Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ilceren's little notebook

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ilceren
Ilceren

Ilceren's little notebook Empty
PostSubject: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:00 am

Well, as you'd imagine, I'll use this thread to post my stories. I have something like a curse that prevents me from completely finishing stories, so be warned. Though maybe I'll be able to finish them if you keep bugging me about it whenever you meet me, so, if you like one, please do that.
As with my other threads, this will be an index where I'll group the different stories.

Tavern rumours
A young woman spends time in a tavern, looking for interesting rumours, but she doesn't expect where the meeting will lead her to...
-- - First part
-- - Second part
-- - Third part
-- - Fourth part

By the way, don't be confused if I mention little things you can't find anywhere. I tend to invent them right away and then fill the holes expanding the concept in the Ideas thread. I'll still keep a little glossary here, for reference, in order of appearance.

-Amaishthala - bittersweet fruit, used in a drink with aromatic herbs.
-The Maiden's Cloak - tavern in the Low Tier.
-Mayre - unfortunate young adventurer that tries to convince Surv to run away from the centaur.

- • Survivor ("Surv") - a mysterious human male. He seems to be known and ridiculed in certain circles.
- • Rudy - a male human. Happens to be a rumour hunter.
- • Elarya [Natim] - a female human looking for interesting rumours.
- • Undergrown - tavern in the Middle Tier. Known among tinies for the service they offer, taking them to the tavern and carrying them back for a very small fee.
- • Second shadow - second hour since the sun has set, though it isn't actually since the sun has set, but counted after the setting (twilight) hours end.
- • Felarya's father - a human male constantly suffering what looks like diseases, even in the illness-free world that is Felarya. Word goes about that he is cursed and because of that he doesn't benefit of the healing powers of the earth.
- • Felarya's mother - a mixed human female. Beautiful and calm, she is the perfect image of a high-society Negavian woman. She has got hybrid pupils that strongly hold the attention of whoever sets eyes on her, a fascination she uses on her advantage when necessary.
- • Theo Riannor -  a private doctor to the Mitan family, an offworlder doctor who came to this world to investigate the magic soil and how it cures illnesses. After taking a liking to the anti-aging effect of Felarya he took residence in Negav and was later found and contracted by the Mitan family to deal with the current head's constant sickness. Old-looking male human, his age is now well over the lifespan of his original world.
- • Isanwery [Emmanuelle Reishemorth] - a refined, high-class man. Human. He is always invited to the Mitan family parties, and he is rumoured to have a love interest in Felarya Mitan.
-Miraia [Telmed] -  unknown. A female human. A criminal.
-Fem [Fang] - a female human from the High Tier, pretty short in stature. Copyneko's host and best friend. She possesses a good amount of businesses fruit of strategic investments of her and her parents, and keeps a high social status. However, she rarely accepts invitations to parties and is rumoured to prefer the company of adventurers in dirty and crammed taverns. She is married to a high-ranking city guard.
-Night on Fire - a surprisingly popular night show that takes place daily in Negav. It has a herald of its own, something very uncommon, considering that the show itself is free. Its sponsor is unknown, but it is rumoured to be Whisper, since it takes place more frequently in zones of Negav where his influence is high.
-Firedancer - a type of artist/entertainer. His activity consists of dancing and making acrobatic movements in the proximity of fire in many forms. Due to its nature, the dance can be either an exhibition of skill or a suggestive show, as a good amount of flesh shown is always a requisite.
-Undergrown (2) - tavern in the Middle Tier, decorated with magnificent wooden carvings resembling trees and plants. Its name is a wordplay between the undergrowth of the forest it depicts and the tinies it puts emphasis on. Security is high, both to protect the tinies and to prevent fires. Rumours say the barmen have several fire hoses behind the bar, ready to be used.
-Bait - a nickname of Surv. It is unknown if he has more.
-Petrer [Iodyl] - a human male. It's known that he works for Whisper's organisation as a messenger, and that they place utmost trust on him. He can get to any point of Negav in less than four minutes, and has never been captured by the authorities or other factions while carrying a message.
-Whisper - crime lord from the lower tiers of Negav. His organization is spread out along various areas of the city, and the zones under his control include a good chunk of the western middle tier, near the rich Grand Market. His organization is good-natured for a crime environment, actually protecting the local populace in their districts.
-Rakihz [Miokhaq] - a male inu criminal, convicted for kidnapping a mildly influential merchant. He spent two years in the upper levels of the New Chargate prison and was marked as a Blinded. Well known in the criminal world for his efficient and stealthy kidnappings. Rumoured to possess a special skill or power that helps in some way to make them run smoothly.
-Filo [Inimaim] - a male human. He works in the city's maintenance administration, water and sewers section. Often tasked with repairs and damage reports, his work is mostly paperwork.

Code:
[color=#3A3A3A]-[/color][color=#ffa500] • [/color][u][color=orange][/color][/u][color=#ffa500][/color]

Last edited by Ilceren on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:11 am; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:04 am

Tavern rumours

First part

--- In a tavern at the Low Tier of Negav, the mood this very night was unusually good, with various characters filling the antique-looking tables and chairs crammed in the not so spacious room. The atmosphere was noisy but welcoming, with the yellowish orange light doing the most part for the cosiness of the place.

--- At a table near the entrance, two rowdy men, whose beards you'd think they belong to some Dwarf or maybe a Viking from the old fantastic stories, were exchanging taunts in a very harpyish manner, only to laugh and then clink their giant-sized beer jars. In another table near the centre, a small man wearing a cloak was bellowing japes and jokes while standing on a chair and gesturing excitedly, much to the delight of the surrounding tables and even the stage girl, who was supposed to be dancing.

--- In all this activity, I could just look around in awe from the small space I managed to find at the bar. As I was sipping on my non-alcoholic drink of bittersweet Amaishthala and aromatic herbs, I got wind of some rumours being discussed in a spot near me, so I much unladylikely moved closer to put an ear to the conversation.

--- "… a centaur in my last visit. Man, we almost wind up dead after that one, but that weird guy just kept on walking. I just run past him, but Mayre stopped to talk him out of it. By the time we managed to regroup, those two plus three quarters of the group were missing, so we just had to go back."
--- "A guy with a really weird overcoat? That description is somehow familiar. Maybe you mean one with countless pockets all round it?"
--- "That's exactly the one. You met him too?"
--- "Yah, and more than once, actually. Strangely, though, when we met him he was always alone. The first time, as he was going in the same direction as we were, he offered himself as a scout for nine Skevols one-way. Best business I ever did, I tell ya."
--- "How is that so? You would move faster without him, and I bet he does no good when scouting."
--- "Nope, he did quite good. Made us change direction two times and even lead us to a hidden village. He parted then and went to some other place, but it was worth every Skeda."
--- "Hmmm." The other party didn't seem quite convinced. "And you say you met him again?"
--- "Uh-huh, but it wasn't much. We run into him edging Bulvon Wood. He only said 'Careful with that Dryad' before disappearing in some random direction. As we looked around, we indeed noticed what looked like a cave entrance. We weren't sure it was actually a Dryad, but just to be safe we kept our distance."
--- "I'm not convinced. I didn't sense any magic power from him, and you know I'm a darn good spellcaster. He should simply be unable to see a Dryad when she's hiding. Man, I know I'm not usually like this, but I just can't take him serious. Even more so thinking about the nickname he uses, 'Surv'. Heh. Short for 'Survivor'. Who would believe such a per..."

--- Suddenly, the tavern owner butted into the conversation rather forcibly.

--- "Yo-you were talking about the Survivor? Seriously?"
--- "Ehhhh-- Yeah... What has gotten into you all of a sudden?" The one answering was the unconvinced man from before.
--- "Then I got something that I really have to say. That guy even appears in rumours among Sphinxes! They call him the 'bizarre human with funny clothes' and affirm tha..."
--- "Hey, wait a minute. Sphinx rumours? Do they even have something like that?" This time it was a man that didn't participate in the earlier conversation.
--- "They do. A good friend of mine has been studying in the Academy of Sentinels and told me all about it. This one comes from what he said, and believe me, he doesn't tend to exaggerate things." Said the owner, seemingly very positive about it.
--- "Then go on, what happened?" Encouraged another new person, actually a girl, who just recently joined.

--- Upon hearing this, I realized that most of the tavern was quiet and filled with expectation. People were forming a tight ring around the place where the tavern owner and the two initial conveyors of the tale were. Is this man so known around here? Or it's just that the heated conversation was too loud and eventually people got interested? As these and other questions popped up in my mind, the owner continued from the point where he got interrupted.

--- "Well, the rumours say that this funny-clothed human approached a Sphinx guarding some sort of treasure in a cave. Of course, the Sphinx asked him a riddle and - here comes the best - as soon as the man heard it, he went still. Still as in totally still. No moving to feed or drink. He stayed that way for a whole day and night and just as the Sphinx was pondering if she should eat him up for using too much time, he answered. The answer was correct, and as the Sphinx was prepared to head out, leaving the man to harvest the treasure, the man did something unexpected. He turned to leave. When he was questioned about it, he simply answered 'I got here by mistake'."
--- "Now that's a stupid fella, if you ask me!" Just as the tavern owner finished speaking, someone from the outer ring said this remark. And with it, the tension shattered and countless small conversations sprouted throughout the room, followed by a heated exchange.

--- The general volume of the discussions became some sort of a storm, with words flying about referring to him being "good", "weird" or "nuts" and all the ranges in between. I deemed it to be the right moment to leave The Maiden's Cloak and head home, marking the end of tonight's fun, or so I thought.

--- When I left the tavern, I felt a most welcome cool breeze in my face and stopped a few steps from the door to raise my sight and look at the sky. The moon was bluish tonight, and there were some low clouds moving lazily in the wind. As I was there, enjoying the cool embrace, I heard the tavern's door open and close, then some light footsteps.

--- "The sky is clear tonight, right, young lady?" A male voice said from behind me. The tone was neutral, but at least he had taken a moment to see what I was doing.
--- "It is indeed." I answered, trying to sound gentle. "It's a pity that Negav's lights don't let the stars appear."
--- "Yeah, it's a pity the outside is too dangerous for stargazing for a lady to go alone."
--- "Are you implying I'd be okay if someone accompanied me?" I asked, rather direct.
--- "Not at all, I'm not courteous enough to do that, I'm afraid." The man answered, sounding sincere. "I was just stating a fact."
--- "Oh, so you aren't flirting with me." I half-asked. The answer had poked my curiosity, and I realized that maybe that was what the man wanted.
--- "Heh, no." The man chuckled a bit and moved beside me, but at a respectful distance. I wouldn't reach him even if I was to extend my right arm. "I just noticed you when you left the tavern."
--- "That doesn't mean you aren't going for me." I pointed out and turned to look at him while he gazed at the sky. His face was well-kept, with sharp features and a remarkable line under the eye, possibly there due to continuous lack of sleep.
--- "That's right. I'll just say that I can distinguish fellow rumour hunters when I see them, then" He said, turning to look at me as well.

--- Rumour hunters. That was true, I was one of them. Those that browse around the market during the day or go from tavern to tavern at night, never talking, just listening. These people called themselves rumour hunters, their main occupation being the collection of information via rumours. While some just used them as a way to learn, others eavesdropped on adventurers to go ahead of them with their own group and snatch what they were looking for. This nasty practice earned them another nickname, 'overhearers', and the 'rumour hunter' name was only common now among those who were part of the group.

--- My mind stopped working for a second, and my mouth was probably agape during that time since the man chuckled. I rapidly composed myself. "Oh, I'm sorry. I just didn't expect you to be a rumour hunter. I thought you were after me and... Erm, I apologize, I meant no offense."
--- "None taken, I was kinda after you in fact, wasn't I?" He said with a tone as if he was having fun. "I just wanted us to exchange rumours. Not now, whenever you feel like it. I tend to be in a tavern named 'Undergrown' in the Middle Tier at around the Second shadow."
--- I looked around for the first public clock I could find, and saw that it was only half an hour for the time he mentioned, time had passed by too fast in the tavern. "I see, I guess I'll drop by whenever I feel like it. I'm not used to being up till so late."
--- "I'll be expecting you." The man said, looking a bit down to her eyes with a smile. "I have to go now, I don't want to keep my mates waiting. A pleasure." He raised a hand in front of him, though it wasn't held vertically for a shake, but horizontally and slightly cupped.
--- "It was mine." I said politely and then realized what he wanted me to do. I put my hand on his, and the man kissed it lightly. When he turned to go, I added: "I believe you haven't said your name."
--- He turned back to me and answered: "I'm called Rudy." Then he added: "I'll ask yours when we meet in the Undergrown."

--- The man turned again and headed towards the Middle Tier, going out of the tavern's light range and quickly disappearing between the buildings. I followed him with my eyes until he went out of sight, still pondering about his last words before he left.

--- "Elarya." I said in a low tone to no one in particular.

Last edited by Ilceren on Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Error correction)
Back to top Go down
eusuna
Helpless prey
eusuna

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Just read your first part here. and already looking forward to read the secound part.

Really liked the flow of the, conversations when the characters are telling about the rumors-

keep up the good work. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 am

Thank you for reading, glad you liked it ^^
And yeah, I hope I can keep at least the same level as this one with the next part.

Last edited by Ilceren on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Merku
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Merku

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 1:42 pm

It's good. I will admit it's a little slow to start but it's good.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:03 am

It's starting really well ! it's a very unusual setting and a really interesting idea Smile
I'm curious to learn more about those rumor hunters Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 am

Thank you both. Hopefully, we'll be bale to see more rumour hunters in the next part, I still have to think about it. My exams start in two days, so I won't be able to start writing anything for a week. I do have some ideas, though, exam periods are ones of the most creative for me XD
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Forget-me-not, I'm still alive =P
Also, I should say I'm not that happy about this part, there's something that bugs me. If you think something is off while reading it, please tell me. That said, please enjoy!

Tavern rumours

Second part

Felarya Claire Minalca Ureile Mitan, a name with the sole purpose of mocking the gods, and even the world itself. She disliked that name, dearly, and still couldn't bring herself to answer whenever someone called her like that. Not even after twenty five years of being called that way. It was just... unnatural.

It was not uncommon for people of her standing to have really pompous and long given names, more so in the Mitan family, but no one ever dared to call their children the same as a goddess or the world. Her father was the one who broke such taboo, not thinking of what would it mean to her. In fact, he was very proud of it, boasting about how her name made her one with the world.

Her mind dwelled a bit on the image of a sick-looking young male, stuck in a richly decorated bed and sweating profusely. It was ironic that the image she had of her father was like that, the worst part of him, just the same she thought her name to be, the worst part of her. Fortunately, he wasn't always ill like that. When he recovered, he was a kind and warm father, almost as lively as her. Even considering his incessant attention to her and her well-being, he was a good father, and she loved him. She had eventually forgiven him in her mind for naming her like that.

She took a step forward and started descending the huge staircase, the voices down there dying out as a name that was hers yet not only hers was announced. She could see and even sense the gazes of the crowd looking at her as she gracefully saluted them from a higher position, still in the staircase, and encouraged them to make themselves at home. The usual murmur of agreement and blessing followed before she finally stepped down from the stairs and started exchanging pleasantries with the guests.

Even so, her mind was absent. She was merely acting like an automatic device, putting on fake smiles and laughing emptily at attempted jokes from the other people. This was her role, and she would gladly interpret it whenever needed if she could be free to do what she wanted at any other time. Just an hour or two of social interaction and a filling dinner to have a week's worth of freedom. It wasn't so bad after all.

However, today was different. She would always endure this time almost with a true smile on her lips, not minding the empty talk and the high-class gossip of both women and men, but this time she was really bored and unfocused. She couldn't stop thinking about the events of the day before, about Rudy and his parting words, and the lack of sleep wasn't helping either. She caught herself almost yawning and quickly supressed the motion tightening her jaw and covering herself discretely with her fan. It was then when she was brought back to the conversation with a question.

"...come your father is sick again? I was told he had recovered just two days ago from his swollen throat." The inquirer was a lady clad in an elegant sleeveless dress.
"It is true. However, it would seem he has fallen to another illness. As the doctor said, he seems to be weak even in this world, and he added that the increased stress from parties makes him even more vulnerable to disease." She answered matter-of-factly with the usual answer.
"I heard so before, but isn't that strange? Felaryan ground is supposed to get rid of any illness, be it foreign or local, anyone knows that." The lady insisted, seemingly intent on getting an answer this time.
"I'm afraid I'm not the best person you would ask about these matters, my knowledge on applied medicine is quite limited, I should say." She answered, trying to put an end to the undesired assault.
"How about a parasite? Has the doctor considered such an option?" Intervened a man accompanying the lady from before. She paused and looked at him for a moment before wording her response.
"Theo Riannor is a doctor with over a hundred and twenty years of experience, more than half of them in Felarya. Any competent person would have thought about a parasitic cause, yet that isn't the answer." She looked around for a fraction of a second before adding. "If you would excuse me." With that, she left the pair and headed towards a small circle of people. With a few words she managed to pass through the group and reach a high door leading to a side room.

Having closed the door behind her, she turned and leaned her back against the beautiful red wood. Her gaze flew around the empty room before she closed her eyes and let out a sigh. This was getting to her. The Second shadow, her father's illness, the rumours, the high-class party, the feeling of cool air on the skin, the parasites, the Undergrown... facts and thoughts were merging in her mind, turning her head into a storm that threatened to burst it open. She had to calm down. They were just two different, isolated facts. A time and place to meet, a veiled attempt to find the truth. Just those two. The gossipers were just taking advantage of her tiredness to try and get a bit of extra information from her. She only had to forget about the future meeting and everything would be under control again.

She let out another sigh and steadied her breathing. Just then, the doorknob turned and she felt a pressure on her back. She immediately stepped away from the door to let it open, facing the person that entered the room. It was a young lady with abundant, blonde hair, the same colour as hers. Her skin was fair and her face beautiful, but the most outstanding features were the elongated pupils on her light brown eyes, halfway between the roundness of a human and the sharpness of a neko. She smiled warmly.

"What are you doing here, dear?" Her voice was warm and kind.
"I'm only... recomposing myself, mom." She said, managing an embarrassed smile. "They are being pretty blunt today, so my guess is that I panicked a bit."
"My poor, little girl." The lady said, pulling her into a sweet embrace. "Though you're not 'little' anymore." She giggled softly in Felarya's ear and voiced a slight humming that lasted for less than half a minute, before breaking the hug and looking into her eyes. "Feeling better?"
"Yes." She said, smiling and gazing deeply into her hybrid pupils, so similar to her own. She realized she had never asked about them; perhaps she would, another day.
"I'm glad to hear that." The lady answered with a smile of her own. "Then let's go back to the party, before they notice your absence." She said, holding onto her arm with hers, as if she would escape.
"Okay..." - Felarya said, letting out a sigh. "And mom... thank you." She managed to say while they were entering back into the main living room.
"It was nothing, dear. To tell truth, you helped yourself, I just did a bit of hugging." She answered lightly and chuckled. "By the way, what time was it when you finally returned yesterday?" The lady asked slyly.
"Uuuuhhh..." She trailed off, knowing she had been caught.
"Hehe, it's okay, it's okay." The lady said, waving it off with her free hand. "I'm just teasing you a bit, I know you're a responsible lady."
"Well, I know I shouldn't come back so late when there's a party next morning." She admitted. "But things got so interesting I lost track of time."
"I should be the one saying that, and since I'm not, you better take advantage of it." The lady said with a wink. "Oh, here comes Isanwery. Prepare for battle, my dear squire!" She added jokingly when a tall man approached them.

The images of the two women faded quickly from my mind, but their laughter echoed inside my skull during long seconds before they disappeared entirely. My eyes darted open and I stared furiously down to the figure of a familiar female sitting on a chair.

"Noooooooo! I told you to show me about HIM, not this junk!" I yelled.

This brat was sooo annoying, and I was starting to lose patience. Even after using suggestion magic, I couldn't bring her to show me anything relevant. In spite of showing such girlish memories, so much caring, so many stupid feelings, such trivial daily problems... even though she was so plushy and weak, her mind was as tough as iron. In a fit of rage, I slapped her face with my full strength and sent her, and the chair she was bound to, crashing down to the ground.

"Now, how about you do something on your end and help me? This can get pretty messy, and painful, very quickly." I grabbed a handful of her gorgeous blonde hair and pulled sharply to raise her head and make her look at me. "Consider this an appetizer." I said as I prepared to slap her once more.

"You better not raise that hand again, Miraia." A deep, male voice commanded from the shadows.

Last edited by Ilceren on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 12:31 pm

No one still? D=
I'd like to hear opinions, please. That's the only way I can improve...
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 9:51 am

Okay I'll have a stab at this. I still owe you for when you reviewed my first chapter anyway.

I think the story is shaping up well, the concept is intriguing. Really plays into the mystery genre which I always liked.
The only criticism I can think of is that the characters have yet to really define themselves, like the prontagonist in the first chapter, we find out she's a rumour hunter, but outside of that there's not much to go on. I like there being a sense of mystery to a character, but I would still had prefered if there was something that gave some indication of how she is different from other rumour hunters, something that makes her memorable other than a name and occupation.

So far, the prontagonists of the chapters spend so much time listening and keeping a low profile, that we learn more about everything else besides the characters. Of course these are still early chapters and they are quite small (in my opinon at least, my first chapter was about 6,000 words) so the characters might need more time to flesh out so this criticism is perhaps nitpicky, but I've always found that the best stories give a good lasting impression of a character by the time their first apperance has ended, even if you don't know their full back story yet.

As I said, it might be a bit nitpicky, but you asked for commentary so at least I've given you something
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Good, good. The criticism is fine, because it leads me to one thing: I didn't make it clear enough that Elarya and Felarya are the same person. Or at least that's what I'm infering from your comment, you thought they were two separate characters, right?
I intend to picture a person from the nobility that isn't satisfied with her status. She feels like she really has no place in a high-class of really old people that see her as a potential prey because of her young age and inexperience, since they think her father's passing will be a matter of time. That's why she seeks to be something else, starts to hang out late with the commoners and collect rumours of the world outside the city. It is true, however, that she isn't memorable. She might never be. But I'll try my hardest to make her more interesting. Advice is appreciated, if anyone has it.

On another note, yes, these chapters are quite short. It was intended as a short story, meaning short chapters. But after two parts and some, things are getting a bit complex in my mind and might be longer than expected. Which doesn't imply it will also be better.

Lastly, thank you, DarkOne. Even if you think you haven't helped me much, you have. I will try to read and comment the rest of your chapters as soon as possible, too.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Ah right, now that I've reread the second chapter, it does seem quite obvious that Elarya and Felarya are the same person ^_^;

I think what confused me was that the perspetive changed, different perspetives of course are not uncommon in fiction but very few authors use it with first person perspectives. So when I started reading chapter two I didn't realize it wasn't Elarya telling the story until the very end, and by then confusion about whenever Elarya is the same person from Felarya had already set in. But I don't think it's anything a few extra lines woulden't fix.

As to how to make Elarya more interesting, well since she's comes from a nobile background she might not tottaly understand how things work with the lower classes, just because she wants to associate herself with them doesn't mean there won't be a few misunderstandings. That is quite obvious and you might have already thought of that, but there should be enougth things in the Felarya lore in order to make that old story chestnut different.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Yeah, second chapter is kinda made to be confusing. Only a jerk puts a flashback in third perspective into a narration in first perspective XD I tried to give a bit of foreshadowing on what's going to happen later and try to get people's attention. I shall put a few more references to the first chapter so that it's clear those two are the same person, though.

Next chaper is going to have a lot more conversation, so I hope characters will get more defined there. Except for one, who doesn't talk. But she has a bio, so it's not a problem XD

Thanks again, DarkOne. And sorry for fishing you out like that last day U.U
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:09 am

It's nice to see the story continues Smile
the setting is really intriguing and I like how you progressively unveil elements of Felarya / Elarya's situation and character. The way she acts when she is with the customers  and respond to them after their start to ask questions about her father is subtle but pretty telling. I am curious to see here this will go  ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks! Glad you liked it =D

Next turn is coming soon. As I said, it'll have a long and (sometimes) distended conversation, a few secondary characters more, and it'll advance the plot. As it's supposed to be a short story, it won't be that much, but it'll settle the bases of some interactions for my future stories.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am

Here I come with the next part of the story! Longer, with a lot more conversation, and a new character. I hope this shows more about these people and lights the flames of curiosity. Also, as always, please point out anything that seems to be wrong. Any tiny detail is fine, in both plot and writing.
I suggest you to check the glossary in the first post as well, it gets expanded with each new part.

Tavern rumours

Third part

I met the Neko at our usual place, a small plaza in the Low Tier, halfway between our respective homes. She was silent, modest, and undeniably beautiful. Her gorgeous cat-like ruby eyes fixed on me as she spotted me coming close. A half smile came to my lips, answered on her side by a true, big one. No words needed, I extended my arm and she took it, then we started walking towards the Middle Tier.

The setting sun, speared in the myriad of pointed roofs and towers, was casting its last rays before disappearing, painting the city in a deep orange. The walk was silent, not that it was something uncommon, but I felt like changing the habit today. I mussed the words a bit on my mind before I came up with a suitable sentence.

"I wonder how the day has been for a certain someone. Would something unusual have happened to her? May she have met a dashing, charming adventurer before our meeting?"

I saw she intended to make for the little notebook in her pocket, but she stopped herself and just hugged my arm more tightly, resting her head on the side of my shoulder. So I am the best thing that happened in her day, huh? As sad as it may seem, it was an answer leaning to the "good" side. I know how hard it is for her to depend completely on other people, always on the verge of being ridiculed. If it weren't for a few friends she could count with one hand, her life would be a living hell. I decided to change the subject a bit.

"That's good, then." I replied to her silent answer. "The day's been nice on my side too, but I have a feeling that the best part is about to come."

The Neko gazed in my direction, her intentions clearly readable to me.

"If a certain someone would remember, I met a lady two days ago. Well, she didn't come yesterday, as I thought she would, so I looked a bit into it. There was no obvious reason for a normal person not to come except... the case she isn't a normal person. Fem told me earlier this afternoon that there had been a high-society party yesterday at the High Tier. A certain someone should have heard about it too."

Her eyes lighted up in realization for a moment, before she eagerly nodded. Of course she would, she lived with Fem herself in the High Tier as well. No party goes unnoticed there, not even if you aren't invited.

"That's right. Well, I did notice that her beverage wasn't what you would normally see around and her clothes seemed kind of new. Now it fits." I looked at my companion. "I think she will come tonight."

The orange colour slowly faded to red then dark blue as we continued through the city. From the north gate of the Middle Tier, on to the Angel Road and passing near the Grand Market District, the walk was peaceful and quiet. The nocturnal coolness started to settle in, and the street lights were lit. The city slowly drifted from day to night activity, merchants leaving, adventurers coming back and street shows starting.

"Ladies and gentlemen! The Night on Fire show is finally here, taking place just next to your home! Enjoy the daily show of the best firedancer in Negav just here, in your own street! No need to be shy, who would blame you for coming to see such an amazing beauty? Letting the opportunity pass by is what people should be embarrassed about! Over here, completely free of cost! Ladies and gentlemen, you can't...!"

Now that's unusual. I had never seen a night show that had a herald of its own. Either it had a very important sponsor or the show was so popular that it paid off to have one. Still, the show wasn't of interest to either of us, so we moved down the street through the gathering crowd. However, the herald appeared just next to us, trying to nag us into staying.

"Now, what do we have here? A romantic couple out for a date? Why don't you enjoy each other's company while watching the best show in this part of Negav? Satisfaction guaranteed!"

"Not now. Sorry." I answered bluntly. These people would cling to any bit of information you gave, trying to convince you to stay, so it was better not to explain anything at all. Besides, having someone so enthusiastic talking to us was bad. My companion was getting tense; I could feel it in her grip, so I had tried to dispatch him fast. It didn't work.

"Such an answer. Insensitive men, laying waste to all of the firedancer's preparation and eagerness. Surely a woman like y--"

"Don't dare speak to her." I cut him, talking in a slightly higher tone than I had previously. "She doesn't wish to hear your chatter, she doesn't need to stand your gibberish, she doesn't even desire your presence. Leave at once if you don't want trouble. Is that clear?"

The herald cowered in fear at the sudden outburst and hastily left us in peace, at last. There were quite a few people from the crowd that looked our way strangely, but it didn't bother us. Or at least me.

"That was close." I said with a small sigh. "Better get going."

The Neko nodded meekly. We left the crowd behind and continued or little walk. We crossed Fortune Lane to exit the Grand Market District and just a few streets away laid our destination: the Undergrown.

It was a good tavern, three storeys high with two miniature middle floors between them, reserved for tiny use. The front wall was breathtakingly beautiful, with a layer of tinged, carved wood resembling a forest, carefully crafted to fit windows and balconies into gaps and over branches, melting them into the scene. It was truly a piece of art. The circular tower attached to the right of the main building was built and decorated in order to look like a pine tree, matching the rest of the wall.

As we closed in on the main door, music drifted into our ears. This was a relaxed, lazy song, matching the start of the night. Songs and bands would progressively change with the atmosphere, providing a good entertainment, or at least a good background for a drink. The voices of the various couples and groups that were starting to gather mixed into the sounds of the night. I could feel my excitement rising. The more the merrier, they said, and that was even more true for a rumour hunter such as myself. I listened to the conversations intently while my partner signalled for a table for three, centred.

The interior was furnished and decorated just like the exterior, but with metal as well as wood to reinforce those places where it was necessary. The chairs and tables were made of both materials and fashioned after the undergrowth of the forest; plants, bushes, small trees and a rare tree stump here and there. Slender columns rose to the ceiling, resembling tree trunks and sprouting branches and leaves when ten feet high. Up there was the place reserved for the tinies, an open space made by the intertwined branches, vines and tree crowns.

We got seated pretty fast since the Neko was a known customer and the staff cared for her almost as if she was a common daughter. The table's position was pretty nice, next to the small pond that occupied the centre of the room and leaning to the side of the tavern that tended to be more crowded. I would normally prefer to sit closer to that zone, but I thanked the closeness of the pond this time for the protection it offered from keen ears, keeping them far. The Neko took out her notebook and we talked for a while as we waited for our guest to come.

In due time, at the Second shadow sharp, I noticed our guest coming through the door. Noticing her was simple; her colour had a great contrast with the surrounding atmosphere. Even if I had seen her in some other place like a street crowded to the brim with any kind of conceivable creature, I would have recognized her. That's how unique her colour was.

I hurried to meet her at the door and got there just as she was asking the waiter for a man called 'Rudy'. Of course, that was me.

"I'm here, young lady." I called out to her before the waiter could even answer. "I'm glad you have come, we have a table ready."
"Thank you, Rudy. And please, stop calling me 'young lady'. I'm Elarya, Elarya Natim." She said.
"'Elarya', that's not a name you hear every day. Pretty nice too." I replied then motioned her with a hand. "The table is over here. We have a lovely spot, I'm sure you'll like it."

I led Elarya to our table through the maze of trees and bushes. I could navigate around the place with ease, but I understood that a person new to this place wouldn't be able to go that fast, nor want to either, so I chose a relaxed pace so she could admire her surroundings. When we got to the place and I sat next to the Neko, Elarya looked confused for a second before taking her seat.

"Elarya, this is a friend of mine." I said, pointing to the Neko with a whole hand. "People refer to that one as 'Copyneko'. Even though it's not a real name, it's the only one we know, so that's about it." I turned to look at the Neko, thinking for a second. "As I said, she is Elarya. She's the one I've been talking about before." The Neko waved to her as greeting.
"A pleasure to meet you, Co-" Elarya started to say.
"Sorry Elarya, there's one thing you need to know." I hastily cut her, preventing her from fully addressing Copyneko. "You can't talk to her directly." I stated.
"Huh? Why is that?" Elarya asked. A logical question.
"Did you think that name was someone's occurrence? It's like that for a reason. That one seems to mimic each and every movement of the person who addresses her. That's why you should talk indirectly." I explained succinctly.
"Oh, that's... But how do I... I'm sure I'll address her directly sooner or later." She replied, not trusting herself.
"Don't worry, I'll be paying attention. I recommend you to talk to her as if you were talking to someone who wasn't here. I like to call her with 'A certain someone', for example. You could also talk to both of us as a group; that may work too." I said. "Just take your time. Look at me, I've known her for a good while and I still need to pause for a few seconds to think about how to phrase my words!"

Copyneko chuckled at my comment and started writing in her notebook. She then handed the note to the confused Elarya, who read it carefully.

"Ah! I'm glad to mee... Ehem. I'm glad I met 'someone', too. I'm sure 'someone' is a great person once you get past her peculiarities." Elarya smiled; a true smile. She seemed to be interested in Copyneko, not alienated by her as most people were, and that was great news.
"You learnt it really fast, though I guess it was to be expected from a fellow rumour hunter." I said, congratulating her in my own way. "A certain someone doesn't get to be with many people besides her close friends, so she'd enjoy sharing our talk for this night. I hope you don't mind."
"Not at all! Really, I'm fine with it. It's not like I am too secretive about the things I hear, I just gather them to know more about the outside world. I don't mind sharing them." She answered. Brilliant.
"In that case, I'm sure we'll have information that catches your interest. Mainly a certain someone, but I may have a thing or two as well."

Copyneko nodded and started writing again, passing the note to Elarya. Her face lighted up in happiness when she read the contents.

"Really!? I'd love to hear them! Well... er, read them. Sorry." She said, lowering her head a bit.

Copyneko shook her head and wrote something more. This time it was a bit lengthier, but it probably explained that Elarya didn't have to apologize for such things. Copyneko had accepted her muteness long ago... partial muteness, that is. It wasn't like she could never talk.

"I understand, but... I'm uneasy when I say such things to a person that can't speak. I get the feeling that they may feel insulted." Said Elarya, looking uneasy indeed.
"Then how about we take away that uneasiness? Would you be able to speak to her normally?" I asked.
"Huh? What do you mean?" She replied, a bit confused.
"Just that if you hear her talk, you wouldn't get that impression of insulting her, right?" I looked at Copyneko before Elarya had a chance to answer, and the Neko nodded. "Copyneko, can you hear me talk?"
"Copyneko, can you hear me talk?" The Neko replied, repeating my words exactly just as I voiced them, and then smiling sweetly.
"I didn't... Woah..." Elarya stopped her protests mid-sentence when she heard Copyneko talk.
"You get it now? It's not like she's mute." I said "So please, regard a certain someone as a normal person. You just need to be careful about how you address her, that's all."
"I understand. 'Someone' is just a normal person. Okay." She nodded.
"Good. Also, don't try to do what I did, or a certain someone will get mad. A certain someone lets me because I know what I'm doing." I said, and Elarya nodded again. "Thanks."

Copyneko scribbled something in her notebook, and she showed it to both of us this time. It read like this: <<Now that everything has been explained, how about we get straight to the matter? I'm dying to tell some of my stories.>> The note ended with a happy face.

"Of course. A certain someone should go ahead. I'll go place the orders meanwhile, if you two don't mind."

More than an hour fled by while Copyneko was telling her stories. She not only wrote them, but enacted them with gestures and putting on faces, receiving delighted laughs and smiles in return. She looked really happy, one of the happiest times that I had seen. At some point, curiosity got the best out of some nearby couples and they asked for permission to sit with us. They were accepted with the condition that they wouldn't talk at all.

After this last story ended, I got a nod from Copyneko, so I proceeded to politely dismiss the other strangers. There weren't any tense moments, thankfully, and soon, the three of us were alone again.

"It was so interesting... It's hard to believe there are these kinds of tales too. The ones I've heard are all about death and tragedy." Elarya said, fascinated by Copyneko's stories.
"You need to find the right people for that. Not everyone has the mentality to see danger that way." I replied, confident.
"That may be true. The outside is full of dangers, be them ugly or beautiful. I wonder how people can live outside. If a loved one..."
"Most people are bitter about death, and that's not the right way. It only leads to anger and desire of revenge, which will ultimately lead to frustration or more death. You can trust me on that." I said, accidentally giving away a part of my true self. I realized I had let my guard down, probably due to Copyneko's light-hearted stories, so I decided to turn the conversation back into track. "Well, Elarya, now that you've had your share, I'm afraid I must ask for something in return."
"Ah, yes, the information contract. If you get then you must give." She said, mentioning a rule of courtesy between rumour hunters. "I don't know if I'll have much to give, though."
"Don't worry; it'll have been worth it even if you don't know anything." I replied. "Do you remember that rumour you heard the night we met? About a 'Surv' guy?"
"I do. You're looking for information on him?" She asked. She was sharp.
"You got me. That's right, I'm interested in him... His antics are too strange, but too rational to be from some kind of madman. I've also heard he goes by the nickname of 'Bait'. If he changes names, then I'm sure there's some reason behind his acts."
"'Bait', huh? I'm sorry, but I haven't heard that name before. That was the first time I heard about Surv as well... Sorry." She said, lowering her head a bit.
"It's fine, it's fine. Just keep an ear keen if you happen to hear any of those mentioned, okay?"
"Alrighty, I will do that. That's the least I can do. Is there anything else you are interested in? I still have that debt..."
"No, I have most of the information I desire. This place is a good one for rumour gathering." I replied.
"Oh... Then, I should go to some other tavern right now and see if I can-- Wait, is it this late already?" She said, looking at the wooden clock positioned over the tavern's bar. It was about to give Fourth shadow, not a time for an early riser.
"A true rumour hunter knows no hours." I stated, jokingly. Copyneko chuckled.
"Ideally. In reality, some people must attend to certain duties during the day." She replied, trying to not give away those 'duties'.
"I understand. You've been of much help. If you find something, you know where to find me." I said. Copyneko nodded.
"Well, I don't think so, but I won't say otherwise. Thank 'someone' for her amazing stories, I loved them." She smiled to both of us, stood up and then picked her cape and adjusted her clothes. "I hope I meet 'someone' again when I come back." She added, more like a personal wish than something she wanted to tell us.

I walked her to the exit, silent this time as well, and waved her farewell while she walked down the street. As I thought, she turned the corner in the direction of the High Tier. I went back to the table I shared with Copyneko and took a long sip from my drink. The Neko wrote something.

<<No luck with her, either.>>
"Well, it's not like I mind. That could mean Surv is not as known as I thought. Which is good news." I replied.
<<But I have heard about him a few times here. May it be you just pick the wrong place?>>
"That's a possibility. That is why she is a good one, she's not like the rest. The other three tend to go to the same tavern every day, but she doesn't. She's kind of a wild card. Besides, I see something unusual in her colour."
The Neko nodded. <<I hope so. You'd be taking too much risk if you pick more. Five or six should be the limit.>>
"I know, I know. Thank you." I said, then squeezed one of her hands with mine. One of the rare signs of affection I allowed myself to perform. She smiled sweetly at that, while repeating my 'thank you' in her warm voice.
<<You are the only one that really understands me, please don't put your life in danger.>>

I just half smiled and squeezed the Neko's hand again while looking in the other direction. She giggled and rested her head on my shoulder. We stayed there for a while, enjoying the intimacy of the silent table. Maybe we should sit here more often, it was not a bad place to be.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2016 11:07 am

Tavern Rumours

Fourth part
Part 4
A sharp, sudden ring startled me as it broke the silence of the night. It was the front door. The series of low knocks that followed indicated me that it was a new job. I already knew that, no one visits me at this time of night. Not anymore. I got up from my chair and opened the door with a tattooed hand, inscribed with the image of a closed eye. Two young men that looked like they just ran a marathon were waiting behind it, breathing heavily, and one of them hastily handed me a piece of paper.

"This one's straight from the boss. You'll have to be quick." He said between his ragged breaths.

I answered him with a single nod to show him I was taking his news seriously. I had known Petrer for a long time and he always gave me useful information along with the orders. If this one was placed by the boss himself, then we could not afford to fail. I invited the two men inside as I read the paper and took in the details.

Two subjects this time, both female, Neko and Human. The place, their description and other useful information like known fighting experience followed. It also had an interesting instruction this time; 'do not capture or engage the male that may accompany them'. Things like that made my job interesting; it was hard to kidnap people without taking out their bodyguards.

I tore the paper into three pieces and swiftly wrote some instructions and materials on the back, then handed the notes to the men that were still recovering their breath.

"You know where to go." I stated, then looked at Petrer. "The second note is for the western backup team, so there's no need to rush on that one, they're closer to the objective than we are."

Petrer nodded then opened the door, motioning to his partner to come with him. The other man waved at me as farewell and went out.

"I'll invite you to a drink when we finish." I told Petrer just as he was going out as well. He flashed a smile to me and closed the door behind him. I could hear the light footsteps of the two messengers as they left in different directions.

"Time to get to work." I said to myself as I flexed my arms to stretch my muscles. It hadn't been long since I had woken up.

In a short time, I gathered some of the most delicate materials we needed; drugs, paralysers, suspiciously strong cables, magic energy drainers, unstable magic components, amongst other things you wouldn't want the police to see. The rest of my team were to store the other, safer items in case they were located by the authorities. After all, I was the only one with no family and nothing to lose, and also the only one under the boss' direct protection.

Whisper. The boss. He was a pure breed criminal from the poor streets, or so rumours claimed. No one ever remembers you for your deeds as a child, after all. No one except your friends, and the boss did have a lot of friends. Knowing people was his trade, and picking the right people for the right task, his art. I was the one chosen this time, so I'd better not fail.

I only needed to dress like a Middle-tierer and I would be ready.

The night. The lively Negav night extends in both directions of the street, making me remain unnoticed as I wait under a building's archway, my dark brown cape covering up to my eyes to protect me from cold and gazes alike. Not many can feel the magical mark I bear in my hand, and those that do are often too intoxicated with alcohol to care. Those who can care try to find another street to walk.

One by one, my group gathers together. We are five in total, and we slowly switch from stealth to disguise in order to not draw attention to ourselves. We start chatting about the latest fights in the Arena, about how that nameless guy won the female bounty hunter's heart by duel, and other pointless things. When we are all gathered together, I take out a neatly folded fibre bag, the many folds perfectly sealing its contents from the outside.

"Why do you like using this method so much, Rakihz?" One of my men asks me, a certain joking tone in his voice.
"Why, because it is exciting, and I get a kiss for my trouble." I answer jokingly as well.
"And you certainly don't mind who the kiss comes from." Adds another one.
"Nah, he's just starting to become addicted to the antidote. Who knows what he does with that bag when he gets back ho-"
"Hey, shut up. I'm trying to work here, stop distracting me." I cut them out, making them regain their focus on our current assignment.

I unfold the bag, taking care to hold the end closed. The more air that seeps in, the less effective it would be. I hold it up to my face and stare at the two men in front of me for half a second before I exhale, swiftly open the bag and seal it around my nose and mouth. I wait the few seconds that it takes for my body to burn through the rest of the oxygen within me, the need for air building up inside. And then, I breathe.

I inhale deeply, filling my chest with all the air of a bag vastly inferior to my lung capacity. It crumbles, but I keep inhaling, forcing the alchemical pebbles inside to produce more gas until I've had my fill. My consciousness starts fading.

I feel as if a thick nail has been hammered into my nose and through my skull. My eyes water, my throat burns. I feel myself fall, but two strong arms hold me while the bag is snatched away and folded once again.

We navigate the city like that, walking unnoticed as your average group with a hopelessly drunk friend. By the time we get to our destination, I have already recovered my balance. I look around, the location being familiar to me. In fact, we might be able to use part of the setup of a previous job.

"Okay, I want two trip wires set in case they try to escape. Fitz, the net and freeze magic." The Neko nods to me in understanding. "Mowes, you get the can opener."
"Now that's my way." He says, fishing the rifle out of his bag and putting it back together.
"O'Peneye, the cans. Water, flash and knockers. Hudens, what do you think about a blur barrier?"
"It's a good spot." He says simply.
"Perfect. After that, you know what to do."

He nods, and everyone starts to prepare their part as I keep watch. It doesn't take long, everthing we use is carefully crafted in pieces so as to be easy to carry or hide and fast to assemble. Except the magical barrier, that is.

As the appointed time nears, I spot a man coming towards us. My new contact in the city maintenance department. With his help, our setup to divert people away from our trap is far more believable; official signs, gear and tools for waterway repairs. He's actually a few minutes early, probably eager to prove he's trustworthy.

"Hello Rakihz." He greets me, unsure how to address a criminal.
"A pleasant night, Filo." I answer, and notice how his eyes wander towards the scenery at my back. "Don't worry, it'll be clean and silent." I affirm, fixing my gaze into his eyes. "As long as you do your part."
He nods nervously. "I will do it. You'll see."
I nod solemnly. "Remember, if someone questions you, we can find you witnesses that assure there was a breakdown and the water couldn't reach them. Now go."

The man turns around and leaves without a word. I smile to myself. He is scared, and that's good.

A slight breeze is the only thing heard throughout the street, no people, only shadows. Everything's set and waiting, the air vibrating slightly with sparks of magical energy. Tension seizes each and every one of us. The wait, more than the act itself, is what scares us the most. The wait where anything can happen, when anyone could come by despite our preparations.

The setup is simple, yet proven effective; a simulated repair enabling us to close up a street, combined with a neighbourhood under our control, where people know better than to look through the window when it's dark. Or that know to go ask the organization before the police.

I look up at the windows to my right, all of them shut tightly. It was clear they knew the drill, and while they... Suddenly, a characteristic mental noise assaults me, my mind expanding and sychronizing to an alien, intrusive presence. My hair stands on end, as it always does, as Hudens' telepathic link stabilizes, just a fraction of a second later. He's the scout on the lookout for the targets, as well as the person to contact in case of emergency.

""Boss. I got a runner. Says one of the targets came out alone, the hot, blonde one."" Hudens conveys, clearly not using his own words for the description.
""The hot, blonde one, huh? I remember there being a blonde in the description. Got it. I will deal with her quickly, you stay in your spot and support Mowes and O'Peneye. Feed me the updated details as we move, specially the ID and route. Oh, and get the runner to the backup team for transportation.""

I force myself to see over the mental feedback of the telepathy, taking a glance around. My team is still on the lookout, unbeknownst to the change of plans. I signal the two appropriate men to stay, then the Neko starts following me as I move, knowing the drill. Hudens' connection slowly disappears as he notices me moving and needing full control of my senses.

We don't bother to hide, as the target is already on the move. A new message will probably come with an updated route, so we just focus on closing the distance for now. We run past itinerant mages, firedancers, spectropeteers, drink dance-offs and many other night entertainments, each with their own crowd. Not many of them pay us heed, busy as they are cheering in merryment. It is about then when I receive a short connection: the target heads towards the Higher Tier. This is going to be interesting.

It is not long before we arrive to our position. The margin is narrow and we lack any barriers that conceal the fight, but it doesn't have to happen. I had someone from the backup team intercept the target disguised as a beggar to give Fitz time to set up a rought trip wire trap as safeguard and prepare his equipment. He then stands put, as do I further up the street, for our girl to appear.

She comes up from behind a corner, and I identify her as our target immediately. She really is a Human beauty, tall, young, with a beautiful blonde mane, and although she has made an effort to look like a Middle-tierer, a hair like that is a clear mark from the Higher Tier. The boss has a good eye. And I am lucky too, I may be able to steal her first kiss. My emotion comes out a bit too clearly as my tail starts to wag. Well damnit, too late to calm down.

I start walking down the street in the opposite way as her. Wagging all the way, my presence is just a distraction from the real threat. As I salute her politely, Fitz appears from a side street slightly behind the Human. He's expertly waving a net over his head with silent motions, and carefully throws it at her.

Surprisingly, the girl seems to sense something and reacts, crouching under the net's trajectory. It passes mere inches from me, making me stop in my tracks. The blonde then tries to recover her stance with Neko-like agility, but she slips on the newly formed ice sheet at her feet with a small cry. That's the opportunity I was waiting for.

I swiftly take a step forward and support her body with my arms, at the same time as I kiss her vulnerable open mouth. She doesn't have time to reject it as my tongue touches hers, the substance that coats it sending a shocking signal up her nerves that's enough to overwhelm and deactivate her brain. The Human girl becomes limp under my hold, the added weight making me slip and fall as well in an awkward position. I can hear you laughing, Fitz. The backup team comes to my rescue just in time, and they carry the subject away in the blink of an eye. It is only a minute before we disarm the trip wire and leave, unseen and unnoticed.

With no time to lose, Fitz and I run back towards the ambush spot. We are more careful now, avoiding going down the streets we used before, or passing by the same entertainments we came across, as they tend to move from place to place during the night. While there are no news about the second target and the bodyguard, they could still be heading towards the trap.

We slow down and take different paths as we get close, slipping into the shadows and keeping low while we take back our posts. Nothing has changed, no unforeseen events, the team is still waiting for our other target to show up.

I yawn. The toxin on my tongue is starting to tickle a bit, so I carefully remove it with a special instrument. I place the waste in a small container, add a few drops of a reagent to make it mostly harmless, and put everything away into my bag while deep in though. Well, it seems like I will soon be unable to use the same method. I'm building up resistance to the antidote, and every time I get less time before I'm vulnerable to the drug. I'll have to pass on the art of the Gentle Kiss to one of the boys... sometime. Not now, at least, I've still a lot to give.

Time passes as I think about such matters, and I barely notice the moon shining its light above, then past our street before I get a familiar feeling again. It's Hudens, it seems like the rest of the operation is called off. I stretch a bit before telling the others: it's time to go home and rest, we did a good job tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ilceren's little notebook   Ilceren's little notebook Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ilceren's little notebook
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: Stories discussion-
Jump to: