Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Brain Stem

Go down 
+3
Ilceren
Shady Knight
BlackAion
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 5:45 pm

After a very long rest period from Felarya, I have come to my brothers and possible sisters a question. If the brain stem of any giant-sized creature, sentient and non-sentient, was destroyed would that creature or person die.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 6:08 pm

That's a very good question, and the answer is: yes. However, that is assuming you can actually hit it and that whatever hits around that area is able to not only pierce through several insanely thick layers of skin, but capable of causing substantial damage.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 am

Not only skin, but bone. The brain stem is protected by the skull, so maybe you should try better luck trying to cut the spinal cord at the height of the neck, which would still cause death. Also, keep in mind that invertebrate-based taurus may have a different nervous system than that of vertebrate-based ones.

Picture for reference:

The Brain Stem Pons_corpus
Back to top Go down
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Thank you now the question I must ask now is... Which canon weapon, that is also available to everyone, has enough ...Sharpness? to cut through all that skin to get to the neck.

P.S. I have done some research, the destruction of the brain stem equals instanteous death.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Answer: None. The idea that a weapon can not only hit with enough precision and lethality to instantly fell a giant wouldn't be available to the common adventurer. That's stuff left for the military. Remember, civilians are not going to bother with such a dangerous place when they live in mostly absolute safety within city walls, and adventurers are going in the wild for their personal gain, thus being supplied military equipment wouldn't benefit the city in any shape or form. Furthermore, weapons that powerful would be expensive, further reason why they wouldn't be mass produced to the point civilians can legally acquire them.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:06 pm

BlackAion wrote:
Thank you now the question I must ask now is... Which canon weapon, that is also available to everyone, has enough ...Sharpness? to cut through all that skin to get to the neck.

The question about how firearm can injure giant predators had been already discuss in the forum. As I remember there is a real life weapon with enough penetration force to seriously hurt a giant predator but it has three drawback, 1) the ammo are very heavy so you can't carry more than few round so easily, it takes time to reload and three it make a lot of noise when you shoot.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, you can manage to kill a Naga shooting it at the spine with an elephant hunting rifle, since they are designed to be usable even if the elephant is charging at you and they have pretty good penetration power. I don't know about the bullets, but it will do a lot of noise, as gwada said.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Ilceren wrote:
I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, you can manage to kill a Naga shooting it at the spine with an elephant hunting rifle, since they are designed to be usable even if the elephant is charging at you and have pretty good penetration power.
A human or an elephant size naga yes but you have to remember giant Naga are in overall bigger than an elephant. The bigger the target is the bigger and heavier the bullet is and the weapon I was talking about is not a hunting weapon but a military ones in the range of an anti tank weapon

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit the quote and adding.)
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Well, I was saying the neck specifically. A 100-feet-tall naga would have a neck of around 6-10 feet in thickness. If you try to get the spine, you'll shoot from behind, so make it half the thickness, and...

Hm, scratch that. I've just realized that the spine would be a lot bigger that the bullet, and even if you hit it, you would probably not kill the naga. Actually, non-explosive proyectiles would need to be as big as your head to do some serious damage, now that I think about it.

Last edited by Ilceren on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Oh-so-stupid mistakes)
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 5:15 pm

And even then, it wouldn't be an easy target to hit, considering that a naga, or any other predator for that matter, would be looking for you, so that smaller target would be constantly moving, thus even more difficult to hit. In the end, it simply wouldn't be worth it. Yes, if you get lucky, you may kill her, but you'll alert everything in vicinity, and really, one dead giant isn't a matter to celebrate.
Back to top Go down
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:50 am

Shady Knight wrote:
Answer: None. The idea that a weapon can not only hit with enough precision and lethality to instantly fell a giant wouldn't be available to the common adventurer. That's stuff left for the military. Remember, civilians are not going to bother with such a dangerous place when they live in mostly absolute safety within city walls, and adventurers are going in the wild for their personal gain, thus being supplied military equipment wouldn't benefit the city in any shape or form. Furthermore, weapons that powerful would be expensive, further reason why they wouldn't be mass produced to the point civilians can legally acquire them.

Remember, that's even if you get to the neck to fire/slice/destroy the brain stem. Although, I can see a large group of suicidal dudes looking for fame who also are not stupid, plan way ahead before luring in a giant-sized creature.
Back to top Go down
BlackAion
Naga food
BlackAion

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 am

Shady Knight wrote:
Yes, if you get lucky, you may kill her, but you'll alert everything in vicinity, and really, one dead giant isn't a matter to celebrate.

Are you refering to the regected elephant gun idea when you said this?
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Dead Space's Line Gun. Crazy penetration, non-military, multiple shots, and non-offensive applications. That or the Javelin Gun, which might be driven by electromagnetism to fire its' projectile at insane speeds. Even if it doesn't kill instantly, you do have the electrocuting alt-fire.

Of course, they're not going to be easy to acquire.

Wait... would a pred be protected from the effects of eating Necromorph flesh? I've heard the immune system protects against viruses and bacteria in this universe, but what about artifact-driven zombie mutant abominations?

Also, what about massive electric weapons for stunning? Ballista-fired taser barbs and the like?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Yeah, a gigantic gun will probably kill a gigantic chick.

Zombies cannot be created in Felarya, whether by artifact or zombie.

As for massive electric weapons for stunning, I think that'll do. They're massive, though.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:50 am

Stabs wrote:
As for massive electric weapons for stunning, I think that'll do. They're massive, though.
The issue of course is mobility and a power source. Going to be hard to quickly bring two ballistae to bear.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 am

Made doubly troublesome with the dense jungle and other terrain that don't like vehicles coming through.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 11:23 am

Stabs wrote:

Zombies cannot be created in Felarya, whether by artifact or zombie.

Actually, I beg to differ on that. Now, I am not an expert on how all of Felarya's magic works, but a zombie created because of a parasite, for example Flood, might not only work but also be capable of spreading. It does not use necromancy or the immune system, so it would not fall under either catagory. Technically it isn't even a zombie since it is a living parasite using a dead body as a host. But it is about as close as one could get.

Unless there is something that I don't know about that prevents parasites like that from being able to do something like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 11:40 am

Anything that involves recalling a soul from the afterlife and forcing it back to a dead body doesn't work, so (D&D) spells like Raise Dead, or even True Resurrection don't work in Felarya. This is more of a mean to make death as costly as possible. Also, it's best that you don't think about anything like the Flood. No one is going to seriously to see a crossover between Felarya and Halo as anything that would ever happen in official material. Really, you can try looking for loopholes as much as you want, and there are certainly loopholes, but it's best that you keep the mentality that death is permanent in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
Made doubly troublesome with the dense jungle and other terrain that don't like vehicles coming through.
But if the trees have enough separation for a giant naga, they also have enough for a vehicle. The terrain would be uneven and rough, but there would be enough space. The places were a vehicle can't actually go through are places that can be used as a relatively safe spot in the middle of the jungle, so they are desireable, even.
Back to top Go down
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Oh no, I don't mean it in a crossover fasion. It's just that the Flood are the only parasites that I know of that are both well known, and do something like that. And yes, death is permanent, but then this really isn't bringing anyone back from the dead, just using a dead body. The problem comes in with finding a ransom corpse. Most deaths are caused by getting eaten. Any other corpses would probably be eaten very quickly by scavengers. The only way a race of parasites like that could exist is somewhere with a lack of predators and scavengers. Some place a body could lay around for a while and be mostly undisturbed. Like in the deepest and darkest reaches of any underground caverns, or possibly a desert and/or tundra.

Yeah, I knew those spells don't work. I like it to be honest. Adds a bit of a special danger to the world. You die here you are dead for good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

The Brain Stem Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Brain Stem   The Brain Stem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Brain Stem
Page 1 of 1