HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums   Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:20 pm

It's one of the problems with my writing, and I'm sure some of other people's writing, too; being able to discern the differences that should be present between a written story and how it would be done if it was animated or something. I myself tend to see things like an anime in my head first, generally because most Felarya art, especially Karbo's, has that manga/anime style to it. I was hoping that I could ask some of the more experienced writers of the community for some pointers about what to avoid doing when converting a story from how you see it in your mind to text on a page, please. It would be very helpful to me, and I'm sure a lot of others as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums   Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:59 pm

I know i shouldn't be the one to offer advice but what the heck, I'll toss something out there. I think the best advice that I can give is to read books. I have a really short attention span so it's hard for me to take my own advice and sit down with a book, but I think reading will teach you things better than some people can explain them. It's good for me to work at reading more because I can train my brain to process more than just a few words at a time. If you read any of my past stories and ideas you'll find that there is very little flow to them. It's like reading a collage of words. o.o

But I've been improving... I think.

P.s. I'd like to ask people to forgive me for not reading their stories more. It just takes me sooo long (sometimes hours because I break often) to get through what would take normal people a matter of minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums   Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Strangely enough, when it comes to stories, even if the art style seems focused on anime-esque - I'm someone else to blame for that xD -, I always think of Western fantasy writers. I don't see things like an anime when I write about Felarya, actually I see them more like a light Salvatore or a watered down Pratchett.

Heavenless-star has given you the advice I was go to share: read books. Try to look for some Western fantasy and literature. Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Moorcock, Pratchett... And if you're still thinking of anime-esque environments, then check out Record of the Lodoss War for something in that way yet with a bit of a Western touch despite being Japanese. Anyway, you shouldn't be afraid of thinking "in terms of anime" because of the usual art style.

Another thing that I recommend is to write several drafts. Don't stick to the first version of your story if you can think of ways to improve it. Ask for proof readers, check out canon and non-canon ideas and stories, and compare with what you've seen in terms of epic fantasy this far. This isn't something you'll get in a couple of days, it can sometimes take weeks - or even months in someone's cases... like mine - to get the right story and the feeling you were looking for, be it anime-like or not.

I still don't see why it's a problem the whole anime thing, but anyway, just read and write as much as you can. And check ideas either here or on the dA group or on the wiki. Look at how written tales are made, focus on what you want to express and how, read and write, as I said, and you will finally get what your mind tells you in the right words. I know, this sounds easier said than done, but practice is the key, specially when you are confused because of this difference between several mediums - novels, comic books, cartoons...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums   Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks for your advice, guys. ^.^ Feadraug, I'm happy to say that I'm already working on the several drafts idea. I always have, as I always hand-write my stories first, then make changes as I type them out on the computer. I recently took to using primarypad (this thing here) so I can get some proofreaders to help me out, too.

Heavenless, I have the exact same problem you do. The attention span combined with all the other hobbies I have at my disposal and the fact that I only get so many hours of computer time daily due to sharing a computer with my mom, I find it extremely difficult to focus on reading any stories, even awesome Felarya ones. T.T
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums   

Back to top Go down

Differences Between Writing and Other Mediums
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1