Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)

Go down 
3 posters

Okay, I really need to decide on the final name... >>;
Harvestaurs
Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_lcap11%Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Opilli (Thanks MrNobody13 for this one)
Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_lcap78%Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_rcap
 78% [ 7 ]
Phalangites
Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_lcap11%Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 1 ]
Other(Specify in a post)
Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_lcap0%Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Empty
PostSubject: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:32 pm

EDIT: So, I found out that Kiki was doing something similar. Sorry, I only search the forum to see if ideas have been proposed before, whereas she posted hers on dA. Perhaps I'll use this to help her with her idea or vise-versa. I talked to her and she seems to be fine with it.

I figure I have nothing to lose from posting an idea here... If anyone has a better idea for a name, lemme know. And feel free to point out flaws or suggest things that you feel woul fit with this species.

Opilli (name by MrNobody13)

Opilli are a variety of arachnid tauric creature that are often classified as dridders. They can be best described as having the top half of a human, and the bottom of a daddy longlegs. As such, their human half originates from a single, ovular body segment with 8 long, flimsy-looking legs, and they are usually found within the height range of 60 to 90 feet.

Unlike dridders, Opilli have no venom, cannot spin any web, do not liquify their prey, and are typically omnivorous. They normally feed on any kind of plant matter and fungi alongside animals. They will eat humans, but will rarely attack them if they show up in well-armed groups. As ambush predators, they prefer to attack from higher grounds. They remain out of sight until the meal comes within range, at which point they leap down onto them and snatch it up before swallowing it, effectively making them "death from above" to their prey. As they lack the ability to drain the liquified insides of their prey, Opilli typically only attack what will fit down their throat in one piece.

Naturally, they themselves are targeted by carnivorous animals, and more intelligent creatures, mostly Harpies and squamataurs, will often attack them without hesitation, as well. When faced with an aggressor, the peaceful creatures rarely fight back, preferring to escape with great speed and agility. They also make extensive use of camoflauge; not only does their abdomen often resemble the bark of a tree, but they will often cover their skin and legs with leaves and vines to better blend in with the foliage of the forest. Opilli will also defend themselves, mostly when facing sapient preds, by secreting a foul-smelling substance that will turn most noses. Even particularly strong predators won't think to eat something so stinky. If the situation is absolutely dire, and capture is imminent, one may ditch a leg, which will twitch after the autotomy, to distract feral predators as they flee. Losing several legs will not hinder their agility, and in fact, Opilli rarely reach old age with all eight legs attached, though losing too many will certainly have negative consequences.

They are at home in damp, dark areas, and therefore, they mostly can be found in and around the Bulvon Wood, and are usually active mostly at night. When travelling about in absolute darkness, their second pair of legs are used as antennae, letting them feel the ground in front of them as they walk. They are typically highly reclusive, but they often get along with most other sapient non-prey species, even nagas, much unlike their dridder counterparts. Also, unlike many other giant predators, Opilli will often use various primitive tools such as simple ropes, crude stone knives, and, very rarely, weaponry, to aid in their survival. Clothing is also common on Opilli, with individuals using leaves, bark, and vines to cover themselves up as, aforementioned, a means of camouflage.

Last edited by AisuKaiko on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 2:34 am

As for Kiki, I think this idea is interesting ^^
Having a dridder-like creature having very long, thin legs can create a unique and intriguing sight, like the dridders are almost on stilts, a bit like the Qesjhatams ( Akaptor nomads )
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks, but could ya think of any way to help it better fit with Felarya? o: I do appreciate tips and critique for my ideas ^^;
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 am

mhh since they don't have the natural abilities of other dridders ( venoms and silk ) I could see them using tools to replace it.
Maybe being skilled with ropes, nets, in order to make up for that lack.

There is also the fact that having those very long thin leg can also be a huge problem : they are vulnerable and apparently fragile.
So I could imagine the Harvestaurs to be naturally agile so they aren't disabled even with several damaged legs and to be able to somehow regrow them pretty fast.
And rely a lot on camouflage, maybe even placing vegetation on their legs, to make them look harmless ivy or something like that. Just throwing some ideas ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Ah yes, good ideas o:

One thing, harvestmen cannot regrow legs. However, I have seen individuals missing one, two, even three or four legs and still being equally agile as they would have been with all eight.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Actually, they can. Shedding their legs is a common trick to escape predators while they're distracted at a flailing twitchy appendage.

Others simply use camouflage, or play dead, or spray chemicals, or bounce their bodies up and down so fast that simple-minded predators might find it tough to see or evne frightening
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh? I looked, and found that they do not. However, upon further investigation, sources are conflicting on the regrowability of their limbs. Is regrowth the correct fact? O:
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 12:42 am

I never saw that anywhere o3o I guess they only can shed one or two of their legs, otherwise they'd be sitting ducks
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 1:19 am

Well, I'm finding more sources against the regrowth of legs, so I'll exclude it for now.

However, I did make several changes to the bio, adding some of Karbo's suggestions and expanding a bit on a few details.

Also, a vote in the poll would be stellar :3
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 6:10 pm

As per the poll, this idea is now known as Opilli. O:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)   Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opilli (Daddy Longlegs Dridders)
Page 1 of 1