Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The conflict, final resolution

Go down 
+15
PrinnyDood
French snack
Archmage_Bael
Pendragon
TheArchvile
Silent_eric
Krisexy26
Sehoolighan
Feadraug
ZionAtriedes
Karbo
Shady Knight
Prof.Nekko
Anime-Junkie
Darkstorm Zero
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

The conflict, final resolution Empty
PostSubject: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 pm

We have made a breathtaking step in the right direction today, the first step at resolving the conflict that has plagued our fare community in the universe of Felarya since 2009 AC.

Quote :
Originally posted in the Chatbox following the now deleted announcement to end Felarya's creative input

Spoiler:

It is with great cheer and releif that we have avoided this potential disaster, and I personally want to thank all involved in this proccess, and a Special thanks to Karbo, for listening and hearing us in what appeared to be our darkest hour.

Last edited by Darkstorm Zero on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://darkstormzero.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:22 pm

This was a triumph.

This is something I wished to achieve with the letter. It's taken this long, but it seems we're finally seeing the dawn of a resolution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Anime-Junkie wrote:
This was a triumph.

I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm

I would make a big cheesy speech, but I want to break the obvious joke. Hopefully we get better communication with the creator from this point on.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Addendum   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:38 pm

I would also like to invite Cliff AKA rcs619 and ZionAtriedes to return to the forums so we can finally sort out the last few peices of this conflict, when they are ready. I firmly beleive nobody should walk away on a sad or bad note, and that we can sort this mess out together.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:52 pm

indeed this is a much happier ending ^^

That decision was just so heavy of consequences it was breaking my heart...
However on that thread there was two very important things that still very much remain.
The first is that I just can't go on like this any longer. It's a simple constatation from me. Managing the forum , DA, the community, my drawings, the manga, and my job all in the same time is proving to become simply an impossible task.
So yeah, like I said I will take a step back from the forum from now on. I'll name several more moderators and give the mods more extended privileges than they have now and I'll intervene more rarely in confrontations, letting the mods regulate them as they see fit.

The second is that Felarya is *not* a community project... Some weeks ago when I made that statement on a thread in the forum, I received some hostile responses that honestly dismayed me because it made me realize that, with time, many have come to see it naturally as such... It's a view that will always clash with mine and probably the one thing on which I simply won't make any compromise.. To me Felarya was, is, and always will be not a community project, but a project open to the community. The difference may sound small but it is not ^^; I want to make this clear for everybody who contribute..

Anyway hopefully this will make the forum a much lighter and enjoyable place from now. And Silent-Eric was right with his intervention in the thread : it's all about having fun Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Darkstorm Zero wrote:
I would also like to invite Cliff AKA rcs619 and ZionAtriedes to return to the forums so we can finally sort out the last few peices of this conflict, when they are ready.
I had already been considering this. While I cannot speak for Cliff, he and I are on good terms, and I will try to talk with him. I have served as a voice of reason to him in the past, just as he has for me. I do not blame him for his anger. Slings and arrows were cast upon both sides, and some were wounded worse than others. Cliff certainly took his share, and more, and it is no easy task to recover from that without some bitterness. Karbo, I have already asked that you rebuild the bridge with Cliff, and while I was somewhat disheartened by your answer, I will ask once again. Sure, he's not perfect, but who is? This drama isn't the fault of any single person. It's an amalgamation of various problems that have simply been gathering for far too long without any resolution.

However, calling this a "final resolution" is irresponsibly premature. A great triumph it may be, with notes made and satisfaction hard to overstate, but we have not addressed the roots of it all. As I have said, I believe one such root to be a discrepancy between the mindsets of the forum and dA. Many people are caught in-between, while others are firmly within one or the other. My own suggestion is that we do try to make critique a little softer in some cases, especially with newcomers, while also making it clear that critique is not a bad thing at all. Also, if anyone still has anything to say, my thread is made specifically for portraying your own unique viewpoint and allowing everyone else some insight.

It's a pity that I had to work today, and thus went to bed before this conversation happened. I would like to say that I was one of the people that firmly viewed Felarya as a community project. I still do. While it would take an idiot of the highest caliber to not acknowledge Karbo as the obvious leader of said project, much of the universe owes its existence to community members. I find it unfair not to give them the respect that such efforts warrant. I will admit that if I had come back from work to find that the shutdown decree had not been overturned, I would not have taken it very well, as I would have seen it as a massive smack in the face to everyone who had tried to help. I am very glad it did not come to that. It is always good to discuss things reasonably.

Speaking of this, however, another major root of our dilemma is how respect is given around here. People like Cliff and JT find it insulting that they're held at the same level as any newcomer from dA that writes about Bleach and Naruto characters in their stories. They have a genuine interest in aiding the setting's growth and development, have made conscious efforts to improve their writing and art for this goal, and yet... are spurned when some upstart begins pointing uneducated claims of unfairness in their direction.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:03 pm

I wouldn't call this a final resolution either, but at least it looks a better step than previous ones... I hope this time I'm not wrong.

Also, I'd like to apologize for being a bit too emotional the other day in the other forum. I know I have already excused myself, but I need to repeat myself to make it clear. xD And remember that I'll be there if you actually need me for help. Ask nicely first, though. ;P

And remember: be helpful and respectful. That's my moto.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Sehoolighan
Survivor
Survivor
Sehoolighan

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Either way, tis good to see that de temporary down-time is over (hopefully) and that we all get along again. A community in shambles leaves many alone.
Back to top Go down
http://sehoolighan.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:04 pm

ZionAtriedes wrote:
Speaking of this, however, another major root of our dilemma is how respect is given around here. People like Cliff and JT find it insulting that they're held at the same level as any newcomer from dA that writes about Bleach and Naruto characters in their stories. They have a genuine interest in aiding the setting's growth and development, have made conscious efforts to improve their writing and art for this goal, and yet... are spurned when some upstart begins pointing uneducated claims of unfairness in their direction.

I disagree a bit with this statement. It's like...a vote. It's not because you are older that you can vote twice. Even if he's a newcomer, it doesn't mean he does not have to be unheard at all. And just another example: I'm older than cliff, but I arrived after him. Of course, he knows the setting better than me, but still, we are people behind those silly nicknames. And zion, it's not everyone on da that writes about bleach and naruto Razz

Also ehm...in this little conversation (btw, I'm talking as a complete outsider of this conversation, though I'd loved to be there...) I saw a bit of ehm...profiteers. Like...it's not mean and all, but something that got my eyes from this convo is darkstorm zero saying something like "you can give me the modship". Now now now, don't start yelling, I see the good intention, but since I'm not naive, I also see the bad side of this comment.

to karbo: you want to bring more mods and all, that's alright. Make sure though that it's not only those who were there in ventrilo that are being named moderators. Like...:/ you know what I mean ( fais juss faire en sorte que ça soit pas ceux qui était là dans ventrilo qui soit moderateurs, va en chercher ailleurs aussi, du monde qui le mérite.)

also, I'm very happy that this has been solved, but keep in mind that it's not everything that has been solved. some members still dislikes each others.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
I disagree a bit with this statement. It's like...a vote. It's not because you are older that you can vote twice.
It's not about age or time of forum-joining. It's about contribution. I have forum-seniority over the majority of people here (including both Cliff and JT), and yet, I would not presume to have done as much as they have. I'm not asking for an oligarchy... merely a little consideration given for merit.

Krisexy26 wrote:
And zion, it's not everyone on da that writes about bleach and naruto Razz
Oh, of course not. There are a lot of good authors on dA. However, most of them are there to showcase their own works, receive comments, do commissions, etcetera. They aren't part of the dA culture, the culture of doing RPs in every comment box and profile to beef up views and comment counts, the culture of brazen praise for anything and everything, the culture of viewing all critique as malicious and hostile. Simply put, the majority of good authors and artists do not use dA as a primary social-networking site. Perhaps I am biased, but people who fit into that category tend to be the ones I see as causing a lot of problems.
Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Quote :
However, calling this a "final resolution" is irresponsibly premature.

Well, make of that what you will. I called it a resolution of the situation which was rapidly escalating to what appeared a total forum shutdown. We did narrowly avoid a worst case scenario, and for that I for one am glad. My own words rang close to true yesterday, we very nearly did have a MUGEN style meltdown. I pray it never comes that close again.

