Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kitsune in Felarya?

Go down 
+7
Nyaha
Karbo
AisuKaiko
Shady Knight
rcs619
Anime-Junkie
walkingbyself
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

Kitsune in Felarya? Empty
PostSubject: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I can probably guess right now at the time of your reading the title you most likely thought: "Alright what crackpot idea does this guy have? And Why the hell is he even bothering with the idea of fox people? He must be stoned out of his mind."

Well alright I must admit my idea for Kitsune is probably not the first that's passed through here and been shot down. And quite frankly I am expecting my idea to get shot down (a lot) I am more or less looking for input to improve and better an idea that I have. Now I can right now guarantee you that I was in fact not stoned out of my mind when I thought of this. And I have been putting some time into writing and fixing this to a semi decent level (I still am not 100% satisfied with some parts). Also I must note before hand that I did in fact ask for rcs619 permission to note Inu in this my idea. But if he would like me to not mention them then I can easily rectify that issue in short order everything is mailable and up for refinement and nothing is ever set in stone. I have an open ear/ door/ mailbox policy in ideas and will more then likely listen to any and all suggestions given. Although if you wish to debate points I must direct you to my mail box where we can keep forum clean. Also if anyone else has already come up with an idea for Kitsune I would really like to hear from you, to at least compare idea's and see what works and what doesn't. So without further ado I give you my idea for Kitsune in Felarya if you need drinks I'm afraid your on your own there I'm clean out of coffee and alcoholic beverages. Crying or Very sad

Felaryan Kitsune

Kitsune are a species of demi-human with fox like attributes. However, Kitsune are most commonly mistaken as a subspecies of Inu. While other’s claim that it is the other way around with Inus being the subspecies to Kitsune, whatever the case maybe neither side has been proven right or wrong and some ill feelings have arisen between the two demi-human species but not as much as the territory claims between Inus and Nekos. Kitsune are a reclusive and clan based people with clan’s following the word of both a Matriarch and Patriarch, though in actuality the clans tend to act out on their own with little to no intervention from either leader unless something requires their direct intervention in clan matters. While Kitsune clans are generally reclusive and hard to find it has led to some myths that would have people to believe they are evil or malicious beings. In truth Kitsune are reclusive for the simple matter that when Kitsune are still young they are terribly mischievous and the saying: “It takes a village to raise a child.” can be applied aptly to Kitsune young. And it is from people encountering young Kitsune that have wandered from their clans that the belief that all Kitusne are tricksters has arisen from. Kitsune have an acute sense of hearing able to locate the direction of a tiny hiding inside its burrow before an Inu, while their eyesight allows them to pick out movement at further distances than most Inus.

Kitsunes look like your average demi-human and Kitsune have been easily confused for another species of Inu thanks to their ears and tails and are generally considered “just another dog person” because of these similarities. Another similarity between Kitsune and Inus are their expressive ears and tails, however Kitsune have a little more control over their ears than Inus but not by much but trying to tell if they are lying by watching their ears is not a good idea instead watching their tails which behaves just like an Inus. Kitsune hair can general come in a variety of wide ranging naturally occurring color’s, with the more extravagant color’s a choice of either that Kitsune or its clan. Kitsune hair also varies in its texture and feel from being short and silky to long and coarse. Kitsune also possess one unique trait that most find disconcerting about them, their split tails.

Kitsune tails are unique and vary widely in the amount of tails they have. In general it is more common to see a Kitsune with anywhere from three to five tail then it is to see a Kitsune with more than five or less than three. Kitsune are at birth each born with a single tail and then not soon after their tail splits into however many they will have throughout their entire lives. There is a general suspicion to those outside Kitsune society that the more tails a Kitsune has the more powerful it is. In reality this is not true as a Kitusune with a single tail can be just as powerful as a Kitsune with nine tails it is all dependent upon the Kitsune itself to just how powerful they are. That is not to say Kitsune don't hold their own customs and beliefs for the number of tails a Kitsune has. It is generally regarded by Kitsune society that a Kitsune with three or seven tails are very lucky and more likely to succeed in that which others may consider impossible. While Kitsune with four, six, eight and nine tails are exceptionally strong mages and more likely to learn other field's of magic faster than other Kitsune. And Kitsune with only one, two, and five tails are more outgoing being that they are neither exceptionally lucky or exceedingly powerful they are by far the more easily to get along with and are most likely to be encountered outside of a Kitsune clan or those most likely to greet a person that finds their clan.

Kitsune are a magically inclined race on par with other spell caster heavy species in Felarya such as elves and fairies, with their spell casters being some of the most powerful Alterationist, Illusionist and Mystics to be found within Felarya. While Kitsune are skilled spell casters when it comes to Illusion Mysticism and Alteration they are also considered the proverbial "Jack of all trades, master of none" when it comes to all other forms of magic. Though they are able to learn any field of magic it is a rare case where one will master another magic that isn’t Illusion, Alteration and Mysticism. However, when a Kitsune does attain mastery of any given area of magic they are as deathly proficient as other spell caster of different types of magic’s. Kitsune are very avid learners of all things magical and arcane which has led to some stories and legends to be told within Kitsune clans. With stories of a Kitsunes chasing after books, tomes, anything that suited their interest and were willing to go to extraordinary lengths to attain that knowledge.

Kitsune are omnivores like then their Inu relatives while leaning a little more towards being carnivores. Kitsune prefer to hunt in the early morning hours before sunrise and late in the evening. When hunting they first pinpoint their prey's location by sound, then leap sailing high above their quarry, steering in mid-air with their tails, before landing on their target up to five meters away.

Last edited by walkingbyself on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://walkingbyself.deviantart.com/
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Well this is certainly a good start. There's not really much wrong with this so far.

Quote :
Kitsune are more magically inclined then Inu being on par with some of the most powerful spell casters in Felarya,
I'm going to assume this is bad wording.
What you're saying here is that Kitsune, as an entire species, are on par the most powerful spellcasters in Felarya.

What I think you mean to say is that the Kitsune species has produced some of the most powerful spellcasters in Felarya.

Quote :
Kitsune also posses a unique trait that most find disconcerting, their split tails. Kitsune tails are unique in that depending on how old or adept they are can range in any number from one tail to nine tails with any Kitsune having more then five or seven tails rare and anything over nine as stuff of myth and legends.
I know what you're going for with this, I know where it comes from, but it is a bit odd. I'm not sure what to say about it beyond that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Quote :
I'm going to assume this is bad wording.
What you're saying here is that Kitsune, as an entire species, are on par the most powerful spellcasters in Felarya.

What I think you mean to say is that the Kitsune species has produced some of the most powerful spellcasters in Felarya.

Or that kitsune, as a species, are often considered on par with other spellcaster heavy species such as elves and fairies (not counting the size magic, of couse).

Quote :
Kitsune also posses a unique trait that most find disconcerting, their split tails. Kitsune tails are unique in that depending on how old or adept they are can range in any number from one tail to nine tails with any Kitsune having more then five or seven tails rare and anything over nine as stuff of myth and legends.

Yeah, its not a bad idea, it just seems odd that they would just grow new tails as they age.

One option could be that kitsune can be born with a varying number of tails at birth, and that among the kitsune, more tails is generally associated with good fortune, magical skill and such.

They wouldn't grow new tails with age, but you'd be able to include kitsune with a varying number of tails, and have that tail number mean something within their society ^^

Overall though, I think this is a good start. There's nothing glaringly wrong or outrageous with it, and the kitsune definately have some interesting aspects as a species, such as their skill with illusions and such.

One thing to consider is that maybe, in general, kitsune are not known for their direct combat magic, and usually prefer to avoid direct combat altogether. They could be known for their skill with more indirect forms of magic, like illusions, enchantments and curses. I think this would help give them a much more unique feel than some of the other magical races. Just about everyone can shoot fireballs and lighting...but indirect abilities like illusions, enchantments and curses seem a lot more seldomly used. Sure, they aren't flashy and explosive, but that does not mean that they aren't extremely dangerous, useful and something to be wary of.

Just some ideas ^^ I think that would really suit their aloof, reclusive nature, more than direct, flashy combat magic.

Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Something I need to point out, I don't think Kitsunes could actually be a real sub-species of Inus because foxes aren't actually canines. They look very close to canines, but they aren't. I think they could be classified as such because they appear similar, but only for avoiding creating a new species entirely.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Something I need to point out, I don't think Kitsunes could actually be a real sub-species of Inus because foxes aren't actually canines. They look very close to canines, but they aren't. I think they could be classified as such because they appear similar, but only for avoiding creating a new species entirely.

I think that was covered fairly well in his bio. No one seems to know how inu and kitsune are related, other than the look very similar.

No real need to be super-exact with it, or it'd mess with the uncertainty. Plus, Im fairly sure that most non-kitsunes and non-inu would still lump them all together as "dog-people" anyway.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
Something I need to point out, I don't think Kitsunes could actually be a real sub-species of Inus because foxes aren't actually canines.

Canidae is the biological family of carnivorous and omnivorous mammals that includes wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes, and domestic dogs.

Source: Wikipedia.

Dogs are canids. So are foxes.It would be correct to say that Kitsune are related to Inu, rather than a subspecies.

Last edited by Anime-Junkie on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2011 8:19 pm

No no no, foxes are canids, which encompasses canus, dogs and wolves, and vulpes, with is foxes.
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 5:53 am

Well I must say that was rather fast turn around time between initial posting and first couple of responses. Thank you all for your ideas thus far now let me see if I can figure out a good happy medium as well as post a few ideas to work with those already given. Going in order seeing how AJ posted first I'll get him first.

Okay first thing you picked up on was what I put for Kitsune and their magical ability. Okay yes I should have worded the first sentence better, but if neither you nor rcs don't mind me using both of your comments. Would it not be better to say that Kitsune are on par to other highly magical beings such as elves and fairies. And that Kitsune have made some of the most powerfull spellcasters in Felarya. Or something along the line of that? Next the tails. Yes I can be blamed for staying close to the wikipedia entry on Kitsune so again I'll adress what rcs suggested and rather then gaining them over time or experience as mentiined in wikipedia have it to where they are all born with a single tail and then shortly after their tails split into the number they will have the rest of their lives. With the number of tails being completly random and nonpredictable that Kitsune have developed parts of their society around how many tails a Kitsune is born with.

Next is rcs you also noted on the Kitsune magical ability. I hope you don't mind me being a bit lazy but right now a combination of both what you and AJ said sounds like a good idea. And again with the tails thank you for giving me some ideas to work on with what you suggested I can work something out with them. Also on what you mentioned on Kitsune being known for indirect magic like illusions and such rather then dircect magic like destruction magic. I agree we don't have many indirect mage types around about the only really strong indirect magic user I think the wording is are the dryads and their natural born mastery at illusion magic. So yes indirect magic can be an affinity of theirs to match their elusiveness. My only thing is I don't want to restrict others in what options they have open to them for magical abilities should they wish to follow this. So going with what you suggested on Kitsune being known for their skill with indirect magics which I'll be honest I like the idea and it is unique in my opinion but what would you or anyone else think if I instead said that a kitsune is more likely to become a master of an indirect form of magic then they are a direct magic. And to continue what I added in to my first post that just because they are more likely to learn indirect magic does not hinder them from learning some form of direct magic? That way if say a Kitsune came from the Imoreith Tundra they would also know some form of cold magic and that a Kitsune from the Pyrale Mountainns would know either fire or earth magic. And then so on and so forth with variations on extra abilities as needed?

