Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Empty
PostSubject: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I was thinking back to #5, and something hit me....

In 2 through 4, Karbo went out of his way to paint harpies as DEEPLY unlikable predators, even among other species that gobble up humans without a thought. Belletia, in particular, was depicted as quite acerbic and petty, even for a harpy.

Then 5 finally comes along, and...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 pm

Hm, should this go in the manga discussion? If its about storytelling ability I dunno.

Still I agree, however I think that harpies can be likable creatures, especially if you get used to their way of talking. It just takes a bit of a different mindset than what people are normally used to, and I agree that Karbo did a great job of displaying the fact I just stated for anyone who might see the manga first, before coming to our community. (wouldn't that be great, people coming to our community because they loved the manga? Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 am

Greyman wrote:
I was thinking back to #5, and something hit me....

In 2 through 4, Karbo went out of his way to paint harpies as DEEPLY unlikable predators, even among other species that gobble up humans without a thought. Belletia, in particular, was depicted as quite acerbic and petty, even for a harpy.

Then 5 finally comes along, and...

Spoiler:

I don't think Karbo went out of his way to make harpies seem unlikable. What you saw was a particular group of nagas interaction with ONE harpy who had been having a bad day. And I probably liked Belletia for all the reasons you may or may not have disliked her actually. It looks more like a case of people taking the manga as representative of Felarya as a whole, rather than just the experiences of three or four of its inhabitants.

Sure, Karbo's manga would lead some to believe that nagas are the -main- species and all others are more suited for suppporting roles but then it's not solely Karbo's responsibility to portray Harpies, Sphinxes, and Dridders in a more interesting manner. I feel like I'm partly to blame because I haven't done enough to make "likeable" Harpies more visable. I'm going to try harder in the near future and hopefully there won't be many people taking the viewpoint that you carried through the first four tomes as a result.
Back to top Go down
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:59 pm

It's not the cluster f-bomb language that gave harpies an air of unlikability. It was mainly how petty and vindictive Belletia acted; the race against fairies to find Lea was quite telling.

And then there were the other harpies briefly seen in the start of 4. Basically called Belletia and old hag who was losing it, and harpy speak CAN'T be used as an excuse for how sharp that tongue-lashing was, given Belletia's reaction.
Back to top Go down
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:27 pm

Allz I'm gonna say is this; don't take mistake a patch for the quilt. Unless you are incapable of not making generalizations or you are simply seeing things through biased eyes, there is no reason for you to believe that Belletia (or harpies as a "race" for that matter) are all one dimensional, mean spirited wenches. Just as not all nagas are either childish or oversexed. And I certainly hope you don't think of harpies as plug in antagonists.
Back to top Go down
FalconJudge
Hero
Hero
FalconJudge

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Have there been any Dridders yet?
Back to top Go down
http://falconjudge2.deviantart.com/
Greyman
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 pm

gt500x wrote:
Allz I'm gonna say is this; don't take mistake a patch for the quilt. Unless you are incapable of not making generalizations or you are simply seeing things through biased eyes, there is no reason for you to believe that Belletia (or harpies as a "race" for that matter) are all one dimensional, mean spirited wenches. Just as not all nagas are either childish or oversexed. And I certainly hope you don't think of harpies as plug in antagonists.

That's why I find Karbo such a crafty storyteller. Harpies were indeed getting that way in my eyes, but the little bit with Belletia's niece in 4 and EVERYTHING in 5 turned that around. It's like how Horace Slughorn and Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter 6 permanently torpedoed the 'all Slytherins are SOBs' line of thinking.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 am

You know, if you think about it, every race in Felarya has their "bad days".

Dridders had a queen who started a giant war, and now they're labeled as "evil". Harpies have one bad day during a trip through air traffic, and suddenly they're foul-mouthed jerks. And so on.

Overall, no species is inherently evil, or even bad for that matter.

It's a nice mix, like how a good artist would depict it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.   Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another subtle example of Karbo's storytelling ability.
Page 1 of 1