Krisexy26 wrote:
Also ehm...in this little conversation (btw, I'm talking as a complete outsider of this conversation, though I'd loved to be there...) I saw a bit of ehm...profiteers. Like...it's not mean and all, but something that got my eyes from this convo is darkstorm zero saying something like "you can give me the modship". Now now now, don't start yelling, I see the good intention, but since I'm not naive, I also see the bad side of this comment.

Beleive me when I say this, I would rather not. I have enough responsability of my own to deal with. However, I offered my aid to Karbo, whom I have known since 2003, in the interests of helping him and this community, and I have no desire for power and control here and never did. The only reason I did so is because of my experience in moderating and adminship of forums much larger and more complex than this one, which require in many ways much tighter reigns to keep under control. Now, personally, I do not want that here. I'm quite happy to remain a member that is free of that kind of responsability. However, as Karbo stated, he also wants to feel free again, to not carry the burden alone, and I offered to shoulder some of that weight, nothing more.

You and anyone else can read into that what you will, but I will rebuff any suggestion that I have selfish motives hidden in my words. I don't want power and control. All I want right now is to do my best to save this community, and I beleive my experience would be good to use for that. I also do not mind the idea of stepping aside should I be called to do so.

Last edited by Darkstorm Zero on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:
I disagree a bit with this statement. It's like...a vote. It's not because you are older that you can vote twice. Even if he's a newcomer, it doesn't mean he does not have to be unheard at all.

Oh man that makes sense. Everyone is equal so don't give preferential treatment. Just because they are from DA or a forum veteran doesn't mean they should get treated any differently.

Krisexy26 wrote:
to karbo: you want to bring more mods and all, that's alright. Make sure though that it's not only those who were there in ventrilo that are being named moderators. Like...:/ you know what I mean

Wait what? So we should discriminate? Don't get all vent members why? Shouldn't we not treat anyone differently based on where they choose to come from or spend time at? Rather than trying to choose who or who not to pick shouldn't Karbo just pick who he trusts to do a good job regardless of whether they are DA or Vent or whatever? Knight them with the Felaryan Sword of Moderation.

Felaryan Sword of Moderation

A magical relic found in the Ur-Sagol ruins. This sword now resides in Negav, where Magiocrats use it in ceremonies to publicly anoint others to position of power. It is said to hold great power, and a Magiocrat will have it on their hip whenever a person is banished from Negav, usually a death sentence to the unlucky offender.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
TheArchvile
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TheArchvile

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 pm

I think, myself being from Quebec, that Krisexy didn't quite mean it that way Eric. Something got lost in translation...

And Krisexy, I really don't see this as some sort of power game, Darkstorm really is one of the best candidates we have right now, just because he knows it too doesn't mean he's coveting the position. Yeah it might seem convenient, but I believe him when he says he'd rather not.

Being a mod isn't supposed to be a reward... It's a job, a responsibility. I tend to question just how good of a moderator someone can be if they perceive being a mod as some sort of privileged position. It's more of an honor than anything else, you can be happy about being promoted, since in a way it's a sign of trust, but that's as far as it should go...

I'm glad this has been somewhat figured out with everyone's best interests in mind, especially Karbo. It does look like this is the best solution possible for now, at the very least it is an excellent first step towards a more stable community, and a happier, less sleep deprived Karbo... Smile The only problem I see is that relatively few members around here would make good mods... Mostly because of activity levels, though.
Back to top Go down
Silent_eric
Silent_eric

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 pm

TheArchvile wrote:
I think, myself being from Quebec, that Krisexy didn't quite mean it that way Eric. Something got lost in translation...

Ha ha ha ha. I was making a joke really. I go on the vent so maybe I got defensive? I dunno. I understand what she meant, and she has good points, but I like poking holes in things that are worded in contradictory ways. Besides, it was an excuse to put down that almost fourth wall breaking sword of moderation. Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
http://silenteric.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Silent_eric wrote:
Ha ha ha ha. I was making a joke really
Half of a joke is tone. That's how people tell you're making a joke.
Unfortunately, telling a joke with text is more difficult, as nobody hear hear the tone of voice, because it isn't there. So unless the joke is something obviously humours, like pik elephants, people won't know it's a joke.

This is why Ventrilo is better for jokes and everything that should be spoken in a certain tone really.
Back to top Go down
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Silent_eric wrote:
I like poking holes in things that are worded in contradictory ways.
You'd make a good Ace Attorney.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
This is why Ventrilo is better for jokes and everything that should be spoken in a certain tone really.
HOLD IT! (Still running with the AA joke.) You wouldn't be... blatantly advertising, would you?
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:18 am

ZionAtriedes wrote:
A great triumph it may be, with notes made and satisfaction hard to overstate, but we have not addressed the roots of it all. As I have said, I believe one such root to be a discrepancy between the mindsets of the forum and dA.

Honestly, It seems to me you are generalizing a lot here and are painting an exaggerate picture of this. And it seems our opinions will always be at odd because, like I said in the "talking time" thread, I don't want to see members sorted by their "usefulness" to the community. I simply don't see things like that at all and I don't want Felarya to end up being this kind of place.
Felarya is to me a place where, first and foremost, everyone is entitled to have fun. And I don't see not respecting the cannon as some sort of grave offense. To me, being rude and ruthless is a much more serious one. The wiki is a tool, it's not an absolute iron rule that everyone must follow for fear of grave consequences. Again, Felarya is not meant to be THAT serious.

ZionAtriedes wrote:
I would like to say that I was one of the people that firmly viewed Felarya as a community project. I still do

Well that's another impasse. As I stated in that now deleted thread, another root of many tensions in my mind, is that, after having contributed a lot to the world, some people want more than just credits on a wiki page, and think they are entitled to decide on its direction and to where it is headed and push for it.
That's something I can understand and me I might just want the same if I was a prolific contributor imagining ideas for another's universe.
However that's something I am always going to resist and oppose. And it's not a question of mis-respect or something, it's simply a line drawn in the sand for me since the start. Keeping 100% free creative rein and being answerable to nobody is the sine qua non condition for me to continue to work on this world. It's the term of the deal so to speak. and really, nothing is going to ever change that.
I suppose we can agree we are disagreeing...

TheArchvile wrote:

Being a mod isn't supposed to be a reward... It's a job, a responsibility. I tend to question just how good of a moderator someone can be if they perceive being a mod as some sort of privileged position. It's more of an honor than anything else, you can be happy about being promoted, since in a way it's a sign of trust, but that's as far as it should go...

Yes definitely. Being a mod is actually not such a desirable position. It's work, it's not a very grateful one, it can be taxing emotionally and it comes with responsabilities and a duty of being neutral. It's probably a lot less fun than many people believe ^^;

Back to top Go down
Darkstorm Zero
Darkstorm Zero

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:42 am

Karbo wrote:
Honestly, It seems to me you are generalizing a lot here and are painting an exaggerate picture of this. And it seems our opinions will always be at odd because, like I said in the "talking time" thread, I don't want to see members sorted by their "usefulness" to the community. I simply don't see things like that at all and I don't want Felarya to end up being this kind of place.
Felarya is to me a place where, first and foremost, everyone is entitled to have fun. And I don't see not respecting the cannon as some sort of grave offense. To me, being rude and ruthless is a much more serious one. The wiki is a tool, it's not an absolute iron rule that everyone must follow for fear of grave consequences. Again, Felarya is not meant to be THAT serious.

See, this I can understand, there is a difference bitween fanworks, and canon material. For the most part, when people want to use the felarya Setting, they should be under no illusions as to wether or not it would be made official by Karbo, and should not seek such from him. Deciding which outside content that should be made canon is at the sole discretion of Karbo and no other, nor should he feel pressured one way or the other about choosing as such. He will ask the creative member who made the peice wether or not the material they created could go in the Wiki, and make sure they read the disclaimer, after that, it should clear as day, and no harm done.

The Wiki is not something really to aspire to anyway, it's simply their as an information service, and those who seek to utilise non-canon material for further projects can do a little research here on the forum and DA. It's not hard...

