Share | 

Nature Calling?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Nature Calling?   Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Okay, a really interesting question just came up in an RP I was doing, and I have to know now.

It's been established that nagas don't have butts, but does that mean they also don't have anuses? And if that's the case, how do they get rid of waste in their bodies? O.o

Last edited by Nyaha on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:59 pm

...Maybe any unusable waste is sent to a small second stomach, that completely breaks them down with acid?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Nyaha wrote:
Okay, a really interesting question just came up in an RP I was doing, and I have to know now.

It's been established that nagas don't have butts, but does that mean they also don't have anuses? And if that's the case, how do they get rid of waste in their bodies? O.o

Their lower body is a snake. It's probably the same way centaurs, mermaids and others get rid of waste. It goes out the animal part.

Snakes typically have a cloaca on the bottom of their tail, near the end, where waste is expelled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Which means they do have an Anus it's just not located where one would first guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:11 pm

What RCS said. I brought up a similar question a little while ago and the consensus is that nagas & merfolk have anuses / cloacas on the ventral side (the snake belly part). This makes sense because the spine, for it to be continuous as is only logical, would extend past the butt in back, causing the anus to be on the front side, rather than in the case of the easy misconception where (some people think) the tail grows out of the crotch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://helia.net63.net
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 am

parameciumkid wrote:
What RCS said. I brought up a similar question a little while ago and the consensus is that nagas & merfolk have anuses / cloacas on the ventral side (the snake belly part). This makes sense because the spine, for it to be continuous as is only logical, would extend past the butt in back, causing the anus to be on the front side, rather than in the case of the easy misconception where (some people think) the tail grows out of the crotch.

Yep, although it's fairly obvious that nagas, mermaids and so on do have a human-like hip structure where it's supposed to be. Likely different in some ways since there's no legs to hook into it, but they do seem to have hip bones. I just assumed the spine continues past that. Those tails aren't just dead weight afterall =P Look at nagas, they have a secondary stomach and all of their intestines and such in their tail. Not sure about mermaids though, maybe the air bladder and other fishy things. Oceanic nagas, for example, have a very large secondary lung in their tails, for deep dives. I believe sea krait nagas have one too, although it's smaller, to make room for the extra muscle mass required to slither around on land.

Dridders and other arthropods are going to be weird though, since their animal halves have an exoskeleton. Maybe the spine eventually just fuses into the exoskeleton below the hips or something

As for centaurs, I dunno. Maybe a secondary heart and lungs? Keeping that kinda body supplied with oxygen, especially while running, is going to be vital. Really, there's a lot of neat ways to go with this kinda thing.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 am

I am morbidly curious as to where they put the waste...

You are driving along, you make a sharp turn through the trees and crash right into a mountain of earth that wasn't there before...wait, that's not earth... freak out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 am

Well, just like any other animal. Besides, the heat and humidity of the jungle favours the descomposition and recycling of wastes. In a matter of days you'll have that "mountain of earth" not smelling at all and covered in fungi.

The thing with humans is that there's too many wastes and they don't move much from their living place. Preds should have an extended territory, or travelling space, so the wastes don't accumulate in the same place and are harder to notice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:44 am

In all honestly, most would probably have a dedicated location or two to handle that. Dig a simple latrine, or even just dig a small hole and bury it when you're done. But yes, there's bound to be plenty of creatures and bacteria to aid in the decomposition.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:56 am

I would like to drop my metaphorical hammer by saying that if a detail is not vital to the enjoyment of a work, then it's not necessary. The fact this thread is asking how do hybrids take a dump is a neon sign that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. If you want details for the wiki, like how their anatomies work, sure, that's an alright thread, but otherwise, are you really gonna write a scene in your stories that describe how a snake person take care of its excrement? If you answered yes, then you are the master of padding, cause I couldn't come up with a more useless scene if I tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:08 pm

Shady was stating things a little harshly, probably. Though I would like to emphasize his point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:07 pm

This isn't a worldbuilding or wiki thread.

It's just a small discussion of something that doesn't get brought up a lot.

The padding rule only applies to stories, not to discussions about in-setting elements.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
are you really gonna write a scene in your stories that describe how a snake person take care of its excrement? If you answered yes, then you are the master of padding, cause I couldn't come up with a more useless scene if I tried.

Never underestimate the ablity of someone who could take something like taking a crap and making it relevant

For example, if you don't expose of it correctly while in the wild, you are at a great risk of alerting other creatures that you've been there very recently depending on Decomposition, which is why humans use chemical toilets and why animals normally bury it. However such a huge creature as a Naga digging up earth and putting it back would obviously leave a great ammount of uneven and earth that would look like it's been disturbed which savvy smaller creatures might possbilty notice if they are in the territory, especially if the uneven earth was faily solid the last time they passed through

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Yes, however, that's a development point in the story. It's not necessary to specify which orifice the excrement comes from though. That's unnecessary detailing I think. Ah well, its pointless to argue, and now we know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:57 pm

DarkOne wrote:

For example, if you don't expose of it correctly while in the wild, you are at a great risk of alerting other creatures that you've been there very recently depending on Decomposition, which is why humans use chemical toilets and why animals normally bury it. However such a huge creature as a Naga digging up earth and putting it back would obviously leave a great ammount of uneven and earth that would look like it's been disturbed which savvy smaller creatures might possbilty notice if they are in the territory, especially if the uneven earth was faily solid the last time they passed through

That could easily end badly for an adventuring group even if they didn't get eaten.

Treasure hunter leader looks at the map confused:
"The treasure should be buried.."
Makes a mistake reading the treasure map then points at a large area of disturbed soil.
"It should be buried over there. Start digging men!"

Second.. If some group did somehow get covered in.. You know.. Would that be the one time a predator will pass up the bite sized snacks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:06 pm

I think it takes a certain type of person to consume something that has come in physical contact with their own wastes, no matter how delectable it usually is to them. O.o
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:16 pm

Sure it probably won't work on beasts or other non sentient predators. But I'm sure a sentient predator may pass them up.

Giant Naga traps a bunch of "You know" covered Humans.
Naga:"Yummy a.." *Snifs*
Humans:"Ahhh!"
Naga makes a face: "Eww.. On second thought I think I'll wait for the next group of prey."
Humans: "Umm.. Let's get out of here before the smell fades."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am

I thought I asked this a while back and we went with dung beetles or something as where all "that" went.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:59 pm

I've been waiting for an opportunity to use this, because I've wondering about this as well.

From Inui Takemaru's 'Daily Life With A Monster Girl'

Last edited by Zephyr102 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Giving Credit)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nature Calling?   

Back to top Go down

Nature Calling?
Page 1 of 1