Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?

Go down 
+6
ZionAtriedes
Karbo
Asuroth
Iavlas
Shady Knight
Nickonaquamagna
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Nickonaquamagna

Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Empty
PostSubject: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

For the record, we're going to assume that both specimens would be human sized, m'kay? No Harpy in a birdcage or Mermaid in a fishbowl.=)

(...though, admittedly, the image of a tiny Harpy perched on someone's shoulder does make me chuckle.)

If you live in a secluded area, like the woods or undisturbed countryside, a Harpy would probably spend most of their time flying around and hunting things, much like they would on Felarya. In fact, they'd probably rarely come "home" for anything besides sleep, if even that. Much of the time, it'd be like you didn't have anyone there to deal with. When they ARE around, though, they may not be very pleasant to hang out with. Brash and foul mouthed, Harpies could potentially be a HUGE downer. That isn't to say they wouldn't like you or that all Harpies are just mean. They would probably take a lot of getting used to, though. If you live in, say, an apartment and they couldn't leave without being discovered ('cept possibly at night), that could make them claustrophobic and add even more tension, making things worse for both sides.

A Mermaid, on the other hand, may be MUCH more pleasant to have around.... Buuuut, depending on the living conditions, they may be utterly, hopelessly dependent on you. If confined to, say, a bathtub, they'd either soak in eventually filthy, possibly very unhealthy water, or you'd have to spend a shitload to pay for water bills to provide freshwater. Most importantly, being confined to such a small space would almost inevitably make the Mermaid miserable. You could put a TV near the tub, or other things to keep her entertained, but that probably wouldn't help much. I think one of Frenchsnack's most recent stories described a Mermaid's need for space and a feeling of solidity that they get from being surrounded by water gives them, very eloquently. If you had, say, a pool nearby (provided nobody else uses it or can see it, but even that's a massive stretch), maybe they could stay in that. Hell, if you live near a lake, and they don't get sick from our germs, problem solved! Might be lotsa fun to swim around with a Mermaid. Though, climate is also an issue...

At the end of it all, bottom line is, a Harpy may not be the most fun to be around, but they could be pretty independent and probably wouldn't demand much from you. A Mermaid may be more mild mannered and bubbly, but depending on their living conditions, they may need a lot of help from you.

Soooo... I guess the idea behind this isn't as much "Who would you enjoy having for a roommate more?", as it is more or less "Who would you not mind as much?". XD
Back to top Go down
http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Assuming that you live in adequate conditions, a Harpy would be a great partner if you're doing some Rifftrax on movies. A mermaid would probably cheer you up if you're feeling blue, at the cost of fish.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Iavlas
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 pm

well, i would personally enjoy having a mermaid around more, more fun to talk to, more cheerful, not getting cussed out constantly, but it really is circumstantial, if the mermaid was confined to a bathtub, both of you would end up pretty miserable, but if you had access to a large body of water, that would make things a lot funner, or if you had a large network of slip n slides setup around your house Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Asuroth
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Asuroth

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 pm

More tough choices..I may have to go with the harpy though. Why? I laugh at the thought of just coming home and cursing at her just for that to be seen as a normal greeting. You can get away with more stuff with themand it just takes a bit more getting used to heh, and I do like the independent part.
Back to top Go down
http://asuroth.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Heh that makes me imagine a harpy, talking like a harpy but being actually shy and gentle. That could be fun XD
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
ZionAtriedes
Loremaster
ZionAtriedes

Location : Behind you. No, above! Oh, too late, I already got you. NINJA SKILLZ!

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Nickonaquamagna wrote:
Brash and foul mouthed, Harpies could potentially be a HUGE downer.
You seem to forget that Harpy is my first language.

No, but really, I am used to swear-filled environments, so that is of no consequence to me.
Back to top Go down
luke112
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
luke112

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 9:11 pm

Harpy because honestly Im already fluet in the harpy language from Xbox Live trash talking so it really wouldnt be that much of a difference.

Last edited by luke112 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Mermaid defiantly I may be able to curse like a sailor but I prefer not having to include such fowl language that harpies use when conversing with others.

So what if they seem at first high maintenance. But to me the fact your going to have a mermaid as a roomy means several things like the fact there's probably a decently sized body of water nearby as I highly doubt a mermaid would willingly move into a place that isn't located within five minutes of a body of water. Although that would kinda restrict you to a beach house apartment or an apartment complex close to a beach which are already expensive as hell but if your getting the mermaid as a roomy you really aren't to worried about your own living costs.

But if you were living in a city with very little access to any form of water other then the pool enclosure that would "hopefully" be apart of the apartment complex you live in... yeah then the troubles really get pointed out! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
TheArchvile
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
TheArchvile

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:15 am

This again!
Hmmm... I always wanted to add a large interior swimming pool to the house...
And in the summer when there isn't a foot of ice on the lake at the cottage the mermaid could swim free, although it's a rather creepy lake, with bad visibility and a ton of dead trees at the bottom, maybe she wouldn't like it.
On the other hand I could teach the harpy another language, like French or German, but never teach her the curse words! Laughing
Probably the mermaid... I dunno lol
Back to top Go down
Zoekin-3
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Zoekin-3

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Well I'd have to vote for the Harpy. (Kat's going to KILL me!)

I couldn't confine a mermaid to a bathtub or even a swimming pool. (I actually gave Aleski free access to a river in the Kittyverse stories.) But I think if I lived on a beach with a private lagoon I might be able to provide her with a good home. (Until Kat tried to eat her. Naughty Kat!)

I love birds of prey so I think I would get along better with the Harpy and she'd be free to come and go as she pleased. Her language would take a bit of getting used too at first but I'm sure I'd do alright in time.

Back to top Go down
http://zoekin-3.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?   Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Better Roomie 3- Harpy or Mermaid?
Page 1 of 1