HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Undines

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Black Boo
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Undines   Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:28 pm

An idea that came into my mind based on the mythical creatures of the same name.

Concept sketch (linked for nudity)
http://i45.tinypic.com/a2ywwl.jpg

Undine (Oohn-DEE-nee)

Aliases: Ondine, Water Nymph, Sea Angel, Ocean Spirit

Locations: Rivers, lakes, oceans

The Undines are what can be considered as the missing link between humans and Ichthys, retaining many of the behavioral habits of their fishier cousins. They are much more humanoid in appearance than ichthys, but they still retain the fish-like attributes. Unlike their cousins, the undine's arm fins are just above the wrist rather than being placed at the elbow. Their other fins can be located on their heads, one at the top and one on each side, the latter akin to those of mermaids such as Anko. They also possess a long fin on their back, and webbed feet for swimming.

Like mermaids, undines vary greatly in size and appearance. Some undines can be as small as three feet tall, while others can measure to a massive two-hundred feet. Their scales and hair will normally be of similar hue and pigment, depending on the individual. Undines are known to have many patterns, be it solid, gradient, spotted, or striped. Undines can have either scales, skin, or a combination of the two covering their bodies, this also varies between individuals.

When swimming, an undine will fold in the fins on it's head completely for better aquadynamics. They swim in an arcing S-motion, similar to dolphins, with their arms forward and legs together to better use their fins and webbed feet. Undines also possess the ability to manipulate water to an extent. They will use it to aid in swimming, producing a localized current for extra speed.

The behaviors and diets of undines, will vary depending on size. Smaller undines will feed on sea flora and fish, while the larger undines will feed on much larger fish and humans.

The communication method of Undines is similar to that of dolphins when underwater. Their speech is on an altered frequency that is able to pierce the water and efficiently reach other undines.

--------------

Well there we have it. This is literally a one shot, and I did it right here on the spot out of a burst of inspiration.

I also played it better save than sorry by linking to the image, since I'm not sure about the image posting policies here.

Last edited by Black Boo on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 am

They sound good to me, nothing contradictory from what I see.
Looking at the picture, I'm guessing they have normal skin and ocassional scales, or it is a scaly skin and some marks in other colours?
Also, now that I think about it, do they have a special underwater communication techinque?

Black Boo
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Good points.

I'm thinking that it would vary from individual to individual. Or perhaps they would have very soft scales on their fronts, or perhaps no scales, but their backs would be scales. I see the undines like the fish of the sea. You can't generalize them. Perhaps they'll have shark/dolphin like skin on their fronts with scales on their backs. That seems logical to me.

Y'know what, yeah, I know now. There are some that merely have skin, some with half skin, half scales, ad some that are entirely scaled. That sounds the most logical to me.

As for underwater communication, I would imagine it would be similar to mermaids, who seem to talk underwater without trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Black Boo wrote:
As for underwater communication, I would imagine it would be similar to mermaids, who seem to talk underwater without trouble.
Mermaids use a special song or something to talk underwater, IIRC.

Black Boo
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Ilceren wrote:
Black Boo wrote:
Mermaids use a special song or something to talk underwater, IIRC.

Hmm. Well, y'know, maybe a type of sonar would be efficient. Similar to Aquaman's fish telepathy. Or sound on a different frequency that can actually travel well through water. That sounds much better to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:10 am

Yeah, you mean pretty much what dolphins do, right? The Mermaid song was modelled after the whale song, I believe, so it's only logical to pick how other water animals communicate.

Black Boo
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Ilceren wrote:
Yeah, you mean pretty much what dolphins do, right? The Mermaid song was modelled after the whale song, I believe, so it's only logical to pick how other water animals communicate.
Hitting the nail on the head there, bud.

Right, that's out of the way, I suppose. I'll update the post with it later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:28 am

This idea is awesome! I love the artisristy behind it and the fact it's based on mythology! Good work, Black Boo. Also even though they're not done mind if I tried to make a character design?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Boo
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
This idea is awesome! I love the artisristy behind it and the fact it's based on mythology! Good work, Black Boo. Also even though they're not done mind if I tried to make a character design?
You go right on ahead. I'll add in the part about communications right now, and then I think they'll be finished.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Boo
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Submitted to deviantART and the Felarya group there. Also updated the topic with information about their skin and scales.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Undines   Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Black Boo wrote:
jedi-explorer wrote:
You go right on ahead. I'll add in the part about communications right now, and then I think they'll be finished.

Sweet thanks! I wanted something brand new to draw anyway. ^_^

Quote :
Submitted to deviantART and the Felarya group there. Also updated the topic with information about their skin and scales.

Ooh I'll have to give it a lookie-loo and some coments then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Undines   

Back to top Go down

Undines
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion :: Nagas and Mermaids-
Jump to: