Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anna's morality

Go down 
+4
rcs619
Greyman
itsmeyouidiot
EdgedWeapon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
EdgedWeapon
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
EdgedWeapon

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 8:20 pm

This question popped up while I was reading Anna's bio on deviant art. It mentions that Anna would never eat another human being because of her strong morality (though smokers are something of a sore spot). Before this, I was under the impression that Anna was on the cusp of becoming a full blown predator because she had such a huge ego and because eating people tasted so good - "It's okay to eat them, I'm superior to them anyway."

I'm just asking out of curiousity, but how 'human' is Anna really?
Back to top Go down
itsmeyouidiot
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
itsmeyouidiot

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Anna's always been the character that I've been able to sympathize with the most.

I've always kind of been under the impression that she views her own predatory instincts as something of a curse, as it's almost always been clear that she won't eat an innocent person. Though she might not have a problem with eating someone who pisses her off too much, she would never harm someone who doesn't do anything to bother her.

I also have the feeling that only reluctantly lives with Crisis, knowing that she really doesn't have any other choice. Though she almost certainly doesn't like what Crisis does to adventurers and doesn't exactly want to associate with her too closely, Anna begrudgingly accepts Crisis's kindness, as Anna likely wouldn't survive otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Human in that, under normal conditions, she will not eat other sapient beings (humans, nekos, etc) . I mean, most humans have a problem with the predatory habits of nekos to begin with. However, as shown in the manga, if people rile her up by attacking her head-on or destroying her equipment, she's willing to dish out punishment via good ol' vore. But when she usually eats living animals, both the wiki and the manga hint that it's non-sentient animals, such as tigers or antelopes. When someone talks about Anna hunting, they probably mean that.

On an unrelated note, I have it from Karbo himself that Anna has a rather dismal view of Delurah, and her brother is the only thing from her homeland she cares about. To the point that she'd have no interest in any sort of political revolution there, unless it affected her brother's safety. So in a sense, Anna can be seen as being cold and aloof like Lea.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Well I think its important to realise that bio is years old, and not necissarily current.

I'd like to think that some of Anna's weaknesses early on were due to the fact that she'd only recently become a naga. Her mind would be full of heightened senses and new instincts. We also know she was a terrible hunter at first, and Crisis would have to feed her (sometimes with humans) early on just so she didn't starve.

I would like to think that, in the months since then, she's gotten better control over her new body. That she's become a much better hunter, and that she can resist her predatory instincts when humans or other human-sized people are involved.

Really, that kind of development is up to Karbo though. Personally, I find it extremely hard to believe when a human comes from another world, gets turned giant in the process and suddenly is perfectly alright with eating people (Jora and a lot of other giantesses over on DA fall into this group). It would be nice to see a former-human who actually tries to keep part of her humanity, and control her new instincts.

Also, keep in mind, Anna was in the military. She would be used to dscipline, and used to controlling herself and/or pushing through harsh conditions, physical exhaustion and mental exhaustion. I don't see someone like her having any issues at all around humans once she puts her mind to reigning in her instincts.

Quote :
So in a sense, Anna can be seen as being cold and aloof like Lea

They aren't really alike at all.

Anna has a dislike for her government, likely because of corruption or bad conditions within her society. That does not mean she won't care about Delurans, other humans or human-sized beings. Its quite likely that many of them agree with her, and many of them aren't fond of their government. She is still perfectly capable of empathizing with other human beings.

Lea was trapped in a harsh slavery system. She saw so many people suffering that the only way to survive was to stop being able to emphathize with anyone who wasn't extremely close to her. It was a coping mechanism for her mental suffering. It isn't that she's "cold and aloof" so much as it is that she's had to learn, over years, to not empathize with those she does not know.

A potential option for Lea's development would be for that coping mechanism to slowly fade. it only came about because people suffered constantly around her. Now, she has friends, and she's relatively happy. If you look at the mangas, she actually convinces Crisis to not attack a group of offworlders who arrived via a vanishing land. That makes me wonder whether or not her mental coping mechanism is starting to falter, and that maybe she might be starting to empathize with other humans again.

Anna is someone who hates her government (which is, lets face it, about half the people in the world). You can hate your government and still like your countrymen.

Lea is someone who had to learn to not empathize with other humans. She could walk down the street, see someone getting beaten or murdered, and not feel anything. It isn't because she hates other people, its just that she's had to learn to not empathize with their suffering to preserve her own sanity.
Back to top Go down
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 9:19 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Really, that kind of development is up to Karbo though. Personally, I find it extremely hard to believe when a human comes from another world, gets turned giant in the process and suddenly is perfectly alright with eating people (Jora and a lot of other giantesses over on DA fall into this group).

That's kind of a harsh view of Jora. It's not like she had a smooth adjustment period, and she has her own set of rules. She usually refuses to eat any person who arrived in Felarya against their will, if I understand correctly (the same sentiments Lea once echoed). And since Jora's not the best huntress, that would mean letting the easiest meal around go free.

As for Anna and Lea, I understand the differences. I just got the sense they understood each other, thanks to all the hardship they've seen all their lives.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Quote :
though smokers are something of a sore spot

LIES!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 3:38 am

Yeah, after nearly dying and going through a life changing (not to mention body-changing) experience, you would have a tough time adjusting as well. Anna has really gotten a hold of her situation quite well, if i do say so myself.

Not well enough that she doesn't need Crisis to survive at this point in time, but she can make due.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 am

EdgedWeapon wrote:
This question popped up while I was reading Anna's bio on deviant art. It mentions that Anna would never eat another human being because of her strong morality (though smokers are something of a sore spot). Before this, I was under the impression that Anna was on the cusp of becoming a full blown predator because she had such a huge ego and because eating people tasted so good - "It's okay to eat them, I'm superior to them anyway."

Well you can see her actual bio here ^^ : http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Anna ( it's this one that is up to date )

It says she don't consider humans as food in a normal state but she isn't exactly the perfect safe naga to be around either. She's pretty hardened, with a harsh view of the world, and don't like to be made a fool of. If you go at her gun-blazing and screwing with her, she's not going to have a lot of qualm eating you, human or not.

As for her homeworld, she is not very loyal to Delurah at all. She had a pretty miserable life here and have a tremendous despise for officials and politicians in general. She enlisted in the military as a mean to earn money and get a better life for her and her brother, not at all driven by any ideology.

Last edited by Karbo on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
French snack
French snack

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:58 am

EdgedWeapon wrote:
This question popped up while I was reading Anna's bio on deviant art. It mentions that Anna would never eat another human being because of her strong morality (though smokers are something of a sore spot) Before this, I was under the impression that Anna was on the cusp of becoming a full blown predator because she had such a huge ego and because eating people tasted so good - "It's okay to eat them, I'm superior to them anyway."

My impression is that she is still largely human. She probably does -secretly, grudgingly- enjoy some aspects of her new condition to a certain extent; I think her wiki bio mentions that she rather likes being able to hunt feline predators rather than have to run from them in fear, as a human would. But I don't think she considers herself automatically "superior" to all humans. She may consider herself intellectually superior to a fair number of them, and of course she can't help but view them as tiny now, but she still has quite a strong human sense of right and wrong, and I really don't think she's on the verge of starting to gobble up her own kind any time soon.

Her comic strip bio showed the way she was at the beginning, struggling to adjust to some very powerful new instincts, resulting from the needs of her giant body. I think she was effectively "zoning out" when she ate that smoker - losing control. It wasn't a conscious decision; she didn't choose to ignore her human morality. I know it's become a standard joke that Anna supposedly eats smokers, but I don't think it's true. It happened once, but I assume she learnt to control herself after that. (I actually tried to subvert that old assumption in one of my stories, where Anna does encounter a human who's smoking, but she simply snaps at him to put it out; she would never have eaten him.)

itsmeyouidiot wrote:

I also have the feeling that only reluctantly lives with Crisis, knowing that she really doesn't have any other choice. Though she almost certainly doesn't like what Crisis does to adventurers and doesn't exactly want to associate with her too closely, Anna begrudgingly accepts Crisis's kindness, as Anna likely wouldn't survive otherwise.

Like you, I have a certain fondness for Anna, despite her grouchiness. In fact, I think there's a lot more to her than her grumpy exterior. (I once wrote a story in which she snaps out at Katrika in her customary instinctive manner, then actually goes and apologises, somewhat awkwardly and gruffly but sincerely, when she realises she's genuinely upset her.)

But I think that, although she obviously doesn't like the fact that Crisis eats people, Anna has genuinely developed a certain affection for Crisis (even though she would never admit it to her). Crisis has such a kind nature, it would be difficult to live with her without eventually starting to like her.

rcs619 wrote:
Well I think its important to realise that bio is years old, and not necissarily current.

I'd like to think that some of Anna's weaknesses early on were due to the fact that she'd only recently become a naga. Her mind would be full of heightened senses and new instincts. We also know she was a terrible hunter at first, and Crisis would have to feed her (sometimes with humans) early on just so she didn't starve.

I would like to think that, in the months since then, she's gotten better control over her new body. That she's become a much better hunter, and that she can resist her predatory instincts when humans or other human-sized people are involved.

Also, keep in mind, Anna was in the military. She would be used to dscipline, and used to controlling herself and/or pushing through harsh conditions, physical exhaustion and mental exhaustion. I don't see someone like her having any issues at all around humans once she puts her mind to reigning in her instincts.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote :

Personally, I find it extremely hard to believe when a human comes from another world, gets turned giant in the process and suddenly is perfectly alright with eating people (Jora and a lot of other giantesses over on DA fall into this group).

I know it's become somewhat faddish to bash dA, but I'm curious about your mention of "a lot of other giantesses". Apart from Jora, I can only think of one who used to be a human and now eats them (and she's not a canon character).

I do agree, though, that the basic premise of a human-turned-giant eating their own kind is one I have trouble accepting, unless it's somehow done convincingly. Which is largely why I think that Anna retains her human sense of morality.

Quote :

Quote :
So in a sense, Anna can be seen as being cold and aloof like Lea

They aren't really alike at all.

Anna has a dislike for her government, likely because of corruption or bad conditions within her society. That does not mean she won't care about Delurans, other humans or human-sized beings. Its quite likely that many of them agree with her, and many of them aren't fond of their government. She is still perfectly capable of empathizing with other human beings.

Lea was trapped in a harsh slavery system. She saw so many people suffering that the only way to survive was to stop being able to emphathize with anyone who wasn't extremely close to her. It was a coping mechanism for her mental suffering. It isn't that she's "cold and aloof" so much as it is that she's had to learn, over years, to not empathize with those she does not know.

Again, that seems pretty much spot-on.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 9:09 am

Quote :
I know it's become somewhat faddish to bash dA, but I'm curious about your mention of "a lot of other giantesses". Apart from Jora, I can only think of one who used to be a human and now eats them (and she's not a canon character).

Wasn't trying to bash DA on that one. I don't even remember the names of some of the others to be honest, but I can vaguely remember a couple other stories I read that had a human-turned-giant who automatically was fine with eating humans once she turned.

It isn't an excessively common thing, but it does happen. Its more of a mild annoyance than anything, kind of like the "evil dridder" trope.

Quote :
I do agree, though, that the basic premise of a human-turned-giant eating their own kind is one I have trouble accepting, unless it's somehow done convincingly. Which is largely why I think that Anna retains her human sense of morality.

Pretty much my views on it too.

But yeah, I think there's a LOT of potentially interesting character development options for Anna, and even Lea, depending on what Karbo wants to do. Felarya has changed so much since their original bios, become so much more complex and gained a whole lot more options for deep storytelling.

Personally, I still wonder how Anna has affected Crisis. I know she isn't often the deepest thinker on any given subject, and tends to go more with her feelings...but, she knows Anna, she knows Anna is a "person" and she knows that by eating Anna before, she nearly killed her. I'd think that would have to affect her some way, even if its something she isn't entirely aware of. Not saying Crisis would suddenly become Fiona and actively avoid trying to eat anyone...but it could be neat to see her maybe become slightly less of a deathtrap. Maybe listen to humans a little more than before, maybe go from a 99% death-rate, to 75% or something.

Like I said though, lots of potential options to develop some of the "older" characters, and have them grow in complexity along with the setting ^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anna's morality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's morality   Anna's morality Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anna's morality
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: