Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Concerning Interspecific Relations.

Go down 
+3
Anime-Junkie
parameciumkid
LamiaSybaris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LamiaSybaris
Helpless prey
LamiaSybaris

Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Empty
PostSubject: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:30 pm

A while back - like, twenty days back - I had the idea for probably the first plant species on the tundra. To be precise, it was a strange fernlike species (i.e. barely a plant)...that, a la Cordyceps fungus, used the younger stages of a giant ice cicada to reproduce. For a while, I thought it was good, then remembered that things don't get sick on Felarya. It made me wonder if, especially given the emphasis on eating, parasites existed at all on Felarya. My guess is that the answer is "no," which means both of these species will need tweaks.

It made me wonder, however, whether there were any symbiotic relationships on Felarya at all. I am talking about things like clownfish and anemones in which one species lives with another in a mutually-beneficial relationship. There are other types of symbiosis, but this one is rarely seen in fantasy worlds. I can guess that pollination exists, but are there any species on Felarya that fit together like a hand in a glove? (Forgive me if I missed something on the Wiki - you guys have done a pretty good job in making sure there are plenty of creatures.)
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Unless some ancient wizard seriously hacked the rules of human metabolism, then yes, there are definitely some symbionts and microbes in Felarya. There is a whole ecosystem of microorganisms necessary for human digestion and many others in a symbiotic relationship with humans, so since there are humans on Felarya it stands to reason that these microbes are present as well. Also, since nagas, nekos, and most of the other creatures there are based on humans and other Earth creatures, it's likely they have similar relationships.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:50 pm

As far as I know, parameciumkid's assumption is correct. There's even an entry in the wiki for Dryad gut worm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Don't forget the Leviathan Gutlord.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:05 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
Unless some ancient wizard seriously hacked the rules of human metabolism, then yes, there are definitely some symbionts and microbes in Felarya. There is a whole ecosystem of microorganisms necessary for human digestion and many others in a symbiotic relationship with humans, so since there are humans on Felarya it stands to reason that these microbes are present as well. Also, since nagas, nekos, and most of the other creatures there are based on humans and other Earth creatures, it's likely they have similar relationships.

Parameciumkid is on the right track here.

The general rule of thumb is this.

- Microbes do exist in Felarya. Bacteria, viruses, they're all there.

- The healing factor of Felarya supercharges the human immune system. You can be infected by a harmful microbe, but it gets squashed before symptoms begin to show. This effectively makes it impossible to get sick on Felarya.

- Most parasites still work just fine though.

- Symbiotic/beneficial microbes are unaffected as well, since they aren't hurting anything.
Back to top Go down
LamiaSybaris
Helpless prey
LamiaSybaris

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 3:52 pm

rcs619 wrote:

The general rule of thumb is this.

- Microbes do exist in Felarya. Bacteria, viruses, they're all there.

- The healing factor of Felarya supercharges the human immune system. You can be infected by a harmful microbe, but it gets squashed before symptoms begin to show. This effectively makes it impossible to get sick on Felarya.

- Most parasites still work just fine though.

- Symbiotic/beneficial microbes are unaffected as well, since they aren't hurting anything.

Wow, nice bulletpoints! Very Happy Kind of suspected that small things like gut flora wouldn't be affected (as another poster said, they're necessary), but I didn't know you already had a few internal parasites. We really do think of everything, here. Smile Thank you SO much!
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Come to think of it I remember a stomach parasite being in Kikijohnson's game "Seliky's Story". It wasn't in Felarya per se, but it's certainly related enough to warrant consideration.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Though can hurting and helping really be identified effectively by nature? It is my understanding that in both cases, there's changes to tissue/organ/what-have-you that are still just that, changes, but what kind of changes would be prohibited by the natural laws of felarya? "Hurting" is really a point of view, too. This can get really deep, and unfortunately my biology "ain't what it used to be". I can't be as specific as I'd like.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

I submit the definition that hurting is anything that decreases an individual's ability to produce fertile offspring, and helping is whatever increases this ability.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 02, 2011 1:54 am

Actually, I was confused by this particular topic as well.

Good to know theres a line between symbiotes/parasites and simply illnesses. Thanks Cliff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerning Interspecific Relations.    Concerning Interspecific Relations.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerning Interspecific Relations.
Page 1 of 1