And for sean I will say I never intended to make Kitsune a subspecies of Inu keeping them seperate from Inu, nor do I want to think of Inu as being subspecies to Kitsune because before I looked at AJ's link to wikipedia page I must admit I was going off of own ideas and belife for that. But now that I have read through it I think it fits just fine how it is. And as rcs said most non Kitsune are more then likely going to group them together as dog people. Which I find some what funny to be honest as it kinda fits the idea behind KISS which is a very good acronym to bw used for some initial ideas.

And as aisu pointed out according to wikipedia link AJ provided any member belonging to family Canidae is called a canid. Canidae are then divided into two tribes canini related to wolves and vulpini related to foxes. Which I think does a good job of seperating Inu from Kitsune. If you need futher explination then that please read the page from the link AJ provided and it should hopefully clear up any remaining confusion of subspecies or not. If it doesn't then please feel more then welcome to voice your opinion and questions.

Well I think I covered everyone again thank you all for your input I will get to fixing and correcting right away.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Quote :
Would it not be better to say that Kitsune are on par to other highly magical beings such as elves and fairies

That would probably be a fair enough statement. Just keep in mind that, to use elves as example, not ALL elves in Negav have the power to become battlemages. They may be more magically skilled than the average human, but its not like they are all magical supermen with battlemage-caliber strength. Those individuals are still a rarity.

Just be careful when talking about how good a race is at something. Some people will take it to the extreme and assume that all kitsune could go around pwning any human mage they want, which wouldn't be the case. Magical skill can vary widely, even amongst more magically predisposed races. Someone's magical skill is still going to depend on their dedication and training. Being part of a magically gifted race just lets it come a bit easier to you.

Quote :
so again I'll adress what rcs suggested and rather then gaining them over time or experience as mentiined in wikipedia have it to where they are all born with a single tail and then shortly after their tails split into the number they will have the rest of their lives. With the number of tails being completly random and nonpredictable that Kitsune have developed parts of their society around how many tails a Kitsune is born with.

Still kind of odd, but its definately an improvement. That's gotta be an uncomfortable time for them, but I suppose its no worse than fairy children's wings growing, or an adult fairy growning a new wing.

Quote :
to continue what I added in to my first post that just because they are more likely to learn indirect magic does not hinder them from learning some form of direct magic? That way if say a Kitsune came from the Imoreith Tundra they would also know some form of cold magic and that a Kitsune from the Pyrale Mountainns would know either fire or earth magic. And then so on and so forth with variations on extra abilities as needed?

Well of course. I wasn't trying to imply that they would ONLY know indirect magic. I was just saying that it could be their preferred type, what other races know them for, and that they would rather use their illusions, curses and cunning to take on a foe, rather than just attacking them outright with an offensive spell. It would be very short-sighted to NOT know any offensive magic. There will be times when illusions fail, or curses get resisted, so knowing a bit of combat magic is going to be a useful backup plan.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Quote :
That would probably be a fair enough statement. Just keep in mind that, to use elves as example, not ALL elves in Negav have the power to become battlemages. They may be more magically skilled than the average human, but its not like they are all magical supermen with battlemage-caliber strength. Those individuals are still a rarity.

Just be careful when talking about how good a race is at something. Some people will take it to the extreme and assume that all kitsune could go around pwning any human mage they want, which wouldn't be the case. Magical skill can vary widely, even amongst more magically predisposed races. Someone's magical skill is still going to depend on their dedication and training. Being part of a magically gifted race just lets it come a bit easier to you.

Okay thank you for the heads up. I was just working on something when I read this and I think I might have made something like that could be considered pwn mobiles haha now I need to fix it. Thank you for stopping me from making idiot mistake like that.

Quote :
Still kind of odd, but its definately an improvement. That's gotta be an uncomfortable time for them, but I suppose its no worse than fairy children's wings growing, or an adult fairy growning a new wing.

Well when I put up corrected ideas I hope its better then the previous entry.

