Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Credits on the wiki

Go down 
+3
Jasconius
EvilGenius
Shady Knight
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Credits on the wiki Empty
PostSubject: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 pm

This only occurred to me recently, but the way credits in the wiki are laid out isn't very terrible. They're placed at the very bottom of the page, and the individual person to credit are space so closely, it can be difficult to see if someone is to be credited for that one idea or not. Furthermore, it's easy to look for the idea that's relatively early in the page, read it, and then forget to scroll all the way down to see if is to be credited for it or not.

I would like to propose a change on how credit is given on the wiki. Rather than lumping everyone at the bottom of the page, like they're an afterthought, I suggest each individual person to be credited be written either next to the idea on the page, or in brackets at the end of the idea's description. This would mostly apply to fauna and flora idea, where multiple ideas are listed in a single page, then everyone who deserve credit are lump in a single pile at the end.

This would be far easier for newcomer to find who contributed to this idea and may in fact allow more credit to be given where it's due.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 pm

I second this. I think it is an excellent idea that will indeed promote, and ease the process of, credit providing.
Back to top Go down
Jasconius
Survivor
Survivor
Jasconius

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 pm

While I don't have much of a problem with it as it is now, I wouldn't mind offering an alternative solution.

---------------
An example:

This is the Fauna8 page as it is now

Credits to Wowandwas for the Lermenin and snow tiger, to Randomdude for the Ice wyrm and Ice kensha, to Jaette-troll for the Idariks, Taraneis and Bereffs, to Archmage Bael for his help on writting some entries, and to Oldman40k2003 for his great help at editing. ^_^

Here is a possible alternative solution

Credits to:
* Jaette-troll for Bereffs, Idariks, and Taraneis
* Randomdude for the Ice kensha and Ice wyrm
* Wowandwas for the Lermenin and Snow tiger

Special thanks to:
* Archmage Bael for his help on writing some entries
* Oldman40k2003 for his great help at editing

This places the names (both the creators and creations) in alphabetical order and makes it easier to read without having to go through the entire page and adding credit everywhere.

Possibly taken even further via:

Credits to:
*Jaette-troll for
**Bereffs
**Idariks
**Taraneis
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

That would help organize the wiki, but people would still be forced to scroll all the way down to check who's the idea is, thus it wouldn't facilitate credit giving.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Mine would be a little complicated because there was a point a while back where there were a ton of unwritten entries that have been neglected for years. the original writers could not be contacted and all we had were the names, so I essentially rewrote the entries based on the names alone, and I did that for a couple dozen ideas as well, including the flying whale, but I cant remember much. Randomdude678 or whoever was responsible for the Ice Wyrm was like one of the only people I was able to contact.

However I cannot remember all of the ideas I wrote, so I'm not sure how that would go.
Back to top Go down
Solomon

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 6:50 pm

if we're going to give credit where credit is due, then Walkingbyself and I along with everyone else whose helped with the Kitsunes should get credited as well.

on another note I to premote this idea
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2012 7:57 am

Since this is taking a while for the modship to actually see this, I suppose I should showcase an example of how I think credit should be given in the wiki.

Starkala Bug

<info about the Starkala Bug>

(Credits to Icalasari for the Starkala Bug)

Duiker

<info about the Duiker>

(Credits to Zoekin for the Duiker)

Kensha Beast

<info about the Kensha Beast>

(Credits to randomdude678 for the Kensha Beast)

This is going to be especially important for flora section, due to the enormous amount of people to credit there, all shoved down at the bottom of the page without any regard for organization whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 1:09 am

mhh well that's a valid point indeed, thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to look into that.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 12:48 pm

As I posted previously, only special mentions like oldman and myself would be down at the bottom? or how would that work?

Anyway as I've also said before. good idea, completely necessary I think.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm guessing you'd be credited individually per entry. There's no point in shoving a name at the bottom if proper etiquette needs the person to be credited, and being at the bottom is counter-intuitive for newcomers.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 3:17 pm

true.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 10:32 am

Oh, while I'm at it, making the pages on locations more organized, such as changing a single "inhabitants" category as two categories listed as "Fauna" and "Flora". This would make it easier to recognize what kind of plants and animals you can find. For that, adding the non-carnivorous plants, unless they're near ubiquitous in Felarya. to those parts of the entry will make stories where finding one such plants more accurate and easier to write.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Wikipedia has a system on pages where citations appear at the end of sentences in little brackets like this: [1] and link to entries in the citation list at the bottom of the page. Perhaps we could use that format for linking within the text to entries in the credits list at the bottom.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 5:19 am

This still leaves the problem: The fauna and flora pages are lists. Nothing incites the average Joes around to go look at the bottom for credit, partly because nothing tells them to, and even if they did, they most likely wouldn't notice it. So your suggestion of citations doesn't work in these circumstances.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:54 am

Yeah I support Shady Knight with this. We need this because our lists are very long now, just like the citations at the bottom of the pages are basically little paragraphs of their own. It was fine when the wiki had less stuff on it, but not anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Credits on the wiki   Credits on the wiki Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Credits on the wiki
Page 1 of 1