The other part of it is simply this, people should not be judged based on postcounts, time in the community, contributions or any other label. People can judge for themselves another person based on their own interactions with them. If a newbie hs questions, then yes, the ones with more experience here can indeed attempt to aid them. This is where the mutual respect comes in, and why I asked the question in the talking time thread. Mutual Respect is a 2 way street. Both the new poster and the experienced one must show some digree of mutual respect. there's no need for older/experienced members to manhandle a new person, and likewise, the new person should not fly of the handle should they not get the response they crave to their question. That said, there is nothing wrong with seeking a 2nd oppinion, and new members should be encouraged to seek multiple points of view should the need arise.

Karbo wrote:
Well that's another impasse. As I stated in that now deleted thread, another root of many tensions in my mind, is that, after having contributed a lot to the world, some people want more than just credits on a wiki page, and think they are entitled to decide on its direction and to where it is headed and push for it.
That's something I can understand and me I might just want the same if I was a prolific contributor imagining ideas for another's universe.
However that's something I am always going to resist and oppose. And it's not a question of mis-respect or something, it's simply a line drawn in the sand for me since the start. Keeping 100% free creative rein and being answerable to nobody is the sine qua non condition for me to continue to work on this world. It's the term of the deal so to speak. and really, nothing is going to ever change that.
I suppose we can agree we are disagreeing...

In the end, the decision of direction is still yours reguardless of opposition Karbs, nobody can take that away from you, and anyone who tries should not be welcomed. That said, as I said in the chat, there is nothing wrong with asking for advice or listening to the members before finalising such decisions either. You either take the information on board or not. When you get stuck for an idea, you come here or DA to look for fresh ideas and perspectives, and conversely, if your dead set on something, wel then thats your choice isn't it? I don;t think Zion suggested that the community would take creative direction from you, I think all he really wants, and the same could be said for almost anyone, is that you hear them out before making drastic choices, as to wether or not you choose to take any of those oppinions on-board however, is still up to you.

Karbo wrote:
Yes definitely. Being a mod is actually not such a desirable position. It's work, it's not a very grateful one, it can be taxing emotionally and it comes with responsabilities and a duty of being neutral. It's probably a lot less fun than many people believe ^^;

it's not fun, and it's not supposed to be fun... A Moderators job, and indeed an Admins job, is to make things run smoothly and efficiently, making sure everyone is following the rules, and cleaning up messes when they occur, moving, closing or deleting threads. reminding troublemakers of the rules when prudent, that sort of thing. An Admin's job is even harder, as it is up to them wether or not to swing banhammers, create and maintain new forums as needed, making sure the upkeep of the site is maintained and all that jazz. No, it's a thankles task most of the time, and the fact that the staff volunteer to do this makes the sacrifice of their time, and sanity in some cases, all the more harrowing. I still remember both my first Modship, and Adminship... They where not plesanrt until I got some experience at it.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:17 am

Just a note on Felarya not being a community project and all that.
No one has really explained what they mean.
Karbo, you've implied that in a community project you would have to answer to other people in reguards to the creative parts of Felarya. I'm not sure you would. My own definition of "community project" doesn't include that. But it might include that to other people. It's obvious that it does to you.
In order to prevent confusion and to facilitate better communication you should define exactly what you mean by Felarya being a project open to the community, not a community project.

That aside; I have a suggestion. I'm not sure if it's good but it might help some things or it might not.
My suggestion is that characters are not to be included in the Felarya wiki. This prevents people aspiring to get their characters in there.
Characters are already a unique case in the Wiki. Permission can be denied for the use of characters. They're not disclaimed like other things are.

As I see it, people view getting a character in the wiki as some sort of validation. I don't think it should be like that.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 am

It's good to see everything getting all fixed. I was frankly worried about what was going to happen to the community.

So a few more experienced mods are gonna take the forum workload off of Karbo's back? It sounds like a plan I can work with.

Karbo wrote:

I can attest to this Karbo. Back when I was offered a position as a mod, I couldn't in all honesty accept it because of how biased I can be sometimes, not to mention my anger issues.
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 6:50 am

Don't think of me as a mod. As it has been stated before, being a moderator isn't a reward, but a position of high responsibility. I don't feel like I could have the guts to be a mod, mainly because I already know what it is and my big mistakes made in other forums. Didn't like the experience despite being a forum veteran. Sorry.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
Just a note on Felarya not being a community project and all that.
No one has really explained what they mean.
Karbo, you've implied that in a community project you would have to answer to other people in reguards to the creative parts of Felarya. I'm not sure you would. My own definition of "community project" doesn't include that. But it might include that to other people. It's obvious that it does to you.
In order to prevent confusion and to facilitate better communication you should define exactly what you mean by Felarya being a project open to the community, not a community project.

I have to agree with this a bit, as Karbo has already said "a project open to the community" and "a community project" aren't the same, but some people will think they are. So Karbo, could you elaborate a bit on what is your definition for both things, please? It would be helpful for some of us who have some doubts about it to clear everything and not make wrong steps because we didn't get things well.

Anime-Junkie wrote:
That aside; I have a suggestion. I'm not sure if it's good but it might help some things or it might not.
My suggestion is that characters are not to be included in the Felarya wiki. This prevents people aspiring to get their characters in there.
Characters are already a unique case in the Wiki. Permission can be denied for the use of characters. They're not disclaimed like other things are.

As I see it, people view getting a character in the wiki as some sort of validation. I don't think it should be like that.

I've never seen it like that either. I like to create interesting characters and the fact they aren't in the wiki doesn't make them less interesting or less worth our time. I guess many people should learn that, but still don't get it if explained. Although I don't know if removing the current characters would be the right thing to do. Just leaving those created by Karbo? Or just mentioning some examples of characters? I don't know... Need to think of it.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

Feadraug wrote:

I have to agree with this a bit, as Karbo has already said "a project open to the community" and "a community project" aren't the same, but some people will think they are. So Karbo, could you elaborate a bit on what is your definition for both things, please? It would be helpful for some of us who have some doubts about it to clear everything and not make wrong steps because we didn't get things well.

Ok well on my personal experience of those, in a community project, members have their say on which direction the general project go and decisions are taken by majority vote. You have a hierarchy that establish itself with posts given to some contributor who will handle different aspects of the project and ultimately, this is a collective, structured effort where every participant owe the whole project.

But to me, Felarya is something personal that was then opened to the community with the creation of this forum, so everyone could add their ideas and participate in the universe. However, its general direction remain entirely mine to decide and I'm not answerable to anybody regarding what end up being used or not and what I create for it. In a sense I'm on the driver seat and members don't decide on the route ahead. That's the big difference...

I'm aware this can be frustrating for some, as they essentially have to play by another's rules. but again it's something that must be really clear once and for all.

Anime-Junkie wrote:

well this is very... drastic. I'm not really sure it is feasible at all to be honest, or that it wouldn't create more problems in the end ^^;
I can see the merit of the idea though, as it would remove a good deal of the jealousy some people can feel.. but I'm afraid that would also make the world less rich and lively as a result, the connexion between characters being harder to keep track of..
Back to top Go down
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks for the explanation, Karbs. I had an idea in my mind and it's a bit like what you described. Anyways, I always had it clear that you had the last word in many things, so nothing to worry from me in that matter. Razz

And I think that if you make it clear for some people this point like you've done right now, the jealousy would go down. Can't be 100% sure, but it's worth trying.
Back to top Go down
Prof.Nekko
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Prof.Nekko

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Karbo wrote:
I don't see not respecting the cannon as some sort of grave offense.

Now I wanna get my 2 cents chimed in on this point here. While I do agree with you that it's ok for the canon to be smudged a bit (that's how Felarya is improved after all) I do feel that at least some respect for the canon be viewed. Think of Felarya as a wide road, with the middle of the road being canon. It's ok to not walk down the middle, just to the side of the road, but if you start driving off the road, bad things happen. If no one respected the canon, the hard work that was put into the wiki will be moot and rather then a tool it becomes that exercise machine in a 400 pound man's house, aka totally unused.

Case in point if the canon just gets completely disregarded we will soon find stories that mar the eyes of all who read it. Tales of the Daughter of Crisis and Subeta who can kick any guardian's ass with a twitch of her wrist and fires nuclear missiles from her Labia... in short a place of anarchy and insanity, much like the 1960s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The conflict, final resolution   The conflict, final resolution Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The conflict, final resolution
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next