Quote :
Well of course. I wasn't trying to imply that they would ONLY know indirect magic. I was just saying that it could be their preferred type, what other races know them for, and that they would rather use their illusions, curses and cunning to take on a foe, rather than just attacking them outright with an offensive spell. It would be very short-sighted to NOT know any offensive magic. There will be times when illusions fail, or curses get resisted, so knowing a bit of combat magic is going to be a useful backup plan.

Okay then it was just a mistake on my part incorrectly reading what you said. And I will get to fixing everything now. Again thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Alright Sorry for double post but just updated the main idea and made the following changes and additions as suggested.

Changed how Kitsune gain their multiple tails and some possibilities for what each number of tail means in their society. Also changed the wording for Kitsune magical abilities combing both AJ's and rcs's ideas for hopefully a happy middle ground. And gave Kitsune an affinity for indirect magics like rcs suggested. If after this they sound like pwn mobiles please point out how and I will get to fixing it as soon as possible.

Again thank you all for the help it is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Quote :
I hope you don't mind me being a bit lazy but right now a combination of both what you and AJ said sounds like a good idea. And again with the tails thank you for giving me some ideas to work on with what you suggested I can work something out with them

Quote :
Again thank you all for the help it is appreciated.
We don't mind. This is collaboration, something the forums are good for. You should try it more often. Razz
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Well it's a good description ^^ I've seen more and more Kitsunes being introduced to Felarya in stories lately and I'm starting to wonder about giving them an entry indeed.
I don't see anything wrong with this one , but maybe they could have something more to make them more distinctive from Kitsune from other worlds? Not an easy thing to do I know... I'm just also curious about their appearance. You say their natural one is similar to that of a real fox ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 12:50 pm

"Kitsune clan's are generally formed under..."

The apostrophe is not needed. :3 Other than that it seems very good. But I'm still so jealous that your idea is getting faster consideration for wiki status than any of mine have. >:3 Though, that's not to say I don't understand why that is. ^_^ So good for you!
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Karbo wrote:
Well it's a good description ^^ I've seen more and more Kitsunes being introduced to Felarya in stories lately and I'm starting to wonder about giving them an entry indeed.
I don't see anything wrong with this one , but maybe they could have something more to make them more distinctive from Kitsune from other worlds? Not an easy thing to do I know... I'm just also curious about their appearance. You say their natural one is similar to that of a real fox ?

I think he's saying that they can use their illusions to pose as humans, hiding their ears and tails.

That's what I assume anyway, since they are supposed to be related to inu, or at least similar enough for people to think they are.

As for making them more distinct... I dont know. Most people tend to follow the old japanese legends when designing kitsune species, so some things are going to overlap. Most kitsune I've seen have been overpowered spellcasters who nuked their way to victory... so Im happy to see he chose to go with the more illusory/tricky path with them ^^
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 1:21 am

Karbo wrote:

Well for distinctiveness I'm sure we can think of something after all that is what the forums are for right? Compiling ideas together to make them mesh correctly.

old theory:

For Kitsune appearance they would appear to be demi-human just like Inus and Nekos. Where they have fox like ears and depending on the presence of those around them displaying either one tail or however many tails they have.

And I have to agree with RCS Kitsune do have a tendency to be used as pwn mobiles thanks to popular anime shows depicting that the more tails a creature has the stronger it is. But if I were to think of a unique trait for Felaryan Kitsune is this: Felaryan Kitsune no matter the number of tails can just as easily be as powerful as any other Kitsune with a diffrent amount of tails. Where if they don't hone their skills or talents they are just as vulnerable as a human mage. Possibly more so due to the predator sense for giant nagas and fairies that lets them pick out magical signatures and Kitsune have a natural affinity for magic same as elves so I'm sure that makes them just as visible on that sense as the next mage. But they also cluster together in their clans to form large groups of mages of all calibers so I'm sure that makes them stick out like a sore thumb though I'm not 100% certain on that I leave that up for debat on how predator sense affects them though I doubt it does any different then a normal mage. And here I am rambling on about nonsense that no one has brought up yet haha oh well best to bring it up now then later right? geek

Also RCS your Illusion/ Trickery idea that you helped turn me to actually does help reinforce some of the Japanese myth and legends background of Kitsune.

I will get to work on the next revision right away I'll try to get it up soon for all to view and pick apart.

And what is collaboration you speak of AJ? This is the first I have heard of it. Razz Joking joking I promise I am!

Thanks Nyaha for catching that I will make sure to correct it. ^^

Last edited by walkingbyself on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sleep deprevation is a bitch. And I am an idiot.)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm

Quote :
For their appearance I intended them to be fox like in appearance while among their own kind. So if a person were to walk into a clan of Kitsune they would see many Kitsune as they really are humanoid foxes that are covered in hair from head to toe and freely displaying their "X" amount of tails. While for a Kitsune outside of their clan and in large cities such as Negav they would look similar to Inus and Nekos in that they only show their ears and a single tail making them look more humanoid. I'll explain it better in my next revision so that it hopefully sounds easy enough to believe.

So, if Im reading this right... Kitsune are furries/anthros?

Ehh, I don't know about that, man. It just seems a bit too different, since there are not really any anthros in Felarya, just demi-humans/hybrids.

I think it might be better to have their natural state be a demi-human. Human-looking in appearance, but with the ears and tails of a fox. They could always still use their illusions to pose as inu or humans if they wanted to.

Of course, its up to you in the end, but I just think they'd fit better into the setting if they were demi-humans, instead of anthros. Would also help you avoid some of the internet stigma that comes along with furries no matter what setting they pop up in.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 2:11 pm

rcs619 wrote:

Ehh, I don't know about that, man. It just seems a bit too different, since there are not really any anthros in Felarya, just demi-humans/hybrids.

I think it might be better to have their natural state be a demi-human. Human-looking in appearance, but with the ears and tails of a fox. They could always still use their illusions to pose as inu or humans if they wanted to.

Of course, its up to you in the end, but I just think they'd fit better into the setting if they were demi-humans, instead of anthros. Would also help you avoid some of the internet stigma that comes along with furries no matter what setting they pop up in.

:Super Face Palm!:

Well that would help avoid issues, I admit I was slightly out of my normal mind set for that post. Maybe I should have hit my bed earlier rather than staying up watching that one last late night movie staying up to 4 am staying up late is not conducive to proper thinking. But yeah sorry about that I was well out of it (way out of it) I assume responsibility for the idiot post. Thanks for the kick there. Moi oi vey, haha good thing I haven't started rewriting it yet I'll make sure to leave that part out (the furry part). Looking back it seems more complicated and outside the idea for K.I.S.S. for them to switch back and forth between the anthro and the demi's.

So for the record no they are not anthro's they are demi's. oi vey :face palm:
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 3:08 pm

walkingbyself wrote:
rcs619 wrote:

:Super Face Palm!:

Well that would help avoid issues, I admit I was slightly out of my normal mind set for that post. Maybe I should have hit my bed earlier rather than staying up watching that one last late night movie staying up to 4 am staying up late is not conducive to proper thinking. But yeah sorry about that I was well out of it (way out of it) I assume responsibility for the idiot post. Thanks for the kick there. Moi oi vey, haha good thing I haven't started rewriting it yet I'll make sure to leave that part out (the furry part). Looking back it seems more complicated and outside the idea for K.I.S.S. for them to switch back and forth between the anthro and the demi's.

So for the record no they are not anthro's they are demi's. oi vey :face palm:

Wasn't saying it was some kind of "idiot post", lol. I'd just always got the impression that your kitsune were demis, so it suprised me when it seemed you were making them anthros.

In the end, its up to you. I just felt that anthros would stick out a bit too much, and that making them demis was the better choice.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2011 11:27 pm

I know you meant well RCS I was just hitting myself for making a noobish in my opinion mistake that I told myself not to make when I originally started this idea, I know some of the Internet stigma's as well and have been trying to avoid them.

Now to give my updated idea for Kitsune. For this update I tried to clarify the appearance of Kitsune making them more demi-human like, while also trying to find a decent middle ground between both of the commonly encountered version's of Kitsune among the interwebs. So without further ado I turn you to my updated idea for Kitsune on the top of page one.
Back to top Go down
walkingbyself
Great warrior
Great warrior
walkingbyself

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Well looking over the inter webs and imaging idea of Kitsune being demi-humans with fur all over in my own head (and scrap drawings don't ask for them I kinda tossed them out) I've come to the conclusion there really is no happy middle ground between the two types of Kitsune no correction three types of Kitsune commonly found. So I apologize to those that were hoping for the middle ground or the more animalistic bipedal Kitsune or heck even the actual fox with split tails Kitsune but for now I'll just stick with the demi-human Kitsune. But if you feel the need to make your own version of Kitsune that is of those types or some other variation please go ahead and I wish you luck and I hope you succeed with them.

So with that announcement out of the way on to... *drum roll!* Updates! Deleted the part where Kitsune have accelerated fur/ hair growth and removed growth of fur/ hair everywhere on Kitsune. So now hopefully everyone can picture them as demi-humans with fox ears and split fox tails. If your unable to tell me why not and I'll try to meld and mesh to make their appearance sound closer to being a demi-human.

Also as an Idea from RCS which is also part of Kitsune myth's in Japanese legend's a possible ability for the more talented and skilled Kitsune Illusionist:

Due to Kitsune having a natural tendency to use indirect magic's such as Illusion's there have been reports of Kitsune Illusionist taking the guise of any similar sized creature's. A Kitsunes ability to assume an Illusionary form of another is primarily determined by their skill with Illusions and their knowledge of the race they are imitating. There are also some unconfirmed reports of Kitsune being able to take the form's of other similar sized creatures such as dridders or nagas but so far nothing has been confirmed. And earning the Kitsune a more then average level of skepticism with people around them wondering if the Kitsune will assume their form. (Also as a side note this ability makes for one awesome idea for possible cultural development where every year Kitsunes all over will take the form of another similar sized species and the one best Illusion and scariest Illusion wins. Of course this happens on what we normal people call October 31st or Halloween but eh still some funny idea that just randomly popped into my head just now Razz)
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 pm

Quote :
So with that announcement out of the way on to... *drum roll!* Updates! Deleted the part where Kitsune have accelerated fur/ hair growth and removed growth of fur/ hair everywhere on Kitsune. So now hopefully everyone can picture them as demi-humans with fox ears and split fox tails

I think that's for the best, really. Being human-like in appearance, but covered in fur, seemed a bit odd. Getting rid of the full-body fur will let them mesh better with the existing demi-humans, and make the inu/kitsune confusion more likely.

Actually, the idea you put in the bottom part of your post is something I was thinking. The demi-human form may be their true form... but that doesn't mean they always have to appear that way to others. Maybe they do take the form of some kind of magical fox-like creature sometimes to fool strangers, or to hide their true appearance. Imagine how scary it would be for a bandit to watch a kitsune girl (who he mistook for a funny-tailed inu) appear to transform into a large, dangerous looking fox-creature right before his eyes like some kind of werewolf?

But yeah, the illusions open up a lot of options. I like that idea for their illusion contest too.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:21 pm

I also think a more demi-human appearance is the best way for them Smile
On another topic, I'm also wondering if we should stick with the name "kitsune" or try to go for something new ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Well, we've used the Japanese name for the cat folks and the dog folks. I think that it would stick out like a sore thumb if that trend is broken for the fox folks.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2011 2:40 pm

What about Vulpes? That's a grab from fox genus. I think it sounds cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kitsune in Felarya?   Kitsune in Felarya? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kitsune in Felarya?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next