. Omnivores implies they eat everything. Eating insects does not give people anti magic properties. That is a positive trait given with no drawback, so from a design perspective it doesn't make sense either. Perhaps they farm fruits and vegetables, since they live in the relative safety of the Fairy Kingdom. Eating carrion seems weird and has no explanation as to why they do. They aren't vulture harpies. Hm... vulture harpies, I'll need to remember that idea.

Societies: They wander by themselves and have no territories. To fit with my changes, they do hold several small monastery territories in the fairy kingdom, but some individuals also wander Felarya.

Species: They are fairies.

Language. Fun fact, there is a spell worked into Felarya itself that allows all intelligent species to understand each other, regardless of spoken language.

Likes and dislikes. For an entire race, this is unnecessary. They aren't clones. They are individual people. Use this kind of thing for character bios, not whole groups.

Willpower. This doesn't need it's own section. They are willful, got it.

So, let's review your work. It's a good base idea, but you need to learn a bit more about Felarya as a setting. Better than most first tries I think. I think you had a lot of interesting ideas, but many of them don't fit together. Spread out these things into multiple concepts. Let me summarize my own idea that was based on yours.

Omen Fairies. (Silent Eric Version)

Omen Fairies are a cult of fairies that can be found in several small primitive monasteries throughout the Fairy Kingdom. They only allow males to join them. The first test for initiates involves removing their own wings to show devotion. Over a period of several years, they continue to pass tests, and are awarded an array of runic tattoos for each passed test. By the end of their trials, the fairy is covered in runic script that allows use of their magic once again. However, although the runes enhance and unlock their magic powers, it is unable to grant them their dimensional fairy magic, meaning they can no longer change the size of themselves or others. The rest of their time is spent in contemplation, and training their magical prowess as well as perfecting their martial art that they learn during the tests. As a result of this, Omen Fairies tend to be powerful fighters.

Omen fairies get their name from their beliefs in a set of prophecies that their first member, Albir Quincy uncovered. These prophecies' specifics are a well kept secret among the order. Omen Fairies are distrusting of outsiders and are extremely insular, protecting others of their order over anything or anyone else. However, should any dangerous insectoid creatures be found in Fairy Kingdom, they will band together and attempt to slay it. This has led some to believe that the prophecies has something to do with such insects.

Other fairies tend to regard them as a bit nutty, but tend to tolerate them. The Omen fairies in return are willing to perform small services for fairies, healing injuries and granting hospitality to any who ask. They are also accommodating of humans and other prey species, allowing them to stay as well. But should an outsider fairy come to visit, they will gladly allow the visiting human to be eaten.

In addition, when making an idea, feel free to add more things that compliment it, like so.

Blue Mountain Pass Monastery

Located at the base of the Blue Mountain in Fairy Kingdom is a typical example of an Omen Fairy monastery. It consists of a few small huts and a tilled field growing vegetables and sogram tastimus, as well as an orchard of drakewillows.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Qwuillin
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Qwuillin

PostSubject: Re: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Yep, MUCH better. The quill thing did seem a little wierd. If they do have antenna though, I would like to stick to the 'static' idea. Basically their antenna does not bend like other fairies. My wording and spelling can be horrendous a lot of the time, and found it hard to get the idea across...

I think for the whole stone idea, it was meant to focus the magic into it, to use it as a weapon. Example: A sword could be given fire properties, like heat and burns. A rock could be electrified, and thrown. A gun could 'shoot' magic further. Basically a normal object, could be turned into a weapon, and a weapon an element of some sort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Omen Fairy (name for now..)   Omen Fairy (name for now..) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Omen Fairy (name for now..)
Page 1 of 1